G5 shipped? Nobody's got em.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
No stores in LA have them ( today friday ) and don't expect them until the end of the month.

What happened to them?

People should have had them Wed that had overnight shipping.

Did apple speak before they actually shipped?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    Well, the earliest quoted shipping date I've heard for people who ordered at the Apple Store was "on or before August 29th" for all configurations. Furthermore, Apple has told third-party retailers that it may be mid-September or later before they see their machines.

What that means is that while a few people may be getting them already, they're relying on having this next week to start getting them out in volume.

What I'm curious about is whether they'll slip the 8/29 date.

-- Mark
  • Reply 2 of 34
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Boca Raton Fl store still doesn't have them either (Fri). When I asked when, the chief sales guy said "soon". I suggested to him that he really knew when they were coming and it would a great help if he would just tell me. He said he didn't know. When I asked him if could track shipments from Apple and other vendors, he shrugged. You know it's a corporate arrogance that annoys the hell out of me. Lying seems to be the name of the game. Every store knows EXACTLY when product of any kind is arriving. They can track all shipments via a thing called the INTERNET! Anyhow, they are all wearing black and standing around in the store talking to each other. Why they put up the display material (no booklets to take with you) is beyond me. I'm sure there are lots of people constantly asking them and perhaps they are getting tired of the questions. Too bad.
  • Reply 3 of 34
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Boca Raton Fl store still doesn't have them either (Fri). When I asked when, the chief sales guy said "soon". I suggested to him that he really knew when they were coming and it would a great help if he would just tell me. He said he didn't know. When I asked him if could track shipments from Apple and other vendors, he shrugged. You know it's a corporate arrogance that annoys the hell out of me. Lying seems to be the name of the game. Every store knows EXACTLY when product of any kind is arriving. They can track all shipments via a thing called the INTERNET! Anyhow, they are all wearing black and standing around in the store talking to each other. Why they put up the display material (no booklets to take with you) is beyond me. I'm sure there are lots of people constantly asking them and perhaps they are getting tired of the questions. Too bad.

Umm, duh no.

They only know when the products are arriving if they have already shipped. Grow some patience.
  • Reply 4 of 34
    He implied that they were do any moment. That would mean he had received shipping info. I track packages all the time and know exactly when they were shipped, when they arrived in my area and when they were put on a truck for delivery. He claimed to know nothing. It has nothing to do with patience. They put up all the displays! Yet they haver nothing to sell. Doesn't sound smart to me to have people come in, find out it's not there and walk out. Add to that the attitude of the employees and you get bad vibes.
  • Reply 5 of 34
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Quote:

He implied that they were do any moment. That would mean he had received shipping info. I track packages all the time and know exactly when they were shipped, when they arrived in my area and when they were put on a truck for delivery. He claimed to know nothing. It has nothing to do with patience. They put up all the displays! Yet they haver nothing to sell. Doesn't sound smart to me to have people come in, find out it's not there and walk out. Add to that the attitude of the employees and you get bad vibes.

How long did it take to get a 17 inch Al book as a floor model after they had already been shipping? I doubt that Apple had 100k backorders to fill.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    They didn't put up displays for the 17" Powerbook days in advance of the product showing up in the store. The fact is that he told me on Tuesday that they were "due any day now" and that's why they put up the display material. I met a person outside the store who said he was pretty upset as he was told to come in Friday to see the G5. I got the impression that the sales guy really didn't care one way or the other.
  • Reply 7 of 34
    spazspaz Posts: 58member
    Stanford, CA store has about 40 of them, instore.

edit \\/\\/\\/ yes, i wasn't saying it was new news, i was responding to the topic of the thread.
  • Reply 8 of 34
    That's a Universty store. Pics already posted on the net yesterday.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Quote:

No stores in LA have them ( today friday ) and don't expect them until the end of the month.

