Secure p2p applications?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So in light of the RIAA's new method of "sue the crap out of everyone", are there any p2p protocols/programs out there that are harder to track that today's current model?

some way to encrypt the data from both machines, or a way to keep the actual machine/location anonymous while still being able to share files?

i don't actually use them much, but it just drives me nuts to see the RIAA stomping all over the place like a buch of buffoons and screwing over their userbase to such an extent.

i know i'd feel a hell of a lot better if the files that i had shared on my machine weren't easy to intercept or track back to their source in today's lawsuit happy world.

anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Well, and I've never done this, dcc through irc (iChat, etc) is a great way to pirate music and warez, apparently.

but I don't take thr RIAA seriously anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Freenet.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    Could SSL Enabler help? I use SSL Enabler to connect securely to an IRC server... I never really bothered to look into the specifics, I just remember the readme said it could help make anything secure.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    I find Direct Connect pretty secure.... I'd say to give it a try..

Download it here.

(I think that's the right URL.)

EDIT:: I fixed the URL. It's a Stuffit compressed DMG disk image.

Good luck! Feel free to contact me if you need help starting it up..
  • Reply 5 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I just searched "Kazaa for OS X" in Software on Kazaa (on a PC), and guess what comes up: "Kazaa for Mac OS X", and as Developer, it lists Apple! Can someone try it? (it's kind of a paradox)
  • Reply 6 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I just searched "Kazaa for OS X" in Software on Kazaa (on a PC), and guess what comes up: "Kazaa for Mac OS X", and as Developer, it lists Apple! Can someone try it? (it's kind of a paradox)

That can't be true... link us to that find...
  • Reply 7 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    How do I link you to a KazAa file?
  • Reply 8 of 33
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i'll look into the ssh angle. there has to be something where you can send/recieve files anonymously. i just find that with every passing day i hate the RIAA more. i hadn't known it was possible.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i dont think you can secure p2p networks unless the protocols have security measures themselves. that ssl thing seems like a ruse. if the protocol is expecting clear data, and receives encrypted data, most servers would just drop you. you would have to have something setup on both sides (i think). and unfortunately, p2p networks that make it easier to find what you want, make it easier for the riaa to find that same information.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    However, it might be a good idea to avoid the n°1 target of the RIAA these days: Kazaa. I have the impression that most, if not all, of the cases filed against innocent teens these days (by the RIAA) are because of Kazaa-related "abuse".
  • Reply 11 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

However, it might be a good idea to avoid the n°1 target of the RIAA these days: Kazaa. I have the impression that most, if not all, of the cases filed against innocent teens these days (by the RIAA) are because of Kazaa-related "abuse".

As I've said before.. KaZaA sux. There are safer methods of file-sharing... DC being one of them. ^_^
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

As I've said before.. KaZaA sux. There are safer methods of file-sharing... DC being one of them. ^_^

I agree on Kazaa, and I can understand that you're hard-pimping DC (I've enjoyed your hub very much, thank you), the issue is that DC, as Usenet (and Carracho, ...) for example, is more a question of offer than it is one of demand: you'll get what others have, not necessarily what you came looking for. If you're hard pressed to find whatever it is you're looking for, you'll have to resort to the Kazaa-Gnutella-Napster like networks of your choice. If you're casually walking around, hoping merely to get something good, though unsure as to what that good thing will be, DC, Usenet, Carracho are your thing. Personally, I'm most always to be found on one of the latter. Only one actually. Usenet. I love it.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    kazaa is god for selection...you simply can't beat it and i dont think there are any discrepencies about that (well perhaps about how i butchered that word)

DC is good...its kinda like a modern carraho is how i'd put it (wish it had user agreements, because although i'm not completely sure they do anything but i feel safer with them)
  • Reply 14 of 33
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/F...eSharing4.html

lmdonkey is pretty slick... run it as a daemon and then access it through your web browser (127.0.0.1:4080) kinda like cups. It REALLY needs more mac users, though. I'm trying to find a backup of a recent developer prerelease of a certain Unix-based mac os, and while it's there, I've yet to be able to obtain the backup.

(Fortunately, as an mac developer, I have the CD's that Apple distributed at WWDC 2003, but that back-up sure would be nice!)
  • Reply 15 of 33
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    If you like Kazaa, use it.

• Reply 16 of 33
    I forgot to mention BitTorrent. Now there's one p2p that will give you good karma, at least as much as is possible in an essentially thieving enterprise. Downloaded some certain large files recently at 280 kB a pop (yep, a full image in about 30 minutes). Hard to top that in the p2p realm.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

If you like Kazaa, use it.

I'd very much like to, but I have not been able to connect yet (despite your tips on how to make it work).
  • Reply 18 of 33
    Quote:

I forgot to mention BitTorrent. Now there's one p2p that will give you good karma, at least as much as is possible in an essentially thieving enterprise. Downloaded some certain large files recently at 280 kB a pop (yep, a full image in about 30 minutes). Hard to top that in the p2p realm.

Well with BT it all depends how many people are seeding the file and for how long. What it does is take all the bandwidth and combine it. Sort of like what the Gnetuella Network does.... I occasionally use BT to download anime.... but it's usually my last resort. I dislike it because no matter what it uploads to someone else. It's known as a swarming p2p app. I use it overnight because uploads really kill my bandwidth as I only have ADSL.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

uploads really kill my bandwidth as I only have ADSL.

I know, that's the one downside of the thing (having BitTorrent run full blast effectively slows my regular traffic to less than a trickle), though I do have a kind of fix for that problem: CarraFix, which allows you to cap the upload (and download) bandwidth for specific ports. It works quite well actually. If I want to run BitTorrent and still get on the 'net, I put a CarraFix cap on BitTorrent (ports 6881-6889) to about 4 KB/s (I should have about 16 KB/s upload), and all is pretty useable. True though, the 280 KB is more an exception than a rule (I have downloaded other several-100 MB files at 3-4 KB/s). I prefer Usenet (my ISP has a pretty good service to the alt.binaries tree).
  • Reply 20 of 33
    Quote:

I agree on Kazaa, and I can understand that you're hard-pimping DC (I've enjoyed your hub very much, thank you), the issue is that DC, as Usenet (and Carracho, ...) for example, is more a question of offer than it is one of demand: you'll get what others have, not necessarily what you came looking for. If you're hard pressed to find whatever it is you're looking for, you'll have to resort to the Kazaa-Gnutella-Napster like networks of your choice. If you're casually walking around, hoping merely to get something good, though unsure as to what that good thing will be, DC, Usenet, Carracho are your thing. Personally, I'm most always to be found on one of the latter. Only one actually. Usenet. I love it.

If you enjoyed my DC hub then you're gonna be happy to know that it's gonna be back up soon for longer intervals. As soon as I gather funds for a cheap PC I'm gonna install Mandrake Linux 9.1 and that machine is gonna act as my server machine. It's gonna be on 24/7 and it's gonna be awesome for other things too. So good things are soon to come for my DC hub.