Brothers in Arms

Comments

• Reply 41 of 80
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    With an eye towards what happened in the past several days, and the context of the peace process going into those days, it's completely obvious to me there are leaders in the Israeli military and government who do not want peace. Who will in fact *undermine* peace, even if their own prime minister and other leaders step forward to try and make it happen. They want the land and they want all of it, and they want the Arabs out. And frankly, many of their actions this week are every bit as "terrorist" as what Hamas does. It makes me sick.

I have no friggin sympathy for Israel at this point at all. I was happy to see the Bush Administration get some balls and criticize them. Of course the jewish lobbyists came out in force then and expressed their "outrage" for not supporting Israel at all costs. I say cut off the weapons if we haven't already and let them fight it out until they're really ready for peace.

Clearly many Israelis are no better than the Palestinians who suicide bomb them. To watch the nasty Israeli protests a day or two after the peace agreement - one that included Palestinian statehood and which was endorsed by Sharon - said it all. The hard-liner Israeli citizens are so blind they can't see the hypocrisy of a policy that denies Palestinians a state. It all boils down to one thing: greed. The people in control and their constituents want it all, and they want to conceed nothing. Typical Jewish arrogance / pride. They've kidded themselves into believing their lives and needs and dreams are more important than those of the people "across the tracks".

\
  • Reply 42 of 80
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

With an eye towards what happened in the past several days, and the context of the peace process going into those days, it's completely obvious to me there are leaders in the Israeli military and government who do not want peace. Who will in fact *undermine* peace, even if their own prime minister and other leaders step forward to try and make it happen. They want the land and they want all of it, and they want the Arabs out. And frankly, many of their actions this week are every bit as "terrorist" as what Hamas does. It makes me sick.

I have no friggin sympathy for Israel at this point at all. I was happy to see the Bush Administration get some balls and criticize them. Of course the jewish lobbyists came out in force then and expressed their "outrage" for not supporting Israel at all costs. I say cut off the weapons if we haven't already and let them fight it out until they're really ready for peace.

Clearly many Israelis are no better than the Palestinians who suicide bomb them. To watch the nasty Israeli protests a day or two after the peace agreement - one that included Palestinian statehood and which was endorsed by Sharon - said it all. The hard-liner Israeli citizens are so blind they can't see the hypocrisy of a policy that denies Palestinians a state. It all boils down to one thing: greed. The people in control and their constituents want it all, and they want to conceed nothing. Typical Jewish arrogance / pride. They've kidded themselves into believing their lives and needs and dreams are more important than those of the people "across the tracks".

\

GOD you are so ****ing twisted. What just happened? Hamas rejected peace. Flat out no question about it. But here you can only blame the jews ooops I mean Israel.
  • Reply 43 of 80
    For those that think the jews ooops I mean Israel is the problem ...

The 36-Year War

There will be no peace until the Arabs accept Israel.

BY MICHAEL B. OREN

Saturday, June 14, 2003 12:01 a.m. EDT

Few people in June 1967 would have imagined that 36 years later, controversy would still engulf the territories won by Israel in the Six Day War. Numerous peace plans have sought to resolve the status of the West Bank and Gaza, but without success. Now, on the anniversary of that war, George W. Bush is trying again.

In Aqaba last week, the president urged the Israeli and Palestinian prime ministers to put aside "humiliation, killing and mourning," and to follow his "road map" to peace. Mr. Bush has placed his prestige behind the initiative, though presidents have done so previously and failed. Ultimately, his success will depend not only on his commitment to the process, but on his determination to face the core issues of the Arab-Israeli conflict. These are the issues that triggered the 1967 war, and which have pitted Palestinians against Israelis ever since.

Over the years, Israel's attitude toward the Palestinians has transformed radically. Less than a decade after Labor Prime Minister Golda Meir declared "there is no Palestine," hard-liner Menachem Begin signed the 1979 Camp David Accords recognizing the Palestinians' right to political autonomy. Then, in the Oslo Agreements of 1993, Yitzhak Rabin acknowledged the existence of a Palestinian people and its just demand for self-determination--a commitment upheld by Rabin's Likud successor, Benjamin Netanyahu. Israelis were also busy settling the territories during this period, but in 2000 Ehud Barak offered to uproot or concentrate the settlements, even to redivide Jerusalem, to accommodate Palestinian sovereignty. Finally, at Aqaba, Ariel Sharon, the former architect of the settlement movement, vowed to help create a territorially-contiguous Palestinian state to "live side by side with Israel in peace and security."