The USC store has some 1.6 models.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    tidristidris Posts: 214member
    This what you need to do. Go to your local Apple store and ask to see the manager. Tell the manager you are there to buy 1000 G5s, but you have to see one before you can place the order. If they have any G5s in the backroom that ought to do the trick. Let me know if this works for you so I can go and try the same thing at the local store.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    Apple's plan here is beginning to show itself. They had limited quantities of machines to ship, and they all end up at university stores just days before kids are due back at school. They must have rationalized that a few well-placed boxes at universities would do them more promotional good and the Apple stores could wait for the next batch, while the Universities could not. Seems like overall, they only managed to place a hundred or so machines out there this week.

CV
  • Reply 12 of 34
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Does Stanford have demo units?
  • Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by chris v

Apple's plan here is beginning to show itself. They had limited quantities of machines to ship, and they all end up at university stores just days before kids are due back at school. They must have rationalized that a few well-placed boxes at universities would do them more promotional good and the Apple stores could wait for the next batch, while the Universities could not. Seems like overall, they only managed to place a hundred or so machines out there this week.

CV

My thoughts exactly. Richcigar got his at Yale on Monday and nobody else even has a tracking number yet.

Apple must very confident in these machines' performance and subsequent influence in Higher Ed.
  • Reply 14 of 34
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tidris

This what you need to do. Go to your local Apple store and ask to see the manager. Tell the manager you are there to buy 1000 G5s, but you have to see one before you can place the order. If they have any G5s in the backroom that ought to do the trick. Let me know if this works for you so I can go and try the same thing at the local store.

You forgot the exit strategy: "What no two-button mouse, forget the whole deal!!"
  • Reply 15 of 34
    The University strategy seems a reasonable assumption. Also there was a report late yesterday that Japanese deliveries were to be delayed a month. The reason given, well here's the story from Mac Minute:

Quote:

Apple delays G5 shipment in Japan

August 22 - 17:50 EDT__ Apple said Friday it will delay shipment of the new Power Mac G5 in the Japanese market by one month. According Kyodo News, Apple said that production was behind schedule and that the G5s would be available in September. The 1.6GHz and 1.8GHz models will start shipping in early to mid-September, while the dual 2.0GHz G5 will ship in late September

Also, perhaps Apple decided to make sure each of the 59 (?) stores has not only a demo but sufficent quantities on hand so early buyers can leave with one. So a delay of a few days or a week would make sense I think.
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Quote:

The University strategy seems a reasonable assumption. Also there was a report late yesterday that Japanese deliveries were to be delayed a month. The reason given, well here's the story from Mac Minute:

Also, perhaps Apple decided to make sure each of the 59 (?) stores has not only a demo but sufficent quantities on hand so early buyers can leave with one. So a delay of a few days or a week would make sense I think.

Yeah, I think Apple's strategy is to deliver the G5s to educational institutions first. Then Apple store orders. Then elsewhere. In the US. THEN in Japan/Europe.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    I wish Apple would stop playing games with the shipping of its products. First the 17" PB saga and now this. Its either shipping or it isnt. By all accounts - it isnt quite shipping yet and whilst it may be in vogue to spin things out a bit - a sign of the times in which we live - I for one am sick and tired of this ever increasing trend of what basically amounts to half truths and lies in todays corporate culture. I realise that modern marketing methods try to induce desire rather than cater for needs - but could they not do this without pushing the boat so far out each time they cant find the beach?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by musicaltone

I wish Apple would stop playing games with the shipping of its products. First the 17" PB saga and now this. Its either shipping or it isnt. By all accounts - it isnt quite shipping yet and whilst it may be in vogue to spin things out a bit - a sign of the times in which we live - I for one am sick and tired of this ever increasing trend of what basically amounts to half truths and lies in todays corporate culture. I realise that modern marketing methods try to induce desire rather than cater for needs - but could they not do this without pushing the boat so far out each time they cant find the beach?

?

It *is* shipping. A product isn't not shipping just because supply can't meet demand.
  • Reply 19 of 34
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Quote:

Originally posted by cooop

The USC store has some 1.6 models.

really?

I live in downtown, and would LOVE to stop by if they really have them ..... ??

• Reply 20 of 34
    Product has shipped, otherwise the college stores wouldn't have received them this past Thursday. Samples were also sent out to major reviewers and magazines as well.