Ming-Chi Kuo: Investors should be cautious about Apple Vision Pro launch hype

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

TF Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo is cautioning investors about the hype surrounding the Apple Vision Pro launch, saying that if the headset doesn't sell out at first, it may be a longer road to success than anticipated.

Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park
Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park

On Monday, Apple confirmed the release date of the Apple Vision Pro will be February 2 in the United States. After the announcement, Apple observer Ming-Chi Kuo told investors to be cautious about the launch and their expectations for success.

In a Medium post early on Tuesday, Kuo initially says that Apple did showcase the technology well at its introduction, but "left out more important information about the product's position and key applications."

If Apple could offer more information in these areas, Kuo writes, "it would help maintain sales momentum and attract more developers."

Kuo reckons that hype for the headset should mean the Apple Vision Pro will sell out after pre-orders open or when it goes on sale, in turn lengthening shipping times. However, if it doesn't, Kuo believes "Vision Pro may take longer to become a success, which would be detrimental to the short-term stock price performance of Apple and its supply chain."

There is praise for the specifications and software being "well above the industry average," which should earn "high praise" from users. Kuo then warns that the novelty and demand could wear off "depending on whether Vision Pro's product positioning and key applications are clear and correct."

It's not clear why Kuo holds this viewpoint. The Apple Watch was not an incredible success at launch, and it took an iteration or two to capture the market. Apple clearly has the money to wait out a less-than-successful product at launch, and has done so with Apple TV+ and the re-release of the larger HomePod.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    It's not clear why Kuo holds this viewpoint.  The Apple Watch was not an incredible success at launch” - huh?  it’s perfectly clear why he’s saying it - you even quoted
    him: “…which would be detrimental to the short-term stock price performance”.  He’s giving investors advice - see your own title!

if you’re going to go back to Apple Watch and Apple TV, make it relevant and tell us if AAPL stock was not affected in those cases.
    byronlpulseimageswilliamlondonblastdoorAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Right now it's just about getting the Vision Pro to developers. I still think Vision Pro will be stuck in a vertical market niche of gamers and entertainment industry. I ask my friends who say 'this is the most amazing thing since sliced bread do you still go to 3D movies?' Almost every reviewer so far says after wearing it for more than 30 minutes you want to take it off. it's too heavy. Maybe future ones will weight less but still you get used to the special effects and it's not special anymore just like 3D movies. Anyway the jury is out until next year.
    williamlondon9secondkox2
  • Reply 3 of 19
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,092member
    Right now it's just about getting the Vision Pro to developers. I still think Vision Pro will be stuck in a vertical market niche of gamers and entertainment industry. I ask my friends who say 'this is the most amazing thing since sliced bread do you still go to 3D movies?' Almost every reviewer so far says after wearing it for more than 30 minutes you want to take it off. it's too heavy. Maybe future ones will weight less but still you get used to the special effects and it's not special anymore just like 3D movies. Anyway the jury is out until next year.
    I have not seen one reviewer say they need to take it off after 30 minutes because of the weight.  Please share some links 
    ForumPostdanoxpulseimageswilliamlondon9secondkox2Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    nubusnubus Posts: 413member
    red oak said:
    I have not seen one reviewer say they need to take it off after 30 minutes because of the weight.  Please share some links 
    David PogueAfter about 20 minutes, my forehead really started to hurt... I kept shifting the Vision Pro, and it still felt like a clueless German Shepherd was standing on my eyebrow ridge...  After the demo, I asked eight of the other journalists about their comfort levels. Seven said they’d also felt uncomfortable after a while. 