Yet would the establishment of that state guarantee a secure peace? Palestinian thinking on Israel also evolved after 1967. A year after the war, the Palestine Liberation Organization adopted its National Charter that denied the existence of a Jewish people and envisioned Israel's destruction through armed struggle. By 1974, however, the PLO enacted the "Phases Plan" calling for the creation of a state on any part of Palestine by any means, including diplomacy, as the first step toward regaining the entire country.

Although PLO Chairman Yasir Arafat later accepted U.N. Resolution 242 and, at Oslo, affirmed Israel's existence, in practice he never abandoned the goal of annihilating the Jewish state. To Arabic-speaking audiences, he justified Oslo as the first stage in the Phases Plan. The Palestinian media and educational system, meanwhile, rejected the idea of Israel even in its pre-1967 borders, and glorified acts of "martyrdom" against it. By insisting on returning millions of Palestinian refugees to Israel, Arafat aimed at turning it into Palestine in all but name.

Unlike the fundamental shifts in Israeli attitudes on the Palestinian issue, the changes in Palestinian policies regarding Israel were merely tactical. The Israeli government today accepts the fact that a Palestinian people exists, that it has suffered in the past and should now have a state. By contrast, the Palestinian leadership still refuses to recognize a permanent and legitimate Jewish state. In his Aqaba speech, Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas indeed cited the "suffering of the Jews throughout history," renounced terrorism and a "military solution for the conflict," but objected strongly to any mention of a Jewish people with historic ties to its homeland. The prime minister, however, represents only about 3% of the Palestinian public, and his pledges were instantly repudiated by Hamas, Islamic Jihad, and even Mr. Abbas's own al-Fatah faction, all of which claimed responsibility for the murder of six Israelis since the summit. Incitement in the Palestinian press and schools continues, meanwhile, undiminished.

In order for the road map to succeed, President Bush must confront the profound asymmetry between the Palestinian and Israeli concepts of peace. While he may press Mr. Sharon to fulfill his promised "painful concessions" for peace, and assure the Palestinians of statehood, the president must first insist that the Palestinians abandon their hope of overwhelming Israel by demographic or other means. The alternative is a Palestinian state that will not coexist peacefully with Israel, but will persistently strive to supplant it.

The Six Day War resulted from many factors, including disputes over borders and waterways. But the most basic factor was the Arabs' refusal to accept a Jewish state, and their readiness to wage war to destroy it. Israel's peace treaties with Egypt and Jordan were achieved precisely by addressing the root cause of Arab rejection. While Palestinian tactics have become more flexible, Palestinian goals remain unaltered since 1967. If President Bush succeeds in changing those goals, the road map may indeed lead to the mutual recognition, renunciation of force, and foreswearing of all future claims, which form the only basis for durable peace. Failure to do so, however, will only create conditions for yet another Middle East war.

Mr. Oren, senior fellow at the Shalem Center in Jerusalem, is the author of "Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East" (Presidio Books, 2003).
  • Reply 44 of 80
    Quote:

Typical Jewish arrogance / pride

that sounds like a racist piece of crap. You're formally invited to say that, or any other stereotypical, racist bull sh*t about any nationality to my face. [I'm not kidding, that's a serious offer]; I.C.U. when you get here.

there were "nasty protests" on both sides - not just Israeli. Despite which factions you want to blame in either party - the whole thing is sad - I have sympathy for Israelis and Palestinians both, unlike you - [omitted out of a herculean attempt of decency].
  • Reply 45 of 80
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Typical Jewish arrogance / pride.

whooooooooooshhhhhh...the sound of the vacuum of responses from our learned liberal collegues, always ready to condem. Oh wait, he only made an overtly racist remark about jews, no problem for them here.

