June 23rd: special event in Berlin for 970 Powermacs

Comments

• Reply 101 of 126
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by salty chips

Back to topic....

I don't think the 970 will be anounced at WWDC or on any event near june 23th.

Thinksecret writes: . . . Apple is set to finalize P58C in the next week or so, and will then quietly begin shipping the updated models to the retail channel. On the outside, P58C will probably be indistinguishable from the current Power Mac, aside from a new product number. . ."

If true, the reason for this minor tweak to the PowerMac isn't obvious to me. One possibility is a firmware upgrade for Panther, and Apple is simply including it as soon as it is ready. Those who buy some of the last G4 PowerMacs will have less to complain about. Those who bought earlier will have to update their firmware for Panther. But that is only one possibility.

I don't think we can draw a conclusion about when the 970 PowerMacs will be introduced from this Thinksecret article. Introduction could still be at WWDC, with shipment immediately or within 30 days. Since Steve is not doing a keynote at Macworld in July, Apple will likely not introduce it then. So we are left with WWDC or a special event in the August / September time frame. We take our pick.
  • Reply 102 of 126
    wfzellewfzelle Posts: 137member
    Quote:

Originally posted by lundy

Not demented, just mistaken.

I was at the WWDC last year, and there was no webcast.

I had to type the play-by-play over the auditorium's Airport network onto DSLR's Mac forum for my friends. MacCentral and other sites do the same in real-time.

I guess that is why I still remember it. Anyway, here is my chant:

I want a webcast! I want a webcast!

I want a webcast! I want a webcast!
  • Reply 103 of 126
    jccbinjccbin Posts: 476member
    I do believe the 2000 WWDC keynote was broadcast via satellite/TechTV. Not sure about QuickTIme. I was there.

Apple has been videoing entire WWDCs for a while now, so the presence of a camera crew is not definitive. (They sell the classes to developers on DVD and via streaming from the ADC site).
  • Reply 104 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by snoopy

If true, the reason for this minor tweak to the PowerMac isn't obvious to me. One possibility is a firmware upgrade for Panther, and Apple is simply including it as soon as it is ready. Those who buy some of the last G4 PowerMacs will have less to complain about. Those who bought earlier will have to update their firmware for Panther. But that is only one possibility.

I don't think we can draw a conclusion about when the 970 PowerMacs will be introduced from this Thinksecret article. Introduction could still be at WWDC, with shipment immediately or within 30 days. Since Steve is not doing a keynote at Macworld in July, Apple will likely not introduce it then. So we are left with WWDC or a special event in the August / September time frame. We take our pick.

According to the author of the report (Nick dePlume) there is no reason to think this update has anything to do with the PPC970's impending release.

Quote:

Our report is accurate, but don't read too much into this -- the 970 is still on track, and there's little connection between it and P58C, other than that this could be the last Power Mac update before the 970. If you're waiting for the 970 and you think this is a good thing, you're probably right.

It's worth reiterating that P58C is a minor, invisible, technical update. It will not revert to the QuickSilver casing (that's simply an illustrative picture). It won't contain the 970. While we're told that some updates are related to Panther, that certainly doesn't mean that pre-May Power Macs won't support 10.3.

Finally, Think Secret isn't hard up for 970 info, but there are several points we're still confirming. We'd like to provide as full a picture we can with our first report, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me.

-Nick

• Reply 105 of 126
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hegor

Ok heres the deal. I'll hang outside Apple HQ in Cupertino and jack some techie looking guy as he leaves Steve's secret dungeon on furlough. God knows the poor sap will be blinded by the sun anyway, probably be all couped up in Steve-O's skunk works and such. I'll beat some answers out of him. We'll find out how the 970 thing is going to go down. How does that sound? Just remember, you'd be owing me a favor.

Excellent! You bring the muscle, I'll bring the alcohol and hard drugs. After you beat the sh!t outta him, I'll get him loaded 'til he develops a bad case of verbal diarrhea.

We'll get him talking until he's unleashed everything from exact PPC 970 tower specs to repressed childhood memories. By the time we're done with him, he'll tell us how many times his dad sodomized him as a child.
  • Reply 106 of 126
    inseaderinseader Posts: 12member
    In light of today's info, maybe that thread wasn't so dumb after all.8)
  • Reply 107 of 126
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    what new info?
  • Reply 108 of 126
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

what new info?

I think he means yesterday's news from macbidouille. See here. It says that Apple Europe will invite press VIPs and resellers in Berlin to assist in direct retransmission of the WWDC keynote.
  • Reply 109 of 126
    thanks.

C-O-N-F-I-R-M.........

• Reply 110 of 126
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Me and my whole staff are booking reservations for Berlin right now! Or is that just booking....
  • Reply 111 of 126
    marcusmarcus Posts: 227member
    A guy in the Powerbook forum has just posted a message saying that he has been invited to the German event on the 23rd.

He has noted that it is being quoted as a 'Panther Launch', but that Panther will not be the only announcement...

He has promised to keep everyone informed.

Link here:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...25#post1445025
  • Reply 113 of 126
    The translation on Macrumors hides the most exciting sentence:

"Es erwarten Sie Neuigkeiten, die alle ihre bisherigen Erwartungen an Geschwindigkeit übertreffen werden" (emphasis added)

That reads: "Awaiting you are announcements that will exceed all your previous expectations about speed."

Interesting.

[edit: corrected punctuation]
  • Reply 114 of 126
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jawbreaker

The translation on Macrumors hides the most exciting sentence:

"Es erwarten Sie Neuigkeiten, die alle ihre bisherigen Erwartungen an Geschwindigkeit übertreffen werden" (emphasis added)

That reads: "Awaiting you are announcements that will exceed all your previous expectations about speed."

Interesting.

[edit: corrected punctuation]

Caution.

If you proceed with this the thread will be locked.

You can only post personal views and pointless opinions.

I was afraid the invitation would say " 3 to 5 times" more speed...
  • Reply 115 of 126
    mac-tv.de will have a live audio stream.
  • Reply 116 of 126
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    3 to 5 times faster. Sweet sweet jesus. I'm not sure that that is even possible though. We shall see.
  • Reply 117 of 126
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Clive

He is a good footballer.

He is a bad sport.

He is a bad guitarist.

Your English is pretty good.

Your English usage is poor.

Your English is fairly bad.

Oxford examples of use: ... "was badly defeated".[/B]

The passive voice? tsk, tsk.
  • Reply 118 of 126
    jawbreaker,

which words on which link says the part about "speed"?

thanks
  • Reply 119 of 126

Explore Apples future with us

Apple Germany invites you to a breathtaking event in the heard of Europe.

See Steve Jobs to kick off WWDC via satellite broadcast.

For Audio, Video, Publishing and Media pros this will get an unforgetable event. Expect news to surpas your previous expectation you had in speed.

Be prepared for a new computer era on 6/23/2003, Adlon Palais Hotel...

Not sue if this is real.
  • Reply 120 of 126
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    2.5GHz 970?