Please don't use the Apple Vision Pro while driving [u]

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 6

In most of the United States, it's illegal to wear a headset like Apple Vision Pro while driving, but a Tesla owner decided to do it anyway.

An Apple Vision Pro used while driving [x/lentinidante]
An Apple Vision Pro used while driving [x/lentinidante]

Laws around the world concerning driving include requirements for the driver to avoid being distracted while in control of the vehicle, with rules typically intended to prevent people from texting while driving. Slowly, would-be Apple Vision Pro drivers discovered the laws also apply to the headset.

In a brief video published to X on Friday, Dante Lentini was shown at the wheel of a Tesla, while also wearing the Apple Vision Pro. The clip has the 21-year-old tapping and gesturing away with the Apple Vision Pro.

However, later in the video, he is shown in the car while it is stopped, with a police car nearby. While the video doesn't show an actual interaction with a member of law enforcement, Gizmodo reports Lentini claimed he was arrested for using the headset in a tweet.

However, Lentini later told the publication that the video was a "skit" that he made with friends and that he wasn't actually arrested. "[I] was in the right place at the right time, that's why we filmed the police," the driver explained. In effect, the footage was filmed while the police performed other unrelated official duties.

At some points, he is shown with both hands off the steering wheel, seemingly relying on Tesla's assisted driving features, including Autopilot and Full Self-Driving.

Lentini claims he "only" drove the Tesla while wearing the headset for between 30 and 40 seconds.

However, even Tesla says the features "do not make the vehicle autonomous," that drivers must keep their hands on the steering wheel "at all times," and to always "maintain control and responsibility for your vehicle."

It is unclear if Lentini was using a pass-through view to continue to see the road for safety reasons, but it's highly probable. There's also no way to determine if his gestures were really interacting with apps or were for show, making it unclear whether he was distracted from driving beyond wearing a headset.

Despite the arrest claim, he did also post a later video where he departed a toilet and returned to the Tesla to continue driving, all while wearing the Apple Vision Pro. The nature of the videos may also be in response to other Apple Vision Pro users who dare to use the headset in public, to join in with the social media trend.

Apple's Safety Information page for the Apple Vision Pro advises for users to "Always remain aware of your environment" during use, and that it's designed for use in "controlled areas that are safe." Apple also explicitly states "Never use Apple Vision Pro while operating a moving vehicle, bicycle, heavy machinery, or in any other situations requiring attention to safety."

The Apple Vision Pro does have a mode that lets travelers use the Apple Vision Pro while on the move, but it is intended for use by passengers, not people in control of a vehicle.

Updated at 8:50AM Eastern: Added confirmation that the video was a skit and that the driver was not arrested.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    Of course it was a Tesla driver that did this ...
    ronntmaysbdudewilliamlondonchasmdewmebaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 24
    And of course, idiots break the news faster than anyone doing something of value with the AVP.
    AfarstarronnthtwilliamlondonchasmMplsPmattinozbaconstangglnfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 24
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    Normally any eyewear needs to meet driving/traffic regulations. It is highly unlikely any headmounted visor is approved.

For example, you need to be able to clearly distinguish the colours of traffic lights. 

I think that test for certification in the EU is called the Q-factor test or something similar. 

I doubt that is mentioned on the spec sheet of the VP. 

Also, for cars, any AR or assisted content should ideally be through an AR-HUD projected in front of the car or through a headlight projection system. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 4 of 24
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    He physically meets all the requirement for doing both at the same time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 24
    This isn’t possible and it’s a fake video. When Apple Vision Pro notices motion in a vehicle it makes the windows disappear. 

Look at Casey Neistat’s video. When he went on the subway it stopped working. The only option to detect motion is on an airplane currently. Now I know why. 

Rage hate by the original video poster
    dewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 24
    Pancake said:
    This isn’t possible and it’s a fake video. When Apple Vision Pro notices motion in a vehicle it makes the windows disappear. 

UNLESS you run it in Airplane Mode. THEN the AVP takes into account motion and the windows MOVE with the headset
    edited February 5 gatorguytmaypulseimagesadambravobaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 24
    XedXed Posts: 2,575member
    Pancake said:

Look at Casey Neistat’s video. When he went on the subway it stopped working. The only option to detect motion is on an airplane currently. Now I know why. 

Rage hate by the original video poster
    Those situations aren't the same. In a car you have a lot more open space to detect motion.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Wait until it has been fully integrated with CarPlay on your vehicle. :-)
    williamlondonglnfwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 24
    What is exactly wrong with people these days?  To be honest, what is the point of saying "Please don't use AVP while driving" as these morons are going to do it anyway.  Every day I see these young kids driving with their faces buried in their phone.  Their attention is anywhere but on the road and driving. 

Why can't people just drive anymore? If you have to wait at the traffic light...just wait.  Why do you have to multi-task and check your Fantasy Football score?  See if anyone has hit the like button your post, etc.

I guess the only thing you can do when driving is maybe glance over at your GPS map so you can get to your destination.  But those apps try to be as out-of-the-way as possible.  Trust me, even using Apple Maps or Waze is difficult for me...but I do it.

Please understand, my comment is no way directed to Apple.  They should continue to provide consumers with innovative technology like the AVP...but why in the world do we need to have people drive with it?  Even if it had some cool AR app to help you drive...or show you info on stores/restaurants you pass...I just feel all that just gets in the way of keeping your attention and focus on the road.

