LCD iMac "Confirmation"

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Possibly this should have gone in one of the other threads, but here it is anyway:

<a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/23248.html"; target="_blank">The Register</a>is saying that the contract has been signed for the production of the new iMacs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 93
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Keen! Can't wait to see them!
  • Reply 2 of 93
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    I hope AI's report is correct about the new iMac having a GF2. Apple desperately needs to have a consumer machine with the ability to play cutting edge games. The current iMac fall far too short of this mark. While the GF2 is not the latest and greatest, at least Apple's consumer machines will be up to par with the majority of PCs. It just boggles my mind why Apple does not use the top of the line graphics cards for ALL their machines. I would like to see Apple pay much more attention to the graphics capabilities of their machines. Since only the Powermac can be upgraded in this respect, Apple needs to include the absolute best so their machines compete with PCs.
  • Reply 3 of 93
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Quick, we need some pictures!
  • Reply 4 of 93
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    [quote]Originally posted by 4fx:

<strong>It just boggles my mind why Apple does not use the top of the line graphics cards for ALL their machines. </strong><hr></blockquote>

You think they should use a GF 3 in the iMac? What are you crazy? Sure bring up the price of every iMac $200 ... yeah schools, grandmothers & non gamers will really like the $200 more they have to pay for something they won't use.

Gamers are NOT the iMac's target audience. It would be nice though if the had an iMac Gamers edition or something (where they'd have say a GF 3 Ti). I can't see this happening anytime soon but it's a nice dream.

Rather Apple should do what their doing with the 2mx. It's a nice chip & it's suitable for todays graphics & will suit the iMac's target audience well. What I do think is that they need to update the iMac's video more often though & keep it more current (ie. it should've had a 2mx in the last revision, it's a very cheap card & it's been that way for a while).
  • Reply 5 of 93
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    upgradable AGP slot.

nuff said.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    stimulistimuli Posts: 564member
    Yeah, seriously. Until then, I'll wait for a Powermac G5, whenever they debut.
  • Reply 7 of 93
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Upgradeable graphics =&gt; big case and system fan.

It's interesting, although not too surprising, that Apple has awarded the contract to Quanta. It's obviously going to be very compact and sexy.

Can't wait to see it.
  • Reply 8 of 93
    Oh name him not.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    [quote]Rather Apple should do what their doing with the 2mx. It's a nice chip & it's suitable for todays graphics & will suit the iMac's target audience well.<hr></blockquote>

Knowing Apple, after having chosen the bottom-of-the-line video card, they will not feel obligated to upgrade it for several years and find eMachines selling computers with better hardware.
  • Reply 10 of 93
    I hope note. You can always buy an iBook today if you want a LCD iMac. Sure it's got a 12.1" screen, but it's the same resolution as the 15".

Why can't Apple offer a SuperDrive equiped iBook. Oh, yeah, they *have" to put into a pro machine for 6 months first.

Oh! What's that going on over at the Sony site...

Oh my! HP is offering DVD-R on it's desktop consumer machines! Sony as well!
  • Reply 11 of 93
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I think they should have options for different cards BTO. Fact is, the vast majority of people who use iMacs don't need ANY graphics card, or at most the 4MB Rage in the original.

They should have an option to pay $1-200 extra to get gaming graphics. That way, most of the iMac buyers will get a cheaper machine, but if you want to use it for games, you have that option.

Remember, many of the low-end Wintels have "integrated graphics" (i.e., no video card).
  • Reply 12 of 93
    Here is another like to a similar story.

<a href="http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?T=marketsquote99_news.ht&s=APBAPshW0UXVh bnRh" target="_blank">Bloomberg</a>

These people are notorious for fact checking. Maybe ther is more truth than rumor on this one...

