Apple makes it really hard for users to completely stop it from collecting data

Posted:
in iOS

Apple's default apps are collecting user data even if users try disabling them, research from Aalto University claims, with it being an almost impossible task to properly accomplish.

Apple's Advanced Data Protection feature
Apple's Advanced Data Protection feature

Apple prides itself on making privacy a key reason to own an iPhone and its other products. It has privacy policies like App Tracking Transparency that can limit the amount of data collected by third-party apps installed by users.

However, a study by Aalto University that examined default apps and services included as part of a new iPhone found Apple's own apps can feed back a lot of data to Apple. Also, that data was hard to prevent from being collected in the first place.

The researchers analyzed eight "apps," specifically Safari, Siri, iMessage, FaceTime, and Find My, as well as settings for Family Sharing, Location Services, and Touch ID. Publicly-available privacy-related information was collected from technical documentation and privacy policies for analysis.

Users "don't know what is going on" due to the way the user interface is designed, said associate professor Janne Lindqvist.

One example is that users are given the option to enable Siri. But the option only enables whether Siri's voice control is used, and that Siri still collects data in the background regardless of the user's choice.

Users have to go into the settings and make changes there to stop the behavior, which the prompt seemingly offers without actually performing.

A confusing affair

The instructions to restrict data access were deemed "very complex and confusing" by the report, with steps scattered in various online documents without any clear direction provided. The instructions also didn't provide all the required steps, and declined to explain how any collected data was processed by Apple.

To try and prove that it was difficult for users, volunteers were interviewed and asked to change the settings. None of the participants managed to follow all of the instructions to prevent the data collection, but they were able to take steps in the right direction.

There were also complaints that users weren't given feedback on whether they succeed to disable data collection while dealing with privacy settings. Study participants allegedly went backwards in the process on occasion, and sometimes resorted to scrolling randomly for inspiration.

A collection mystery

While stopping Apple's own data collection is difficult, researchers were also unable to find out exactly what Apple did with collected data in many cases.

After failing to find definitive answers from public documents, Lindqvist proposed that it was likely the data would be used to train machine-learning systems for services like Siri, or to provide more personalized user experiences.

The professor offered that the seamless multi-device interactions users are accustomed to makes it hard to revert to a time of more limited data sharing with companies. Even so, Lindqvist believes Apple could do better in being clearer with customers about what data is collected and what it is used for.

To avoid data collection from some apps, the report offers that users could use third-party apps, which face tougher rules for data collection on iOS than what Apple itself abides by. This is something that critics of Apple have picked up on in the past, and has resulted in multiple lawsuits over the disparity.

Apple has previously been open in acknowledging that it collects data on its users to benefit its own services, and has done so for years. However, it often does so while minimizing the amount of data collected, and anonymizing the data where possible.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,953member
    I just wish that they would improve parental controls.
    AfarstarAlex_VMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Data that leaves your iPhone doesn’t mean it’s being “collected” by Apple. The article even mentions services like Continuity that require data to be transferred so devices can work together.

Further, data that leaves your device and goes to Apple doesn’t mean it’s being abused (like used for targeted ads).

There’s also a huge difference between data going to a company like Apple and someone like Meta or Google who make 98/80% of their revenue from targeted ads. They need your data to survive. To Apple your data isn’t even pocket change.
    OferAlex1NAlex_VMplsPjas99watto_cobraMacPro
  • Reply 3 of 11
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,859member
    Data that leaves your iPhone doesn’t mean it’s being “collected” by Apple. The article even mentions services like Continuity that require data to be transferred so devices can work together.

Further, data that leaves your device and goes to Apple doesn’t mean it’s being abused (like used for targeted ads).

There’s also a huge difference between data going to a company like Apple and someone like Meta or Google who make 98/80% of their revenue from targeted ads. They need your data to survive. To Apple your data isn’t even pocket change.
    So why bother obfuscating the whole 'how to switch things off' situation'?

And this is presumably the EU iOS interface. 

I wonder if it's even harder to figure out on US devices. 