8 of 9 professional reviewers got tired within 20 min. of use. And those were assisted by trained Apple employees for a perfect fit.
    M68000williamlondonblastdoor9secondkox2grandact73Alex1N
  • Reply 5 of 19
    M68000M68000 Posts: 763member
    This product launch will be interesting.  I’m trying to understand the point of VR products, other than gaming or some kind of simulator training.   Just finding it hard to believe this is a mass market product.  I’m thinking niche market here.  Asking people to sit around or stand around with a computer strapped to their heads is a really big ask.   Besides,  i think wearing it may be bad for the wearers hair.
    edited January 9 muthuk_vanalingamAlex1N9secondkox2
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Rogue01Rogue01 Posts: 161member
    Everyone keeps comparing this to the iPhone or Watch launch.  You can't.  The iPhone and Watch were sub-$500 products, significantly less than the $3500 starting price of the VisionPro.  Both solved a problem, the iPhone much more than the watch.  That's why the iPhone was far more popular than the watch.  It solved the 'broken' smartphone market with bad smartphones.  No one asked for VisionPro and no problem exists to be solved.  VR/AR is such a minimal consumer product, and has been that way for decades.  Even back in the 90s, VR never took off.  Why?  No one wants to wear goggles for hours on their head.  3DTV failed because no one wants to wear glasses to watch TV.  So Apple's ridiculously expensive $3500 headset is so far out of reach from most consumers, especially with high inflation, that it won't be a popular item.  

This is the best part of the article - Kuo then warns that the novelty and demand could wear off.  That is exactly what is going to happen.  The novelty will wear off and people will go back to using their iPad to run the iPad apps (VisionPro runs iPad apps) and watch their big screen TV to watch movies.  And the battery only lasts about 2 hours.  That is the reality.  The majority of consumers are not going to spend $3500.  Maybe that is why it is $3500, because it has 16GB of RAM, and Apple cannot even ship Macs with 16GB of RAM as the standard config.

It will be interesting to watch this launch.  Remember iPod Hi-Fi?  That was $349 and no one bought it.
    williamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 7 of 19
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,959member
    Rogue01 said:
    Everyone keeps comparing this to the iPhone or Watch launch.  You can't.  The iPhone and Watch were sub-$500 products, significantly less than the $3500 starting price of the VisionPro.  Both solved a problem, the iPhone much more than the watch.  That's why the iPhone was far more popular than the watch.  It solved the 'broken' smartphone market with bad smartphones.  No one asked for VisionPro and no problem exists to be solved.  VR/AR is such a minimal consumer product, and has been that way for decades.  Even back in the 90s, VR never took off.  Why?  No one wants to wear goggles for hours on their head.  3DTV failed because no one wants to wear glasses to watch TV.  So Apple's ridiculously expensive $3500 headset is so far out of reach from most consumers, especially with high inflation, that it won't be a popular item.  

This is the best part of the article - Kuo then warns that the novelty and demand could wear off.  That is exactly what is going to happen.  The novelty will wear off and people will go back to using their iPad to run the iPad apps (VisionPro runs iPad apps) and watch their big screen TV to watch movies.  And the battery only lasts about 2 hours.  That is the reality.  The majority of consumers are not going to spend $3500.  Maybe that is why it is $3500, because it has 16GB of RAM, and Apple cannot even ship Macs with 16GB of RAM as the standard config.

It will be interesting to watch this launch.  Remember iPod Hi-Fi?  That was $349 and no one bought it.

Yes, I own one of the iPod Hi-Fi is a great product still works like a charm like those Cinema Displays from the same era still work great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c3_D8tt14s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgX2RZkpqbQ

The MacBook Pro isn't a mainstream (marketshare) laptop and the Apple Vision Pro won't be mainstream either but what it will be is the dominate product at the top end of the market like most of the Apple devices. It will be the best in class by a wide margin software/hardware wise. ie like the M3 Max MacBook Pro 128 GIG UMA, iPad Pro, Apple Watch, Apple Silicon (UMA Memory whose significance will get bigger), and iPhones year after year.

edited January 9 williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    History emp[hatically states that if you are an apple investor, you will not consider a product launch as an inflection point.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Ming-Chi Kuo sounding like an Apple employee here… 

Every product has to be applicable towards an actual need, do I believe there is one? 

Business:

Inexpensive trackers that are visible in space would make inventory easier, if the trackers can hold information and interface with other rfid chips, even better. (Apple has bought a company that was doing x-y map coordinate markers for web-like content) This function could be done without trackers I guess.

