If powerbooks don't come by september...

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by gunnmjk

I'm also in the same situation. When buying a powerbook, I think it is important to get the best one that you can afford at the time, because they are much more difficult to upgrade.

I disagree. I think that because they are so difficult to upgrade, you're better off buying a low-end model, and replacing it sooner. For desktops, the reverse is true, because the high-end models usually come with architectural improvements that will enable upgrades to the CPU, GPU, RAM, HD, etc to be more effective. Like having room for more RAM, a faster front-side bus, etc.

You pretty much don't upgrade laptops - especially the CPU/GPU. Will a Lapzilla (for example) really last more than twice as long as a 12"PB? Or, put another way, would you be happier using a current Lapzilla for four years, or using a current-generation 12" PB for two years, and a next-gen 12"PB G5 (2005), which would run ciricles around the old Lapzilla, for another two years? Not to mention getting a fresh warranty, fresh batteries, etc etc. Buy low, replace often.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    While everyone has their own preferences, I think that laptops are bought more by individuals who hang on to their computers longer than a corporation would. I have taken the corporate approach though in my own computer purchases. I recently bought a 17" PowerBook and will probably upgrade whenever Apple releases the G5 PowerBook, assuming it is January-March of next year - 6 to 9 months max. Computers are like cars, they lose value (although Apple's value lasts MUCH longer than any other computer manufacturer) and it is a good idea to replace sooner than later. Prices stay pretty stagnant so I bought a demo $2700 17-incher, will sell this one in 6-9 months for $2500 or so and stay roughly even with the curve. Otherwise, I lose out on $1000 or so keeping it for several years. Sure there is work involved in it, but I get pretty much the latest technology and don't shell out a ton of cash at any one time since I recoupe the cost up front.
  • Reply 103 of 109
    teddyteddy Posts: 155member
    People may think I am crazy but I am going to school this fall and I bought a 867 15 Ti in February. It is plenty fast for me and I don't see it in my next 4 years of college failing me in areas such as writing papers, internet or using iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie. Yeah maybe it doesn't have built in bluetooth(I don't have any bluetooth stuff so that doesn't matter and if I get any I will just get a dongle), airport extreme. It is still a great computer for me and you can get some great deals on them right now. I think for students the current laptops are great for what MOST students do. Just my 2 cents
  • Reply 104 of 109
    taliesintaliesin Posts: 117member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Towel

I would you be happier using a current Lapzilla for four years, or using a current-generation 12" PB for two years, and a next-gen 12"PB G5 (2005), which would run ciricles around the old Lapzilla, for another two years? Not to mention getting a fresh warranty, fresh batteries, etc etc. Buy low, replace often.

I agree I always buy the better model not the best. But I buy about every 16-18 months. For example, I got a 667 and now I will upgrade to whatever the "B" speed will be (prolly 1ghz) Top o' line today but tomorrow middle of the pack . Suits me fine though, with the money I save I can upgrade more often.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    Quote:

Originally posted by Teddy

People may think I am crazy but I am going to school this fall and I bought a 867 15 Ti in February. It is plenty fast for me and I don't see it in my next 4 years of college failing me in areas such as writing papers, internet or using iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie. Yeah maybe it doesn't have built in bluetooth(I don't have any bluetooth stuff so that doesn't matter and if I get any I will just get a dongle), airport extreme. It is still a great computer for me and you can get some great deals on them right now. I think for students the current laptops are great for what MOST students do. Just my 2 cents

I guarantee you by your Sophomore year you will feel very constrained. By your Senior year, you'll want to shoot yourself using a 4+ year old laptop on a daily basis.

Sell your 867 TiBook next summer after your Freshman year, take the proceeds plus a couple hundred dollars out of your pocket and buy the then current iBook or 12" PB. You'll thank me.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    onitonit Posts: 44member
    This "rumored Motorola delay" thing is rumor-mill nonsense. Check Moto's site: they initially planned a Q4 release and then bumped it up to Q3. If it comes by the end of September there will have been no delay.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dr_Holistic

Rumor has it that there are more delays with Motorola... it looks like the new Powerbook line Up-Date won't be for a few more months.

You know, I hope Apple decides to for go the Motorola up-date and just jump into the new IBM processor. Just delay the Powerbook Up-date until Christmas time. This will keep all those anticipating a purchase waiting and the G5 will grab a lot of attention for Christmas sales.

Apple has already missed the crucial Back-to-School sales period and will have to count it's loses. But they can capitalize on them buy having one HUGE upgrade near the end of the year.

• Reply 107 of 109
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

I disagree. I think that because they are so difficult to upgrade, you're better off buying a low-end model, and replacing it sooner. For desktops, the reverse is true, because the high-end models usually come with architectural improvements that will enable upgrades to the CPU, GPU, RAM, HD, etc to be more effective. Like having room for more RAM, a faster front-side bus, etc.

You pretty much don't upgrade laptops - especially the CPU/GPU. Will a Lapzilla (for example) really last more than twice as long as a 12"PB? Or, put another way, would you be happier using a current Lapzilla for four years, or using a current-generation 12" PB for two years, and a next-gen 12"PB G5 (2005), which would run ciricles around the old Lapzilla, for another two years? Not to mention getting a fresh warranty, fresh batteries, etc etc. Buy low, replace often.

This is purchasing advice FAQ material. Good post.
  • Reply 108 of 109
    gunnmjkgunnmjk Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Buy low, replace often.

I was thinking about this. But the problem is, where is a poor college student going to come up with the money to buy two powerbooks within four years of college? Also, I don't know about getting a 12in book because of how small the screan is, and how uncomfortable it would be to watch DVD's on it. (And all you people going, "Bah! Buy a dvd player" I gotta do the most I can with the little I got)
  • Reply 109 of 109
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.