There was always a lot of talk about how to unsubscribe from services in the US but doing so for the same services in the EU was generally far easier (due to EU law). I could unsubscribe from Apple TV+ with one button and it's the same for Amazon Prime etc. 

I would assume though that somewhere within the EU required privacy statement, details will be provided on what is being pumped off the phone. Perhaps a little cryptically though.

At the very least, it should be easier for users to find the relevant settings for data collection, understand them and switch them off if desired. 
    edited April 10 Alex1NAlex_Vwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,153member
    ...spyOS...?
    edited April 10 Alex1NAlex_V
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Short of sharing data with the government or law enforcement, the main and perhaps only reason to track data, is for understanding you as a customer better. When is the last time that you felt that something you did on an Apple app led to targeted ads? Now compare that to doing a Google search on ANY device or posting something on  Instagram or Facebook... it is uncanny that all of a sudden you start seeing personalized  ads. I may be naive on this I will admit. Apple should outline what they are tracking and for what, but I doubt it will be nefarious or to target you as a customer.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,383member
    So in the opinion of commenters so far:
    No one is the least bit concerned as long as their data isn't being used for ad targeting. Anything else is fair use? 
    ctt_zhgrandact73
  • Reply 7 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    gatorguy said:
    No one is the least bit concerned as long as their data isn't being used for ad targeting. Anything else is fair use? 
    It would be ideal if there was complete transparency in what the data is being used for and whether it's personally identifiable information (PII). Given that Apple is a product company (bottom line depends on product sales and product-related services), I'm sure they'd come out looking far better than companies who are advertising, data broker, and/or AI technology funded. Though it would be interesting to see how they're using data to train their AI models which investors are so keen on these days.

I'd be willing to bet that's why government regulators like the EU aren't going after companies and mandating data collection transparency. Because, in some cases, the trail would lead back to them and there'd be a lot of questions to answer.
    edited April 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    MesonMeson Posts: 11member

According to Statista, Apple's ad revenue is expected to be around $14 billion by 2027. Where do you think Apple is getting this data from to target ads?

I do agree that Meta and Google are crappy companies and their main revenue source is selling your data, but Apple is not completely innocent in this either.
    ctt_zh
  • Reply 9 of 11
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,744member
    Meson said:

According to Statista, Apple's ad revenue is expected to be around $14 billion by 2027. Where do you think Apple is getting this data from to target ads?

I do agree that Meta and Google are crappy companies and their main revenue source is selling your data, but Apple is not completely innocent in this either.
    The harsh reality of Capitalism: if you've created and are selling a product, and your competitors are able to sell the same product for cheaper because they've found ways to offset the cost of production via shady means, but no one pays attention/cares about that fact and simply picks the cheapest product, what are you to do?

It really boils down to creating complete transparency and consumers being able to make informed choices. If the vast majority of consumers are truly willing to buy a cheaper product knowing that it's essentially spying on them all the time (and where that information is going), then so be it. They've made the choice and so they can't complain about the "evil" of data harvesting.

I always like to pose the question to people: if someone offered you $1000 to place cameras and microphones all over your home, and you also had to wear one wherever you go, would you accept?
    edited April 11 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    I'd like to know why, when I have all of macOS Mail's privacy settings enabled for loading web content in iCloud Mail messages anonymously in the background, Little Snitch still prompts me to allow connections to 3rd party sites when opening messages.
    edited April 11 cornchipgatorguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,778member
    gatorguy said:
    What nefarious other uses are you suggesting there could be?  Just curious.  To me, traffic is a good example of benign data collection by Apple, and this is 100% anonymous.  Apple can report traffic jams, for example. However, not long ago, Google would alert my real estate daughter if someone was crossing on the ferry to Martha's Vineyard and had Googled multi-million dollar properties.  She was then provided with their details.  This all paid for, of course.  That's quite a difference.  This seems to have been stopped by Apple, where iPhones are concerned, and not too many Android users are in that category, so she, for one, misses this 'service' ;).
    edited April 13 tmay