Adobe Reader 6.0 Is Now Available For Download....

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Versiontracker Link

Scroll wheels!! Scroll wheels work! Praise (insert deity here)!

It's a honkin' big app...58 MB. But it seems nice so far. Hell I'm just estatic about the scroll wheel thing. Haven't tried PDF's in web browsers yet....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Good Lord 58megs!!!!!!

Software sure ain't what it used to be size wise. One can only wonder what Adobe Reader 10 will take( 1Gig?)
  • Reply 2 of 24
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Does it still take up your whole screen?

Is it faster to load at all?

I'd playa round with it but I'm away from highspeed until the weekend and 58 MB over dialup does not sound like fun (it reminds metoo much of the afternoon I once spend blocking incoming phone calls as I downloading all the pieces of Apple's updates to System 7.5)
  • Reply 3 of 24
    headyheady Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

After a quick glance, it appears to behave exactly like 5.0, except there's a small ad for Acrobat in the toolbar, and it's slower, at least on my 400 MHz G4. It definitely doesn't launch faster.

And it adds two folders in ~/Documents -- one contains the software license agreement (but I think 5.0 did that too), the other is called "eBooks" and is empty. If you delete the empty "eBooks" folder like I just did, Reader insists on creating another one the next time you launch it.

-Heady
  • Reply 4 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    It is much better at scrolling, there's the scroll wheel support and it has a mail button in the main nav bar that I find useful. You can get rid of the ad.

It seems faster to me, but I'm going to play for it a while and make certain.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gabid

It is a nice application (you will appreciate the new search function) but overall considerably slower than Reader 5 (in a 12" powerbook). At least scroll wheel is now is supported.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    whats so great about this for most people over "preview"?
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

whats so great about this for most people over "preview"?

Text selection and ability to copy that text is one huge boon Acrobat Reader has always had over Preview. I also usually found it loaded pages and scrolled faster.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Text selection and ability to copy that text is one huge boon Acrobat Reader has always had over Preview. I also usually found it loaded pages and scrolled faster.

Text selection is incredibly important; also Preview doesn't support links inside PDFs. Yet. Along with lots and lots of other features.

I find Acrobat 6 to be a nice, polished improvement.

My only complaints (so far) is that absurd ad space in the toolbar, the overtly XP-ish look, and the general oddball interface in general. I find it noticably faster than Acrobat 5 on an iBook. Definitely tons faster than Preview, esp. for multi-page documents.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

Versiontracker Link

Scroll wheels!! Scroll wheels work! Praise (insert deity here)!

It's a honkin' big app...58 MB. But it seems nice so far. Hell I'm just estatic about the scroll wheel thing. Haven't tried PDF's in web browsers yet....

Download was only ~20 MB for me....maybe you're talking about the standard version of Acrobat?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    Quote:

Originally posted by mrmister

You can get rid of the ad.

How?

I might stick with Preview only because of that obnoxious ad. I hate adware and refuse to let it onto my system without a damn good reason.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    The initial download (the Adobe "download manager") was about 21 megs. The final app is listed as being about 57 MB when I look at it in Finder. 5.1 was 30-something MB (I deleted it so I don't remember exactly....)

As far as I can tell, still no viewing PDF's in browsers (at least on Camino...still need to test Mozilla).
  • Reply 12 of 24
    The previously mentioned Acrobat 6 link on versiontracker too me to 5.1.....
  • Reply 13 of 24
    Wait. Scratch that. Clicked the link to d/l and it tooke me there. My bad.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by VanDeWaals

As far as I can tell, still no viewing PDF's in browsers (at least on Camino...still need to test Mozilla).

You should try this:

PDF Browser Plugin 1.1.2

Wonderful plugin. I recommend it to everyone.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Quote:

You should try this:

PDF Browser Plugin 1.1.2

Oh I have that one . I was just hoping Adobe had cooked up their own version. I do agree it's a nice thing to have. Mad ups to Schubert.
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Anyone know how to get rid of that evil toolbar ad? <fires up gnutella client to begin searching for Acrobat standard version.>
  • Reply 17 of 24
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I got rid of it immediately--I think it's just in the views menu. We're talking about the one that has eBooks on it, correct?
  • Reply 18 of 24
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Sounds like a M$ app, placing folders everywhere without asking etc, having ads, being slow and bloated. I use the PDF Plugin in Safari too, since I just need it for texts online from time to time. However it doesn't scroll or select text/copy text and Find won't work. Fix that and Reader will have no use which would be good! It's still a good plugin. 58 megs for a download eh? Looks like I won't use Reader until I get back to college this fall!
  • Reply 19 of 24
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    This Adobe app is bordering on pestware. Not to mention that its UI reeks of WinXP. But why would we expect any different? At least it opens multi-page PDFs fast.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

You should try this:

PDF Browser Plugin 1.1.2

Downside is the awful smooth scrolling. I HATE smooth scrolling. There's no point in it.