Some Apple Vision Pro owners can't buy AppleCare on the device

Posted:
in Apple Vision Pro edited February 3

Unlike with a Mac or iPhone, it appears that it's not possible for everybody to buy AppleCare coverage for an Apple Vision Pro on device.

AppleCare logo superimposed on Apple Vision Pro
Without AppleCare, Apple Vision Pro repair costs can be up to $2,399

Users who have bought an iPhone and elected not to get AppleCare will know that the iOS Settings app prompts them about it. For a period after purchase, the buyer will keep seeing a red badge and the prompt to update the iPhone with AppleCare.

In the list of things we are only learning about Apple Vision Pro now that it is in users' hands, there is the situation with AppleCare. As spotted by AppleInsider writer Wes Hilliard after picking up his Apple Vision Pro at Apple Downtown Nashville, AppleCare is handled differently for this device.

There is no AppleCare prompt in Settings for some users, including two headsets owned by AppleInsider, and there is no option to buy it through any part of the Apple Vision Pro device. We've also tried to do it online with an AppleCare representative, and were told to do it in-store.

Instead, while Apple has not confirmed this, it appears that a user who wants AppleCare has two options:

1. Buy it at point of ordering the device (online or in store)

2. Go to an Apple Store and buy AppleCare in person

One reader has told AppleInsider that they were able to purchase AppleCare through their Apple Vision Pro by going to Settings, Info. But the option is simply not there for two AppleInsider staffers, and others who have contacted us, even after the update to 1.0.2.

So it's a puzzling situation. And it's also a curious omission for such a costly device, especially as Apple has already revealed that repairing a damaged Apple Vision Pro can be very expensive.

AppleCare for Apple Vision Pro costs $499, and any incident of damage repair requires a further fee of $299. But repairing a damaged Apple Vision Pro screen without AppleCare, costs $2,399.

Update February 3 11:59 AM ET: Clarified further in text that the issue does not impact all users.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    This device seems like a beta product, and probably is.
    edited February 2
  • Reply 2 of 9
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,863member
    A curious omission that makes no sense at all.

Perhaps an overzealous stance to make sure people don't try to get it with the device already damaged?

Do you have to take it with you for inspection before they allow you purchase it? 

That doesn't sound right so I imagine it's just an omission. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Does $499 provide AppleCare+ for 2 years? I've not seen it documented anywhere how long the coverage lasts for Vision Pro.
    edited February 2 watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,128member
    cpsro said:
    Does $499 provide AppleCare+ for 2 years? I've not seen it documented anywhere how long the coverage lasts for Vision Pro.
    It is 2 year coverage. It's listed about 2/3 of the way down the page where it discusses monthly or 2 year pricing.
    https://www.apple.com/support/products/apple-vision-pro/

avon b7 said:
    A curious omission that makes no sense at all.

Perhaps an overzealous stance to make sure people don't try to get it with the device already damaged?

Do you have to take it with you for inspection before they allow you purchase it? 

That doesn't sound right so I imagine it's just an omission. 
    The title could use a tweak - it could be interpreted as you can't add AppleCare + on the device, rather than can't add AppleCare + through the settings on the Device.

Your inspection suggestion sounds like a plausible reason.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Makes sense to me — for such an expensive device, an inspection would be necessary.
    applebynaturewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Set a reminder on the iPhone to notify you 58 days in that you need to get Apple Care plus. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    One of the first things I did once I got home from the Apple Store was purchase AppleCare through the settings. Odd that it isn’t appearing for some. Also, did we forget you could get AppleCare through the Support app or the check coverage site through serial number? I think this is just a bug tbh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    This article is wrong. I bought it on device after getting it home.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,893administrator
    lz13 said:
    This article is wrong. I bought it on device after getting it home.
    This article was not wrong when it was written on February 2, nor did it apply to all users. The problem was patched in visionOS 1.0.2.
    gatorguymuthuk_vanalingam