Apple leaks G5 specs

Comments

• Reply 961 of 1072
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Better yet... why was anyone shopping for a powermac right about now anyway?

Heheh, I wonder what the apple phone reps think when taking orders for G4s monday morning before the keynote?

Why don't you call them up and ask?

Interestingly enough, the Apple online store still says the Power Mac G4s are available "same day" shipping. We know (or are fairly confident) that Apple will come out with new Power Macs Monday. Likewise, the online Apple Store also lists the PowerBook G4 15-inch Ti at "same day" shipping. Could we infer that the PowerBook may be updated too?

I think the leak was accidental. I mean they updated all of the store "buttons" when it happened. If it was intentional, don't you think we could have seen something else "teased" by now. Perhaps Apple might want to do something like this = take advantage of the opportunity. Keep your eyes peeled.
  • Reply 962 of 1072
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

I'm sure they were just seeing what the shipping times were. You know, so they can run to a board like this and say "OMG towers just went to 10 days to ship!!!"
  • Reply 963 of 1072
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You know, there will be some poor bastard who simply doesn't follow things calling up Apple Monday morning (after saving for half a year for a top-end 1.42DP tower) and happily placing his order.

Bless his heart.

They'll find him in a seedy motel off the Interstate, lying in a tub with his wrists slit...
  • Reply 964 of 1072
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    doesn't apple have a 10- day return policy now..

he might take a small hit maybe.

now the por sod who purchased 11 days ago....
  • Reply 965 of 1072
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

I think the leak was accidental. I mean they updated all of the store "buttons" when it happened. If it was intentional, don't you think we could have seen something else "teased" by now. Perhaps Apple might want to do something like this = take advantage of the opportunity. Keep your eyes peeled.

I've heard that it was accidental and that two people have been fired so far over the incident. (Said on one of the Mac mailings lists, for those who subscribe to the same one I do).

So, I have no reason to say it was anything besides an accident.

What bugs me about it, however, is the fact that only ONE image slipped out. If this was a mockup for the final page, how did only one graphic. One would think that in a page mockup, the three main images would all be in the same place.

Of course, if for whatever reason, perhaps that one image is the only one that matched the same name on the current page. The title graphic has "g4" in the name, but the product display doesn't.

In the end, I guess, not really wanting to take advantage of those under me, but if Apple is looking, I'm unemployed at the time, I'll gladly handle those images correctly for Apple next time.

theFly

www.flyonthemac.com

Rumors You Can Bet On
  • Reply 966 of 1072
    hey man....how do u sign for the mac mailings? and whats the best one to get info about this damn crazy WWDC? thx
  • Reply 967 of 1072
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TheFly

The title graphic has "g4" in the name, but the product display doesn't.

the specs and the title are two separate images.
  • Reply 968 of 1072
    theflythefly Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jessefoxperry

hey man....how do u sign for the mac mailings? and whats the best one to get info about this damn crazy WWDC? thx

Well, the only one I'm on is Think Secret's Infinity Loop List. You can get info about subscribing to it here.

But I don't find it to be a "great" source of rumors, just a rehash of what's on the boards with some discussion on it.

theFly
  • Reply 969 of 1072
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    It was a gif image of typeface. A photo of the actual computer would mostly likely be a jpeg image. Each page contains many components which are separate.

Whatever the "mistake" was, it has not been refuted by Apple so it was accurate (but not necessarily complete however).

More info should pop up on Sunday night when a site like MacRumors has had a great track record of devulging new info the night before a keynote.
  • Reply 970 of 1072
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What if Monday is BETTER?!?

I really hope you're right.

Of course I always see the cup half empty, so a part of me thinks this still could be part of a cruel joke. I'd hate for so many of us to be let down as we have been in the past. Expecting so much, only to be disappointed.

If these spec don't pan out, I wonder how many of us faithful followers will begin to question staying on board.
  • Reply 971 of 1072
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    hehe

Satchmo's post was #970 . . .

WHAT COULD IT MEAN???

Oh, sorry.

I ruined it.
  • Reply 972 of 1072
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    We going for 1000 posts in this thread?

