New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 381 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

You know, USB 2.0 flash drives aren't any faster than the USB 1.1 model. The solid state memory these types of drives use is freaking slow and can't keep up with either interface.

Cool thing is, it's not like I'll be copying movies or whatever

We're talking text, JPEG, shareware, etc. types of things. How bad could it possibly be?
  • Reply 382 of 873
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    <rant>Doesn't anyone else think it's coincidental that one site says something about USB 2.0 and FW800 and suddenly all the other sites claim that their sources have come out of the woodwork???

Face it, Apple has rumors locked down tighter than a bass drum stretched across Worker Bees A$$ (post sentencing/lawsuit). Nobody talking knows crap right now, and those that really have heard anything are not talking.</Rant>

Resume joyful thread speculation mode, just don't get wrapped around bogus, contrived, site-traffic bait.
  • Reply 383 of 873
    kabeyunkabeyun Posts: 81member
    I'm sure this is old hat, but...

Everyone's noticed that the $100 rebate for a TiBook at Amazon.com expires for purchases after August 6th, right? Also applies to the 17" AlBook but not the 12". Hmmm..... Speculate at will.
  • Reply 384 of 873
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kabeyun

I'm sure this is old hat, but...

Everyone's noticed that the $100 rebate for a TiBook at Amazon.com expires for purchases after August 6th, right? Also applies to the 17" AlBook but not the 12". Hmmm..... Speculate at will.

Expiration date has nothing to do with it... side effect of the fact that Amazon's currently running $100 rebates on a variety of notebooks (which happens to include some Apple notebooks) right now as a promotion.
  • Reply 385 of 873
    jdljdl Posts: 19member
    Someday rumors will start "killing" humans.

Too much "paranoia"!

"Get a life" should Jobs said ...

Take care everyone,

jdl
  • Reply 386 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jdl

Someday rumors will start "killing" humans.

Too much "paranoia"!

"Get a life" should Jobs said ...

Take care everyone,

jdl

Eventually, Rumors will become their own entities and be able to think for themselves even though we created them... What we have created will eventually come back to destroy us in the end...

Ok...sorry bout that. I watch waaaayyyyy too many movies...

Why can't Apple just at leaste announce the PBs so at leaste we know that they are there?!?! Even if they don't ship until late August, I would at leaste like to know...
  • Reply 387 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omek

Eventually, Rumors will become their own entities and be able to think for themselves even though we created them... What we have created will eventually come back to destroy us in the end...

Ok...sorry bout that. I watch waaaayyyyy too many movies...

Why can't Apple just at leaste announce the PBs so at leaste we know that they are there?!?! Even if they don't ship until late August, I would at leaste like to know...

Because they would be stuck with all of the PowerBooks currently in stock, because people aren't going to buy the old model once the new one is announced :-/ Do your part and buy one now to help hurry the new ones along! I'm buying one before they're released because they're cheap, which is a much better reason.
  • Reply 388 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Well.... If they announced them now, the PBs out now would likely be even cheaper. So what's bad about that? And there's no way I'm buying a PB until I see an update... I've waited too dang long for this. To give you some perspective, I'm still using a 400MHz slot-loading iMac. The kinda foggy-looking ones. And I remember right when I purchased one in June awhile back, they updated them in July!!! GRRRRR.... with CD burners too! As you can imagine, I'm not going to let this happen again...
  • Reply 389 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Omek

Well.... If they announced them now, the PBs out now would likely be even cheaper. So what's bad about that? And there's no way I'm buying a PB until I see an update... I've waited too dang long for this. To give you some perspective, I'm still using a 400MHz slot-loading iMac. The kinda foggy-looking ones. And I remember right when I purchased one in June awhile back, they updated them in July!!! GRRRRR.... with CD burners too! As you can imagine, I'm not going to let this happen again...

They would have to be a lot cheaper to keep selling. Regardless of what most peoples' needs actually are, when they're buying a new computer they don't want to get something that they percieve as out of date and while selling those laptops at a loss is better than just being stuck with them, they can keep selling them and they will keep moving off the shelves (if not terribly fast) through the back to school season. Yes, it would appease customers, but it does not necessarily make good business sense to announce new PowerBooks now if they can't be shipped because the current line is still selling. Of course, that has to be weighed against potential lost sales of people who switch to PCs instead of buying the current model or waiting for a new one.
  • Reply 390 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by Delphiki

Because they would be stuck with all of the PowerBooks currently in stock, because people aren't going to buy the old model once the new one is announced :-/

I think that's already the case...
  • Reply 391 of 873
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

I think that's already the case...

