Apple Pencil Pro and new iPads are a warning shot at Wacom

Posted:
in iPad

Apple's new Apple Pencil Pro has two new features that make it a must-have for artists -- but is it enough to dethrone Wacom?

Graphic tablets from Wacom and Apple showing digital artwork, a hand drawing on the latter with a stylus, and text 'Wacom vs. Apple' above.
Which is the better tool for creatives -- an iPad with an Apple Pencil Pro or a Wacom tablet?

During the May Apple Event, Apple announced its new iPad Air and iPad Pro lineup. I thought they were pretty cool, but I wasn't immediately compelled to pick one up.

And then, they introduced the Apple Pencil Pro. That attacked my resolve a bit more.

I was talking to Mike after the event, and I offhandedly mentioned that now, with the addition of Barrel Roll and Squeeze, Apple has made a significant leap in closing the gap between the iPad and a traditional graphics tablet -- and I stand by it.

These two relatively minor features aren't a big deal to the average iPad user. To users like Mike, who might as well use a hot dog as a stylus for all of his artistic intent and ability, they make no difference at all.

To creatives who primarily work on the iPad, they're huge.

The Apple Pencil Pro features

Currently, Apple has four separate Apple Pencil models. This is a lot, but it's only temporary as Lightning is on the way out sooner rather than later. If you're not sure what the differences are, I suggest checking out the exhaustive buyer's guide we published recently.

The Apple Pencil Pro, which was just announced, is most like the second generation Apple Pencil. It has a handful of new features that make it worthy of the "pro" marketing term.

Barrel Roll allows users to twist the Apple Pencil Pro to rotate shaped brushes. This is a feature that is much beloved by artists, and interestingly enough, doesn't exist on some of the comparable Wacom products, specifically the Wacom One lineup.

Again, to the average user, it might not seem significant. But it's a big deal if you move between traditional and digital media. After all, traditional pencil artists will spend hours prepping their pencils, filing them to be specific shapes, solely so they have the option to rotate them to achieve different line widths and shapes.

The addition of Squeeze is great, too. I love the idea of squeezing my Apple Pencil to open up a contextual menu -- it's definitely going to be a big time saver for those who use it.

During the event, the developers behind Procreate showed how squeeze can be used to pop open a menu that allowed them to swap between a brush tool and eraser, flip the canvas horizontally, and more. This prevents users from needing to navigate around their iPad to find actions that could normally be hidden in menus.

A third feature, Haptic Feedback, is also really neat. Procreate showed an artist using it to tell when a digital element had been perfectly snapped in the center of another. While this seems small, it's another little feature that is designed to seamlessly integrate into an artists workflow and save time.

But it's worth asking, "Is this enough to warrant spending the money to upgrade?" And this goes doubly so if you already own a Wacom tablet.

I would like to start by saying this isn't a "let's compare apples to apples" kind of comparison. A Wacom tablet and an iPad are two wildly different products that just happen to have some overlap. A car and a grocery cart have four wheels, but you can't swap them interchangeably, even if they can carry your groceries from point A to point B.

However, I will try my best to highlight where each product shines and where each product falls short.

For the sake of this breakdown, I'm going to assume that you are a creative looking to purchase either a Wacom product with a screen or a new iPad capable of supporting the Apple Pencil Pro.

The perils of comparing iPad vs Wacom costs

Most people's gut reaction to picking two products is, "Which is cheaper?" or "Which gives me more bang for my buck?" And that's not particularly easy to do between an iPad and a Wacom product -- purely because they're only somewhat similar products, to begin with.

Let's get this out of the way first -- buying an iPad is not cheap. This is especially true if you need to upgrade to one of the recently released iPads and then purchase the Apple Pencil Pro.

Two modern tablets with blue abstract wallpaper overlapping against a white background.
Apple's new M2 iPad Air

However, at base cost with no trade-in, you can snag an 11-inch iPad Air and an Apple Pencil Pro for $728. If you want a little extra screen real estate, you can snag the 13-inch iPad Air and Apple Pencil Pro for $928.

Of course, if you want an iPad Pro, you will be looking at paying a significant amount more. But let's just assume you're not looking that far yet.

The Wacom One 12, Wacom's entry-level 11.6-inch "pen display," costs $309.95 but requires you to purchase a pen and cable, bringing the cost to just about $356.

The Wacom One 13 Touch is the next size up, adds touch features, and costs $599. It's still cheaper than even the base-level 11-inch iPad Air.

