eWeek article on Smeagol and Q37

Comments

• Reply 261 of 401
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Quote:

my brain hurts.

My pips are coming out... \

19 inch eMac? With eTruck to carry them about?

Scritch. (Scratches pithy head...wait...I can't. Lemons have no arms...)

Er.

Errrr. ERRRRRRRRRR.

In time for the edu' buying season?

But that list shows Apple have low stocks of everything bar iBooks and iPods?!!?

What dey gonna do? Update everything again? Like they did in Jan'?

This is getting strange...

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 262 of 401
    [QUOTE]Lemon Bon Bon,

I stated my full support of eWEEK's report, but it's important that you examine specifically what the article says, as well as what it does not say.

Release Schedule: eWEEK's report does not provide any sort of confirmation of what release schedule Apple plans for Q37, other than the general assertion that Apple is nearing the release. However, the article provides some limited direction, reporting that Apple's current plans with Smeagol suggest that Q37 may ship by August. While eWEEK says that Apple will first discuss the PowerPC 970 at WWDC, it provides no further specifics as to when the Q37 hardware will be announced, or as to when it will ship.

Operating System: eWEEK states that Panther will ship in September. It will include 64-bit support, but equally important, it will be built with an updated compiler that includes 970-specific support, including scheduling capabilities for the new chip. Apple plans to provide Smeagol to "hold over" users until Panther ships, but due to lack of compiler support, including lack of scheduling, some of Smeagol's OS performance gains will be limited, as compared to the optimized Panther release. However, the OS will still run at least as fast as on a comparable G4, and Smeagol will still be able to take advantage of some of the chip's new features.

-Nick

QUOTE]

Now you put it like THAAAT, you are (COUGH), I mean the eWeek article is starting to make alooooot more sense.

Now I get it (!)

Thankyou, Nick. (Doffs cap...)

Lemon Bon Bon 8)
  • Reply 263 of 401
    shaktaishaktai Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

This is getting strange...

Lemon Bon Bon

Hey, its a rumor thread, what did you expect? Actually, the Powerbook 17" is still listed as available at FNAC. Only the 12" and 15" are temporarily unavailable. So we get an AI 15" that is essentially the same as the current TI model and speedbumped 12". Not so unusual.

MacBidouille also was quick to state, the source of the 19" eMac statement is of unknown reliability.

The interesting tidbit is that all the PowerMacs are listed as no longer available on their website. Apparently a few actual retail stores have some, but not many. It would appear that supply is very low. So what if Apple had planned to have new PowerMacs at WWDC, but do to software issues have been behind schedule on getting out a version of Jaguar that will run to "Steve's" standards. I propose that S.J. fully understands the importance of a good first impression, and that he will not let the 970's be released, unless there is a reasonable working OS with no major glitches.

My head hurts too, but I think it is because of caffeine withdrawals. I haven't had my daily quota.
  • Reply 264 of 401
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick dePlume

I stated my full support of eWEEK's report, but it's important that you examine specifically what the article says, as well as what it does not say.

Nick: Thank you for (further) clarifying the (already clear) eWEEK article from June 9. What is the chance that you, Think Secret, and/or eWEEK will fill in the parts that the article misses before Steve Jobs' WWDC keynote on June 23?

Escher
  • Reply 265 of 401
    Must kill Moe...doo-dee-doo...must kill Moki? Doo-dee-doo-dee-do....

(Just kidding Moki. One of my favourite Simpsons episodes just came to mind...)

Sorry. That's me for the evening. I need sleep.

Lemon Bon Bon (Over and Out.)
  • Reply 266 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by moki

She's so heavy

What's with all the "heavy?" Something to do with iron?
  • Reply 267 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

'Big' maybe?
  • Reply 268 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by - J B 7 2 -

<Doc>There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?</Doc>
  • Reply 269 of 401
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    As many before me have stated...my head hurts. just read the MR rumor round up.

too many rumors...all this supposed insider info...old threads from months past which now seem legit...ah..

who to believe....who really knows?
  • Reply 270 of 401
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    19" eMac. Not gonna happen.

The absolute last thing the eMac needs is a larger, heavier CRT, especially when that means redesigning the case. Moron consumers and lead footed EDU types are still gonna run it at 1024x768 anyway.

All the eMac needs is increasingly better internals and increasingly lower prices. The thing is paid for R&D wise, changing the case now (or ever) would be really dumb. Just make it faster and cheaper.
  • Reply 271 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by artcat

60s heavy was more like "serious" than cool (I was there), though I never knew exactly what the Beatles meant in that song.

OT: A better translation for "heavy" might be "profound" rather than serious but I think Moki refers to weight not philosophy.

Unless he is making an obtuse reference to "big iron"? Maybe he's suggesting Apple will announce a Mainframe computer?
  • Reply 272 of 401
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ensign Pulver

19" eMac. Not gonna happen.

The absolute last thing the eMac needs is a larger, heavier CRT, especially when that means redesigning the case. Moron consumers and lead footed EDU types are still gonna run it at 1024x768 anyway.

Well MacBidouille was careful to say that information was from an unproven source. As always take it with a grain of salt. If the bottom end unit is EOL, then this may just be a new speed-bumped unit, with all the models moving down the price chain accordingly. As I think somebody already mentioned, the current 17" eMac already ships in one of the largest boxes as is. The box rumors indicate that some boxes are about the size of the Powerbook 15" boxes, and the other boxes are just described as large. Maybe it is just another speed-bumped eMac. Maybe it is none of that at all.

For all we know, the large boxes could be cases of talking S.J. dolls complete with RDF enhancements.
  • Reply 273 of 401
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

i bet you we will see new machines this summer, for the education factor alone. Schools and students cant wait till september to buy new machines. Apple isn't dumb they know this. And i'm talking computer art schools that arent buying emacs and ibooks.

Take a little history lesson, Apple nearly always releases new kit after these people have made their buying decisions, ie end of August/middle of September.

And for those of you who want more history, it's really quite uncommon for Apple to release new product or even updates in the run up to Christmas (because MWSF is in January).
  • Reply 274 of 401
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

And for those of you who want more history, it's really quite uncommon for Apple to release new product or even updates in the run up to Christmas (because MWSF is in January).

no it isn't
  • Reply 275 of 401
    commoduscommodus Posts: 270member
    I just don't buy the 19" eMac claim. The eMac was updated far too recently, and it's the desktop system least-suited to an increased display size. Part of why the G4 iMac uses an LCD on an arm is that it lets Apple change the size of the display almost at will without having to revamp the rest of the design to accommodate the new display size. The eMac would need a new case - and when it's already 50 pounds' weight in a 17" model, who's going to want to have a 19" behemoth?

Assuming the large boxes from Apple are real at all, they're more likely to be PowerMacs. The iMac was updated too recently, and no Apple system besides the PowerMac (or any theoretical computer tower) would need that kind of a box.

That's assuming that there's only one device/system inside the box, of course.
  • Reply 276 of 401
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

<Doc>There's that word again; "heavy". Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?</Doc>

Yes, its been warped by Steves RDF.
  • Reply 277 of 401
    artcatartcat Posts: 19member
    Quote:

OT: A better translation for "heavy" might be "profound" rather than serious

profound is good too, but serious is also correct. depends on context.
  • Reply 278 of 401
    Quote:

Unless of course there really is a 19" eMac then heavy would just mean "Heavy". (I could almost get a hernia just thinking about it.)

I am not convinced about the 19" eMac though, just reporting the rumor. Since we have no idea of actual box dimensions, there is no way of knowing what someone else calls "large", as it is a very relative term. In addition, if MacBidouille is wary of the source, then all the more reason for us to be as well, without corroboration.
  • Reply 279 of 401
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Back on page 6, in response to being bigger than a bread box, moki stated, "Yep. Time to start hittin' the weight room." So heavy likely means it weighs more. Maybe the big X-station rumor is true.
  • Reply 280 of 401
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Maybe we should continue with that line of questioning!

Moki, WWDC: animal, vegetable or mineral? We know there's an animal involved at least...