That is it, exactly!

Now, if they brought back the Pismo blackbird case.....8)
  • Reply 392 of 873
    Since January when the PB's were released I debated getting one and ditching my PM. In June I finally made the move, and turned around to buy a 17" PB only to contemplate waiting in case an update was around the corner. Now, having gone a little while without a mac I'm starting to lose my composure and break down and want buy the current specs. Then I always think to stay calm, just wait it out, it will be here soon. When I think back though, I think about how I could have had the 17" weeks ago and gotten some time out of it, especially if the newer revisions aren't coming for another month at least. So now i'm just wishing I would have gotten it a while ago, but now that we're so close there isn't any point in getting one with current specs, especially considering the prices haven't dropped to create any incentive. If I bought now I know I will just be throwing money to the wind. Now I know many of you would say that the current specs are fine, and they are, I could easily get away with them, but it's more of a thought process that comes from imagining an additional 250-330MHz, USB 2.0 (which I have stuff that's only USB 2.0 and not firewire) and possibly a larger hard drive.

Believe me, I'm dying here, today I found 13 (yes count them, 13) viruses on my PC probably from some typical 19 year old jackass pc user who thought it would be "neat" to try and mess with people. You combine that with XP which is already sluggish and complete crap and you get this sweet machine that constantly accesses it's hard drive while giving you continual "This Program Is Not Responding", yeah, no shit captain obvious, thanks for the update. Ok, I'm done now.

-CFPC
  • Reply 393 of 873
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ConvertedFromPC

Since January when the PB's were released I debated getting one and ditching my PM. In June I finally made the move, and turned around to buy a 17" PB only to contemplate waiting in case an update was around the corner. Now, having gone a little while without a mac I'm starting to lose my composure and break down and want buy the current specs. Then I always think to stay calm, just wait it out, it will be here soon. When I think back though, I think about how I could have had the 17" weeks ago and gotten some time out of it, especially if the newer revisions aren't coming for another month at least. So now i'm just wishing I would have gotten it a while ago, but now that we're so close there isn't any point in getting one with current specs, especially considering the prices haven't dropped to create any incentive. If I bought now I know I will just be throwing money to the wind. Now I know many of you would say that the current specs are fine, and they are, I could easily get away with them, but it's more of a thought process that comes from imagining an additional 250-330MHz, USB 2.0 (which I have stuff that's only USB 2.0 and not firewire) and possibly a larger hard drive.

That is why you buy when you need something, and don't hesitate. There is no givens on updates. We cuold go another 6 months with no powerbook updates (sure it would hurt Apple, but it could happen), no one really knows when they will update.
  • Reply 394 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    Quote:

We cuold go another 6 months with no powerbook updates...

Arrggghh!!!! Don't say that!!!! ( Clutches chest like Fred Sanford and dies...)
  • Reply 395 of 873
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chazmox

Arrggghh!!!! Don't say that!!!! ( Clutches chest like Fred Sanford and dies...)

What if Moto simply cannot make a faster G4? The PB will be like the Power Mac two years ago. 18 months with no real update.
  • Reply 396 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    This thread over at MacRumors is interesting. (link)

To save you from jumping over there and muddling through that page for the details, one poster says a reseller told him new 15-aluminums were shipping for debut next week.

Another poster said a friend emailed him the specs of new Apple portables. He seemed rather luke warm about the email though. Given the specs, I can understand why. The specs he posted weren't properly formatted so I'll "translate" so to speak.

