iSight. opinions?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    Ordered one last night. My teenage daughter is going to Spain for the month of July and I figured what better way to communicate with her? I hooked up my digital video camera on my end and she can hook iSight to her iBook. Not cheap at $150 but it would cost me at least $100 to buy her an international phone card for voice calls alone. This was a no brainer.
  • Reply 42 of 86
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pesi

hmmm... yeah. all they seem to mention is the weight at 2.3 ounces.

but looking at the pics of it in sue with a computer, it seems to be no more than an inch in diameter and about three or four inches in length.

Smaller than an AA battery .
  • Reply 43 of 86
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    iChat AV is miles ahead of anything I have tried on any platform. Just got done VC'ing with the Apple support group in Germany. I helped them with the "time out" problem they were having with their camcorder. The solution? Take the tape out of the camera!

Great to give support to the Apple support team for Europe. They were thrilled.

The picture's great, even @ full screen. Sound works (unlike most other VC programs) This is the KILLER APP!
  • Reply 44 of 86
    scotioscotio Posts: 40member
    Can I ask a really silly question...

How does iChat A/V and the camera differ from other solutions such as a kritter cam with yahoo messenger??

It seems the same to me...perhaps save the sex appeal.

• Reply 45 of 86
    moazammoazam Posts: 136member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotio

How does iChat A/V and the camera differ from other solutions such as a kritter cam with yahoo messenger??

Other cameras are mostly USB based, and have bad quality optics. The iSight is Firewire based (faster), does 640x480, 24bit, 30fps, has better optics and light capture, and is smaller.

-M
  • Reply 46 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Just placed my order at the apple store... god I'm a sucker

It should arrive tomorrow, at which point, I'll post a lengthy review.
  • Reply 47 of 86
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Can you actually record with that little thing? If so, that's gotta be the coolest/most cost effective surveilance solution out there.
  • Reply 48 of 86
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Can you actually record with that little thing? If so, that's gotta be the coolest/most cost effective surveilance solution out there.

Cool? yes.

Cost effective? Muaaa haaa haaaa

You're joking right?

You can buy a quad camera setup inluding VCR for the same price. Cheap, low-quality surveilance equipment has exploded in the past 10 years. For a few hundered bucks, you can buy a color, 8 camera system. Typcially, wires are the most expensive component in the setups.

Yet... the iSight should prove quite capable. I can't wait to scare the crap out of my house mate. Ssh in from work and use apple script to say things about what's happening in the room. OMG, I just might fall out of my chair laughing.
  • Reply 49 of 86
    blizaineblizaine Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by scotio

Some how Apple has managed to do two things MUCH better than any other VC app on the Mac.

1) The video quality of iChat is unmatched with any other app. I had been using SquidCam for several months and I got used to seeing VERY poor quality video and VERY slow Frame rates. I figured it was the connection between us. It wasn't. With iChat the video is so clear and the frame-rate is updated VERY smoothly.

2) iChat is the first software solution I've seen that actually does echo cancellation, and does it well!

I give Apple a Standing-O for this great app, Panther, and the G5 (of course). Wow, the Keynote was fun to read yesterday.

I'm happy -
  • Reply 50 of 86
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    Just ordered mine. hoping for a Friday delivery *crosses fingers*
  • Reply 51 of 86
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Just placed my order at the apple store... god I'm a sucker

It should arrive tomorrow, at which point, I'll post a lengthy review.

Though I hope you get it tomorrow, don't hold your breath. I ordered mine as soon as the store was back up on Monday, and it hasn't shipped yet.

If I'm really lucky, I'll have it by COB on Friday.
  • Reply 52 of 86
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    I ordered mine an hour ago and it has just shipped.
  • Reply 53 of 86
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    An employee at The Grove yesterday said they'd have the iSight by today. I expect you can probably get them at any other Apple Store as well, if you don't want to wait for it to ship.
  • Reply 54 of 86
    Size and camera position matter, for $149...I think I might just buy one.
  • Reply 55 of 86
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by frawgz

An employee at The Grove yesterday said they'd have the iSight by today. I expect you can probably get them at any other Apple Store as well, if you don't want to wait for it to ship.

i was there today for an interview. they had a TON of them. they were flying out the door pretty fast though. i saw at least five-ten of them leave in the hour or so that i was there.
  • Reply 56 of 86
    mclmcl Posts: 11member
    Mine shipped today. However, I paid for expedited (2nd-day) shipping, but they shipped it FedEx Ground. I'm going to call them tomorrow and rip them a new one. It's little things like this that erode the customer base.
  • Reply 57 of 86
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I can get a USB 2.0 web cam for less than 20 bucks. Apple is doomed. I am getting a DELL

• Reply 58 of 86
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I've got one for the next few days at least and I'd say it needs work. It gets damned hot when turned on. And to add insult to injury, there's no real way to turn it off short of unplugging it. Turning the lens merely "video mutes" the sucker and closes the shutter.
  • Reply 59 of 86
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

now that would be cool...
  • Reply 60 of 86
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    You must install iChat AV for the iSight to work at all. The iSight does work with QuickTime Broadcaster, so that's a way to record video with it. It doesn't work with iMovie, AFAIK.