"wow, I've never seen a mac crash..."

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I direct a team of web designers (running OS X since 10.1). Our machines have been rock-solid stable, except yesterday my machine had issues at startup (long story, but a quick run of DiskWarrior got me back in business with no data loss). One of the younger guys in the group, who had never used a Mac before joining us, said, and I quote "wow, I've never seen a Mac crash" (btw, he's abandoned his PC at home in favor of a 15" powerbook).

Being a long-time Mac user (since System 6), I was thinking perhaps his statement was ironic. But, no, only having ever used OS X, he had literally never seen a Mac "crash." I felt, perhaps, a little old, realizing just how different his perspective on the Mac is compared to my own. I also realized just how cool it was to hear these words, from the "new generation" of Mac users.

(Mods, feel free to move to the lounge, 'though I thought people might want to hear my OS X story while waiting for more Panther news...)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Since 10.1? Impressive, especially considering Apple's track record for MacOS 7/8/9's stability.

Welcome at AI!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    Well, I must admit, my younger colleague has only been with us since 10.2 (even though 10.1 was fairly good to us).
  • Reply 3 of 37
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    How quickly history is rewritten.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Unfortunately my powerbook is having trouble waking from sleep these days.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Unfortunately my powerbook is having trouble waking from sleep these days.

Scott - I had this problem and it was quickly corrected by resetting the power manager. Now, I forget how to do it now (only had to do it twice, had to look it up on the Apple boards), so you might want to give it a try.

Btw, I figured out why I had the problem (and haven't had it since). If I mess with my USB devices (either plugging in or removing) while my PowerBook is asleep, then this problem rears it's ugly head (that's why I had to reset the power manager twice, the second time was me testing out my theory

Good luck!
  • Reply 6 of 37
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by aecheylon

One of the younger guys in the group, who had never used a Mac before joining us, said, and I quote "wow, I've never seen a Mac crash"

Wow, obviously this guy was not around during the times Apple released niceties like 7.1.2 for Powermac or 7.5.3.

7.1.2 was so cool on a brand-new 7100 - you clicked a menu like 3 or 4 times, the menu items became completely garbled on a funny colorful background and the machine crashed.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

Scott - I had this problem and it was quickly corrected by resetting the power manager. Now, I forget how to do it now (only had to do it twice, had to look it up on the Apple boards), so you might want to give it a try.

Btw, I figured out why I had the problem (and haven't had it since). If I mess with my USB devices (either plugging in or removing) while my PowerBook is asleep, then this problem rears it's ugly head (that's why I had to reset the power manager twice, the second time was me testing out my theory

Good luck!

Thanks I'll check it out. I open the PB before plugging in USB stuffs. Mostly because it wakes with the top down, so then it sleeps, then I open it and it takes a long ass time to wake again. So I open it first.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    No, my mac has never crashed, though I do often have problems with it freezing (kind of odd considering I have more then a gig of ram).
  • Reply 9 of 37
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

How quickly history is rewritten.

I just read 1984...and that sounds very conspiratorial now.

Seriously, do you think Apple would go back in time and make OS 9 seem unstable?
  • Reply 10 of 37
    It's amazing what we accepted as 9 users. Now I know how windows users feel when they just expect windows to bluescreen and don't see how much better it could be.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Code Master

It's amazing what we accepted as 9 users. Now I know how windows users feel when they just expect windows to bluescreen and don't see how much better it could be.

Or that being infected with a virus is normal.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vistago

No, my mac has never crashed, though I do often have problems with it freezing (kind of odd considering I have more then a gig of ram).

In my accounting that's the same thing.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    I had a lot of kernel panics in the 10.0 days

I had ZERO KPs in the 10.1 days

I have had roughly 7 KPs since the Jaguar days.....

One networking (with over 2 SMB volumes mounted at the same time)

Two are wake from sleep

Two are iTunes 4 (have to revert back to 3)

Two are with Cinema 4D (version 7.3 and 10.2.0's OpenGL driver conflict) until 10.2.3 was out....now C4D R8 is running super stable with Jaguar
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Heh, I have to say I love hearing things like that!

All the people at my uni use PC's. I am the only student Mac user. (Note the 'student' as a few teachers use Macs too)

Unfortunately! (GASP)

My machine crashed for the second time ever this morning. I logged out, and put my Mac to sleep on the User Login screen. When I woke her up, I got the lovely semi-transparent, multi-language "Please shut down your computer by holding the..." message. Still much nicer than the blue screen, which I see every day at uni.

Jimzip
  • Reply 15 of 37
    Yea sleep has always been a bit of a problem from desktops to portables OS 9 to OS X.

So is that what the kernal panic looks like these days? "Please shutdown your computer blah blah blah"?
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Yep. It looks kind of cool, no borders or anything, just semi-transparent, and you have the opportunity to see the same message displayed in about five languages. Of course, you then have to shut down..

Jimzip
  • Reply 17 of 37
    is there any way to disable the sleep feature in mac?
  • Reply 18 of 37
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Geez, I've crashed many times on my Mac. Many kernel panics from 10.1 to 10.2. You know, I've even had an "old style" kernel panic in 10.2 (with the text dump)! And finder mounting problems? Oh boy, that just kills finder and then my system locks up, only a restart fixes. Also some stupid bug when I wake from sleep the video card stops working and a restart has to fix (I don't even sleep it anymore).
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Geez, I've crashed many times on my Mac. Many kernel panics from 10.1 to 10.2. You know, I've even had an "old style" kernel panic in 10.2 (with the text dump)! And finder mounting problems? Oh boy, that just kills finder and then my system locks up, only a restart fixes. Also some stupid bug when I wake from sleep the video card stops working and a restart has to fix (I don't even sleep it anymore).

<Last Hope>Try reinstalling the OS</Last Hope>. I've reinstalled a few times. I get occasional kernel panics. But things are pretty good overall.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

<Last Hope>Try reinstalling the OS</Last Hope>. I've reinstalled a few times. I get occasional kernel panics. But things are pretty good overall.

Aye, I'm going to have to do that for panther. My hard disk has issues too, fsck can't repair certain issues with the drive and a reformat is needed to fix that (dunno if diskwarrior will fix it). Too much of a pain though to reinstall everything.