All of the specs of the iPhone SE 4 may have just been leaked

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 17

A leak that is chiefly rounding up previous rumors about the iPhone SE 4 has added that it will have AI-based camera features, and contrary to expectations, will resemble the iPhone 13 more than the iPhone 14.

Hand holding a smartphone displaying app icons on screen with a brick wall in the background.
Leaker claims that the iPhone SE 4 will resemble the iPhone 13, at least from the front

There are now so many rumors about the iPhone SE 4, such as renders, that it sounds as if it must be coming soon, instead of in early 2025 as most recently claimed. Now a new leaker, with no Apple-related track record, is claiming to have all the specifications for it.

Perhaps most notably, leaker Nguyen Phi Hung goes on to say that the camera will feature "AI photography." There is already so much Machine Learning-based processing done on photos by the iPhone that it's possible this is just a reference to that, rather than some new AI feature.

The leaker also claims that unlike at least many previous rumors, the iPhone SE 4 will resemble the iPhone 13 rather than the iPhone 14. It's not an especially significant difference, though, as both models came before Apple moved the Face ID notch to the Dynamic Island.

iPhone SE 4 rumored specifications:
- Size and weight: 148.5 x 71.2 x 7.8mm, 166g
- Appearance: 7000 series aluminium alloy, right-angled frame, front and rear glass (no Ceramic Shield). Front looks like iPhone 13, with Face ID support; back looks like Xr, with one camera.

-- Nguyen Phi Hung (@negativeonehero)

So the front will have a Face ID notch. The rear, according to this new roundup leak, will more resemble the iPhone XR with its single camera.

The leaker also says that the camera will not support night mode, but will support 1080p cinematic mode. Previously, cinematic mode has required the use of at least two cameras, so it's not clear how it will be done here.

Backing up the impression that this is less a new source and more a roundup of previous rumors, the leaker repeats that the screen is expected to be a 6.1-inch model. It also claims that this will be an OLED screen, marking the first time this technology has been used in the iPhone SE.

Also new, but perhaps crossing into wishful thinking, is the claim that the iPhone SE 4 will include 6GB RAM, as compared to the 4GB of previous models.

The processor is said to be Apple's A16 Bionic, which was introduced with the iPhone 14 Pro. If this is correct, it means two years after the iPhone SE 3 was released, this next model is getting a processor that is only one year newer.

Leaker Nguyen Phi Hung does not comment on the expected price of the iPhone SE 4, nor on when it will be announced. The most common rumors for release puts shipments for the device happening in 2025.

The iPhone SE 3 shipped in March 2022.

Rumor Score: Possible

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    There are many iPhone users who would want cheaper new iPhone but in 2025 it will be challenge to position SE4 with features and price to be attractive against previous versions of new or used iPhone 13,14,15 at various price point.
    pulseimageswatto_cobraMisterKitwilliamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 9
    nubusnubus Posts: 393member
    SE 3rd gen is without USB C. Without a refresh there won't be any affordable models available in the EU as iPhone 14, 13, current SE are about to be removed from the market (not a single new device can be available at the end of 2024 - clearing the sales channel will take months).
    retrogustowilliamlondonAlex1N
  • Reply 3 of 9
    longfanglongfang Posts: 459member
    wood1208 said:
    There are many iPhone users who would want cheaper new iPhone but in 2025 it will be challenge to position SE4 with features and price to be attractive against previous versions of new or used iPhone 13,14,15 at various price point.
    Not really. Even just the usb protocol difference between the pro and non pro 15 made the choice easy for me. Throw in the titanium, lidar and additional camera modules and it becomes a no brainer
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 9
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    nubus said:
    SE 3rd gen is without USB C. Without a refresh there won't be any affordable models available in the EU as iPhone 14, 13, current SE are about to be removed from the market (not a single new device can be available at the end of 2024 - clearing the sales channel will take months).

If iPhone SE 4 closely resembles to iPhone 13 than at least it will retain physical SIM slot.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    MisterKitMisterKit Posts: 496member
    My 6s is getting a little dated. Battery health 83%. An SE4 is something I would consider if I ever moved ahead.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    boboliciousbobolicious Posts: 1,146member
    ... I really enjoy the slim form factor of the current design ...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    MisterKit said:
    My 6s is getting a little dated. Battery health 83%. An SE4 is something I would consider if I ever moved ahead.
    6s batteries are cheap, and not hard to change.

I'm disappointed that the rumored SE+ didn't happen.  I really want a home button and no idiotic notch.  I still hate this XS Max I'm using now.

The 6s+ really was the best iPhone ever.  Headphone jack, real home button, big screen, it would have been perfect if I could have normally installed software.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nubusnubus Posts: 393member
    MisterKit said:
    The 12+ models have a lot of benefits. MagSafe, Face ID, OLED, and much faster networking (5G or not). Apps will feel snappy including browsing. If photos were important you probably would have upgraded - but photos even on XR were much better than 6s. You also get the latest iOS versions. I had SE 2nd gen and it felt so dated and slow with that big button. Look and swipe is better + you get more space for the display.

I'm using both 15 Pro and 12. To most I recommend 12. 13/14 are the same and 15 is not really better unless "Dynamic Island" is important (it isn't). 15 Pro... the professional photographers I work with really like it. To me it is a very fast phone with an extra function button. With AI my recommendations will change.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 9
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,315member
    MisterKit said:
    I’m in the same boat with my Gutenberg press and horse & buggy. :smile: