Dems Slam Bush on Blackout

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

This quoted post is in no way hostile to those that disagree with you. It is most certainly not meant as an insult. Gee, but if I said that you would be screaming YOU ARE OVER THE TOP AND YOU MUST BE SENT TO THE GAS CHAMBER ACHTUNG!

Come on man. Stop being a hypocrite.

Show me which member I directly insulted with my four word sentence. Show me how that sentence is tantamount you calling me a " godamn joke". Go ahead. I'm listening.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

Show me which member I directly insulted with my four word sentence. Show me how that sentence is tantamount you calling me a " godamn joke". Go ahead. I'm listening.

Whoa there hombre. Let's ease up on the hostilities. It's just an internet message board. Take some deep breaths and when you want to politely PM me to solicit a complete explanation, perhaps I'll get back to you.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:

Can we PLEASE ditch this stupid two party system? PLEASE???

Here here. The Jim Carey Drew Carey thing was funny.

But it is really the fault of Republicans. SDW don't kneejerk listen.

This is what happens when you can produce power in California and sell it to Maine. This is what deregulation means. That is just plain wrong. I don't think power, phones, or planes, or other utilities, should be run by corporations. Today I was listening to Bernie Sanders on the radio. Smart man, one of the last good Reps. He should run for President. He reminds me of Fred Tuttle (anyone outside of VT heard of him, haha) He is Independent and calls things for what they are. Republicans use "wedge" issues to divide us and pit workers vs workers instead of us vs corporations. We are losing American jobs to Chinese kids and the trade deficit is huge. Bush got away with cutting money for lots of things, separation payment, veterans, EVEN SERVICEMEN IN IRAQ RIGHT NOW. EXPLAIN THAT SDW. Now, the current power system, being run by companies, has no incentive to update transmission lines. Why? Because these are still regulated by states, which don't let the government build them where they are necessary, because they don't want them looking ugly. NIMBY. Another thing Sanders points out. States are fighting states. For example Vermont was considering whether to bend over and give IBM tax breaks, build a 3rd interstate for them, etc. Well, all states think states north, south, east and west of them have more jobs. Hello, all the jobs are going to China! But the Republicans misdirect public attention in an absolutely BRILLIANT PR move. All these token wedge issues like gay marriage. No one has a clue. The public needs to be recalled. Like the dad in Catch me if you Can said, the Yankees always win because no one can take their eyes off the pin stripes.

So there was an overload in Ohio due to a tree hitting a line and possibly another line so old an overloaded it dropped down touching another line and shorted out. Now this wouldn't be a problem except the hugely vast region of the Northeast is all interconnected and yaaaay deregulated. So, Ohio overloaded and drew power from elsewhere. All of a sudden a cascade erupted. Ontario drew tons of power from New York then surged back. NY shut down. All the power stations automatically disconnected from the grid to protect themselves. I hear Blaster slowed down the recovery. This would not have happened if power was regulated because the transmission lines, rather than being stuck in the 1950s, would be upgraded where needed.

SDW of course the Dems slammed Bush. He said the power outage was a "wakeup call." Why was he sleeping? He was on month long vacation in Crawford Texas AGAIN, but speaking to Marines in San Diego. A President that takes vacations. I STILL can't believe this puppet got (s)elected. I wish this jerk would fall down a set of stairs. After this happened if McCain or Nader or even Gore was President there would be a crackdown with RESULTS, not a bunch of show, waste of money, weird black ops stuff, Patriot Acts, and the rest of what Bush formed after 9/11. I like how he pretaped a conference after the blackout. With only 1 question, was it terrorism. What a chickenshit President. Quite possible the worst one America has ever seen. He is reminiscent of Harding except even more of a puppet. I can't wait to see this in political ads. We should have Dem ads like "Do You Want a President Who Says Electronucleotron?" I'm just predicting a future screwup in a speech.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Slow down, chief.

Quote:

What a chickenshit President. Quite possible the worst one America has ever seen. He is reminiscent of Harding except even more of a puppet.

I just cannot understand people that think like this. Believe what you like, I suppose. And believe ME, I thank God every day that Gore wasn't the one dealing with 9/11. Every day. BTW, since you obviously don't approve of the administration's actions post 9/11, what specifically would YOU have done? Or, would you just like to post more rhetorical nonsense about "cracking down" and "getting results"?

I do agree that power should be government run or heavily regulated. I also agree about water/sewer,gas, and other utilities. I do not agree on telecommunications. I suppose you can blame Republicans, but power deregulation HAS worked here in PA. Just a thought.

As far as your rambling comments on deificits and trade, you do a nice job of blaming the Republican party. In fact, it is aritificially high pay anf benefits that lead to higher corporate costs...whcih leads to jobs going overseas. Gee...I wonder who supports unreasonable pay for semi-skilled workers in unions? Could it be...the Demorcrats?
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Quote:

I just cannot understand people that think like this. Believe what you like, I suppose. And believe ME, I thank God every day that Gore wasn't the one dealing with 9/11. Every day. BTW, since you obviously don't approve of the administration's actions post 9/11, what specifically would YOU have done? Or, would you just like to post more rhetorical nonsense about "cracking down" and "getting results"?

Tell me how exactly you think Gore would have handled the situation. Also, since you thank god, do you think that Bush has god on his side?

Judge Moore was suspended. YAY!
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Exactly BR. Yes that was unbelievable I'm glad he was suspended. Religion fscks up goverment and government fscks up religion. So many people seem to forget why we came to America and what it stands for. We are a people losing their way. We have no culture any more, as a group. Some people do, the literati in the college community, the middle class intellectuals, but they're a small minority.

Quote:

I wonder who supports unreasonable pay for semi-skilled workers in unions? Could it be...the Demorcrats?

I don't mean to be nosey, but how old are you? What kind of job do you have? That is rather arrogant. Without incredible wealth and luck, you start out in the job market on the bottom and work your way up. You don't just go from college grad to cushy consultant job. I worked at Sears and I'm damn glad I get benefits and pay that Democrats fight for. You sound like a spoiled rich brat.

What would I have done post 9/11? Instead of a war on terror, I would have started a war on Hunger, Poverty, and Corporate Evil that is destroying the environment and people abroad turning them in to slaves and turning American workers out of jobs. That is compassion. "They hate us because we don't know why they hate us." Sure I would have the CIA and FBI devote lots of effort into capturing the terrorists and you better believe I'd have them executed. Sure I'd hype that in PR and media. Yes I'd have the Special Ops Army guys fight Al Quaeda. But that's where the buck stops. What happened to Afghanistan? We uprooted the government, didn't help the people, and are currently funding future terrorists most likely. Remember how Saddam got in to power?

Deregulation caused the blackout. I already explained why, look on Google for more info. If it works in PA it's lucky!
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

Exactly BR. Yes that was unbelievable I'm glad he was suspended. Religion fscks up goverment and government fscks up religion. So many people seem to forget why we came to America and what it stands for. We are a people losing their way. We have no culture any more, as a group. Some people do, the literati in the college community, the middle class intellectuals, but they're a small minority.

Now we are on to culture? Pick a topic.

Quote:

I don't mean to be nosey, but how old are you? What kind of job do you have? That is rather arrogant. Without incredible wealth and luck, you start out in the job market on the bottom and work your way up. You don't just go from college grad to cushy consultant job. I worked at Sears and I'm damn glad I get benefits and pay that Democrats fight for. You sound like a spoiled rich brat.

I'm in my late twenties. I am also IN A UNION. So, don't tell me the Democratic Party doesn't support unions, which themselves support the policies I mentioned. And BTW, I know several people that DID go from college grad to "cushy" job. As far as me being spoiled and you toiling at the Sears desk, you are wrong. I am a teacher, and as such I don't exactly make a lot of money. In my life I've worked at a deli, driven a truck, worked in a lumber yard doing exterior cleaning, and who knows how many other "not prestigious" things. I'd bet real money I have more life exerience and education than 80% of the people here. Nice try.

Quote:

What would I have done post 9/11? Instead of a war on terror, I would have started a war on Hunger, Poverty, and Corporate Evil that is destroying the environment and people abroad turning them in to slaves and turning American workers out of jobs.

You wouldn't have responded militarily? You wouldn't have gone after Al-Queda and given the FBI the power to do some of the things that ordinary Americans do..like surveil chat rooms? No....wait...you'd "start a war on Hunger and Povery"? Sorry to break this too you, be we've done those things and we have LOST the war. The reason we have lost is because the more money we SPEND on those things, the WORSE they get. The programs you are talking about were part of the Great Society. Social Welfare has made things WORSE for the poor. It has removed the incentive to work, to form families and to own private property. The government gives a welfare/assistance check to anyone who meets a certain financial criteria. It was a good idea but it is a PROVEN FAILURE. As far a the corporate world, what specifically would you like to do? The Feds have gone after the despicable people who did what they did, and there IS a war of sorts on bad accounting practices going on. Wake up...with all due respect.

Quote:

Sure I would have the CIA and FBI devote lots of effort into capturing the terrorists and you better believe I'd have them executed. Sure I'd hype that in PR and media. Yes I'd have the Special Ops Army guys fight Al Quaeda. But that's where the buck stops. What happened to Afghanistan? We uprooted the government, didn't help the people, and are currently funding future terrorists most likely. Remember how Saddam got in to power?

Seriously, you are scaring me. I don't mean to flame you, but are you shitting me??? "We didn't help the people". WHAT? We staged on of the biggest humanitarian efforts in HISTORY for these people. Moreover, we [b] haven't left the country/b]. We are helping them establish a national army. We are helping them build roads and schools. Women and girls can now actually GO to school. Men can shave their beards without fear of being beaten and/or executed in the SOCCER STADIUM. We aren't going anywhere.

Wow.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Tell me how exactly you think Gore would have handled the situation. Also, since you thank god, do you think that Bush has god on his side?

Judge Moore was suspended. YAY!

Who knows. My suspicion is that he, in an effort to look strong, may have lauched a single, massive military reprisal from the air...no ground troops. Or, he may have sent in 500,000 ground troops or something to that effect. It's moot anyway.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    Quote:

Who knows. My suspicion is that he, in an effort to look strong, may have lauched a single, massive military reprisal from the air...no ground troops. Or, he may have sent in 500,000 ground troops or something to that effect. It's moot anyway.

I see. So you suspect that Gore wouldn't listen to his experts (the generals drawing up the war plans) and make up some stupid all air or all ground assault? Wow. That idea is plain retarded.

Let me let you in on a little secret. You hate anything that isn't Republican and hence have conned yourself into believing that anyone other than a Republican would f**k things up. Of course, you can also convince yourself that the tooth fairy is visiting you every night but you still wouldn't be living in reality.

You hate Gore.

He's a dirty liberal.

Hence, Gore the dirty liberal would surrender to Afghanistan and we would all be speaking Arabic now.

Slander (or libel in this case) on applies if what is said isn't true. I hate to say it but all signs point to joke.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Quote:

I am a teacher

Please tell me you don't deal with kids that are impressionable at all in any manner.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    You are an enigma. You're a poor teacher and you hate poor people. You hate them here and abroad. Why are you such a Bush supporter if you are poor? Doesn't that make you see America and Bush for what they really are? I don't understand why someone that is intelligent and poor would vote Republican. They are for rich people wanting the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer. That is it, underneath the whole conservative façade. Wedge issues are used to distract from this.

I respect you being a teacher, that is like community service. I'm doing environmental science and I also consider this the same thing. No pay, but fighting "the good fight." I have no illusions though, I know as soon as I get out of college I'll be toiling for a few years in crap jobs. My cousin's friend is a plumber. With a forensics degree. We call him the Forensic Plumber.

My lines of reasoning are related. But back to the blackout. You are avoiding the issue. It was caused by Republican deregulation. This is just one example of how the rich people (republicans) are taking over the world. Piece by piece. War is profitable. Charity isn't. Sure war brings us newer computer tech but it isn't worth it. Remember what Eisenhower said? Beware the military industrial complex. Of course Bush probably doesn't know who Eisenhower is. I bet you a million dollars if you stopped him in the street he couldn't tell you when he was President or what his first name was. So how did he get elected? By the conspiracy of the rich people.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I see. So you suspect that Gore wouldn't listen to his experts (the generals drawing up the war plans) and make up some stupid all air or all ground assault? Wow. That idea is plain retarded.

Let me let you in on a little secret. You hate anything that isn't Republican and hence have conned yourself into believing that anyone other than a Republican would f**k things up. Of course, you can also convince yourself that the tooth fairy is visiting you every night but you still wouldn't be living in reality.

You hate Gore.

He's a dirty liberal.

Hence, Gore the dirty liberal would surrender to Afghanistan and we would all be speaking Arabic now.

Slander (or libel in this case) on applies if what is said isn't true. I hate to say it but all signs point to joke.

I don't hate Gore. I think he'd be a bad President. I also think he, in all seriousness, is a pathological liar.