I'm sure that's gotta be a record.
  • Reply 973 of 1072
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

To review, folks: increases in clock speed generally come as a result of changes in one of two areas: the design, or the fabrication process. Now the 970 design is pretty much set - even if they had a better design (970+?) coming down the road, it would make sense to start fabbing the 970 as is and let the higher speeds come later. This leaves the fabrication process. In order to hit 2.5 GHz, IBM would have had to have made a 33% improvement in their fabrication process - and not told anybody. This doesn't seem reasonable; there are other customers using East Fishkill, IBM wants to tout any advantages of their fab, and they're still looking for customers.

While hitting 2.0GHz from initial estimates of 1.8GHz is reasonable, some unknown improvement that lets them hit 2.5GHz is not. That won't come until a die shrink.

By your current reasoning there would be no such thing as speed bumps and you're actually pretty wrong here.

Even once you bring your fabrication process online you continue to refine and improve it. It's just a fact of life that you can't begin with the perfect process at launch. As a result what you tend to find is over time your yields of processors that are capable of running at higher speeds go up and quite often speeds that weren't viable for launch become viable down the line even without a generation upgrade of the process or a massive redesign of the chip.

I wouldn't count on 2.5 GHz at launch but I certainly wouldn't bet against say 2.4 GHz in Q4 on the 130 nm process either. If I were to randomly extrapolate I'd look for the 90 nm chips around Q2 next year with the successor to the current design coming lets say about 2005. Of course I would never extrapolate.
  • Reply 974 of 1072
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My, oh my, this thread move swiftly. Skimmed the last 4+ pages since yesterday...

W= "When." Mois is arguing, as he has many times before, that the 970's/GPuL are coming a little later, even the "fast" machine (as opposed to "faster" and "fastest" which have already been reported as coming later). The one quote from way back when that he took issue with said one machine shipping now and the other two models shipping in 2-3 weeks. Way too soon. We won't see them for at least 4 weeks. W = "When."

Don't forget that Apple pushed back WWDC at least officially because of Panther. I'm sure they were gunning for some news about hardware, at least behind closed doors, but, if we Apple's claim about moving WWDC at face value, then its timing has little to do with the 970s.

PS the record around here for most posts was either Mercury Rising or the original "What are you listening to?" thread. They had around 1600 before the UBB forum used then pooped out.
  • Reply 975 of 1072
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Hey Johnathan....what's the record for # of posts in a thread on Apple Insider? [edit: thanks buon rotto]

The potential for leaks is increasing as we grow closer to Monday, yet other than the Apple screw up and the Panther screencaps...we have not heard/seen anything significantly new...anyone...someone...somebody tide me over!!!
  • Reply 976 of 1072
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Of course I always see the cup half empty, so a part of me thinks this still could be part of a cruel joke. I'd hate for so many of us to be let down...

If these spec don't pan out...

In that unfortunate scenario, I predict lots of damage to the plumbing and lighting infrastructure at Moscone. And ample amounts of spilled blood and eye-gouging of any Apple higher-ups present, up to - and including - Mr. Jobs.

You know, general mayhem and lawlessness.

College-aged sports fans aren't the only people who can overturn cars, set stuff on fire and otherwise show their ass when things don't turn out the way they want.

You dangle a porkchop like this in front of us after all this time and you'd BETTER show us something. Hell, take a wastebasket and spraypaint "G5" on it if you must. But it had better look cool!

• Reply 977 of 1072
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Originally posted by erbium

We going for 1000 posts in this thread?

I'm sure that's gotta be a record.

obviously you weren't around for the thread about the teasers on apple's front page counting down to MWSF 02.

Although that is the only thread I've ever seen get to an even more obscene length even faster.
  • Reply 978 of 1072
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Flounder

obviously you weren't around for the thread about the teasers on apple's front page counting down to MWSF 02.

Although that is the only thread I've ever seen get to an even more obscene length even faster.

Yea, didn't that one hit the 30s?
  • Reply 979 of 1072
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Quote:

Heheh, I wonder what the apple phone reps think when taking orders for G4s monday morning before the keynote?

They don't think any differently; money is money.
  • Reply 980 of 1072
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I begin to imagine how upset you guys will be when this thing isn't announced on Monday.