$300 Vision Pro developer strap is just an expensive USB2 device

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro

Apple is selling developers a $300 USB-C dongle to connect the Apple Vision Pro to a Mac, but in this incarnation, it turns out to be no faster than Wi-Fi.

Apple Vision Pro Developer Strap
Apple Vision Pro Developer Strap

The Developer Strap completely replaces the right-hand side audio assembly on the Apple Vision Pro and lets users then connect the headset to a Mac using a USB-C cable. Apple says that the strap provides "a USB-C connection between Apple Vision Pro and Mac and is helpful for accelerating the development of graphics-intensive apps and games."

But now developers are using them in the real world and finding that, overall, it's not worth the money, nor very performant.

Developer Dimitri Bouniol was perhaps the first to suspect something when he used the cable to connect his Apple Vision Pro to his Mac. He checked its details in the System Information report.

"[Apple Vision Pro] shows up as a "Composite Device" in System Profiler, and is unfortunately limited to USB 2 speeds," wrote Bouniol on Mastodon.

We had some questions, so we reached out further. Bouniol then told AppleInsider that he used Apple's own 0.5m Thunderbolt 3 cable to test the real-world speed, which is capable of 10 gigabits per second between a USB 3.2 host and connected device.

Only developers in the US can buy the Developer Strap
Only developers in the US can buy the Developer Strap

He then experimented with a plain USB-C cable shipped with [a] SanDisk SSD capable of 10 gigabits per second. This too delivered USB2 speeds, with him saying that it "gives the same report in System Profiler."

"Putting a 3 GB file in my Xcode project and building that took ~27 seconds to install on device," says Bouniol. "Doing the same with WiFi only took the same amount of time."

The Developer Strap is effectively a dongle that lets developers connect the Apple Vision Pro to a Mac through USB. In every USB chain, max speed is limited to the slowest speed provided by the host, the connected device, the dongle, or the cable. In this case, the choke point is clearly the dongle.

Bouniol says he wondered whether this meant that a connection would default to Wi-Fi if that turns out to be faster for installation. However, he tried accounting for that by switching off Wi-Fi entirely.

"Ok, tried with WiFi off," he wrote, "and it took ~107s to transfer a 4GB file, giving us ~300 Mbps, which is about exactly what I would expect over USB 2's 480 Mbps theoretical max, so definitely going at USB2 speeds."

Apple doesn't promise specific speeds, nor say much at all about the cable beyond the developer strap "accelerating" development. At USB2 speeds, though, it's a very slow direct connection versus modern connectivity provided by USB 3.2 or Thunderbolt, so it's not clear how this is an acceleration.

It's also not clear if a future patch will do anything for speeds. The connection between the developer strap and the headset has more pins than a USB-C cable or a Thunderbolt cable does, so in theory, this could be capable of a very fast connection assuming the electronics behind the connector are robust enough.

Since our conversation with Bouniol, we've spoken to other developers that we've known for years about the strap. They are similarly non-plussed by the offering.

"It would be great if it could use alt-mode for direct video streaming from the Mac, but it can't even do that," one developer told AppleInsider on the condition of anonymity. "This is $300 burned to ash."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Amazing. We've gone from the hidden port on the early Apple Watch that had such potential to having to buy a $300 USB2 dongle that adds no useful functionality whatsoever. Who at Apple is greenlighting these products? Have they somehow never heard of goodwill? This product is creating badwill with developers, who are possibly the single most important group of people outside Apple employees to turning the AVP into a success.
    elijahggrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 17
    timpetus said:
    Amazing. We've gone from the hidden port on the early Apple Watch that had such potential to having to buy a $300 USB2 dongle that adds no useful functionality whatsoever. Who at Apple is greenlighting these products? Have they somehow never heard of goodwill? This product is creating badwill with developers, who are possibly the single most important group of people outside Apple employees to turning the AVP into a success.
    Tim Cook
    elijahggrandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 17
    So useful only if you need to load on low level firmware or if you are still an in-office developer on a wi-fi network that doesn’t allow devices to see each other which is common on enterprise networks. I’m pretty sure developers that work in an office only exist in Cupertino.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    My money is on the software was too wonky to get the port to deliver a faster speed without turning the data into garbage and they couldn’t fix it before launch. 

Is Appleinsider going to have a pool going on how many updates this product gets before summer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    Any chance this allows for connecting other USB accessories (like Apple dongles or a USB key?)
     Has any developer tried that out?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Any chance this allows for connecting other USB accessories (like Apple dongles or a USB key?)
    We have, and nothing works.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    If you have several developers on the same WI-FI network, I could see how this could improve performance. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Apple priced this cable at $300? Really? $300?
    grandact73williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Apple priced this cable at $300? Really? $300?
    Well, cheaper than a set of wheels ;-)
    muthuk_vanalingamavon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,647member
    It’s for developers so it’s not going to sell in huge quantities to lower costs, but I’m sure a YTer is going to buy one to show us how “desparate he is for content.

What kind of pearl-clutching blankety-blank is going to complain about this?  Someone who complains about everything even if it doesn’t affect them.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17

Is it usb2 hardware? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I don't really understand what's in the box, is it a complete replacement for the knit band?  And it presents a USB-A port out of the side of the headband?  Any chance of pictures of it attached?
    edited February 8 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Nm, found it on another site.  So it doesn't replace the band, it replaces the right strap that houses the right speaker and is part of the band of the AVP unit itself.  And it just has a USB-A dongle goofily hanging out of it.

Interesting that there are all these Lightning-like connectors in the AVP.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Is it usb2 hardware? 
    No, that's the strange part. It's electrically USB-C. Right now, I think that the connector inside the headset is in theory capable of higher speeds, but Apple just isn't willing it so.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17

Is it usb2 hardware? 
    No, that's the strange part. It's electrically USB-C. Right now, I think that the connector inside the headset is in theory capable of higher speeds, but Apple just isn't willing it so.
    Could be that they want to be careful of generating loads of heat right next to your ear.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    With Apples track record on providing much needed development support I’m not surprised at the cost. Next year they will release model 2.0 for half the price and 10 times the speed. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,452member

Is it usb2 hardware? 
    Looks like the strap is connecting through Thunderbolt. Like with a lot of things with the AVP, software for a lot of things is running way way behind. It's curious they even let developers buy it, but once they get 10 to 40 Gbits/s going through it, I imagine they will let consumers by it too.

Thinking that recording to an external SSD and reading from an SSD, and supporting other TB related products will come, just takes time. Not supporting Bluetooth mice is a strange thing to leave in the parking lot.