Dual 970 17" Powerbook

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Small organisms.

We'll probably see carbon nanotubes before carbon based life forms, though.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Whisper

Small organisms.

lol

PB 17" - now with iOrganisms, keeps the computer cool, but be careful not to use it in sub-zero temperatures as they will die (not covered by AppleCare).

To get serious for a moment though, I have to agree with DHagan on this one. It's more important for Apple at this time to get the 970 primarily in the powermacs and thereafter in the powerbooks. If they ship the new 970 powermacs at the WWDC and the 970 powerbooks (single processor) later this year, I would rather see them working on a 970 iMac than using developement time on a computer that at best is a niche product (and the dual 970 is a niche product, it will cost a LOT of money), and hopefully start gaining some market share. Most important things first.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    i tend to lean with Rampancy on this one...

Dual GOBI w/SIMD might be plausible if they outperform G4 and are cooler
  • Reply 24 of 40
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    cooling would not be impossible in a duel 17pb. my 17 rarely gets hot at all and the machine is big enough to spread them out far enough. But it would mess up battery life. unless you had the duels only working when pluged in. I personally do not think that duels would add that much benifit. I woulg rather have a 100gig hard drive than a duel in a PB.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

What organisms

Oh I see you mean orgasms...
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Actually I meant that with all seriousness, I read it in a Popular Science magazine as well not to long ago. Here's the first thing I found through Google to shed some light on the topic.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...eakthrough.pdf

I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a laughing matter. There really is research taking place on this concept. Can you imagine owning a laptop with dual PC 970s and no noise? I sure can. I'm not saying that these molecules will be on the 970s, but sometime down the road. I believe within the next decade or even this one, computers won't even have fans in them anymore.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive2

Actually I meant that with all seriousness, I read it in a Popular Science magazine as well not to long ago. Here's the first thing I found through Google to shed some light on the topic.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...eakthrough.pdf

I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a laughing matter. There really is research taking place on this concept. Can you imagine owning a laptop with dual PC 970s and no noise? I sure can. I'm not saying that these molecules will be on the 970s, but sometime down the road. I believe within the next decade or even this one, computers won't even have fans in them anymore.

Hey, what happened to the original SoopaDrive???
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Hey, what happened to the original SoopaDrive???

Account difficulties. I'm waiting for a response back from one of the admins. I'm getting the "You do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons..." message when I log in.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    The G4 is designed to be an embedded chip and the 7457 is going to be even more so. The low power usage of the G4 makes it perfect for laptops in general. You can actually watch a whole DVD movie on the 17" powerbook on a single charge. If Apple puts the 970 in their PowerBooks, the Battery time is going to drop by about an hour. Yet it can be done, and many PC laptops have similar Battery life. Yet, I am not sure if the 970 is the right chip for Apple's PowerBooks. The future versions of the G4 may just be a better deal. Keeping the G4 in the PowerBook allows for Apple to continue to buy chips from two sources, instead of being 100% dependent on IBM. The G4 is better than the mobile Pentium chips anyway and allows for Apple PowerBooks to remain quite portable.

In other words, is the extra Power worth the poor battery life? For some I am sure it would be, but for others, like myself, I would rather have the battery. One thing that has always made PowerBooks better than their PC counterparts is the amazing battery life. Imagine a PowerBook with a 17" gets over 3 hours regular use, and when using low power mode it can get 4.5 hours. A friend of mine bought a Dell laptop and she can't even watch a whole movie before the battery dies.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    mmicistmmicist Posts: 214member
    Quote:

I just have to say that I don't see the point of having 2 "low end" 1.2 ghz processors in the powerbooks. If they put the 1.8 ghz in it, it would have almost the same power, but with less heat and design problems. It would make them a lot easier to design and manufacture too. And they don't need to make two separate motherboards. And I guess that a single 1.8/2.0, at least when shipped in 90 nm shape, would use a lot less juice than a dual 1.2 or 1.4 would. So instead of single 1.2 and dual 1.2 at the high end, I would be very pleased if I could buy a powerbook with a 1.6 to 1.8 ghz 970 in it by MWSF. This machine would smoke most wintel offerings out there I guess

You may guess that a 1.8 would use less juice than a dual 1.2, but you would be wrong. The 1.2 in question would be running at a lower voltage (1.1V instead of 1.3V) and the IBM (estimated) figures give 19W @1.2 and 42W @1.8.

Regardless, you can't dissipate that kind of power in a laptop.

michael
  • Reply 31 of 40
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    This entire thread is total bollocks. How can you start discussing a MOSR rumor when it's been shown time and time again that they are just full of it.

Dual 970 PowerBook - not going to happen: I'll take bets on it from any fool wanting to part with his money.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by mmicist

You may guess that a 1.8 would use less juice than a dual 1.2, but you would be wrong. The 1.2 in question would be running at a lower voltage (1.1V instead of 1.3V) and the IBM (estimated) figures give 19W @1.2 and 42W @1.8.

