Apple Vision Pro followup expected to be a more affordable, cut-down model

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

A rumored cheaper variant of the Apple Vision Pro could be considerably cheaper than the initial release, with Apple aiming to reduce the cost of components by half.

Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park
Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park

The Apple Vision Pro is a very specialized piece of hardware, and with an expensive $3,499 price tag to match. While the first release will be a premium product, Apple is allegedly coming up with cheaper versions.

In a Tuesday DigiTimes report citing industry sources, Apple is working on four versions of headset for the second-generation Apple Vision Pro. Sources have confirmed two will eventually be released, with a variance in pricing.

Of the two probable releases, one will be a high-specification variant with premium pricing, reminiscent of the Apple Vision Pro. The second, more likely to be the mass-market edition, will apparently be more price-conscious.

It is unknown what the purpose of the other two models will be.

That second model's price will heavily rely on how much Apple can cut the cost to produce it. To that end, Apple is apparently aiming to reduce the Bill of Materials down to half of what the Apple Vision Pro costs the company.

Sample production for the value-oriented version will apparently take place in the second half of 2024, with a launch anticipated for the second half of 2025.

While DigiTimes has a fairly OK track record when it comes to supply chain matters, it isn't too hot about specifications. However, this rumor does seem quite plausible.

Earlier reports on Apple's headset development plans have touched upon a second edition with a lower price tag than the Apple Vision Pro. In October, it was proposed that a version without the external display, lower-resolution internal displays, and a lower grade of chip instead of Apple Silicon could cost consumers a more wallet-friendly $2,000.

Read on AppleInsider

FileMakerFeller

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    For even $2000, I would rather pay a little bit more and get a MacBook Pro instead.
    williamlondondesignr
  • Reply 2 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,087member
    For even $2000, I would rather pay a little bit more and get a MacBook Pro instead.
    I don't think the MBP does what the AVP does. YMMV. 

williamlondonronnFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajwdawso
  • Reply 3 of 40
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,087member
    This is an actual question: what new device has Apple offered in the past where this happened? IOW, the premium version came out, and then afterwards a less expensive option was offered shortly thereafter. I'm not convinced this is Apple's plan at all. Get the costs of parts down? Sure. They *always* do that, and the difference goes into their bank, not to lower priced stuff. Over time perhaps the devices get way more capable for about the same price, but that's not what is posited here. 

The only thing I can think of is the original iPhone: people complained when they bought one at full price (over $500!) and then a few months later Apple dropped the price. Purchasers complained, and Apple (Steve) offered refunds. 

I *can* sorta imagine Apple offering a new and distinguishable "virtual computing device" of some sort; but not just a less capable, less expensive, AVP.
    williamlondonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 40
    I *can* sorta imagine Apple offering a new and distinguishable "virtual computing device" of some sort; but not just a less capable, less expensive, AVP.

In proper English it’s ’sort of’ not sorta. 
    Won’t you Yankees ever learn?

williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 40
    no way, 1999 with "worst" displays or processor, apple cant remove the eyesight feature, my thoughts...

Vision $899 (Axx Pro) 
    Vision Pro 1399 (M1 Pro)
    Vision Pro 1999 (M2 Pro)
    Vision Pro  2499 (M3)

B) 
    edited November 2023 williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 40
    eightzero said:
    This is an actual question: what new device has Apple offered in the past where this happened? IOW, the premium version came out, and then afterwards a less expensive option was offered shortly thereafter. I'm not convinced this is Apple's plan at all. Get the costs of parts down? Sure. They *always* do that, and the difference goes into their bank, not to lower priced stuff. Over time perhaps the devices get way more capable for about the same price, but that's not what is posited here. 

The only thing I can think of is the original iPhone: people complained when they bought one at full price (over $500!) and then a few months later Apple dropped the price. Purchasers complained, and Apple (Steve) offered refunds. 

iPhone SE would be an apt comparison.
    ronneightzeroaderutterjwdawso
  • Reply 7 of 40

Not a comparison that makes sense.

It is either an accessory to a MacBook Pro to use as part of a virtual workspace or stands alone as a spatial operating system capable of more immersive media.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 40

Afarstar said:

Why not? All of Apples other products have separate consumer and pro lines. Apple may be able to get away with a less powerful chip since the general use case will be apps and media consumption. The iPhone processor is much more powerful then what the Meta Quest 3 has.

Powerful VR experiences closer to PC VR rigs may be limited to the pro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Afarstar said:

Seems to me you can't get much more "proper English" than the Oxford English Dictionary:

😎

Xed
  • Reply 10 of 40

Afarstar said:

Why not? All of Apples other products have separate consumer and pro lines. Apple may be able to get away with a less powerful chip since the general use case will be apps and media consumption. The iPhone processor is much more powerful then what the Meta Quest 3 has.

For me it's a matter of timeframe. Apple is absolutely planning for multiple price tiers for the AVP, but they won't implement them until supply gets close to exceeding demand. Right now the bottleneck is the screens - supply is constrained and we don't know exactly when that will be rectified, but I doubt it will be in time for "version 2" of the device.

The one certainty is that Apple will not make any compromises on the quality of the experience. Any "low cost model" will be at least as capable as the first version of the AVP, and Apple will focus on how the "Apple Vision" is a wonderful experience and the Apple Vision Pro is even better.
    eightzerowatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    XedXed Posts: 2,629member
    Like others, I'm not sure I understand your post, but I will say that if I had no main computing device and $3500 to spend I absolutely choose a MacBook Pro. I'd also choose a $3500 MacBook Pro over any iPhone or iPad as my main computing device. I just prefer a Mac notebook as primary computer, but that isn't to say that I don't use an iPad, iPhone, or Apple Watch. I'd love to try out AVP and if I feel there's a use case that warrants the cost I'll buy it. Currently I'm thinking that commercial flights might a great use for it but since I don't fly nearly as much as I used to I'm not ready to write a check.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Afarstar said:

If that's a serious post then... 🤦‍♂️
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 40
    eightzero said:

I haven't done an exhaustive search but the iPod mini was launched less than 2.5 years after the launch of the original iPod. That seems like it would be inline with this current rumor for the Apple Vision.

