Apple TV+ falls flat at Critics Choice Awards

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 15

Despite being nominated in 16 categories for the 2024 Critics Choice Award, Apple TV+ managed only a single win.

Billy Crudup in
Billy Crudup in "The Morning Show" (Source: Apple)

Apple TV+ hit "Ted Lasso" was already shut out of the 2024 Critics Award by receiving just one nomination for its final season, but other shows gained notable attention. "The Morning Show," "Shrinking," and "Lessons in Chemistry" all had several nods when the nominations were announced in December 2023.

However, only "The Morning Show" took home a trophy after the ceremony on Sunday, January 14, 2024. Billy Crudup won for the show in the Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category.

As well as being the latest person to win Apple TV+ an award, Crudup was also the first. Back in 2020, he won the very first award that Apple TV+ ever got -- and it was in the same category, for the same role, in the same show.

While "The Morning Show" was the first major drama series made for Apple TV+, its run has been sporadic, with around nine months separating each of its three seasons. It has been reported that a fourth season has been ordered, with discussions over a fifth.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,824member
    RIGGED!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    neoncatneoncat Posts: 152member
    This must be very very hard for Apple, given their near-obsessive need to be recognized and adulated.
    M68000williamlondongrandact73
  • Reply 3 of 21
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 809member
    To be fair, none of the Apple TV shows is a must-see. They play it too safe, no comparison to HBO, BBC, or even Amazon. Even the Morning Show started strong and has turned into a soap opera. 
    williamlondon40domigrandact73
  • Reply 4 of 21
    sflagel said:
    To be fair, none of the Apple TV shows is a must-see. They play it too safe, no comparison to HBO, BBC, or even Amazon. Even the Morning Show started strong and has turned into a soap opera. 
    Guess you missed Slow Horses.
    williamlondonronnchasmtmaysteveauStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    On the one hand, they have some very high quality shows and movies. On the other hand, they have a very small audience of people watching and talking about these shows. Maybe it doesn’t seem fair, but it still matters. I don’t think they’re going to pull off a “CODA” style win again.
    williamlondongrandact73watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,323member
    sflagel said:
    To be fair, none of the Apple TV shows is a must-see.
    Your definition of “must see” must be awfully narrow. Have you taken a gander at how many awards Apple TV+ has won over the past 12 months? It’s really quite substantial.

Pretty much EVERYTHING on Apple TV+ is incredibly well made, even if it’s not to my taste. There’s at least a half-dozen shows that meet my definition of “must see,” from Schmigadoon to Foundation. I can think of only two other streaming services that give me a better value for money, and they’re both quite a bit more expensive: Disney+ and Criterion.
    charlesnmacxpresspscooter63StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    Ted Lasso was a great show but it turned into something completely different from what it started as. It started off as a ~30 minute comedy with some pathos. By season 3 each episode was a movie length drama with some laughs and lighthearted bits.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 21
    On the one hand, they have some very high quality shows and movies. On the other hand, they have a very small audience of people watching and talking about these shows. Maybe it doesn’t seem fair, but it still matters. I don’t think they’re going to pull off a “CODA” style win again.
    Actually, most of the awards that are voted on by industry members (SAG, Golden Globes, Oscars) or critics (CTA) don't have much to do with popularity/reach, and focus more on originality, writing, individual standout performances, etc. That is why the Marvel movies never win (or are even nominated) in the big categories, and movies that most people have never heard of (Nomadland, CODA, Moonlight) do win. To further that point - a good many award-winning films don't even make it to wide release until after the awards season ends.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Apple is the first streamer ever to win the Oscar for Best Picture. (And it's back in the running this year with Killer of the Flower Moon.) It has also won the Emmy-award for Best Comedy Series two years running, with numerous other nominations and wins. Apple is also doing sci-fi series better than anyone... Foundation, Silo, For All Mankind, etc. Apple produces television that reflects well on and burnishes the Apple brand--and they will spend the money required to make a production great, which is one reason their sci-fi series are all theatrical release quality. But hey, more often than not, the highest quality entertainment is NOT the most popular. It's one reason that many Oscar winners for Best Picture post "meh" box office numbers, even after they've won. 
    StrangeDayswilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21

Despite being nominated in 16 categories for the 2024 Critics Choice Award, Apple TV+ managed only a single win.

