New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 61 of 873
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

yes need...im not saying they are bad, but thy are outdated as probooks with the 970 out...though i suppect it will probably be a year or whenever the .09µ shrink is done

There's going to be nothing other than G4 PowerBooks this year.
  • Reply 62 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I thought that person over MacRumors who got the "unexpected delay until July 7th" notice made that the week we would see new PowerBooks. That seemed logical to me. When soulcrusher said tomorrow new PowerBooks, I was like "What? Based on?" At least the MacRumors poster gives us something to go on.
  • Reply 63 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Paul: I don't think anybody here is talking about a PowerBook G5. Anybody in their right mind realizes that the next PowerBook revision will still contain a G4 processor.

Scroll up some and read through the thread.

And take a look at the other PowerBook-related thread in this forum, talking about G5 PowerBooks. Yes, some people DO indeed believe they're around the corner, otherwise I wouldn't have said what I did.

I wasn't just trying to be a mean party-pooper.

• Reply 64 of 873
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'll let Junkyard Dawg suck his own D***K if this becomes true

Is this sort of crass talk necessary?
  • Reply 65 of 873
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Macrumors.com has a story about New PowerBook model ID's .

New PowerBook Model ID's?

Friday June 27, 2003 01:17 AM

One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2

PowerBook5,2

PowerBook6,3

PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1

17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1

15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2
  • Reply 66 of 873
    discocowdiscocow Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

New to ai are we?
  • Reply 67 of 873
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Scroll up some and read through the thread.

I wasn't just trying to be a mean party-pooper.

OTOH, I was a mean party-pooper intentionally.

It's crazy how hopeful and optimistic (some) people are regarding a G5 PowerBook. OTOH, since I want to buy a new PowerBook in the next couple of months, I'm going through a realistic-pessimistic phase by necessity. (I think) I'll buy whatever Apple ships as the next revision of the 12-inch PB.

Escher
  • Reply 68 of 873
    maniamania Posts: 104member
    awright its monday and no new powerbooks and i was right and lock this thread.
  • Reply 69 of 873
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

Nothing is necessary.
  • Reply 70 of 873
    tboxmantboxman Posts: 72member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fahlman

Macrumors.com has a story about New PowerBook model ID's .

New PowerBook Model ID's?

Friday June 27, 2003 01:17 AM

One user notes the following PowerBook model names

PowerBook6,2

PowerBook5,2

PowerBook6,3

PowerBook5,3

In Panther Preview (/System/Library/Extensions/AppleMacRISC2PE.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

Portable2003_PlatformMonitor.kext/Contents/MacOS/Portable2003_PlatformMonitor)

The current PowerBooks carry the following designations:

12" PowerBook -> PowerBook6,1

17" PowerBook -> PowerBook5,1

15" PowerBook -> PowerBook3,2

O.K. If the 12" PowerBook is now PowerBook 6,1 and soon to be 6,2 and 6,3; plus the 17" PowerBook is now 5,1 and soon to be 5,2 and 5,3; where does that leave the 15" PowerBook? It doesn't seem to have a new number associated with it. That would mean to me that it wasn't going to be update soon at all, or that drivers (or whatever) have not been written for Panther yet.

It's still a waiting game if you ask me.

TBoxman
  • Reply 71 of 873
    maskermasker Posts: 451member
    Someone stated on another forum that the 14 inch iBook , and the 12 inch iBook share designations. Screen size doen't apply to the designation, but mobo differences do...

Therefore, it's likely that the 15 incher will share the mobo of the 17 ...

I wonder if the 7457 can just "drop in" to the existing mobo on the 17 (in manufacturing terms)

If not, I'd say it's 3.3....

MSKR
  • Reply 72 of 873
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Hopefully any new update would at LEAST have the 17's mobo. A 133mhz bus is sad. The 15 is starting to look very sad. And the 17 for the price is very sad indeed with only 1ghz. How bout those spare 1.42ghz G4s that Apple isn't selling anymore, eh? I bet they'll move to 1.25 for the 15, maybe 1.42, and 1.25 or 1.42 for the PB. Although the PB G4's are different than the desktop G4s right?

G5 PowerBooks we'll be lucky to see those next year folks. Calm down on that.
  • Reply 73 of 873
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I really hate you guys. If Apple doesn't announce new PowerBooks tomorrow, you'll say they're coming out next week, and I'll believe you because I'm just that gullible. Will someone please kill me now? Your mad, never-ending speculation is going to drive me insane.
  • Reply 74 of 873
    jellyboyjellyboy Posts: 14member
    So... is "today" over yet?
  • Reply 75 of 873
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    not until tomorrow

• Reply 76 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

Nothing is necessary.

Starbucks Espresso Ice Cream.

Limoncello

De Loach Zinfindel

Ferrari 360 Modena

Any film by Frank Capra

Any record by JJ Cale

I think that completely disproves your point.
  • Reply 77 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but....

This article over at MacCentral Apple reverted to an older motherboard on the new low-end Power Mac G4 so it could boot OS 9 and OS X. Could Apple being doing the same thing with the 15-inch PowerBook -- meaning the it is the "bridge" system; only one still able to boot OS 9?
  • Reply 78 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    People REALLY need to get over OS 9. If it is, essentially, holding up the advancement of certain hardware, then I'm gonna be MAD!

• Reply 79 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Hate to rain on everyone's parade, but....

This article over at MacCentral Apple reverted to an older motherboard on the new low-end Power Mac G4 so it could boot OS 9 and OS X.

That article is somewhat incorrect. Apple has had the 1.25GHz system when the MDD were shipping. It was just on a different page (with a title of OS 9 ready or some shit). So it is not that they are "reverting" anything. This machine has been around for awhile...
  • Reply 80 of 873
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Wait until MWNY (or whatever its called now). You will get a new PowerBook and a new keyboard/mouse too.