A well-lit workspace with a monitor displaying graphic art, a tablet, keyboard, mouse, a glass of water, calendar
Wacom One 13 Touch

The Wacom One lineup, while nice, isn't perfect. As someone who has owned multiple Wacom One products, I can personally say that they're getting better, but I don't find myself reaching for them the way I do my iPad.

But, it does get better -- and worse, kind of. Wacom One isn't the only tablet display Wacom makes, either. And here's where the line for price between the new iPads and Wacom tablets begins to blur.

If you want to bump up to the Wacom Cintiq 16, which features higher pressure levels, a built-in stand, and overall better build quality than the Wacom One line, you'll have to fork over $799.95. If you were dead set on buying a Wacom tablet, this would be the one I would suggest. Brian Patterson, AppleInsider's other resident art nerd, would also have to agree.

I have used Cintiqs. They are worth the investment.

Of course, these are "pen displays," which also assumes you have a computer of some sort and at additional expense to handle whatever art program you need. Wacom pen displays must be physically connected to a computer to work -- an iPad does not have that issue.

Wacom does have a solution for that, though -- the Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16.

A graphics tablet with stylus displaying abstract purple art and interface buttons on its side.
Wacom MobileStudio Pro 16

This is an all-in-one mobile computer that lets you run all the (Windows 10-compatible) leading software right from the device -- no auxiliary computer required. It has Windows 10 Professional, an Intel Core i7, Nvidia Quatro P1000, and 16GB of RAM.

Of course, it weighs nearly five pounds, is capped at 512GB storage, and costs $2,499.95.

An M4 iPad Pro with nano-texture glass, 2TB of storage, and an Apple Pencil Pro only costs $2,528 -- $79 more.

So, again, price isn't the place you should start looking, but it is worth noting it in your head.

iPad vs Wacom -- Portability

The iPad wins. That's it. Okay, I know I can't be that succinct about it.

I haven't gotten my hands on a fancy new iPad this cycle, but I do have a 2020 iPad Air that I adore. I'm probably the least loyalist to Apple out of everyone on the AppleInsider staff -- it's hardly a secret that I'm relatively new to macOS and somewhat of a Luddite when it comes to smartphones.

But I am unapologetically team iPad -- and a big reason for that is its portability.

I have multiple bags my iPad can fit in, should I want to tote it around town from coffee shop to coffee shop. It barely weighs anything, and it's just as happy to keep me company on my desk as it is on the couch or bed. I do not leave for a trip without my iPad -- that would be unthinkable.

As stated above, the Wacom One and Wacom Cintiq require you to plug into a computer for them to work. If you've got a laptop, it's not ideal, but it is doable. However, if you've only got a desktop, you're out of luck.

And if you snag one of those fancy $2,500 Wacom MobileStudio Pros, it weighs five pounds. My iPad Air weighs 1.01 lbs, and my MacBook Air weighs 2.8 lbs -- meaning that when combined, two of my devices weigh less than the single Wacom device.

At no point have I felt hindered by my iPad Air, and if you're a creative who likes to work in many different locations, that's a pretty big deal.

iPad vs Wacom -- Software

This category is probably the most important one and where the two devices differ the most. This is where you should be thinking long-term.

Regarding software quantity, I truly believe that -- at least at this moment -- Wacom edges out the iPad by a bit. There are so many incredible desktop art programs, like Photoshop, Illustrator, Lightroom, Rebelle, Blender, Maya, Krita, Corel Painter, Clip Studio Paint -- the list goes on and on.

And, if you're a person who works in a creative industry, chances are you'll probably be expected to work with a lot of desktop programs. That could be a big reason you decide to stick with Wacom.

Or maybe you already own a fair amount of these programs and are unsure whether you're ready to leap into the Apple ecosystem or upgrade to a newer Wacom product.

That isn't to say the iPad doesn't have incredible art applications. It does. In fact, I'd argue that it has one of the best art apps out there: Procreate.

An iPad lying on a wooden surface displaying a painting of an Apple with a stylus pen resting on its screen.
Procreate on an iPad

Countless artists exclusively use Procreate. It's a lightweight program, costs $13, is incredibly intuitive to use, and has so many fantastic add-ons available for it. My tattoo artist and I joke that when you have Procreate, you get a secondary hobby -- buying way more Procreate brush packs than you'll ever be able to use.

And Procreate isn't the only app killing it on iPad, either. While it may have had a rough start initially, Adobe has genuinely stepped up to make Photoshop, Lightroom, and Illustrator work great on the iPad -- and Fresco seems to be better every time I use it.

Don't like the idea of paying a subscription fee? Affinity's Photo and Designer for iPad are really good, too.

