New PowerBooks tomorrow.

1282931333444

Comments

  • Reply 601 of 873
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    PowerBooks mentioned in this rumor roundup: macnews



    It makes some sense that there'd be a PR about the updates this month and then have the faster 1.33 gig versions ship later in Sept. This assumes a 7457.



    Could IBM have a low power version of the G5 ready to go this soon? Maybe. We sure don't know what they're up to behind closed doors but then there's that big, hot, power hungry controller chip.



    Oh, BTW, a bit OT but my wife happened to pick up an Italian Vogue at the book store and there were photos of new 15" iMacs covered in white fur--the base and the back of the display.
  • Reply 602 of 873
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    PB updates regardless of the chip will they have faster superdrives,bluetooth, lighted keyboards?????
  • Reply 603 of 873
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by DHagan4755

    Bill M,



    If her story is indeed true, then Apple would have some sort of "press event." I can think it would be fair to say if Apple does announce it will hold a "press event," it will be because it's announcing a PowerBook with a G5.




    Yes, its called MW Paris - with SJ Keynoting!. Any apple event prior to Sep 16 will be for updates. So if there are no PB updates prior to Sep 16, then a G5 PB at MW Paris will be expected!
  • Reply 604 of 873
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hasapi

    So if there are no PB updates prior to Sep 16, then a G5 PB at MW Paris will be expected!



    A G5? Why?
  • Reply 605 of 873
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by job

    A G5? Why?



    I said 'expected', not guaranteed. I expect a PB update prior to Paris and likely G4's @ 1.33G, but that's just me thinking. I was entertaining the G5 PB 'notion' on how it would be released (if at all) - most likely at a SJ keynote and Paris is the only one I can think of between now and MWSF? \
  • Reply 606 of 873
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by hasapi

    I said 'expected', not guaranteed. I expect a PB update prior to Paris and likely G4's @ 1.33G, but that's just me thinking. I was entertaining the G5 PB 'notion' on how it would be released (if at all) - most likely at a SJ keynote and Paris is the only one I can think of between now and MWSF? \



    It's cool. I was just wondering why you thought it was 'expected.'



    It would be nice to see Apple pull of a surprise of that magnitude that soon though. Wonder when they'll ship.
  • Reply 607 of 873
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by job

    It's cool. I was just wondering why you thought it was 'expected.'



    It would be nice to see Apple pull of a surprise of that magnitude that soon though. Wonder when they'll ship.




    No worries!, yeh it would be nice, but like everyone is expecting a G4 (7457) to speed bump the PB's and the iMacs beyond 1GHz (Ugh)!.



    A G5 PB is not out of the question, its just that its expected Q1 04. Which is what Apple is doing on forums such as this, is to ensure consumer expectation is at or below its impending announcements. So anything is possible!.



    Personlly, a would be really happy with a PB G4 but @ 1.6G, same for the iMac 17" (for home) before xmas, but looks like ill have to wait for MWSF?.
  • Reply 608 of 873
    For what it's worth (at this point, probably not much), I was in a Durham, NC Apple Store yesterday where a senior staff member said they were out of stock on the TiBook (), BUT "not to worry" because they were about to get in a whole new shipment of them ( ). I hate to doubt MacBidouille about August, but I'm thinking Paris.



    12"...wait....12"...wait...12"...wait...

    ...ulcer.
  • Reply 609 of 873
    Here's a thought: suppose all potential PB customers decide not to buy the new G4 PB's (1), I'll bet you that Apple Management will be all to eager to change their plotted "nice looking timeline".



    Innovation is but possible with high-end high-margin products THAT SELL. I guess they were tapping deep into their reserves for the latest Powermac revision, that btw came probably just in time. And now it isn't looking too good for the Powerbook segment either: most buyers (meaning those that read before they buy and don't have tons of money to spend) will be holding out for the G5. And since G4 sales won't pick up, Apple Management will have to hurry up it's G5 release and give up their current timetable.



    Power to the people!



    (1) euh, maybe because they have been waiting for a very, very long time just to end up with a product offer that doesn't even meet the latest available market technology, while still costing A LOT OF MONEY.



    Or I could just be frustrated and probably still buy everything they throw at my head. I dunno ...
  • Reply 610 of 873
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Pandoering

    ...And since G4 sales won't pick up, Apple Management will have to hurry up it's G5 release and give up their current timetable.





    Not to make light of your thoughts; I'm amused sometimes by those who write as if Apple can just pull technology, i.e. advanced chips, motherboard designs, etc. out of thin air.



    Apple can only work with the chips their vendors, Motorola and IBM can supply. And, it sounds as if it's a big challenge to design a board for a laptop that runs cool and sips power.



    I am sure Apple is putting pressure on IBM and Motorola where due and rushing to develop new technology just as fast as possible. A boycott of certain products by consumers would make no difference in how fast it comes to market.



    That said, I can't wait to get my hands on a 17" G5 Big Al. Hope it's soon.
  • Reply 611 of 873
    hasapihasapi Posts: 290member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Pandoering

    Here's a thought: suppose all potential PB customers decide not to buy the new G4 PB's (1), I'll bet you that Apple Management will be all to eager to change their plotted "nice looking timeline".



    Innovation is but possible with high-end high-margin products THAT SELL. I guess they were tapping deep into their reserves for the latest Powermac revision, that btw came probably just in time. And now it isn't looking too good for the Powerbook segment either: most buyers (meaning those that read before they buy and don't have tons of money to spend) will be holding out for the G5. And since G4 sales won't pick up, Apple Management will have to hurry up it's G5 release and give up their current timetable.

