Apple Vision Pro shipment dates slip nearly instantly

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited January 19

Eighteen minutes after Apple began taking pre-orders for the new Apple Vision Pro headset, stocks were sold out and shipping dates began slipping back -- ultimately by months.

Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park
Apple Vision Pro at Apple Park

It's not as if Apple is going to stop anyone ordering an Apple Vision Pro, but anybody trying now is going to wait to get it. Buyers who got in as soon as pre-orders were opened at 5 a.m. Pacific (8 a.m. Eastern) will get their headsets on February 2, 2024, but almost instantly, that shipping date began slipping back.

After two hours of pre-orders, shipping dates for Apple Vision Pro were being listed as into March and in some cases even April.

This will be presented as a success for Apple and a presumption that the Vision Pro is an immediate hit. That may yet be true, but it can't be assessed yet because there is also the factor that Apple is believed to have made only a small production run.

There are conflicting reports over just how small it is. Reports from China's supply chain estimate 400,000 units, but analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes Apple has made only between 60,000 and 80,000 headsets. What appears to be certain, though, is that Apple has unquestionably made dramatically fewer Vision Pro headsets than it would for a new iPhone, for instance.

With a new iPhone, Apple also arranges separate stock for its retail stores. So it is likely -- though not certain -- that anyone missing out on the online pre-order may be able to pick up an Apple Vision Pro at a physical Apple Store on February 2, 2024.

US Apple Stores will at least be giving demonstrations of the Apple Vision Pro from that date.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    I held out until the 4th generation of iPhone; the third generation of iPad; and the second generation of Apple Watch. 
    Looks like I’m going to have to get in on the first generation of the Vision Pro…
    ForumPostlordjohnwhorfinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 32
    It was a bit of a mess to order this morning.  While the actual order process proceeded smoothly through the Apple Store on my iPad, when it came time to checkout it would not complete payment with ApplePay - it initially stated that the confirmed pickup and fit time at my local store was no longer available, and when I changed that to Feb 3rd it refused to accept payment.  It kept saying "error with payment, try again later".   An hour later after a half dozen calls to Apple (kept sending me to Tech support, and dropping calls, etc) and Apple Card (Goldman Sachs) I was finally transferred to this number 877-255-5923 and Jeff (a senior support staff) finally got the order to go through via screen share.   

Very annoying but fortunately Apple Store kept the order in my cart so it was never lost.  So despite not completing until nearly an hour later (after 6am PST) the order is confirmed and pick up is on Feb 3rd.

Good luck....
    williamlondonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Perhaps the delivery slippage is due to the store pick-up process taking 1/2 hour and there are only so many appointment slots?
    muthuk_vanalingamgrandact739secondkox2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    apple23 said:
    Perhaps the delivery slippage is due to the store pick-up process taking 1/2 hour and there are only so many appointment slots?
    The shipping delivery date is slipping as well as the in store pickup dates. So it isn't related to appointment options as these are irrelevant to people that aren't doing inshore pickup. 

9secondkox2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    Lead times are going to get worse after February 2 if the Apple Vision works as advertised. Particularly if spacial video is a hit......iPhone 15 Pro sales may go up too.
    edited January 19 williamlondongregoriusm9secondkox2ForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,200member
    At least in the Apple Store app, the length of coverage for AppleCare+ wasn't stated. $499 for 1 year or 2 years? We all seem to assume 2 years, but that's not necessarily the case unless in writing.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    Not bad for a product that many people are complaining about is too expensive and that Apple is too late to the game and that it will fail and no one will buy it with all the other better alternatives out there...

Oh, wait, that was the iPod.
    And the iPhone.
    MacProgregoriusmsuddenly newtonwilliamlondonmjtomlinStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 32
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    I can't get it. I need hard contact lenses for my eyes to keep their shape.. I'm really bummed... AR and VR are my hopes for future QoL for vision and apple can't make eye tracking technology that doesn't get messed up by contacts? COME ON
    williamlondon9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,011member
    It was just last week that Ming-Chi Kuo was cautioning that if Apple didn’t sell out quickly, Vision Pro could end up as a big failure. I pointed out then that Apple doesn’t advertise their initial production run numbers, so Kuo is full of crap for using “sold out” as a measure of success or failure. I wrote that Apple could easily generate slipping delivery dates regardless of actual supply or demand and that places like this would dutifully report on it, and here we are. 

If the dates are tied to actual production numbers, Kuo’s low estimate of the production run means Apple grossed more than $210 million on this thing today. If the other estimate quoted above is the one, then that’s $1.4 billion grossed in a few minutes this morning, on a new device that the peanut gallery (and at least one oft-quoted analyst) has been suggesting few people will want. 
    MacProgregoriusmflashfan207williamlondonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    The funniest part of this is it is following script of BG’s Apple Product Cycle, written about twenty years ago, when iPods were a thing.

Next up will be journalist interviews of competitors announcing the future launch of new, competing products that will do the same thing for less.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    Just ran thru the wizard, it's saying mid-February where I am in the US.
    suddenly newtonwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    Seamless ordering, mine arrives Feb 2nd. Looking forward to this new era in computing. I will be using it on an airplane on Feb 3rd.
    edited January 19 williamlondonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    I can't get it. I need hard contact lenses for my eyes to keep their shape.. I'm really bummed... AR and VR are my hopes for future QoL for vision and apple can't make eye tracking technology that doesn't get messed up by contacts? COME ON
    Can’t you take them out and get prescription VP Lenses? I worse GP hard contacts for 28 years and popping them in and out was cake.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 32
    It will be the prices in the secondary market in the medium and long term they are able to be sold for which will indicate how popular the device is.
    edited January 19 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32
    Several hrs after pre-orders started, one can still order and get a Vision Pro at the store a couple of days after release. Feb 4th.  It's only deliveries that have a few months to now wait.  : )
    ForumPost9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 32
    Imo AVP launch timescale's can be compared to a space ship launch!
    PIP P!N console is the best example imo of both factors  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    So did Apple seriously screw up estimating how many orders there would be, or is this a Apple Marketing department scheme to hype up people into ordering before it even gets in the hands of the public and word gets out about it.   
    williamlondon
  • Reply 18 of 32
    Are lens inserts an option for you, or are you saying that you need hard contacts for your eyes to keep their shape?  I used to use hard contacts and thought they were more of a preference — I didn’t know there would be a medical reason to choose them.  I was kind of surprised at the questions regarding contacts myself during the ordering process.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I was able to sail through the purchase process at an unhurried pace, including answering questions about my eyewear prescription, completed checkout and got a Feb 2 delivery date. No issues or errors this time. Didn't add any accessories at time of purchase. I uploaded my prescription to Zeiss, and they confirmed it just a few hours later.
    williamlondonForumPostStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Toortog said:
    So did Apple seriously screw up estimating how many orders there would be, or is this a Apple Marketing department scheme to hype up people into ordering before it even gets in the hands of the public and word gets out about it.   
    The oldest conspiracy theory in the forums.
    thtwilliamlondonpaisleydiscoForumPostXed9secondkox2StrangeDaysmacguiwatto_cobrajony0