Meetings, this one is up in the air. It SHOULD work… But I would give it some time to mature.

Games?

Cheaper games as opposed to FB expensive ones, should be a draw, if no cheaper games… Then Apple arcade might see a use. No G5 modem likely means some will try Pokemon Go or similar games with a mobile router. I am guessing a proper pokemon Go wont come until AVP is truly mobile.

I think the price is as it is to curb demand, also to position the Apple Vision PRO in a Pro pricerange (nothing pro about the ssd size of 246gb though..) Will it see enough adoption? My guess is that it likely wont see a huge lineup of people, aint no reality distortion field active and the economy is soso…

I hold the belief that this is an interim release to blow new life into AR and position for the near-mid term of tech breakthroughs and development, and it already succeeded there… It lifted facebook/meta stock up to pre-meta debacle leves, as I was sure it would. Tons of tech companies are positioning to be in the much desired opposition to Apple. In short, AR/VR is buzzing with investor money and re-newed development. (Not even Apple can start a product from complete scratch. They need a supply-chain to exist)

I am not sure Apple will succeed ofc, but I have no doubt that just the fact that Apple has entered the lobby is a landmark step towards a successful AR/VR future. For me personally, I have followed the Oculus story from the start, Apple made small good quality displays cheap enough for that to become a thing, and now we come full circle. Its cool. I have loved sterescopic stuff since I was a kid in the 90ies, and donned those huge VR goggles and played that wonky VR ptraodactyl game. 

I think there will for sure be usecases that are superiour to a 2d screen. Just on the quest 2 there is a painting app that is quite frankly amazing. Just hold for a M3/M4 release in a couple years, that one will be the real deal.

williamlondonAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    All in all, I think AVP is a good move by Apple. Optics are about to hit a major tech revolution point in a couple years time (If development goes as planned..) An AVP release now is very good positioning and absolutely the right move.

So, it doesn’t matter if AVP is a hit out the gate.. It has done the job it needed to do. It is in essence a dev platform and a pr move.

Smartphones have nowhere else to go, Apple silicon is loosing its advantage because there is no need for more powerful soc’s for the small 2d screen on mobile. With AR, there is room to grow and Apple regains their AS advantage and incentive to improve their soc’s.

edited January 10 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Ming-Chi Kuo is the biggest flip flopper in tech reporting. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    All tech companies have said something along the lines of "We aren't always first but we bring the best" and I think this will be the best consumer launch for a VR/AR product. Apple device owners will love the familiarity of the eco-system and even non-Apple device owners will love the advancements that this is making.

I think the big questions are how fast this can be adopted or whether it will be successful with a very narrow target audience. iPhones are for everyone which is why this is the foundation product for the company. After that you quickly get into a funnel of customers. Laptops, tablets, smartwatches, not everyone needs these. Apple can make it relevant by showing us more ways we can use it for work, meetings, catching up with others. If it helps with productivity, if there's a network effect then it's going to attract more interest.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,032member
    Does Apple ever publish inventory numbers at a product release? How would anyone know if this "sold out" or not? Because people draw nonsensical conclusions from whether a device "sells out" or not, Apple can easily simulate that effect at any point. If initial sales are sluggish, they can start showing a slipping delivery date, even if they have truckloads of the things in back. Places like this will dutifully report that the dates are now slipping, people will conclude it's "selling out," and they're off to the races. "Hey, it's selling out! People are buying it! I'd better order mine now! It's a big success! Look at that stock price go!"

So many factors go into deciding how many of a thing to make in its initial production run, that whether that initial run sells out or not is profoundly meaningless. The fact that Kuo is making projections based on that meaningless data point just shows how full-of-crap he is. 
    edited January 10 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,338member
    Imagine if...
    (1) Apple in 1993 was as big and profitable as Microsoft and Intel (as they were then) combined. 
    (2) Apple released the Newton MessagePad, but with the hardware specs of the MessagePad 2000 and at twice the original price

If that happened, then I think the Newton would have gone on to be a success. The initial model would have had the tech specs to do the job it was supposed to do, so it would have made a much better first impression. The high price would have kept sales low for a while, but that would have given Apple time to refine the device based on feedback from a small but enthusiastic group of early adopters. And with financial stability, Apple could have been patient waiting for profits while continuing to refine the product. 