I haven't personally used Shapr3D, but I've seen many people make some cool things with it.

And, if we're being honest, even though I am on team iPad, it doesn't encompass 100% of my workflow, either. I prefer using my iPad when it comes to digital painting. I'm still an old-school holdout when it comes to photo editing -- I do that all on my iMac with Photoshop, though I don't use a graphics tablet in my photo editing.

When choosing, you need to think about what software you will spend most of your time with.

Which is the right choice? That's up to you.

Ultimately, whatever you choose is going to come down to personal preference. Both are great products. Both can fit pretty seamlessly into an average creative's toolkit.

If you're an independent or hobbyist artist, I'd recommend an M2 iPad Air and Apple Pencil Pro. It takes up about as much space as a sketchbook, and throwing it in a bag just in case inspiration strikes is fantastic.

Plus, it still has all the features of an iPad. You can use Messages, browse the web, and waste a bunch of time on Discord or YouTube. And with Delta, it's also a solid retro gaming platform, too.

If you can get your hands on a friend's iPad and a new Apple Pencil Pro, I implore you to try it out to see how you like it.

If you're a student -- or prospective student -- who plans on working in a professional industry in some capacity, I'd ask someone in that industry what they suggest.

And if you're an industry oldhead sitting on a plethora of desktop-based software and a slick Wacom Cintiq, you probably can just stick with your Cintiq -- but odds are you already knew that.

Read on AppleInsider

jellybelly

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 612member
    I would only compare a Cintiq Pro to an iPad due to display quality/resolution. A Cintiq Pro 17” will cost you £2,350 and you will still need a Mac or PC. 

Remember you can use all the Mac software on an iPad using SideCar (I recommend using a cable). 

So you either buy a Wacom Cintiq Pro for a bigger screen size or you buy an iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard & Pencil and compromise a bit of size for all the other iPad benefits. I wish there was a 15” iPad Pro.

I currently use an iPad Pro USB-C cabled to a MBP for ZBrush and it is brilliant. 

This year ZBrush for iPad comes out and I’ll be able to do lots of work without the MBP!

Alex_VwilliamlondonmattinozAlex1NradarthekatGraeme000watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 23
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,039member
    It has been a season since I have seen Wacom mentioned and longer since I actively used one.
    Not the illustrator of my circle, but I have a background in photography (pre digital) and do use a pen/stylus for touch up, etc.
    I bought an espresso touch monitor that can be used with either the iPad (mirror only) or Mac ( 2nd screen or mirror). It supports pen input and it would be interesting to hear what  pro illustrators think of the pen when doing the work. 
    Alex1Npulseimageswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 23
    As someone who reads nearly every article that comes out on AI, I found this article very interesting even though I suck at art and handwriting. But it is always great to learn how different people use products in ways that I am not creative enough for.
    gregoriusmwilliamlondonAlex1NirwinmauricemeterestnzradarthekatAniMillwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 23
    What about using Astropad Slate app hooked up to your Mac like Sidecar but having the option to use it like a no-screen Wacom (controlling all screens like a trackpad with pressure)? 

I was hoping to do this with my iPad I got when the pencil first came out, but it needed hover to really work.
    Now I'm hoping they're good enough and about to go for an M2 Air with Pencil Pro.

I use a cheap Wacom Intuos (no screen), but I really wanted to have that option to use the iPad like that too because back in the day, I had a Cintiq, but most of the time I used it in that no-display mode, switching with a click to only draw on the Cintiq screen.
    edited May 10 Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 23
    I've bitched about terrible articles here before (just yesterday in fact) so it's only fair to praise one that's exceptionally good.

I can't critique the tech content - I'm not a graphic artist - but it is well written. But what made me comment was this:
    "To users like Mike, who might as well use a hot dog as a stylus for all of his artistic intent and ability[...]"

That made me LOL. Thanks for that.

Alex1Naderutterirwinmauriceradarthekatnarwhalwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 23
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 97member
    Great article. 

several unaddressed very important questions:
    what about lag time between pencil input and display? Every Wacom I've used has a lag and iPad doesn't. Huge deal. Have they dramatically improved this? I haven't checked the newest models. 

you don't mention screen quality at all. Which has a better screen? The various Wacoms vs the air and the pro. (Obviously the new pro is the best display)

additionally: why price compare a 2TB iPad Pro with nanotexture with the Wacom tablet at 512 gb without nanotexture? Is the $2,500 Wacom tablets screen better than the iPad Air? Or comparable to the new pro? I'd wager it's more comparable to the air. So what is the price comparison to Wacom's (very heavy) all-in-one vs an iPad Air with pencil pro? 
    Even the 13" pro at 512gb with pencil is $1600, $900 cheaper (though with a smaller screen) an amazingly more capable processor and operating system to boot with dramatically better portability. 