I think that quote alone speaks volumes about where the real arguments from that side of the fence are coming from.

And Moogs: You attempt to completely blame the derailing of the peace plan on the jews, while at best your argument is that a small percentage of them feel about Palestinians the way most arab states feel about Israel. So, many millions of Arabs reject cooperation with Israel on any subject, the PA basically refuses anything more than lip-service, Al-Aqsa, Hamas, and Jihad Islami blow up a bus and that's all ok, a few jews protest when their PM agrees to a road map recoqnising the need for a Palestinian state, and Israel responds to recent attacks to take out leaders of those responsible, and it is again Israel in the wrong.

My guess is that you solution for the problem would be a familiar Final Solution.
  • Reply 46 of 80
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Ultimately it all boils down to this.

Israel has an democratically elected Government that represents the voice of the people.

Palestine has a quasi-elected leadership striving towards some semblance of democracy.

In consequence, Palestinians have a profound choice to make. ( no one else can make it for them )

Either they go with

Their Prime minister, democracy & the Ballot

Or

The Fundamentalism, terrorists & the Gun.

The choice is as stark as is the reality.

You pick which one has any real future in the world ?
  • Reply 47 of 80
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

No criticism for them? Of their goals and tactics. Their constant rejection of peace and support of terror. Nothing to say about that?

Nope! BLAME THE JEWS! Why do you hate them?

I don't blame jews. I have jewish family you moron. I blame the government of Israel.

I blame Hamas as well.

I blame a lot of others to. But I don't have to list them all.
  • Reply 48 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

So why don't you just come straight out and say you support the Palestinaian terrorist organisations..

& say that they're perfectly justified in killing civilians ?

My stance is that both sides target civilians. Yours is not.

Statistics show that the palestinians have more civilian casualties. Why is this so hard for you to admit?
  • Reply 49 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I don't blame jews. I have jewish family you moron. I blame the government of Israel.

I blame Hamas as well.

I blame a lot of others to. But I don't have to list them all.

What do you blame Hamas for? You seem to be mute when it comes to arab muslim terror against the jews ooops I mean Israel.
  • Reply 50 of 80
    Look at this bias cartoon.

"Arabs" and "Jews"

Shouldn't it read

"Muslims" and "Jews"

or

"Arabs" and "Israelis"

• Reply 51 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

My stance is that both sides target civilians. Yours is not.

Statistics show that the palestinians have more civilian casualties. Why is this so hard for you to admit?

Geez I think you've been watching too many of those old goodies & badies movies of WW2 where all the fighters ( Nazi's Vs GI-Joes ) are dressed in military fatigues.

Gee haven't you ever seen combatants dressed in Civvy's ?

Maybe if an army invaded Oslo wearing Burmuda shorts & hawian shirts, you wouldn't shoot at them coz they'd be to easily confused with other civilian targets ?

Get real New !

Wars haven't been fought like that for a long time.

The point of your own source stressed that these deaths amongst " civilians " may have occured while said " civilians " were engaging in terrorist activities..infringing / violating other people rights..ie other peoples right right to continue living..

Dodge & weave as much as you like...

You still haven't adressed a single objection I have raised..

But that's OK..

Doctors have a name for your condition..

It's called Myopia.
  • Reply 52 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by aquafire

Geez I think you've been watching too many of those old goodies & badies movies of WW2 where all the fighters ( Nazi's Vs GI-Joes ) are dressed in military fatigues.

Gee haven't you ever seen combatants dressed in Civvy's ?

Maybe if an army invaded Oslo wearing Burmuda shorts & hawian shirts, you wouldn't shoot at them coz they'd be to easily confused with other civilian targets ?

Sixty Seven minors were age 17, Sixty Seven were age 16, Fifty Three were age 15, Fifty Two were age 14, Forty Five were age 13, Eighteen were age 12, Fourteen were age 11, Twelve were age 10, Six were age 9, Twelve were age 8, Four were age 7, Five were age 6, Three were age 5, Four were age 4, Five were age 3, Four were two years old, Four were One year old babies, One was a 6 month old baby girl and One was a four month old baby girl.

