G-5's 1.6 arrived at my office today

Comments

• Reply 221 of 283
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by qazII

If you can find a government employee to "sponsor" your purchase, you can get a Dual 2Ghz without Superdrive and without modem for $2494.

Is that good enough?

Unfortunately I don't know anyone working for the governement

Also....I need superdrive cause I have already got tons of DVDs of my project backups.....
  • Reply 222 of 283
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Just curious, did the original author of the thread ever really bench or take any more photos of his G5?

All of the people with G5s have been really quiet, even on the Spymac forums where it is obvious that someone really does have a 1.6 machine at their house.

Why the silence guys?
  • Reply 223 of 283
    Alright, here's the deal: I went to the U of A bookstore today to check out their 1.6GHz G5 on display. All I can say is, this is the fastest Mac I have used (yet). I'm sure my opinion will change once my dual 2GHz system comes next week. Every app launched in one bounce or less, with Aqua being VERY snappy. (I know, this isn't the best benchmarking method, but it works for everyday use.) There is literally NO lag with Aqua and feels exactly like OS 9. (FINALLY!) This is what the OS X experience is supposed to be like, even though it's been close to perfect with the G4-based systems.

Like the old saying goes, "Dont knock it 'til you try it!" Go to a store and try one for yourself. It's similar to picking out speakers: you can look at the tech specs all you want, but what it comes down to is, you should pick out the speakers that sound best to YOU, not what you think you should be getting.
  • Reply 224 of 283
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis

Unfortunately I don't know anyone working for the governement

Also....I need superdrive cause I have already got tons of DVDs of my project backups.....

If you already have tons of DVD backups, you already have a superdrive, right? You could probably transfer it to the G5 without much trouble. If you needed to use it on both computers, you could buy a cheap FireWire case.
  • Reply 225 of 283
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    Sorry if my questions have been covered..

What's the noise level?

Can you find me the fan make/model? The one which cools the G5 processor.

Thank you.

[edit]: Looks like Apple loves the aluminum material.. they use it for the G5 heatsink again vs. copper heat-pipe on the dual G4/1.42 tower.
  • Reply 226 of 283
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by job

Just curious, did the original author of the thread ever really bench or take any more photos of his G5?

All of the people with G5s have been really quiet, even on the Spymac forums where it is obvious that someone really does have a 1.6 machine at their house.

Why the silence guys?

Richcigar has been AWOL since he opened the box and unpacked his 1.6 G5 at Yale in the Financial Services Department of the Divinity School. There is no explanation for his absence. He promised a lot of reports that he simply has never made since then.
  • Reply 227 of 283
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

If you can find a government employee to "sponsor" your purchase, you can get a Dual 2Ghz without Superdrive and without modem for $2494.

Is that good enough?

WARNING. Do not skip the modem. It may be your only way to the internet when your broadband goes down. Plus Panther inclueds FAX which you will also need the modem for. Also you should BTO Bluetooth for $50 if you want to avoid a USB solution later. BTO Combo drive as you can buy the SONY DW-U10A (Apple's new SuperDrive model) for less than $200 from any number of resellers. $188 is the current shipping price. That will continue to drop over time. That way you get a G5 compatible Combo drive out of the deal FREE that you can put in a FW case when you put the SONY SD inside.

So that's Plus Bluetooth ($50) Minus SuperDrive ($200) for

List - $2849

academic/government total of $2564 - 10% off

developer of $2279 - 20% off

Plus your local sales tax
  • Reply 228 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by Multimedia

WARNING. Do not skip the modem. It may be your only way to the internet when your broadband goes down.

You're assuming that the purchaser (a) has a dial up account, or dial up included in the broadband account and (b) doesn't have an external modem.

Quote:

Plus Panther inclueds FAX which you will also need the modem for.

This assumes you have any interest in sending or receiving faxes.

Quote:

Also you should BTO Bluetooth for $50 if you want to avoid a USB solution later.

The USB solution will probably be cheaper. Plus, with the USB solution, you can put the dongle anywhere. Since the antenna for the builtin solution is connected directly to the case, won't the case block the signal in some directions?

Quote:

BTO Combo drive as you can buy the SONY DW-U10A (Apple's new SuperDrive model) for less than $200 from any number of resellers. $188 is the current shipping price. That will continue to drop over time. That way you get a G5 compatible Combo drive out of the deal FREE that you can put in a FW case when you put the SONY SD inside.