It seems the other Wacom tablets are mostly more expensive due to requiring an additional computer plus computer software. And the Wacom all-in-one is MUCH more expensive and less computationally capable than a 512gb iPad Air... with the ipad having no lag time between input and display. 

All genuine questions, I may be off base. 

Definitely different strokes for different folks.
    Alex1NAlex_Vradarthekatjeffharriswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 23
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 167member
    I stopped using an Wacom tablets once Astropad Studio came out. All my Photoshop work is done on my iPad Pro 11” gen1, and it still is brilliant. I’m replacing my iPad only because the screen is cracked, and the replacement is half the price of a new iPad. The way o see it, Procreate and Astropad are the killer Killer Aps. As much as I’d love the 13”, only the 11” fits in my mini backpack. I’m OK with that.
    Alex1Nwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 23
    I'm an amateur with some drawing skills with a 2018 11" iPad Pro and pencil. I was looking online for tutorials on drawing/painting on iPad. However there are so many Youtube videos to sort through, it's hard to tell where the good ones are. (I happen to have Sketches Pro and Sketchbook, but it looks like Procreate is the one to use, so I'll take a closer look at it).

Can anybody recommend some good tutorials for drawing on the iPad (Youtube or elsewhere)? Preferably free, since I'm not a pro.

Also, I don't like the slipperiness of the pencil on the iPad glass, and would like to get recommendations for alternate tips and/or overlays that are not too expensive. App recommendations would be welcome too!

Thanks!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 23
    40domi40domi Posts: 118member
    Good article.
    However Wacom lost me, when you can't actually use it without another computer, then Wacom Pro is the same price as an iPad Pro 😳 and 5 x as heavy.
    My take from this, is Wacom is only an option for an artist that has to use software not available for the iPad.
    Personally I would use another software, rather than use a Wacom.
    Then again I'm not a pro artist, so what do I know eh.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 23
    aderutteraderutter Posts: 612member
    Get a Paperlike screen protector if you want a more tactile drawing experience on ipad.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 23
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,867member
    iobserve said:
    several unaddressed very important questions:
    You forgot, Mike who?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 23
    I really enjoyed this article. I’m not an artist, but the new iPad Pro with M4 looks like the replacement for my MacBook Pro 13inch 2016.  Pretty well all the Apps I use are now available on iPad OS making the change possible. I see the M4 as a good future proof option in regards to AI and the ssd in the MacBook is starting to get bad sectors so will probably die fairly quickly anyway. 

The article has informed me of several Apps I might find interesting to try. You never know, I might have a budding artist hiding in my head. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,840member
    If Apple ever makes a 27 or 32" Apple Pro Studio Display that worked with Apple Pencil and was "decently" priced I think that would really hurt Wacom. I just don't know how much of a market there is for Apple to develop such a display. 
    edited May 12 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 23
    AniMillAniMill Posts: 167member
    macxpress said:
    If Apple ever makes a 27 or 32" Apple Pro Studio Display that worked with Apple Pencil and was "decently" priced I think that would really hurt Wacom. I just don't know how much of a market there is for Apple to develop such a display. 
    I’ve always said that the Windows Studio PC is what the iMac should have become: a display you can move freely to a tablet layout and Pencil friendly. I really wish the Mac Studio was this.
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,816member
    Wow. Fantastic article, Neely. 

Really appreciate the thoughtfulness, detail, and and objectivity that went into the comparisons. Sounds like you had a little fun with the conversant style as well. Though a detailed article, it was a pleasant read and was finished before I knew it. 

Also, agreed on every point. 

More Neely articles, please. 
    edited May 12 watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 23
    AniMill said:
    macxpress said:
    I’ve always said that the Windows Studio PC is what the iMac should have become: a display you can move freely to a tablet layout and Pencil friendly. I really wish the Mac Studio was this.
    Totally agreed. I hope the delay in launching a massive apple silicon iMac is for that reason - to make it the ultimate creative machine. 

When the ms surface desktop came out and was so capable and date I say innovative, I kept wondering how in the world apple could not have gone there first. The creative suite on touch iMac would be fantastic. If apple has any ambitions to take on Adobe, that would be a great start. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,840member
    AniMill said:
    macxpress said:
    Totally agreed. I hope the delay in launching a massive apple silicon iMac is for that reason - to make it the ultimate creative machine. 