Billy Crudup in

Apple TV+ hit "Ted Lasso" was already shut out of the 2024 Critics Award by receiving just one nomination for its final season, but other shows gained notable attention. "The Morning Show," "Shrinking," and "Lessons in Chemistry" all had several nods when the nominations were announced in December 2023.

However, only "The Morning Show" took home a trophy after the ceremony on Sunday, January 14, 2024. Billy Crudup won for the show in the Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series category.

As well as being the latest person to win Apple TV+ an award, Crudup was also the first. Back in 2020, he won the very first award that Apple TV+ ever got -- and it was in the same category, for the same role, in the same show.

While "The Morning Show" was the first major drama series made for Apple TV+, its run has been sporadic, with around nine months separating each of its three seasons. It has been reported that a fourth season has been ordered, with discussions over a fifth.

Read on AppleInsider

Hardly surprising, their content is as woke and poor as Disney +
    I've had numerous opportunities to have it for free...not interested, it's rubbish 😡
    williamlondon
  • Reply 11 of 21
    40domi said:
    I've had numerous opportunities to have it for free...not interested, it's rubbish ߘ᦬t;/div>

If you have declined the free trial for AppleTV+ repeatedly, how do you know it is rubbish? I don't watch a lot of ATV+ content, but do occasionally. There are some great shows and movies including Ted Lasso, Lessons in Chemistry, Foundation, Killers of the Flower Moon, and more. Maybe you tried the service early on when it lacked a lot of content. But the library is growing regularly and has a number of titles worth watching on a free trial.
    edited January 15 ronnpscooter63steveausflagelwilliamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 21
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 246member
    I'm way behind, but For All Mankind was really great stuff. I'm hoping to catch up at some point.
    ronnStrangeDayswilliamlondondavenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Silo with Rebecca Ferguson. My top pick for 2023 on AppleTV+. 
    sflagelwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 21
    My top pick for 2023 is "Slow Horses" series 3. First across the line by a full length  :) 
    StrangeDayssflagelwilliamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 21
    sunman42 said:
    sflagel said:
    Guess you missed Slow Horses.
    I love Slow Horses, that should indeed have been nominated. Gary Oldman is a legend in it, and the writing is as good at times as Succession. The Guardian summed it up nicely: Slow Horses is so good, it could be on BBC1. I thought that describes Apple TV+ well, the absolute best is just about good enough for BBC1.
    I think the shows on ATV+ are good, I watch many, they just seem to lack a little edge, a little innovation, a little aftertaste. But then again, who am  to judge... Thanks for bringing up Slow Horses, and now I will bring up Silo, that was special, world building, twists, ambiguity, etc.
    edited January 16 ronnStrangeDayswilliamlondontmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    No shows that are a must see?  Really?  I think that Severance, Silo, Foundation, Slow Horses, For all Mankind are as good as anything anywhere.
    I reckon that AppleTV+ has a far higher percentage of "must see" TV than other streamers plus you don't have to wade through oceans of utter crap to find them!
    sflagelronnStrangeDayswilliamlondondavenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Apple is trying to play the exclusivity game for Tv+. They haven't even launched an app for Android (mobile), thereby cutting off 100% of their audience on that platform, they are hoping maybe that these people will switch to iPhones to get TV+. However, that isn't going to happen anytime soon, unless Netflix and Prime stop existing.

iMessage became a lock-in only because it existed during the right time and only took off in a particular country.

Movies are a different ball game than messaging services, you can pirate the movies if you can't get them.
    edited January 16
  • Reply 18 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,906member
    neoncat said:
    This must be very very hard for Apple, given their near-obsessive need to be recognized and adulated.
    Hmm can you provide a citation for that claim? We’ll wait. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 21
    sflagel said:
    Amazon? Yeah no, they’re the worst of the streaming networks. If it weren’t forced as a bundle on my Prime I sure as heck wouldn’t pay for it. 

“A” shows for me on Apple TV:

Severance

For All Mankind

Slow Horses

Ted Lasso

Losing Alice

Mythic Quest

edited January 16 ronnwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 21
    40domi said:

Billy Crudup in

Read on AppleInsider

I've had numerous opportunities to have it for free...not interested, it's rubbish ߘ᦬t;/div>
    Be a good lad and define “woke” for us, so we don’t assume you’re a complete smooth brain who quotes an entire article to write two sentences 
    edited January 16 ronnwilliamlondonRespitedavenwatto_cobra