I wonder if that will be the story for VisionPro. 
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I’m not sure what point he is trying to make.  It sounds like he just wanted to say something to be relevant in the conversation.

I don’t think the device needs a “killer app” to be successful.  Given that users will have access to a large library of existing apps and content, they will be able to experience them in a spatial environment.

If only 1% of iPhone users purchases this product, that would be over 15m units.
    thtAlex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    twolf2919 said:
    “It's not clear why Kuo holds this viewpoint.  The Apple Watch was not an incredible success at launch” - huh?  it’s perfectly clear why he’s saying it - you even quoted
    him: “…which would be detrimental to the short-term stock price performance”.  He’s giving investors advice - see your own title!

if you’re going to go back to Apple Watch and Apple TV, make it relevant and tell us if AAPL stock was not affected in those cases.
    The Apple Watch did not cost $3500.  That’s a huge price for a new and unproven technology.  There are lots of Apple fan boys who wholeheartedly support this new product.  But being able to afford to purchase it (plus sales tax - which can be as high as 10.75% in parts of California) will put it out of reach for many fan boys.  I predict a tepid response.  Basing predictions on an early sell out is meaningless, you have no idea what the opening inventory is. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,032member
    kellie said:
    twolf2919 said:
    “It's not clear why Kuo holds this viewpoint.  The Apple Watch was not an incredible success at launch” - huh?  it’s perfectly clear why he’s saying it - you even quoted

The Apple Watch did not cost $3500.  That’s a huge price for a new and unproven technology.  There are lots of Apple fan boys who wholeheartedly support this new product.  But being able to afford to purchase it (plus sales tax - which can be as high as 10.75% in parts of California) will put it out of reach for many fan boys.  I predict a tepid response.  Basing predictions on an early sell out is meaningless, you have no idea what the opening inventory is. 
    We agree on the last sentence. As for the rest, Apple didn't just fall off the turnip truck. They are expecting sales commensurate with a first-generation device priced at $3,500. The analysts making prognostications based on it being or not being something else entirely are just blowing smoke.

Also, Apple Watch didn't cost $3,500, but it did cost quite a lot more than the fitbits people were were comparing it to as they said 'nobody wears a watch anymore, and they're certainly not going to pay that much to start wearing one now.' As far as the watch's release being an analog to the Vision Pro, one could consider that at release the peanut gallery can't imagine what either would actually do or why anyone would want one, and that in a couple of years there will be retroactively obvious use cases for it, and that people who might've had a ~$1,000 price-point threshold at the Vision Pro's release (and taken a pass) will willingly pony up the higher asking price in two or three years. (The folks who are thinking $300 will still sit it out, but they were never the target audience anyway.)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    M68000 said:
    This product launch will be interesting.  I’m trying to understand the point of VR products, other than gaming or some kind of simulator training.   Just finding it hard to believe this is a mass market product.  I’m thinking niche market here.  Asking people to sit around or stand around with a computer strapped to their heads is a really big ask.   Besides,  i think wearing it may be bad for the wearers hair.
    Pretty much. It will be the king of a niche market. At least in terms of specs. 

It’s just not something that fits with regular life. But is a “neat” device for those willing to put up with strapping a computer to their heads and faces. 

Once they get it into a svelte sunglasses form factor, perhaps partnering with a “cool” partner like Oakley, etc.,it will be a different story. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Ming-Chi Kuo is the biggest flip flopper in tech reporting. 
    Possible. But he’s on point here. 

But if the atandsrd is selling out, there’s no way it won’t sell out. Apple didn’t make these things in mass market numbers. They’ve manufactured a niche amount and will sell through that paltry number. 
    edited January 10