Now the US government is demanding users not wear Apple Vision Pro while driving

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 6

In what is perhaps the most obvious government proclamation ever, the US Secretary for Transportation has stepped in to remind drivers that they must be "fully engaged" after more footage emerges of an Apple Vision Pro being used behind the wheel.

A person wearing Apple Vision Pro sitting inside gray Tesla against a dark background.
Don't wear your Apple Vision Pro behind the wheel

It didn't take long for a Tesla driver to decide to risk his and other people's safety by using an Apple Vision Pro while driving. At least in that case, the Tesla car had driver assistance -- but now the Secretary of Transportation has released video of an even more dangerous example.

Reminder-- ALL advanced driver assistance systems available today require the human driver to be in control and fully engaged in the driving task at all times. pic.twitter.com/OpPy36mOgC

-- Secretary Pete Buttigieg (@SecretaryPete)

The video shared on Twitter by Secretary Pete Buttigieg shows a driver performing quite intricate hand movements to control the Apple Vision Pro he's wearing. What's most significant, however, is that he is doing this while driving a Tesla Cybertruck.

Unlike other Teslas, the Cybertruck has no self-driving features. So he's driving a car that weighs at least three tons, and assuming this isn't a skit, the driver is sufficiently distracted that he doesn't notice being filmed.

Consequently there is no difference between his driving this Cybertruck and any other car. If the car did have driver assistance, though, his vision would still be impaired -- and the car could hand back control at any moment.

The footage was shared in a tweet by Secretary Pete Buttigieg who presumably assumed the Tesla Cybertruck had driver assistance. Secretary Buttigieg has not commented further and it isn't known what happened to this particular driver.

While Apple has not commented on this specific incident, it has all along stressed that Apple Vision Pro should only be worn in a safe place.

"Never use Apple Vision Pro while operating a moving vehicle, bicycle, heavy machinery," its support documentation says, "or in any other situations requiring attention to safety."

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    People are just so dumb that a warning like this is even needed.
    Anilu_777bala1234ronnmike1kiltedgreentyler82watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Weird how no warning was ever needed for people to not drive while wearing a Meta Quest.
    mike1watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Darwin strikes again
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sbdudesbdude Posts: 261member
    Where would we be without Secretary Pete Buttigieg? I shudder to think.
    williamlondonForumPostwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Given how many people I see using their phones (mostly in their hands) while driving and while biking, I expect this to be an issue that won’t go away until there’s a unit you can use while piloting a vehicle of some kind. Having a heads up display in these situations, if they can enhance safety, would be a good thing. [NOTE: Boston has more shitty, inattentive, red-light blowing, willfully endangering others drivers and riders, than any other place I’ve been. Including the NY metro area and suburbs. Too many people lean into being a “masshole” when they get on the road. I pray for the day when people can no longer drive/ride without an AI minder.] (I’m sure there will be comments after this insisting that it’s a right to be a shitty driver/rider, or that they personally are the best driver/rider in the world, or some other such nonsense. You’re not. Your’re a shitty, distracted, entitled driver like everyone else. And the sooner we remove humans from the driver’s seat, the better.)
    darbus69watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Given how many people I see using their phones (mostly in their hands) while driving and while biking, I expect this to be an issue that won’t go away until there’s a unit you can use while piloting a vehicle of some kind. Having a heads up display in these situations, if they can enhance safety, would be a good thing. [NOTE: Boston has more shitty, inattentive, red-light blowing, willfully endangering others drivers and riders, than any other place I’ve been. Including the NY metro area and suburbs. Too many people lean into being a “masshole” when they get on the road. I pray for the day when people can no longer drive/ride without an AI minder.] (I’m sure there will be comments after this insisting that it’s a right to be a shitty driver/rider, or that they personally are the best driver/rider in the world, or some other such nonsense. You’re not. Your’re a shitty, distracted, entitled driver like everyone else. And the sooner we remove humans from the driver’s seat, the better.)
    Try driving on the DC Beltway anytime during the day. It will make Metro NY look like a cakewalk.
    AniMillbaconstanggilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 156member
    goofy1958 said:
    Try driving on the DC Beltway anytime during the day. It will make Metro NY look like a cakewalk.

ohh man. Have I got stories about that. I use to make safety programs for high schoolers. I had access to police/rescue photo books of horrific accident scenes within the DC Beltway. So yeah, I’d be all for AI driving assist on roadways like this.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Honestly, I call bullshit on the video. His hand is on the wheel until the exact moment the camera pulls up to him and the rapid 2-handed gestures he’s making looks fake. In all the video I’ve seen of people using it, nobody’s been doing it that quickly. 
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 620member
    goofy1958 said:
    One can dream about what is or is not a cakewalk. Literally no comparison to NYC traffic. It sounds impressive though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Respite said:
    Weird how no warning was ever needed for people to not drive while wearing a Meta Quest.

I was thinking the same thing. Barely notice Meta Quest in my daily internet travels, but Apple Vision Pro is popping up everywhere!

As for this Cybertruck driver... he's just keep us all reminded that Tesla drivers are a special, selfish, arrogant breed of humans.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    caskey said:
    Honestly, I call bullshit on the video. His hand is on the wheel until the exact moment the camera pulls up to him and the rapid 2-handed gestures he’s making looks fake. In all the video I’ve seen of people using it, nobody’s been doing it that quickly. 

You want this to be fake, but it's not. Your assessment is false. His hands were not on the wheel at all, and he had no idea that he was being recorded. That's obvious to anyone.
    edited February 6 ronngilly33watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Respite said:

I was thinking the same thing. Barely notice Meta Quest in my daily internet travels, but Apple Vision Pro is popping up everywhere!

As for this Cybertruck driver... he's just keep us all reminded that Tesla drivers are a special, selfish, arrogant breed of humans.
    This is what you call a "Visionairhead"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    caskey said:

You want this to be fake, but it's not. Your assessment is false. His hands were not on the wheel at all, and he had no idea that he was being recorded. That's obvious to anyone.
    My "assessment" was an opinion. Your statement of a "fact" is actually also just an opinion. Show me the proof that this is not fake....I'll wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    notrsnotrs Posts: 46member
    With the sensors available, it should be easy enough for Apple to update the OS where if a steering wheel/dashboard/odometer, etc.  is detected the device will not work.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    caskey said:

Except that the idiot in question has since admitted that it was a skit recorded for views.  Allegedly not driving on a road (gods, I hope anyway), only about 30-40 seconds of actual driving time, and certainly not arrested, as the original story reported.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    Respite said:

Bacause no car has META QUEST PLAY?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Steve HumistonSteve Humiston Posts: 18unconfirmed, member
    I don't get what the issue is? These glasses are see through and the drive assist stuff would be in front of you.. maps... everything .. you'd never ever have to  take your eyes off the road...

If your peripheral vision is lacking .. then yes.... I haven't worn them
  • Reply 18 of 19
    RespiteRespite Posts: 111member
    Respite said:
    Bacause no car has META QUEST PLAY?
    Wtf is META QUEST PLAY?  No car has APPLE VISION PRO PLAY either.
    edited February 8
  • Reply 19 of 19
    I don't get what the issue is? These glasses are see through and the drive assist stuff would be in front of you.. maps... everything .. you'd never ever have to  take your eyes off the road...

If your peripheral vision is lacking .. then yes.... I haven't worn them
    One word: latency.