Beeper's CEO wants to sue Apple for blocking its iMessage bridge hack

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2023

Eric Migicovsky insists his Beeper Mini will continue despite Apple's best efforts to prevent it bringing iMessage blue speech bubbles to Android.

Beeper Mini
Beeper Mini

Beeper Mini is, or is continually trying to be, a way to get iMessage without buying an iPhone -- although users might have to get access to a Mac. Since the start of December 2023, Beeper has launched a service to do this, then Apple blocked it, then Beeper tried another way.

According to The Information, this cycle is going to continue, too, as Beeper CEO Eric Migicovsky maintains that his company will persist -- and could take legal action, too.

"We're investigating legal ramifications for Apple, definitely," said Migicovsky. "Around antitrust, around competition, around how they've made the experience worse for iPhone users with this change."

"They've degraded the performance of iMessage for iPhone users," he continued, "all in search of crushing a competitor."

"These techniques posed a significant risk to user security and privacy," responded Apple. "We took steps to protect our users by blocking techniques that exploit fake credentials in order to gain access to iMessage."

When an Android user signs up to Beeper Mini, the Beeper company registers them with iMessage through a Mac. Initially, that Mac would be one of many owned by Beeper itself, but Apple was able to block that.

So at present, Beeper Mini users need access to a Mac of their own, or a friend's. Via the Mac, they register with iMessage as if they were using an Apple device.

Migicovsky denies that this is in any way a security issue and derides Apple's stance on it.

"I think of [Apple's response] '1984' doublespeak," he said. "Beeper Mini makes iPhone customers' communication more secure."

Beeper is not going away

The Beeper CEO says that "our long-term vision is not to build an iMessage client for Android," but rather to provide one app that supports many messaging services.

At present, though, he argues that Apple is unfairly locking people out of its services.

"Apple has monopoly powers [as] the largest phone maker in the US," he said. "More than 50% of the US uses an iPhone [and] iMessage is the default... on that device."

There does appear to be demand for iMessage from Android users. Migicovsky says that "within 48 hours [of launch] we went from zero in revenue to $1 million in annualized run rate."

"Our conversion from download to paid trial hovered around 50%," he continued. "Normally, consumer apps are 5%, 10% at the most."

Android users are not prevented from messaging iPhone owners. While choosing not to use iPhones and iMessage, their messages appear in a green bubble instead of a blue one.

There is also the issue that in a group conversation, Android users won't get the same quality images as iPhone owners.

However, Apple has now committed to supporting the RCS messaging protocol which will allow for more rich data being sent between iPhones and Android, without an intermediate service like Beeper.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    If you want to communicate with Android users, use WhatsApp! Simples! What is all the fuss about?
    ronnStrangeDaysAlex1Nstrongy
  • Reply 2 of 22
    This is weird. Beeper is not a competitor to iMessage. Telegram, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Snapchat, Signal, etc are competitors -Beeper is just a security issue attacking one of the messaging apps.
    ronnStrangeDaysAnilu_777Alex1Nstrongywatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 22
    Seems like they are into illegal impersonations of other people to gain access for their product.

They are currently spoofing on their Macs that they are many different Apple customers.

What a security nightmare.

So if they get ahold of a real Apple customers' credentials, they could sign up lots of folks using that account?
    ronnAnilu_777Alex1Nstrongywatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Nothing but PR. Apple would obviously destroy this company legally if it wanted to.  Beeper poses no threat to them legally and so they will just keep swatting them away like flies.  

Anilu_777Alex1Nigorskywatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Proof that these clowns learn nothing from history.

I remember when PalmPilot tried to pull a similar stunt by pretending to be an iPod in order to connnect/sync to iTunes.  So where's PalmPilot now?  Exactly.

Is Beeper's CEO originally from PalmPilot?
    Anilu_777Alex1Nwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    This is patently absurd. Basically the CEO of Beeper openly admitted he wants to steal the iMessage app. Nothing stops anyone from using WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Facebook Messenger, etc. iPhone users can use any of these apps without issues. 

If this was about fair competition, Beeper would not require any interoperability with iMessage. They would just offer what Telegram and Signal offer. There is no business need to be able to display as a blue bubble in iMessage, which is what this kerfuffle is all about.

It is not anticompetitive to offer an in-house app that has limited scope, nor does it stifle innovation or competition. There are dozens of calendar apps that offer better user experiences as Apple’s Calendar, and you don’t even need to have Calendar running in the background anymore. There are dozens of to do apps that are for more robust than Apple’s And there are a number of security-driven messenger apps iOS users can use instead of iMessage. All Apple is doing is providing out of the box functionality for user convenience. And *unlike* Microsoft in the 90s, iOS is, globally, only 20% of the market, and in the US, it’s nearly a 50/50 split. This is. not market dominance, and you cannot claim “monopoly” when that market is not a super majority. 