I can only hope so.
  • Reply 13 of 93
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I so wanted the iMac to be a small headless unit. They could have put in a smaller size AGP card on the standard slot pin out (a la cube) Then there would at least be options. I think in the long run it would also be cheaper for them to update over the production life o the machine. Screens (maybe of the same size but higher resolutio) and video cards could al be changed with less work on the MB. I think the design of the iMac was one of the facets, that while initially appealing, in the long run, kept it more expensive and out-of-date than it needed to be. Whatever I'm sure this iMac will also be an all-in-one design, and that it will be very slim and integrated.

A funny aside:

I Imagine that the new iMac is so small and efficient, that some enterprising company will make a briefcase like enclosure for it that houses an integral battery, keyboard, trackpad, and second hardrive. Taken all together in this durable case, the new iMac desktop will weigh about as much as a dell 8100 laptop! HAHAHA...

Actually, when I think about it, such a machine would make an interesting field work proposition for 'on remote' studios etc. Sure it's bulky, but it sits in a van anyway, and you get more/cheaper storage, more speed, more max ram, and a bigger screen. Maybe even a superdrive option. It could even be a better prposition than a powerbook for some scenarios: portable video/sound bite/footage archive server?
  • Reply 14 of 93
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Supposed on Quntra's web site (saw a quote from it on MacNN) there will be two sized iMacs.

a 15" LCD iMac-desktop

a 12" LCD iMac -internet

Very interesting indeed. Wonder what the 12" could cost? Perfect for those kitchens with space and people who just want to surf the net and check email. Like my grandma, this is cool-too bad they didn't come out with these before Christmas.
  • Reply 15 of 93
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I doubt we'll see more than one iMac model.
  • Reply 16 of 93
    jasonppjasonpp Posts: 308member
    12" iMac = iBook

They make them.
  • Reply 17 of 93
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    It sounds good and I hope it is true, but if this information is directly from Quntra Steve will go nuts.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Does anyone else remember earlier in the year, I think it was around May, there was a report that a larger-screen iBook was coming from Quanta?

In a rare move, Apple came out and denied it, but the speculation remained that it was an iMac. Others said it couldn't be an iMac because Quanta only made laptops.

Maybe that was the initial leak of the story?
  • Reply 19 of 93
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    at Quanta site---for whatever it's worth:

Quanta's product lineups

a. Full (complete) notebook PC line:

from commercial models to consumer models, low to high levels, both IBM-compatible and MAC models.

b. LCD line:

i. The LCD monitor: 15" panel is the major market at present to replace the 17" CRT monitor. The product has a streamlined design, with built-in speakers for available USB port, the panel is designed with 30° back and forth movement and a viewable angle at 130°.

ii. LCD PC: molded desktop PC with 15" LCD panel to replace traditional desktop PC with its light-weight and slim features.

iii. LCD IA: molded simplified desktop PC with 10"-12" LCD panel targeted at the Internet market.

c. Wireless communication line: 3-band GSM mobile phone.

d. Miscellaneous

i. Booksize PC: all-in-one design with 4 USB ports and P-III CPU supportive, with options for DVD or CD-RW.

ii. Server: 4 CPUs supportive, 840 chipset server or 2 CPUs supportive. It has been certified by Windows 2000

link to:

<a href="http://www.quantatw.com/edefault.htm"; target="_blank">http://www.quantatw.com/edefault.htm</a>;

never says that the 15 or 12" is an imac, but sounds like it may be....i like the line:

"The product has a streamlined design, with built-in speakers for available USB port, the panel is designed with 30° back and forth movement and a viewable angle at 130°."

sounds like an apple 15inch display with speakers...exactly the design i would like to see...g

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: thegelding ]

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 93
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    [quote]Originally posted by X704:

<strong>

Gamers are NOT the iMac's target audience. It would be nice though if the had an iMac Gamers edition or something (where they'd have say a GF 3 Ti). I can't see this happening anytime soon but it's a nice dream.

).</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is actually a good idea. iMacs are not very upgradeable. Apple should add another level higher than hte others with 512 MB RAM and a GeForce 3. That would put it at $1800, about what you'd pay for the lowest G4 on education discount with a monitor.