Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 1021 of 1072
    redericrederic Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by boba fett

https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebOb...tionID=1978437

coincidence?

Old hat sorry, already posted in loads of places.
  • Reply 1022 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    What happened to "Options, we like options."

only one chip 970 is great but picking one from one doesn't really give you a lot of options.

Will monday tell us?

Ominous organ sound: Doo dooo dooo......
  • Reply 1023 of 1072
    less than 24 hours, people. we're almost there.
  • Reply 1024 of 1072
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

So I was smokin' some crack last night and it got me thinking. Could the W stand for WHICH? If there are reports from German of two different towers- one that's white (ala imac/ibook) and the other (grey/metal? I forget what it was).... could one be a consumer tower and the other be a pro workstation? And then I was thinking........ would Apple still use the Motorola G5? They could use it in the consumer tower. And use the IBM 970 in the pro workstation tower. So possibly the leaked specs are only for the consumer G5 tower. And Smeagal could be the code name hinting that it works on the both towers.. the two towers (LOTR). \

There is no Motorola G5, the project failed and was aborted. Even the 7457 rm has aborted, and the regular 7457 is not avalaible.

The PPC 970 is supposed to be cheaper than the 7455 : there is no more reason for Apple to use the G4, but more reasons to go to an all PPC 970 (except may be for the I book, but more for marketings reasons than technical ones).
  • Reply 1025 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

What happened to "Options, we like options."

only one chip 970 is great but picking one from one doesn't really give you a lot of options.

Will monday tell us?

Ominous organ sound: Doo dooo dooo......

Perhaps each 970 will be available with different fruity flavoured coating. Apple will externally mount the chip and regular licking has been incorporated as part of the new cooling system.
  • Reply 1026 of 1072
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

Originally posted by futuremac

i called the applestore twice and got some british? sounding salesmen who told me that there is no such thing as a "g5" and refused to belive that this had ever happened at the online us apple store. he said "we dont belive that happened, the rumor sites are wrong"

one guy even gave me his "euro.apple.com" email address to send him a pic of the image. since he didn't belive me i didn't send it, i figure he'll find out soon enough...

(the british accent is so cool!)

does apple normally outsource their phone sales dept to britan?

British accent? Probably someone in Bangalore.
  • Reply 1027 of 1072
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    The Spec's of the G5 sound excellent. Better than I expected (dual 1.6 or pehaps 1.8 and the hope of a single 2.Ghz). Is the FSB really 1.GHz?

How does the FSB comapre to a crossbar as per highend workgroup+ servers?

Dobby.
  • Reply 1028 of 1072
    gr33ngr33n Posts: 4member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

bullets and dashes sometimes become question marks when copying and pasting text. this has happened for years.

makes me wonder ... we're talking about 1ghz buses and 2ghz cpus etc & etc ... yet this computer industry can't fix such a small stupid bug ...

:

but it's/its been fun ... spent all sunday reading this thread ... and it is already MONDAY here ...

:

and - WOW ...
  • Reply 1029 of 1072
    olli_golli_g Posts: 64member
    Yeah it's Monday here too!

I was sitting in the garden all afternoon reading these 26 pages on my PB w/ AE. And got a nice tan, too

18 hours and 22 minutes to go.

Holy shit.
  • Reply 1030 of 1072
    AAAHHHHH...everyone stop posting, I'm on page 21 and I can't catch up!!! (Just Kidding)

Now it is time for Jobs to give Peter Jackson a call and superimpose his face onto that of Gandalfs for the next big Apple commercial with the simple and succinct scene....

[From a brilliant backlight...]

"I come to you now...at the turn of the tide."

[Fade to black....glowing Apple logo...]
  • Reply 1031 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.

Could someone translate the French in the movie titled "Pomme"?

(I know what pomme means, I mean the spoken french at the beginning and end of the clip)
  • Reply 1032 of 1072
    Maybe moki's "W" is for WMD.
  • Reply 1033 of 1072
    boy_analogboy_analog Posts: 315member
    W = Whitegoods

That's right. Apple wanted a 5GHz 970, but the only way to do this on the current process was to attach an industrial-strength refrigeration unit. So the new top of the line workstations are about 5 feet tall and have an ice-cube dispenser. Sure it's no longer a "desktop", but it'll bitch-slap your buddy's Dell and keep your cola iceee cold. What more could you want?

• Reply 1034 of 1072
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    w=wizard

the new PM G5 will be the official computer of Harry Potter...that should sell a few kabillion and get apple back on top of the education market

or

w=woz

woz himself will hand deliever each and every PM G5 sold...talk about "heavy"

wheels of zeus = woz rides a segway to deliver your pm

g
  • Reply 1035 of 1072
    fatmac84fatmac84 Posts: 67member
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Frogs have posted benchmarks for the new 970's!!!!

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcon...ate=2003-05-05

Complete with english translations.

The Pentium snail will return!!
  • Reply 1036 of 1072
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fatmac84

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the Frogs have posted benchmarks for the new 970's!!!!

That's old news and lots of people doubt the results. Anyway, we will see tomorrow morning
  • Reply 1037 of 1072
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SpcMs

I'm not sure if it has been posted before (well, it is at future hardware, but no one seems to go over there anymore) but this concept site is wicked cool. Some sort of student project (not all videos work). At least there is some originality.

Wicked indeed. Whaaaa. The best I've seen thus far. My favorite
  • Reply 1038 of 1072
    FYI: Smalldog electronics only has 30 powermac G4 in stock. The other 21 (of 27) SKUs are listed at 7-10 days... (Apple store still showing same day delivery though)
  • Reply 1039 of 1072
    Quote:

Originally posted by ebolazaire

FYI: Smalldog electronics only has 30 powermac G4 in stock. The other 21 (of 27) SKUs are listed at 7-10 days... (Apple store still showing same day delivery though)

AS clarification b4 I get creamed... 27 SKU's. 4 are in stock with 30 total units. 26 SKU's are out of stock. (Normally they have hundreds total in stock)

• Reply 1040 of 1072
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fatmac84

Wow, those are some amazing numbers. Tho, I don't see how they had access to all 3 units. Also, they mention a dual 1.8ghz, according the Apple's leak, the 1.8ghz was a single.