Maybe I am just old now...maybe the younger generation can do all this simultaneously while driving.  I don't know...but I will end this saying this guy was crazy for wearing his AVP while driving.  Just keep it home...you spend over $3.5K on it...why even take it out of the house?  I would be just scared to do it.
    tmayCalvinatorbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 24
    This is one of the many reasons why social media sucks- people do incredibly dumb stuff for their 3 seconds of fame. And guess whar AI- you helped.
    amarkapwilliamlondonbaconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 24
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    avon b7 said:
    Normally any eyewear needs to meet driving/traffic regulations. It is highly unlikely any headmounted visor is approved.

For example, you need to be able to clearly distinguish the colours of traffic lights. 

I think that test for certification in the EU is called the Q-factor test or something similar. 

I doubt that is mentioned on the spec sheet of the VP. 

Also, for cars, any AR or assisted content should ideally be through an AR-HUD projected in front of the car or through a headlight projection system. 

This is all obvious. Also, the fact that Apple specifically says not to use Vision Pro while driving should be a good indicator.
    amarkapwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 24
    The creator of this video has made a statement that it was a staged skit, he was not arrested and only spent about 30 seconds of driving with the headset on. Please update the article to reflect the creators statement. 

muthuk_vanalingamroundaboutnowdewmewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 24
    caskey said:
    The creator of this video has made a statement that it was a staged skit, he was not arrested and only spent about 30 seconds of driving with the headset on. Please update the article to reflect the creators statement. 
    Update? Oh, you mean reword the headline so it's not clickbait? Nah, ain't gonna happen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    When he claimed he was arrested, I knew it was fake. 

People don't get arrested for moving violations unless they're intoxicated or obviously a danger due to mental distress. I don't know of arrests made for texting or wearing a VR headset. 

baconstangbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 15 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    I hope this guy gets used to people calling him “idiot” for at least a year or two for this stupid stunt. He’s inspiring people to do dangerous things.

I knew this would happen, and I’m glad he’s getting lambasted for it. I very much doubt this statement that it was a skit — he’s already proven himself an idiot, and most idiots lie when they get caught, so there’s no reason to believe literally ANYTHING he says.

The police should use this video as evidence to arrest him NOW, and any judge worth his seat should throw the book at him (points on his license, $$, classes, whatever the local jurisdiction allows for reckless/impaired driving).

Police need to send a message NOW that driving with a headset on  will get your ass arrested, and slapped with serious charges.
    MplsPcoolfactorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 24
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,024member
    If legit I only fear for the safety of those outside of vehicle. Darwin Award goes to the driver. 
    coolfactorbaconstangchasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 24
    caskey said:
    Update? Oh, you mean reword the headline so it's not clickbait? Nah, ain't gonna happen.

The headline is not clickbait. It's an advisory statement. He was driving wearing the Vision Pro. How long is irrelevant.

jetpilotronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 24

chasm said:
    I hope this guy gets used to people calling him “idiot” for at least a year or two for this stupid stunt. He’s inspiring people to do dangerous things.

I knew this would happen, and I’m glad he’s getting lambasted for it. I very much doubt this statement that it was a skit — he’s already proven himself an idiot, and most idiots lie when they get caught, so there’s no reason to believe literally ANYTHING he says.

The police should use this video as evidence to arrest him NOW, and any judge worth his seat should throw the book at him (points on his license, $$, classes, whatever the local jurisdiction allows for reckless/impaired driving).

Police need to send a message NOW that driving with a headset on  will get your ass arrested, and slapped with serious charges.

Agreed. There is zero excuse for this type of behaviour. He's not "being cool".

watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 24
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    I clicked on the Gizmodo link in the story which says 

"When contacted by Gizmodo, Dante Lentini confirmed that the video was a “skit” that he made with friends and that he wasn’t arrested. 

He claims he only drove with the headset for 30-40 seconds while driving his Tesla."

Assuming he was anywhere other than an empty parking lot it's still incredibly stupid, but it puts the story in an entirely different light.

For reference for those who don't know, Tesla's have attention monitoring software that activates whenever Autopilot or Full Self Driving is engaged. The car requires someone to be sitting in the driver's seat and the seatbelt to be buckled. It also tracks gaze and torque on the steering wheel. The gaze tracking is done via a camera over the rearview mirror and is not as good as the iPhone's. When it can't be used (e.g. night time, sunglasses) the system resorts to checking torque on the steering wheel periodically. It can detect the difference between a weight and your hands and will disengage if you try to use a weight to trick it. If it doesn't detect some sort of driver input it will nag you with an alert. The time between these nags can vary between 10 and 90+ seconds depending on the driving conditions (heavy city traffic with construction vs cruising straight on an uncontested interstate.) If the system sees you using your cell phone it will immediately disengage and disable itself for the rest of your drive.

edited February 5 avon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 24
    caskey said:
    So only “about 30 seconds” endangering the safety of everyone on the road and you think that somehow makes it better?

WTF is wrong with people? You’re moving at high speed down the road in a big metal box weighing thousands of pounds. Pay attention to driving the car.
    edited February 5 MplsPbaconstangronnwatto_cobra