MacWorld in New York - 2002 is Apple's year

Comments

• Reply 541 of 619
    cowofwarcowofwar Posts: 98member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dorsal M:

<strong>Final machines have been seeded a while ago with updated hardware. That means they were in their final case designs and processor speeds. There is a much more professional look to them and the design is cleaner that the older case design. There is more chrome and metallic accents.

Processor speeds start at 1GHz and go up to ~1.5GHz with PC2100 DDR-SDRAM support. Detailed specs have already been discussed but the processor speeds fluctuated. It is now certain that 1-1.5GHz will be final speeds. Duals will also be there but we have not had access to final dual machines yet. I asume the higher end processor will make up the dual machine.

A more detailed case description will be coming soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yay. Possibly cases that don't suck! I want to see front access usb/firewire and as Dorsal said, less plastic, more metal!

[quote]Originally posted by nagha:

<strong>greetings,

i love weeks preceding MacWorld. i'd love for these latest specs from Dorsal to be true but it's two weeks before the show. i doubt that these machines would still be in testing.

na</strong><hr></blockquote>

And why not? It's usually half a month to a full month before the towers are shipping after the expo. At least in volume. So I'd expect adjustments to the very last day.
  • Reply 542 of 619
    idoaudioidoaudio Posts: 22member
    Is this the casy you are describing Dorsal?

<a href="http://www.pixelmonger.com/hg_cmput.html"; target="_blank">http://www.pixelmonger.com/hg_cmput.html</a>;

[long time reader first time poster]
  • Reply 543 of 619
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member

<strong>Processor speeds start at 1GHz and go up to ~1.5GHz with PC2100 DDR-SDRAM support.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Xserve-style DDR or real DDR? 266 MHz? 333 MHz?

[quote]Originally posted by detah:

<strong>looks like apple can't quite get a "pro" machine out there yet, that really sucks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Geez, what counts as "pro" in your book? If what Dorsal says is true, and the processor can access this DDR at full speed... A dual 1.5 GHz G4 should really rock. It would be a "pro" machine by any reasonable standard.

Unless some aspect this hypothetical new Power Mac is really off kilter (like a fly-in-the-ointment mis-feature or a $5000 price tag), my credit card will be leaping out of my hand into the nearest Apple store in record time.

[Edited for spelling]

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>
  • Reply 544 of 619
    horned_froghorned_frog Posts: 577member
    Never mind.

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: Horned_Frog ]</p>
  • Reply 545 of 619
    conradg4conradg4 Posts: 1member
    [quote]Originally posted by bryan fury:

<strong>..face it , Moto suck.

They suck worse than a friggin' leaf blower.

AMD + Apple OR Bust. </strong><hr></blockquote>

This is interesting, yesterday I went to see Star Wars: II. In the credits toward the end on the top right of a block it said:

Hardware for post production: Apple & AMD
  • Reply 546 of 619
    mokimoki Posts: 551member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave K.:

<strong>Face it, a true representation of marketshare is unobtainable.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

That is not true. "Marketshare" has a very specific definition, and it is infinitely quantifiable. I'll point you to just one of the firms that can get you this specific information:

<a href="http://www4.gartner.com/UnrecognizedUserHomePage.jsp"; target="_blank">http://www4.gartner.com/UnrecognizedUserHomePage.jsp</a>;
  • Reply 546 of 619
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    Horned_Frog, you may think that Dorsal is a fake because the information may not seem impressive or elaborate. (and you may prove right!) But previous posts have shown that at least he had/has some inside information, usually many months ahead of actual release and in greater detail than the above. So his credibility is greater than most other "insider" posts at this site, which are just chat-type posts anyhow. Isn't that why anyone reads this message board?

So possibly none too impressive, yet more credible for this rumor forum.

[ 07-07-2002: Message edited by: mugwump ]</p>
  • Reply 548 of 619
    woozlewoozle Posts: 64member
    [quote]Originally posted by Dave K.:

<strong>

Right. I agree with you 100%, but as you stated "publically traded companies". What about the mom and pop local PC shops that sell house-branded boxes and are not publically traded. Are they tracked as well? What about the number of PCs that they sell?

Is that number tracked? And by whom?

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

Its easy, there are two companies you need to look at.

Intel and AMD. However many cpu's they sold is a good indication of how many PC's have been sold.

They might even be good enough to break it down by region for you.

[quote]

<strong>

Anyways, isn't marketshare base on percentage of new computers sold, and not the number of systems (Mac and PC) that are currently in use?