Also, while it took 3.5 years, the Apple TV went from a $300/$400 device for the first generation to a $99 device for the 2nd generation. Not exactly the same as the functionality was overall better with the 2nd gem, but it was a major drop in price once they moved from being macOS to iOS based, something that won't happen with Apple Vision OS or HW.

eightzero said:

iPhone SE would be an apt comparison.
    The iPhone SE came out in 2016 with the original iPhone launching in 2007. The iPhone 5c launched in 2013 as first less expensive model with older tech that wasn't just last year's model with a price drop.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    I suspect they won’t remove the eyesight feature, but they might reduce the resolution for both the eyesight feature and the wearer’ visible resolution and also the quality of materials for a more consumer focused version (along with a change to lenses, likely using a new dedicated ASi to change the vision/focus on the fly? - maybe they’ll call that new chip V1 or F1).

Of course, with less resolution comes less processing requirements so I think V2 consumer unit will have same ASi processor as the V1 (by which time it’s cost will have greatly reduced), but the V2 Pro will have better ASi chips. So either M2 or M3 in V1 Pro, same in V2 Consumer and M3 or M4 in V2 Pro. imho. I would hope that the V1 Pro gets M3 not the previously indicated M2 unless M3 is just not needed. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 40
    I don’t think they will be able to differentiate products within the line like their other devices.  The experience has to be at a certain standard, and I don’t know how they will be able to cut costs without sacrificing the experience.  Component costs would have to reduce drastically, so this would be years from now.  But even then, this will still be a product north of $2k.
    kiltedgreenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40

Afarstar said:

For me it's a matter of timeframe. Apple is absolutely planning for multiple price tiers for the AVP, but they won't implement them until supply gets close to exceeding demand. Right now the bottleneck is the screens - supply is constrained and we don't know exactly when that will be rectified, but I doubt it will be in time for "version 2" of the device.

The one certainty is that Apple will not make any compromises on the quality of the experience. Any "low cost model" will be at least as capable as the first version of the AVP, and Apple will focus on how the "Apple Vision" is a wonderful experience and the Apple Vision Pro is even better.
    The rumors are a A-series chip in the non-pro version. I think where Apple will not compromise is in areas that affect comfort. Who knows, maybe an A-series chip with R1 built in. Additionally we are talking at least a couple years of advances in A-series chips before it releases.

Apple would like to get visionOS in glasses one day. That means less power, not more power. I think we will see a range of capabilities. If you are really buying for more than casual gaming or for 3D modeling then the Pro model is likely needed. I imagine the standard model will run flat apps and play movies just fine, but with fewer batteries and longer runtime.

Additionally, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Apple release an AR version of their upscaling technology to lower hardware requirements. Qualcomm recently released their own version of this. It is tricky to do since you wouldn’t want to do that for text rendering, but I’d be surprised if we don’t see it by the next model.
    edited November 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    eightzero said:
    This is an actual question: what new device has Apple offered in the past where this happened? IOW, the premium version came out, and then afterwards a less expensive option was offered shortly thereafter. 
    I guarantee Apple doesn’t have a playbook they follow for new products.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 40
    eightzero said:
    This is an actual question: what new device has Apple offered in the past where this happened? IOW, the premium version came out, and then afterwards a less expensive option was offered shortly thereafter. 
    I guarantee Apple doesn’t have a playbook they follow for new products.
    That would be exceedingly foolish to have no strategies for a new product (or anything else) in a multi-trillion dollar company.
    edited November 2023 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40

Afarstar said:

The rumors are a A-series chip in the non-pro version. I think where Apple will not compromise is in areas that affect comfort. Who knows, maybe an A-series chip with R1 built in. Additionally we are talking at least a couple years of advances in A-series chips before it releases.

Apple would like to get visionOS in glasses one day. That means less power, not more power. I think we will see a range of capabilities. If you are really buying for more than casual gaming or for 3D modeling then the Pro model is likely needed. I imagine the standard model will run flat apps and play movies just fine, but with fewer batteries and longer runtime.

Additionally, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Apple release an AR version of their upscaling technology to lower hardware requirements. Qualcomm recently released their own version of this. It is tricky to do since you wouldn’t want to do that for text rendering, but I’d be surprised if we don’t see it by the next model.
    Then you're talking AR, not VR, and I've seen nothing that indicates that this is where Apple is taking all this in the near future when they've clearly made AR a feature of their VR experience.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 40
    danoxdanox Posts: 3,003member

Apple must be on to something big if so many are crying Apple please make it cheaper, and the Apple Vision Pro hasn't even been released yet. I would recommend opening a brokerage account, if you haven't already done so and buy Apple shares before the release early next year of Apple Vision Pro after all Apple has given everyone a heads up six months ago most of general public is still oblivious.

Steve Jobs coming back, iMac, OSX, iPod, iPhone, iPad, A-Series chip, Apple Silicon, Apple Watch, Air Pods, with the imminent release of the Apple Vision Pro, with that sexy R1 chip there is another rumble in the force. And I don't mean the hairstyle of a certain Apple executive. :)
    williamlondonkiltedgreenwatto_cobra