When the ms surface desktop came out and was so capable and date I say innovative, I kept wondering how in the world apple could not have gone there first. The creative suite on touch iMac would be fantastic. If apple has any ambitions to take on Adobe, that would be a great start. 
    I don't think Apple has any ambitions of taking on Adobe and I don't think it needs to. This needs to be a separate display, not an integrated display so when the hardware is out of date someone has to buy the display again just to upgrade their hardware. It would be silly IMO for them to make this the iMac and Apple is not releasing an iMac Pro. It makes no sense at all to release an iMac Pro when they have Mac Studio out which is doing extremely well for them. 
    9secondkox2watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 23
    I've been reading Apple Insider for 20 years but just set up an account to comment on this thread.

I'm an illustrator and storyboard artist. I've been working on Macs and Wacom tablets for over 25 years by now, starting with an ADB Intuos 2 on a PowerPC G3 running OS7 around 1998.

I think it is ridiculous to compare the iPad to a Cintiq and claiming they're competing. Apple Insider might be excited to imagine Apple winning over Wacom, but the reality is far more complex.

Personnally, I work on Photoshop and Toonboom Storyboard Pro. The latter is a desktop application, and has no iPad version. It is timeline-based, has animation tools, and export functions that allow to output MOV animatics, psd files, and so on.  Procreate, atthough very good at what it does, does not have these features.

A Cintiq also works with the normal OSX cursor, which allows for hovering, and seemless multi-screen integration. The iPad cursor is a pain in the ass as soon as you need to switch between apps, won't allow many screens, and the hovering is terrible.  The Wacom stylus also comes in a few versions of different width, and has programmable buttons (I use it for right-click and screen switch).

Also, although Procreate has amazing results, it is still a "big-iphone" interface,. Personnally, I dislike the amount of laborious clicking around needed to manage layer modes, draw straight lines, manage batches of files, etc. Does beautiful things, sure, but it feels like a very frustrating toy.

Finally, Wacom gained their status by being constant, and proposing devices that are reliable long term investments, that you can expect to keep over the lifespans of a few computers (up to 15-20 years).  Apple is far from doing that.

Very often, I'll travel and work on my Macbook Air with a Huion 13" portable screen-tablet, after years of using a 12" Cintiq. These setups are bulky, I would totally be happy if Apple offered the option of an iPad with full Mac oSX, multiple USB-C and A plugs, audio jack, and VESA mounting brackets (something like a modern Axiotron Modbook).  I'd carry that OSX tablet, a portable secondary screen and some easel stands, and I'd be all set.  The iPad lineup would be so simplified and logical with the iPad being the iOS thing and the iPad Pro running OSX.  They totally could, and it would be a real winner, but they won't, choosing instead to develop competing ecosystems that do not benefit the end user.

Until then, for most people in my field, it's a sketchbook at best. Not a professionnal workstation, unfortunately. And 'squeeze and barrel gestures" aren't changing any of that.

Seen from that angle, it's actually quite a failure, considering they still won't better drawing functionnalities established since the late 80s, and are keeping over many product updates the same limitations the iPad drawing experience has had since its introduction.

Just my two cents.
    roundaboutnowGraeme000
  • Reply 19 of 23
    macxpress said:
    AniMill said:
    macxpress said:

I don't think Apple has any ambitions of taking on Adobe and I don't think it needs to. This needs to be a separate display, not an integrated display so when the hardware is out of date someone has to buy the display again just to upgrade their hardware. It would be silly IMO for them to make this the iMac and Apple is not releasing an iMac Pro. It makes no sense at all to release an iMac Pro when they have Mac Studio out which is doing extremely well for them. 
    Tell that to the IPhone, Ipad, MacBook, and iMac owners. 

It really doesn’t need to be a separate display. At all. 

But if Apple ALSO added the capabilities to stsndalone displays, great! Win-win. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 23
    Dave CummingsDave Cummings Posts: 45unconfirmed, member
    One thing I realized with the Apple Pencil Pro in comparison with Wacom Styluses is Wacom only had one stylus IIRC that had could detect rotation, and that was the Art Pen, which was long discontinued. It was released back around their original Pro Pen (which didn't have rotation). ALL of their current styluses, the Pro Pen 2 & 3 never had this.  Occasionally I get this idea that there's something I'm missing out on being iPad only, so I entertain the idea of getting a Mac & a Cintiq, only hating the experience and either selling them or returning them.  I love it all being on my iPad
    watto_cobra