Do you get iDVD if you BTO the Combo drive? You didn't with early Superdrive-ready G4's, though I think this has changed.

Quote:

So that's Plus Bluetooth ($50) Minus SuperDrive ($200) for

List - $2849

academic total of $2564 - 10% off

But with the discount, you only save $180 by removing the superdrive, so it's no longer worthwhile unless the external combodrive is worth $8 + cost of external enclosure to you.

Quote:

developer/government total of $2279 - 20% off

Plus your local sales tax

Government prices are the same as educational (actually $1 more), not developer.
  • Reply 229 of 283
    I have plenty of more pics which I can email to someone who would like to post. I've been busy playing with the G5 so I've stayed away from some of the madness. I have no idea how I got these on Tuesday and no one else seems to have them.
  • Reply 230 of 283
    kaikai Posts: 8member
    richcigar:

PLEASE! Use Gaston on your G5 and tell us what it says (no other programs running ofcourse!) when you use the "run benchmark" setting in the pulldown menues!

fps and seconds to complete!

Me and the author are most anxious to know! ;-) It's from my knowledge the only benchmark that has been optimized for the G5 so far!

Thanks!
  • Reply 231 of 283
    Is there a page where we can compare benchmarks using Gaston?

Currently My powerbook 800Mhz can do:

fps: .15

total time: 6.456s

Be interesting to see how it stacks up against some other machines. BTW, is it also available for Intel/x86?
  • Reply 232 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by twinturbo

Is there a page where we can compare benchmarks using Gaston?

Currently My powerbook 800Mhz can do:

fps: .15

total time: 6.456s

Be interesting to see how it stacks up against some other machines. BTW, is it also available for Intel/x86?

For reference, my Powerbook 867 (256MB RAM) clocks in at

0.18 fps

5.683 secs

I'm also very interested to see how the G5 stacks up outside of the RDF...
  • Reply 233 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by richcigar

I have plenty of more pics which I can email to someone who would like to post. I've been busy playing with the G5 so I've stayed away from some of the madness. I have no idea how I got these on Tuesday and no one else seems to have them.

Maybe they just shipped out 2 so they could say they are shipping.
  • Reply 234 of 283
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Maybe because all the people that got them have no time to post between their spasms of orgasmic delight.
  • Reply 235 of 283
    kaikai Posts: 8member
    For more Gaston-Scores lookhere

Gaston makes heavy use of Altivec (3.5 times faster than without! Try running it on an iBook!) and Dual-CPU (extremely close to Factor 2! Yes, 2, the main loop runs in the L1-Cache! ;-)

And no, it doesn't have any ugly DSTs and DCBZs, the Author profiled it using SHARK, so it *should* run great on a G5, but we won't know until someone actually tries it! ;-)

Current known top score to beat is a Dual 1.25 G4 clocking in at 0,47 fps, 2,143 s

And no, there most likely won't ever be an x86-version, as the author is quite a Mac-Fan and prolly won't want to mess with SSE2! ;-)
  • Reply 236 of 283
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    A guy over at Ars reports 0.27 FPS for the Gaston Benchmark, with a SP 1.6 gigger.
  • Reply 237 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kai

And no, there most likely won't ever be an x86-version, as the author is quite a Mac-Fan and prolly won't want to mess with SSE2! ;-)

Which is a pity, as from your description it would probably show the G5 as considerably faster than top of the line PC's.
  • Reply 238 of 283
    jonojono Posts: 12member
    Quote:

Is that good enough?

My Dad works for the government in Canada, does it also apply in Canada? Where can I see it on Apple.com or .ca? Thanks

Edit: Judging by another post, I can't get the Governement discount with the Education discount anyway?
  • Reply 239 of 283
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Is someone going to host richgars pics...or don't we want to see them
  • Reply 240 of 283
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jono

My Dad works for the government in Canada, does it also apply in Canada? Where can I see it on Apple.com or .ca? Thanks

Edit: Judging by another post, I can't get the Governement discount with the Education discount anyway?

The Government discount seems to be U.S. only, though you can get an education discount in Canada.

The edu and govt discounts are separate "stores," and therefore are not combinable.