New PowerBooks tomorrow.

Comments

• Reply 541 of 873
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

"There will be no new 15in powerbook until JAN, when the whole line will go G5"

Thats what this guy told me at the local apple store.

Nobody, repeat NOBODY, outside of a VERY small circle deep inside 1 Infinite Loop knows Apple's product plans six months in advance. Why is this so hard to understand? This guy knows nothing. (And is apparently a very poor business man if he told you to not buy something from his own store.)
  • Reply 542 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NEMESIS

MARCH? You think so? No he was an idependent store owner. What makes you thnk march???

I'm thinking that because in order to put a G5 into a PB, Apple has to come up with a new logic board design with a new controller chip. That chip is fairly big and generates a fair amount of heat on its own. Apple can't use the controller used for the G5 because it's too big and too hot. To make it smaller and cooler, it has to be fabricated using a .09µ process and that's something that takes time.

The G5, too, needs to be smaller and cooler for use in a PB. The current .13µ process is just too big and too hot so it, too, needs to be fabbed at the smaller process. That will start to happen late this year but full production won't begin until Q1 next (calendar) year. Chips have to be in production for some period before there are enough of them for a production run. I just don't see that happening before the end of February with actual shipments in March.

Considering the time scale of the G5 announcement, Jobs could very well announce the PBG5 at MWSF in January but it could take 2 months before we get them into our hot little hands.
  • Reply 543 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Um... how bout we just focus on the Powerbook G4 upgrades first... The Powerbook G5's are quite a ways away.....
  • Reply 544 of 873
    bihbih Posts: 44member
    Disappointment is a silent killer of souls.

Maybe those of you that are waiting for a powerbook update should buy a G5 or something. Then you can sell it when powerbooks are shipping.
  • Reply 545 of 873
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally posted by taliesin

My sleep light keeps me awake at night. It is waaaaay too bright. Blue might be nice.....

Me too! I have to put my jumper over it or my room pulsates with a white glow!

Jimzip
  • Reply 546 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bih

Maybe those of you that are waiting for a powerbook update should buy a G5 or something. Then you can sell it when powerbooks are shipping.

You're missing the point.

What in the hell would I do with a G5?

It's not that luggable...
  • Reply 547 of 873
    DAMN! \

No 'books again. Maybe next Tues?
  • Reply 548 of 873
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bih

Great idea. They're so abundant right now.
  • Reply 549 of 873
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

What in the hell would I do with a G5?

It's not that luggable...

But it has handles!
  • Reply 550 of 873
    Been awhile since anything related to when Powerbooks will actually be updated and released has been posted in this forum...

No one knows anything new?
  • Reply 551 of 873
    rc51rc51 Posts: 3member
    Tommorow, always tommorow. Oh well tommorow

will arive one day. *ugh*
  • Reply 552 of 873
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Put me down for a "yes"! Blue, glow-y light (or lights, depending on model).

So all that tangerine has you hankering for a complementary color, eh?
  • Reply 553 of 873
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Actually I'd prefer glowing orange lights, but I figured I'd keep things in the realm of possibility and the "here and now".

Besides, blue just seems so "Apple-y" these days (for all the reasons I gave above).

Blue comes in a nice, respectable third in my "colors I can't do without in life", behind orange and green.

• Reply 554 of 873
    omekomek Posts: 43member
    Blue is such a comforting illuminating color. It is both stylish and useful at the same time. MMMM.... maybe they could just make a powerbook that glows entirely in blue at night... mmmmm.... then again, I don't want to be blinded. I would just like it in the trackpad, mouse buttons, and the keyboard...

Well there weren't any upgrades today...again.... Maybe as soon as we get floods of articles on the subject, we will know that it is ready to go. Still not lookin' good though, as of August. Well... somebody want to grab the mic and take our minds of the Powerbook update drama...
  • Reply 555 of 873
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    This screams new Powerbooks:

http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml
  • Reply 556 of 873
    nemesisnemesis Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Originally posted by *l++

This screams new Powerbooks:

http://www.macprices.com/g4tracker.shtml

Are these kind of out of stockings typical? It says that the aple store is out of stock, but when i checked it says 5-7 bus days. Im confused.
  • Reply 557 of 873
    *l++*l++ Posts: 129member
    5-7 business days means out of stock. 2 months ago, you would not have seen a single red dot on that page.
  • Reply 558 of 873
    Yep, compare it to the stock situation of the iMac. I've been following stock issues for a few weeks and retailers out of stock of the 12 and 15 inch continue to grow.

The thing I don't get is that retailers typically do not get any info before anyone else ( or from what I hear they do not ); however, they must be doing this for some reason more than "Well, new models will probably be released soon."

Some people will right this off as typical out of stock issues and not indicative of anything; however, these retailers are in business to sell product - they would not have let stock fall so low without a good reason.

FYI...

7/14/03 - 7 out of stock of 15 / 2 out of stock of 12 ( apple store ) with 5-7 date wait on 12 and 1-3 on high end 15

7/21/03 7 out of stock of 15 / 3 out of stock of 12. Same waits at apple store

7/22/03 - Apple store 3-5 days. Gravis out of stock of 15 in Germany. Japan store may have pulled PB

7/23/03 - 5 out of stock of 15 / 6 out of stock of 12

As of 7/28/03 there were 11 ( curiously the 12 inch seems to be going out of stock at a higher rate than the 15 ) - 7 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model.

As of 7/29/03 there were 14 out of stock bullets associated with the 12 inch and 15 inch. 8 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

7/30/03 - 15 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

7/31/03 - 17 out-of stock bullets and both 15 inchers at 1-3 day delivery. 9 out of 12 retailers are out of stock of some model. Many retailers are out of stock of multiple models.

8/1/03 - 15 inch goes to 5-7 day wait at the Apple store. 19 "out-of-stock bullets.

8/4/03 for what it is worth... MacB reports that PB's shipping in 6-8 weeks. 21 out of stock bullets - 11 for 15 inch; 10 for 12 inch. 24 out of stocks - one 17 inch out of stock-BestBuy, who just added PB's but are out of stock on many models.

8/5/03 27 out of stock bullets - 15 for 15 inch; 12 for 12 inch. Even if we take out Best Buy ( which skews results ) the out-of-stocks keep growing...
  • Reply 559 of 873
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    INtel leadership said that apple made a mistake not using intel chips, did that slow apple down or would they be able to have os10 if they did, is this smoke and sourgrapes or should have apple gone with intel instead of moto. they imply that apple would have more market share if they did.
  • Reply 560 of 873
    amaroneamarone Posts: 75member
    hey, apple store's down ?