OS X Panther Builds : No Piles

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    masonmcdmasonmcd Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Ok, if nobody else will do it I will myself

If piles are going to work as I describes in my previous post, they would add nothing to the computing experience other than some cool effects maybe. Creating a new folder on the desktop would be an equally simple way to group the documents.

How about the "piles" function is akin to the smart playlists of iTunes, as others have mentioned, with functionality coming from an improved open and save dialog that includes the ability to enter metadata in a field (say, entering "My Project" in some blank field, in addition to the file name, and a dropdown of previous project names, etc.).

Then, the files can be whereever you want, but the smart lists are constantly self-updating, with shortcuts in your dock.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    Quote:

Originally posted by MasonMcD

How about the "piles" function is akin to the smart playlists of iTunes, as others have mentioned, with functionality coming from an improved open and save dialog that includes the ability to enter metadata in a field (say, entering "My Project" in some blank field, in addition to the file name, and a dropdown of previous project names, etc.).

Then, the files can be whereever you want, but the smart lists are constantly self-updating, with shortcuts in your dock.

NICE WAY OF PUTTING IT. Also it saves an extra step of looking in that folder.

I already sent that small letter out, but I'm still compiling a much longer letter telling the Company, Steve, and others what they should do in the future. It's pretty interesting to go back and read my previous one that I did all the way back in Christmas of 2000. I think they actually listened to several of my points. One I was definitely for was the creation of the Apple Store (actual buildings) as there wasn't an established presence of Apple on the other coasts, other than product.

That one was kind of scary because Copeland (John was it) gave me an email back that told me to call a number at a certain time or that we could schedule a meeting. I was a freshman then and was scared...i had no idea what they would say.

enough rambling.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    zon7zon7 Posts: 41member
    I know it's a bit off topic but I'm thje only one who see a pair of mistakes in the image?

-iTunes 3 icon in the Dock

-In one window appears 2003 copyright and in the other is 2002 when both are suposed to be system windows. Wouldn't it be logic both have the same year?
  • Reply 44 of 48
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

... Something like the "downloads pile" that Chucker wants is already available today. It's called a folder. I have my downloads set to go to a specific folder appropriately called "Downloads" so they don't clutter up other places.

The point is not a missing container for downloads. I used to have a special downloads-folder too. But it gets cluttered up itself over time. 30-50 downloaded files per day (which is nothing special I guess) and you get a complete mess in just a weeks time. Now I switched back to the default download-location: the desktop. This way I always have to look at the mess and this forces me to clean up regularly by putting the files into the appropriate folders.

I'd really like to have some help from the Finder to lessen the burden of constantly cleaning up and putting files in some sort of order. Metadata seems to be the magic word here, but I have no idea how this could be accomplished.
  • Reply 45 of 48
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by willywalloo

NICE WAY OF PUTTING IT.

Well, yes, but it's amply described in John Siracuse's ars article on a better Finder. I don't have a direct link here, but there should be one somewhere.
  • Reply 46 of 48
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Well, yes, but it's amply described in John Siracuse's ars article on a better Finder. I don't have a direct link here, but there should be one somewhere.

Here's the link.

And this one's about metadata.
  • Reply 47 of 48
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Thank you, Quick.
  • Reply 48 of 48
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zon7

I know it's a bit off topic but I'm thje only one who see a pair of mistakes in the image?

-iTunes 3 icon in the Dock

-In one window appears 2003 copyright and in the other is 2002 when both are suposed to be system windows. Wouldn't it be logic both have the same year?

It's not unlikely that early builds have iTunes 3 rather than 4. Also, the copyright issue isn't a mistake either - ever compared Finder's and OS X's copyright in 10.2.x?