</strong>

<hr></blockquote>

Market share is always a measure of how many machines were sold in a given year. It is much harder to estimate the rate of attrition on installed machine. Particularly for macs, which trudge on in faithful service for much longer than PC's, or at least thats what everyone says.
  • Reply 549 of 619
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Hey Moki, as the most logical person on these boards, what do you think of Dorsal M? DO YOU BELIEVE IT?
  • Reply 550 of 619
    [quote]Originally posted by shetline:

<strong>

For 90% of the "shit" I do, my TiBook at 800 MHz is more than fast enough. But then there's that 10% where I do notice a need for more speed. That 10% means a lot to me... because it's my own software that I've written. That same software (it's Java -- the same code runs cross-platform) is noticibly, significantly faster even on my two-year old 1.1 GHz AMD PC.

heh.. java.. therein lies your problem, dude.
  • Reply 551 of 619
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Well, Dorsal is starting to get pretty specific. Looks like MWNY will definetly make or break him
  • Reply 552 of 619
    plasterplaster Posts: 6member
    Come on Dorsal M you can do better than that. I was waiting for months for another post and thats all you can give. Apple is really in deep s**t if it doesnt release a real pro machine worth that 3500$. The powermac's ass is being handed to him in almost all aspects now. If only those bastards at motorola could ship a new G4 with a ddr bus we would all be happier atleast for a couple of months. Is it that complicated? Amd and Intel did it why can't Moto do it? Apple is behind in everything aspect except firewire with their powermacs. You started this thread talking about the way memory is accessed on the test mobos you tried. What is the status now? Is it an on-chip ddr controller? or simply a ddr bus? If only Apple could have stayed with Ibm instead of f*****g motorola. I'm tired of waiting for the g5, they better arrive soon cuz if not, me and all my friends that love osx so much will have to switch to the evil microshit. After mwsf 03 they better be here, im tired of using old technology for almost twice the price of the new one on the other platform. And yes i'm pissed at Apple, but even more I hate motorola! I hope this hate turns to love after mwny. They can't fool the pro users forever, one day they will have to sell us real machines.
  • Reply 553 of 619
    Its the red motherboard all the way!
  • Reply 554 of 619
    cowofwarcowofwar Posts: 98member
    Dorsal probably doesn't know all the details. He would also probably would prefer to keep his job than give you information.
  • Reply 555 of 619
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 7member
    Unless AMD starts making G5's or something that is Mac compatiable, this will never ever happen.

[quote]Originally posted by bryan fury:

<strong>..face it , Moto suck.

They suck worse than a friggin' leaf blower.

AMD + Apple OR Bust. </strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 556 of 619
    vicvic Posts: 2member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>It's too late.

AMD has Hammer coming out on 400Mhz Point to Point Busses. 8way machines are planned with Quads being demo'd.

Intel has Prescott coming which supports a 666mhz Bus. In addition to the faster speeds that Northwood is going to bring.

Apple is not even close enough to choke on Intel/AMD's fumes.</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 557 of 619
    vicvic Posts: 2member
    You are basing your numbers on what ever Intel and AMD want you to believe. I have used their 2ghz machines and the all suck. I bet if they were to gather all of their celeron processors and label them with a 5ghz YOU'D buy one cuz you can't tell the difference
  • Reply 557 of 619
    Audio Audio Audio!!! What else is there to consider? 1. - Audio outputs to home stereos with true surrond sound ability. As well as pro-consumer production monitoring.

2. - Audio inputs from microphones, mixers and other pro-consumer sources.

Also there will be free pizza for a year with every computer sold. Buy Buy Buy !!
  • Reply 559 of 619

<strong>

Processor speeds start at 1GHz and go up to ~1.5GHz with PC2100 DDR-SDRAM support. Detailed specs have already been discussed but the processor speeds fluctuated. It is now certain that 1-1.5GHz will be final speeds. Duals will also be there but we have not had access to final dual machines yet. I asume the higher end processor will make up the dual machine.

Excellent.

Well if this holds true, then I'll bet that the machines using the 1.5 Ghz chips will ship in August at the earliest, though maybe September.

Remember that a month ago I was ADAMANT about 1.5 Ghz machines after knowing of their (Dual 1.5 Ghz) distribution, but heard questions about the yields at the high-end so far. My guess is that final analysis was made that they could intro the machine in NYC, and ship them a month or two later.

I still have some reservations, but finally someone seems to have information that matches mine (1.5 Ghz, DDR2100)! And someone reliable too.

As for graphics, as I said, I've heard things about AGP 8x as at least a possibility...with all my heart I believe it can make it, and since the R300 gets its official debut the day after the keynote (IIRC) it would be a nice coincidence.

Firewire2 should come, though I still dunno about USB 2.0.

But thanks Dorsal....this is good news. I can most likely congratulate my sources now on good info gathering. Ok maybe not yet....but its looking good.
  • Reply 560 of 619
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    So, 1.5GHz and DDR266?

That may keep sales afloat until the G5 is released.

But I have some questions:

What bus does the new G4 use? Dorsal said dual channel RapidIO earlier. Is this still the case?

How fast is the bus? 16-bit at 2GHz or 8-bit at 500Mhz?

Does the new G4 have any additional floating point or integer units? Dorsal said no.

What sizes are the L2 and L3 caches? 512K and 2MB?

e500 and another high performance core? Was he talking about nVidia?

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Kecksy ]</p>