As for Gore's possible response, I don't know. I suggested something he MIGHT do. You have to remember he would have had different advisors (Barbara Streisand, Ed Asner and Rosie O'Donnell to name a few).
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

You are an enigma. You're a poor teacher and you hate poor people. You hate them here and abroad. Why are you such a Bush supporter if you are poor? Doesn't that make you see America and Bush for what they really are? I don't understand why someone that is intelligent and poor would vote Republican. They are for rich people wanting the rich to get richer and the poor to get poorer. That is it, underneath the whole conservative façade. Wedge issues are used to distract from this.

First, I'm certainly not poor. I do not hate poor people, so cross that little name calling tactic out of pg. 43 of your "how to insult Republicans" manual.

Second, it is obvious you have bought the the Democratic Party's portrayal of Republicans....hook, line and sinker. If the rich get richer tha's fine. It's not the government's job to redistribute wealth...like it does now. The poor get poorer BECAUSE of social welfare programs. I would like nothing more than to eliminate poverty and hunger....but the way to do that is to only take care of those who are UNABLE to provide for themselves (as in physically or mentally unable).

Right now, we give welfare to anyone who meets a certain financial criteria. It hasn't worked. It's failed the poor and the tax base as well. Yet liberals like you just want to keep upping the ante. Amazing. do the research adn you'll see that the more we've spent on poverty in the last fifty years, the slower it's been reduced.

Quote:

My lines of reasoning are related. But back to the blackout. You are avoiding the issue. It was caused by Republican deregulation. This is just one example of how the rich people (republicans) are taking over the world. Piece by piece. War is profitable. Charity isn't. Sure war brings us newer computer tech but it isn't worth it. Remember what Eisenhower said? Beware the military industrial complex. Of course Bush probably doesn't know who Eisenhower is. I bet you a million dollars if you stopped him in the street he couldn't tell you when he was President or what his first name was. So how did he get elected? By the conspiracy of the rich people.

There is no evidence that your statment is true regarding deregulation.

On Bush...give me a break. If you think he's stupid, then I'm amazed. The man has politcally slammed the Demcrats for the past two and a half years, from two tax cuts, to the war resolution (which they did NOT want to vote for) to countless other things. And he's dumb? Think again.

"The conspiracy of the rich people".

Funny, I don't remember any of your hated "rich people" (who the Democrats define as anyone making more than 92,000 a year) passing out cigarettes for votes and busing people to the polls to vote Democratic.

If you think the Democratic party honestly cares about you...have your head examined. Seriously.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    Quote:

First, I'm certainly not poor. I do not hate poor people, so cross that little name calling tactic out of pg. 43 of your "how to insult Republicans" manual.

Second, it is obvious you have bought the the Democratic Party's portrayal of Republicans....hook, line and sinker. If the rich get richer tha's fine. It's not the government's job to redistribute wealth...like it does now. The poor get poorer BECAUSE of social welfare programs. I would like nothing more than to eliminate poverty and hunger....but the way to do that is to only take care of those who are UNABLE to provide for themselves (as in physically or mentally unable).

Right now, we give welfare to anyone who meets a certain financial criteria. It hasn't worked. It's failed the poor and the tax base as well. Yet liberals like you just want to keep upping the ante. Amazing. do the research adn you'll see that the more we've spent on poverty in the last fifty years, the slower it's been reduced.

There is no evidence that your statment is true regarding deregulation.

On Bush...give me a break. If you think he's stupid, then I'm amazed. The man has politcally slammed the Demcrats for the past two and a half years, from two tax cuts, to the war resolution (which they did NOT want to vote for) to countless other things. And he's dumb? Think again.

"The conspiracy of the rich people".

Funny, I don't remember any of your hated "rich people" (who the Democrats define as anyone making more than 92,000 a year) passing out cigarettes for votes and busing people to the polls to vote Democratic.

If you think the Democratic party honestly cares about you...have your head examined. Seriously.

Just from reading your posts I think you are what you've accused me of being in the past.

You come from an isolated pocket of people who aren't really in touch with the main stream or what's really going on.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    The real problem is that a new system will just raise the cost of energy, which will just raise rates, and screw over the poorest people the most.

Either way the govt. is likely to foot the bill for this upgrade, either through direct payments to the energy companies, or relief style payments to those who can't afford the increase.

The idea of moving energy to where it's needed is a good one, we just need the infrastructure to support it.