PowerBooks

Good:

867 MHz PowerPC G4

512 MB DDR SDRAM

15.2-inch TFT

Combo Drive

NVidia GeForce 440 with 32 MB

40 GB HD

Airport Extreme Ready

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$1,999

Better:

Dual 867 MHz PowerPC G4

512 MB DDR SDRAM

17-inch TFT

SuperDrive

NVidia GeForce 440 with 64 MB

60 GB HD

Airport Extreme Ready

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$2,599

Best:

Dual 1.0 GHz PowerPC G4

512 MB DDR SDRAM

17-inch TFT

SuperDrive

NVidia GeForce 440 with 64 MB

60 GB HD

Airport Extreme Built-In

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$3,299

iBooks:

Good:

867 MHz PowerPC G4

256 MB DDR SDRAM

12.1-inch TFT

Combo Drive

NVidia GeForce 420 with 32 MB

40 GB HD

Airport Extreme Ready

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$1,299

Better:

867 MHz PowerPC G4

512 MB DDR SDRAM

15.2-inch TFT

Combo Drive

NVidia GeForce 420 with 64 MB

40 GB HD

Airport Extreme Ready

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$1,499

Best:

1.0 GHz PowerPC G4

512 MB DDR SDRAM

15.2-inch TFT

SuperDrive

NVidia GeForce 420 with 64 MB

60 GB HD

Airport Extreme Built-In

Firewire 800

USB 2

Bluetooth Built-in

$1,799

My commentary: Dual Proc PowerBooks? Ya think? I don't know. I mean it has been rumored that Apple was working on dual processor PowerBooks. If Motorola can't move chips faster, maybe this is a temporary stop-gap? These specs may be feasible.

Comment away...
  • Reply 397 of 873
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Doesn't make sense to me that Apple would sell iBooks that are both cheaper and more powerful than the low-end PowerBooks. And what happened to the 12" PB?

Also, wasn't "Good, better, best" dropped a while back? It, to some extent, trivialises the whole purchasing of machines to "how much power can you afford" when there's very good reasons why, say, Bill Gates might prefer a 12" PB to a 17", and likewise good reasons why, say, a bankrupted Enron executive might want the 17".

I wouldn't complain, cheap, powerful iBooks are a good thing. But there has to be more to it than what's above.
  • Reply 398 of 873
    chazmoxchazmox Posts: 39member
    I don't think so... if you look at the specs the top iBook is faster and cheaper than the bottom of the line PowerBook. I think this would muddle the product lines even more.

Commodus at MacNN posted these specs and prices... I think these make more sense and leave room for 1GHz iBook. But at this point it is anybodys guess. Mot may be shipping Apple gerbils and little wheels!

12" PowerBook

- 1.13 GHz G4 with 512K L2 cache

- 133 MHz system bus

- 256 MB DDR266 memory

- 60/80 GB hard drive

- 64 MB GeForce FX 5200 Go video

- Combo or 2X Superdrive

- $1599

15" PowerBook

- 1.25 GHz G4 with 512K L2, 1 MB L3 caches

- 167 MHz system bus

- 512 MB DDR333 memory

- 60/80 GB hard drive

- 64 MB GeForce FX 5600 Go video

- Combo or 2X Superdrive

- Airport Extreme card included!

- $2299

17" PowerBook

- 1.33 GHz G4 with 512K L2, 1 MB L3 caches

- 167 MHz system bus

- 512 MB DDR333 memory

- 80 GB hard drive

- 64 MB Mobility Radeon 9600 video

- 2X Superdrive

- Airport Extreme card included

- $2799
  • Reply 399 of 873
    I have a hard time deciding whether all these PowerBook update features are based on reality or merely wishful thinking. I'm sure they'll happen sometime, maybe 4th quarter 2003 or first quarter 2004. It seems more likely that soon the 15" PB will be migrated to the AL line, probably with the same feature set as the 17" PB with the exception of no backlit keyboard and the same speeds as the present TiBook.

This brings up the question, will those people crying for a 15" AL book go for the incrimental upgrade or will they hold out for a far distant major upgrade?
  • Reply 400 of 873
    g5powerg5power Posts: 18member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jante99

What if Moto simply cannot make a faster G4? The PB will be like the Power Mac two years ago. 18 months with no real update.

Motorola have already announced faster G4s for powerbooks. the 7457 or so-called "Apollo 7". everybody seems certain that it is just a matter of time before apple bring out their new powerbooks with this chip.

In terms of a Powerbook G5, not sure if this helps but here is the history (from: www.info.apple.com/support/applespec.html):

601 Desktop March 1994, Powerbook 603e October 1996

G3 Desktop November 1997, Powerbook G3 November 1997

G4 desktop September 1999, Powerbook G4 January 2001

G5 Desktop September 2003, Powerbook G5 ?

the delay for the powerbook version, after the desktop release, seems to have jumped around. the G3 powerbook seems to have been simultaneous to the desktop but the others have lagged.