    Power to the people!




    I would have to agree, and fortunately for Apple alot of existing PMac users did not switch over to faster PC's because of economic factors mainly as well as the expected G5 (due in 2001). The fact remains, will a very modest 1.25G PB be successful?, I very much doubt it, hell, even the iMac looks positively aneamic compared to a PC at 1GHz, a 1.6GHz might actually re-ignite these sales both for the iMac and the Powerbook. If Apple updates the PB to say 1.33G - and sales remained a little sluggish, could that force the G5 introduction ahead slightly, possibly, but just because Apple wanted faster chips from Moto, doesnt mean they could get them or introduce G5's to the PB range because of clear technical issues.



    People power can only go so far!
  • Reply 612 of 873
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Pandoering

    ...And since G4 sales won't pick up, Apple Management will have to hurry up it's G5 release and give up their current timetable.



    In addition to what iDave said about the above, I think you over-estimate unwillingness to buy G4 laptops. Quite a number of people, myself included, have voiced a desire to buy one of the next new PowerBooks, even if they "only" use the 7457 G4.



    The attitudes that I hear expressed about G4 PowerBooks aren't anywhere near as negative as what people were saying about G4 Power Macs before the G5 came along. Frustration with the stagnated Power Mac line was such that the prospect of Apple coming out with anything but the G5 was widely regarded as a would-be disaster.



    There isn't anywhere near that level of objection to another round of G4 PowerBooks before G5's some time next year. The biggest gripes right now seem to be wanting the 15" in Aluminum, and seeing the 12" move up in features to match the rest of the PowerBooks better. That and a modest speed bump will make a lot of people happy for now.
  • Reply 613 of 873
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I've just arrived home and scoured all the sites -- including this one -- for some new scrap of information that would further set my mind at ease that next week is finally it. And...nothing \



    Oh, I sure hope next week is it!
  • Reply 614 of 873
    I'm banking on the Release for new products to be on the 18th...



    New Powerbooks for Everyone !!!!
  • Reply 615 of 873
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,563member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Pandoering

    ...And since G4 sales won't pick up, Apple Management will have to hurry up it's G5 release and give up their current timetable....



    Joining with iDave and Shetline, I doubt that very many people who have a reasonable need for a PowerBook now will hold out for a G5 PowerBook if an enhanced G4 based PB comes out next week. Certainly we would all like to see a G5 PB, but I won't shed any tears if it doesn't happen till next year. Laptops are evaluated more on their overall integration than on just CPU power. I'll be happy to see a well designed machine that is reliable, has good battery life, a bright screen, Airport Express with a good antenna, a faster GPU, a better HD, backlit keyboard, bluetooth and a speed bumped CPU all working well together.



    Assuming the rumors are correct and the next PB uses the 7457 at about 1.3GHz this should result in about a 30% performance improvement. When Panther comes out in the near future that will add another 20% or so speed improvement. All together this will be a very attractive new model and I for one am ready to buy it.
  • Reply 616 of 873
    What he said.
  • Reply 617 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by neutrino23





    Assuming the rumors are correct and the next PB uses the 7457 at about 1.3GHz this should result in about a 30% performance improvement. When Panther comes out in the near future that will add another 20% or so speed improvement. All together this will be a very attractive new model and I for one am ready to buy it.




    All I would really want is a backlit keyboard to be added to the 15" as well as it becoming an AlBook. I would rather have a 7457, but at 1.3Ghz you are just getting more power and less battery life it would seem. I'd rather a 1GHz option with a 7457 to add battery life time.
  • Reply 618 of 873
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    The single processor machines never seemed quite as data starved as the duals. I think you'd see a noticeable improvement in speed in a speed bumped G4 15" machine. As much fun as it is to bash motorola (and it IS fun) the G4 is really not a bad chip.
  • Reply 619 of 873
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Bancho

    The single processor machines never seemed quite as data starved as the duals. I think you'd see a noticeable improvement in speed in a speed bumped G4 15" machine. As much fun as it is to bash motorola (and it IS fun) the G4 is really not a bad chip.



    G4 is a bad chip. As it SLOWLY increased in clock speed the bus was not upped accordingly. So even as fast and poweful as the G4 is (or could be) it is limited. Now granted it isn't slow, but in dual configs, it would be pretty impressive if it wasn't limited I think. Then again my opion doesn't count much because I could be horribly wrong.
  • Reply 620 of 873
    Quote:

    Originally posted by shetline

    The biggest gripes right now seem to be wanting the 15" in Aluminum, and seeing the 12" move up in features to match the rest of the PowerBooks better. That and a modest speed bump will make a lot of people happy for now.



    Bingo! I have no doubt that a revised PowerBook G4 lineup will sell just fine. Certainly better than what is currently available.



    Pandoering's analysis makes no sense at all. Even if everybody stopped buying gasoline-powered cars today, the major car manufacturers couldn't offer us supersonic flying cars tomorrow. Any given technology will be ready when it is ready, not a moment sooner. Poor sales of a revised G4-based PowerBook lineup will not advance PowerBook G5 availability by even a day.



    At this point, everybody is getting their hopes up for low-power PPC 7457 processors in the next round of PowerBooks. In the words of the good old Mandricard, hope springs eternal. I sure hope Apple and Motorola don't disappoint us!



    Cold Turkey
Sign In or Register to comment.