If Beeper wants to compete in the Apple ecosystem. maybe they shouldn’t be doing so by stealing code, and just offer their own alternative to iMessage.
    Anilu_777Alex1Nigorskystrongyronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    If iMessage is such a hot property I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple is considering to make it its own profit center and make it a subscription service. They could probably get $5 to $10 per month. They would just have to weigh the benefits of it vs the cost due to losing some iPhone sales.
    StrangeDaysAlex1Nwilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 22
    why would anyone pay for this service.  it is dumb.  so many alternatives that are free.  
    strongywatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member
    Uh oh, it seems the author doesn’t understand how beeper mini works.
    Anilu_777williamlondonmikelpr
  • Reply 10 of 22
    sirdirsirdir Posts: 188member
    araquen said:

If Beeper wants to compete in the Apple ecosystem. maybe they shouldn’t be doing so by stealing code, and just offer their own alternative to iMessage.
    What code did they steal? What if I want to iMessage my family, not use an alternative? That’s the whole point
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 22
    sirdir said:

What code did they steal? What if I want to iMessage my family, not use an alternative? That’s the whole point

What if I want to use a Ferrari to go visit my family? I either steal a Ferrari or own one. Or if I can just use a different car to get there.

If you want to iMessage your family, get an iPhone. If you can't, use a different message app. You will still communicate with your family. 

Anilu_777igorskystrongyronnwatto_cobraRespite
  • Reply 12 of 22
    It’s simple if you want to use an easier and better designed messaging service just get an iPhone simple. Why should android users complain and why should governments intervene. It is Apple's platform so they should be able to choose who can use it. If android users are so angry then they can just try to make their own platform that is better that iMessage, but I don’t think that will happen while I am alive. 
    Anilu_777strongywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 22
    davidwdavidw Posts: 2,053member
    sflocal said:

I remember when PalmPilot tried to pull a similar stunt by pretending to be an iPod in order to connnect/sync to iTunes.  So where's PalmPilot now?  Exactly.

Let's not forget more recently (2009)  Apple vs Psystar, where Psystar claim they had the right to use OSX on computers, that they sold under their own brand. This is similar to Beeper Mini here, using iMessage to market their own messaging service. Beeper Mini has as much rights to market a messaging service that uses iMessage as Psystar had to market a computer that uses OSX ...... which is none at all. Claiming Apple is being anti-competitive by protecting their IP from unlicensed use, is a losing argument.

edited December 2023 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    I equate the Beeper Mini to me stealing water from my neighbors faucet and then bottling it for resale. It’s not my water to sell and I trespassed to get it. 
    strongywilliamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    "They've degraded the performance of iMessage for iPhone users," he continued, "all in search of crushing a competitor." 

No, Apple have maintained the status quo as it was before so no, it can’t be classed as degrading the performance and no, you’re not a competitor if re-releasing someone else’s product.
    this guy is delusional 
    strongywilliamlondonronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I suspect if you look at the money of who is funding this I suspect that it’s either Google, some Android phone makers, the CIA or somebody else who has a vested interested in getting rid of iMessage’s end to end encryption. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    sirdir said:

If you want to iMessage your family, get an iPhone. 

The irony of this statement is rich. Unfortunately when you own over 50% market share you start to move into antitrust territory and different rules apply and these type of statements raise red flags.

And by the way Apple is also going to stop selling the Apple Watch in the U.S. due to stealing patents from someone else itself.

mikelprwilliamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 22
    I am wondering why Beeper isn’t being charged with theft of services and computer hacking. It appears to me that they are committing illegal acts to gain access to the Apple Messaging platform.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    davidw said:
    sflocal said:

Let's not forget more recently (2009)  Apple vs Psystar, where Psystar claim they had the right to use OSX on computers, that they sold under their own brand. This is similar to Beeper Mini here, using iMessage to market their own messaging service. Beeper Mini has as much rights to market a messaging service that uses iMessage as Psystar had to market a computer that uses OSX ...... which is none at all. Claiming Apple is being anti-competitive by protecting their IP from unlicensed use, is a losing argument.

If that's more recent it's not by much.  The device sflocal is talking about was a Palm Pre, and the furore happened in 2009.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Yeah, suing Apple would be a waste of money and time. Beeper needs to give this one up; lesson learned. 

That doesn't mean Apple is off the hook though. Probably forgotten by most everyone here is that Apple is still in the midst of a DoJ antitrust investigation into their overall practices, one begun 3 or 4 years ago. There are reports that this Apple/Beeper feud is being adding to the dossier. 
    edited December 2023