Ok, so they would use about the same amount of power. But I would rather see a single 1.8 ghz chip than a dual 1.2. I have to agree with Clive on this one. A dual 970 powerbook is not going to happen, at least not while apple has single chips that can do about the same amount of work.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Yeah, a 970 PowerBook is possible given what we know about the 970. A dual processor PowerBook is sort of a left-field idea at this point. I'd rather Apple get just one 970 in the PowerBook instead of worrying about how to get two in there. I'd also like to say that MacOSRumors is off the wall, and they hardly, if ever, get anything right.

I like Leftfield
  • Reply 34 of 40
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member

At this point I'd be happy to see Apple put a single PPC 970 in a Powerbook.

The idea of a dual CPU powerbook at first glance seems ridiculous because it goes against everything that sets the powerbook apart, against the portable computer ideals Apple set forth in the Titanium's design a few years back:

1. Compact, thin, minimalist design. Attempt to be the thinnest, lightest laptops on the market.

2. Long battery life.

However, with the advent of the 12" and 17" Powerbooks, one could argue that Apple is diversifying their aims, striving for the portable computer ideals with the 12" powerbook, while concurrently aiming towards a "transportable workstation" with the 17" powerbook. The 15" powerbook then becomes the compromise laptop for Apple, a little of each philosophy, a general purpose laptop.

It's a bit of a long-shot, but I actually could see Apple offering a dual CPU powerbook, in the 17" form or maybe even <gasp> in a 19" form. Apple may design such a monster with the intent that it be a "transportable" computer rather than a "portable" computer, giving them free-reign to add extra batteries (or one large one) and a bulkier case to house a mondo cooling apparatus. I really don't know how difficult it would be to cool ~40 W in a 17"-19" laptop, but I suspect it's not something that's been done before, at least not in the form factor of the current 17" PB.

Does anyone have any info on those monster Wintel laptops that use desktop Pentium IV CPUs clocked at full speed? They are bulky laptops that are really designed to be transportable desktops. Looking at the power dissipation in such laptops may give an indication of the feasibility of a dual CPU powerbook.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Does anyone have any benchmarks on the 17" PowerBook verse a 2Ghz P4 laptop or centrino? The new apples seem very fast to me, but how to they compare?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I think that anyone concerned with on the road performance and battery life will opt for a 12 or 15 before the 17.

If ever there were a candidate for a dual CPU laptop the 17 is it, and it isn't even out of the question.

What we've seen of most any current CPU is that it would be easier to cool 2 CPU's at 2/3rds-3/4ths the speed of a single faster chip.

Don't discount it. Two 1.2's would probably cost less than one 1.8 It's almost always true that the fastest chips in a line command a steep premium over chips of the same family that are just a little slower.

With power and cost numbers in mind, I think a DP 17" PB would be just the kind of "Year of Laptop F-you to you too Messers Dell and Intel" that Apple needs. And given the way CPU and heat numbers tend too scale, there will always be a supply of upper-mid range CPU's to make that config happen. Shut one down under battery power, let both kick in when you're plugged in.

Keep an SP17 and drop it to 2999, and kick a DP into the game at 3499-3599. Even at that price, I can think of a profitable group of buyers for such a machine.

Might even consider specifying some of those new server grade (ie FAST) 2.5" drives that will be comming out at the end of the year. Battery life would really suck then, but hey, that's not the point of such a machine anyway.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I for one think the idea of a dual PPC970 CPU 17" Powerbook is a great one!

Think of the ability to dock it at home or work with a regular mouse (Contour PerFit), kayboard & a HD Cinema Display...

And while out and about the town, you can take your work with you if needed...

Would mainly be aimed at professional users (editing/compositing/3d animation) or those with 'extra' money...

What is this 'extra' money? How do I sign up for some of that?

How can I get my cut of the missing US$1,000,000,000,000.00 (yeah, that's trillion...) from the US military budget...?!?

Cheers!

;^p
  • Reply 38 of 40
    madmax559madmax559 Posts: 596member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

This entire thread is total bollocks. How can you start discussing a MOSR rumor when it's been shown time and time again that they are just full of it.

Dual 970 PowerBook - not going to happen: I'll take bets on it from any fool wanting to part with his money.

i predict clive will soon eat his words

& matsu will be hit with the dmca dcma dmac

for pinching all my ideas

infact why stop at 17" or even 19"

apple will soon come out with a 23" portalap

with its own tatami mat & green tea cup holder

so you can sit & compute & be ONE
  • Reply 39 of 40
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    I need to figure out a way that the board prevents you from clicking submit in Future Hardware if what you are posting has anything to do with MOSR.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Bodhi

I need to figure out a way that the board prevents you from clicking submit in Future Hardware if what you are posting has anything to do with MOSR.

Filter out MOSR, macosrumors, macosrumors.com and www.macosrumors.com