Close to four times as many childern under the age of 18 killed compared to militants.
  • Reply 53 of 80
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    New

i would guess those stats have a lot more with terrorists hiding amongst civilians and not in uniform than anything else.

if someone is trying to shoot me and i hide behind a child, who's fault is it when the kid gets shot?

as for the quotes, if the worst you can compare to loading up with shrapnel, getting on a bus full of civilians and blowing yourself up is this quote

Quote:

In some of the cases, particularly during the past year, Israelis fired at Palestinians when the lives of the Israelis were in jeopardy, such as when armed Palestinians entered areas belonging to settlements. However, there were also instances in which shooting by Israelis was not an act of self-defense. For example, at times Israelis chased stone throwers and fired at them to ?punish? them. Responding in this manner flagrantly violates the penal law and the rules pertaining to self-defense.

HUH? how in the world are those at all comparable? yeah, they shoot at people running away after throwing rocks at their heads. Boo frickin' Hoo. if you're ****ing stupid enough to throw rocks at someone with an Uzi.... guess what, you just might get shot.

that is completely different than getting on a bus to go to work and someone detonates themselves to kill as many civilians as possible. if you can't see that you're blind.
  • Reply 54 of 80
    New still can't bring himself to directly criticize Hamas, IJ, PA and the rest. Can post paragraph after paragraph about how the Israelis have failed and yet has nothing to say about the terrorist groups.
  • Reply 55 of 80
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

New still can't bring himself to directly criticize Hamas, IJ, PA and the rest. Can post paragraph after paragraph about how the Israelis have failed and yet has nothing to say about the terrorist groups.

Like I said, his biggest problem is Myopia...
  • Reply 56 of 80
    Here's another example of Israel's real intentions.

Israeli policemen on Sunday dragged away Israelis who tried to stop the evacuation of a West Bank outpost.

Do I have to ask what Hamas will do next?
  • Reply 57 of 80
    Quote:

Do I have to ask what Hamas will do next?

blow up a terrorist about to attack another civilian target?
  • Reply 58 of 80
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

Sixty Seven minors were age 17, Sixty Seven were age 16, Fifty Three were age 15, Fifty Two were age 14, Forty Five were age 13, Eighteen were age 12, Fourteen were age 11, Twelve were age 10, Six were age 9, Twelve were age 8, Four were age 7, Five were age 6, Three were age 5, Four were age 4, Five were age 3, Four were two years old, Four were One year old babies, One was a 6 month old baby girl and One was a four month old baby girl.

Close to four times as many childern under the age of 18 killed compared to militants.

Great stats. Essentially useless, but great anyway. I guess you have never seen the photo's of Palestian children taking part in the activities that put them directly in harms way. It is common practice with the Palestinian militant groups to train and use minors, especially because it then gives great photo ops showing children hurt and killed. Though you don't see as many such photos showing the children holding rifles and throwing molotovs, mainly because Arafat and the PA decided those photos don't present the image they want to the world. They now actively prevent such photos from being taken and the press seems to go right along with it.
  • Reply 59 of 80
    Wish I could find that photograph of the Palestinian baby all dressed up with headband, gunbelts and handgrenades.

I think it was found by an Israeli patrol in Jenin.

Does anyone remember it..?

Talk about indoctrinating hatred into every palestinian.

Mind you, New & others will no doubt say it was cooked up by the Israeli " Terrorists "
  • Reply 60 of 80
    some text/images that illustrate this point.

Quote:

This Picture was taken near the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, on Friday, April 6, 2001, by Evelyn Hockstein, a Reuters photographer.

A Palestinian child was caught by Israeli policemen, and, in his fear - he wet his pants.

Undoubtedly, this picture is very moving, and everyone can share the pain and panic of the child, that led to such an embarrassing moment. The Palestinians, who truly understand the power of the image, spread this picture worldwide, through the media and e-mails, but - they did not show the other picture.

A few minutes before the above picture was taken, another Reuters photographer, Natalie Behring, had taken the following picture -- which was not as widely distributed

(please notice the child in the center of the pic):