Microsoft Copilot AI chatbot arrives on App Store for iPhone and iPad

Posted:
in iPhone

Microsoft Copilot has launched on the App Store for iPhone and iPad with hints of an incoming Mac app, and it has all of its AI chat assistant features.

Microsoft Copilot
Microsoft Copilot

Microsoft Copilot is a chat assistant powered by OpenAI, GPT-4, and DALLE 3 previously only available from desktop Chrome browsers. It can complete requests generate images, or summarize text.

Do everything from drafting emails to updating a job resume. This is the full Copilot experience.

The image creator allows users to tap into DALLE and generate synthetic AI images. Use prompts to generate new styles and ideas, develop brand motifs, create custom backgrounds, or visualize video storyboards.

We asked it to describe AppleInsider:

"AppleInsider is a website that provides news, rumors, reviews, prices, and deals related to Apple products. The website has been serving Apple product enthusiasts since 1997. It covers a wide range of topics such as Apple's latest products, software updates, and industry news. The website also features a Price Guide that lists the best current low prices on Apple products. The website is a great resource for those who want to stay up-to-date with the latest Apple News and products."

The prompt was simple enough and it provided sources linked to our website. Generating an image requires an account.

The app is listed as iPhone and iPad only in the App Store, but the compatibility list includes the Mac. Users have to be running iOS 15 or iPadOS 15, and the Mac version requires an M1 processor and macOS Sonoma.

Get Microsoft Copilot from the App Store.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    Maybe this will contribute to the demise of Google and its appalling model of surveillance capitalism. I'm writing that more in hope than expectation, as Google isn't just search anymore, they have Android and YouTube, for example, and those ain’t going anywhere.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Alex_V said:
    Maybe this will contribute to the demise of Google and its appalling model of surveillance capitalism. I'm writing that more in hope than expectation, as Google isn't just search anymore, they have Android and YouTube, for example, and those ain’t going anywhere.
    You want Microsoft to be even bigger monopoly?  Besides Microsoft are doing the same thing. Tracking people on windows 
  • Reply 3 of 12
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    Ask it to write a specific copyrighted work in the style of that work’s actual author. It then produces the original work, mostly verbatim, with a few minor additions or changes that are so bad an editor would spot them and strike them from a mile away. 

This demonstrates how generative AI is really an unsophisticated exercise in plagiarism. Its greatest power is in scraping and cataloging massive amounts of data, not in algorithms that learn and generate original work. It is not ‘almost sentient’ or ‘creative.’ 

Defenders of generative AI will claim that it’s no different from a person leaning from the work of his or her “influences” and then moving forward to create their own work, which is always influenced by prior artists. 

The exercise I’ve described above demonstrates that this isn’t what the much-ballyhooed tech is doing. It is simply accumulating others’ work and creating entirely derivative mash-ups based on a set of instructions. 

Successful plagiarism lawsuits against human plagiarists hinge on establishing that the defendant was exposed to the copied work(s) and that the defendant’s work is largely derivative and lacking in sufficient originality on the plagiarist’s part. 

Despite the hype, generative AI lacks anything approaching the cognitive capacity to learn and then create original work. The pending lawsuits filed by artists whose works are being scraped and regurgitated should be successful, even based on current law. 
    williamlondondewme
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Alex_VAlex_V Posts: 218member
    Nikon8 said:
    Alex_V said:
    You want Microsoft to be even bigger monopoly?  Besides Microsoft are doing the same thing. Tracking people on windows 

So? You want Google to be even bigger monopoly?  Jeez… 
    zeus423
  • Reply 5 of 12
    “Do everything from drafting emails to updating a job resume. This is the full Copilot experience.”

Wow.  I just never thought technology would advance so quickly where this was possible in 2023.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Alex_V said:
    Nikon8 said:
    Alex_V said:

Point is you don’t want Microsoft to be even bigger.  Jeez. 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Hard pass        
  • Reply 8 of 12
    I suspect Microsoft is going to win this race to deliver simply packaged productivity AI - meaning document and information ecosystem interactive AI - to the end user first.

Google seems to be making a hash of it with their typical mangled app marketplace chaos. OpenAI by themselves are doing about the same thing with their plugin approach. 

Grok is an interesting outlier, but seems unlikely to see useful near term extension given where it started. 

Apple no doubt will be slow and intentional bringing anything forward, but hopefully will invest with more innovation than with Siri. But suspect that will be a long time coming. 

Yet here is Microsoft with meaningful productivity integrations. Of course this is still with the extortionate backstory of moving us all down the subscribe forever path; I’ve still remained a 365 holdout, yet find I am being tempted.  Takes me back to memories of that nightmarish clippy thing where we were all pretty certain that was just a terribly construed ploy to replace us and our purchasing control with an office assistant that would make us the minions. Makes me ponder who the copilot is supposed to be in this newly minted version?  But I think the market is theirs to have at the moment.  
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Most people will play with it for a couple of day's then move on......
    zeus423RonnyDaddy
  • Reply 10 of 12
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    Alex_V said:
    Nikon8 said:
    Alex_V said:
    Why are your only options Google completely goes away or Google becomes an even bigger monopoly. How exactly would either of those extremes happen from this iOS app existing?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,573member
    danox said:
    The Gopher web browser was pretty bad when the web was invented, but not long later Netscape Navigator appeared, and web browsing took off. The same thing is likely to happen with AI.

Whoever dominates AI can dominate user tracking. I expect Apple is the only company trying to develop an AI that doesn't track us.

• Reply 12 of 12
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    danox said:
    The Gopher web browser was pretty bad when the web was invented, but not long later Netscape Navigator appeared, and web browsing took off. The same thing is likely to happen with AI.

Whoever dominates AI can dominate user tracking. I expect Apple is the only company trying to develop an AI that doesn't track us.

Apple is on a different path with on device AI, Microsoft and Google think phoning HQ is the way. Most of the world doesn't have always on internet/power connections. Apple is on the right path Intel, Nvidia, AMD are also on that unlimited power/connection trip. Qualcomm is Microsoft only life line in that bunch the question is does Microsoft?