The river deepens, the path widens, the mountain pass melts...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 105
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Silly people. Apple is buying Moto's semiconductor division on the first of the month, to be announced at the shareholders meeting mid-July.
  • Reply 42 of 105
    sliceslice Posts: 10member
    So here's the deal... Book E has nothing to do with desktop processors. It is a spec that IBM and Moto use in embedded processors. I very much doubt we'll see it in a desktop PowerPC. There's nothing that says "Oh, Rapid-IO support... this has to be a Book E processor to support that". It's just not like that.

Also, Mot is pretty logical. Desktop processors

have been identified as 7xx and embedded processors have been identified as 8xx. Now, everyone knows that Mot took a 7xx processor

off their roadmap last year... the 7500.

So, the only "generation 5" CPUs on their roadmap

are in the 8xx group. Come on people, just think about it... there is no way Apple's next-gen chip

will come from Mot. Don't get sucked into the

e500 crap.. it's a waste of your time.
  • Reply 43 of 105
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    If Torifile's commentsturned out to be true, that's the very best news we could receive - regardless of what hardware comes out this summer. But it's probably not true. Totally BOHgus, huh Mr. HAHnd?

[ 06-28-2002: Message edited by: Moogs ]</p>
  • Reply 44 of 105
    dumpsterdumpster Posts: 16member
    [quote]Originally posted by wfzelle:

<strong>

You forget that chips shrink in two dimensions:

1.385^2 x 1.1 = 2,1

Of course, this makes it seem like a shrinking dye directly translates in more Mhz, which isn't true.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, it does. The impulse of electron movement in a typical IC is ~1/2c. For a 1GHz chip, that's about 6" per cycle--if you traces the circuit paths through the CPU, you will find much more than that distance within.

Of course, there are a lot of other factors which come into play to mitigate the gains . . . .
  • Reply 45 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by slice:

<strong>So here's the deal... Book E has nothing to do with desktop processors. It is a spec that IBM and Moto use in embedded processors. I very much doubt we'll see it in a desktop PowerPC. There's nothing that says "Oh, Rapid-IO support... this has to be a Book E processor to support that". It's just not like that.

Also, Mot is pretty logical. Desktop processors

have been identified as 7xx and embedded processors have been identified as 8xx. Now, everyone knows that Mot took a 7xx processor

off their roadmap last year... the 7500.

So, the only "generation 5" CPUs on their roadmap

are in the 8xx group. Come on people, just think about it... there is no way Apple's next-gen chip

will come from Mot. Don't get sucked into the

e500 crap.. it's a waste of your time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree.

I can't see Apple sticking w MOT much longer. They've been burned one too many times by them. I think the next generation procs will come from IBM. And i hope to see collaboration with Nvidia in the memory and graphics subsystems as well.

mika.
  • Reply 46 of 105
    programmerprogrammer Posts: 3,458member
    I bet we see at least one more rev of the G4 from Motorola, then Apple is off to somebody else's fabs. Motorola most likely wants to move the G4 core onto a RapidIO + on-chip memory controller scheme for its own reasons (its future plans seem to be heavily steeped in RIO & NUMA-style architectures). TheRegister calls this the 7500 and MOSR seems to be buying into that but on a considerably more optimistic timeline. TheRegister claimed an in-between G4 (7460) would show around now, with the 7500 showing early next year. Moki's border-line credible comments hint at something like the 7460 -- basically a 0.13 version of the G4 with a 166 MHz MPX bus, and a chipset that supports DDR. Add the SpyMac blurb and I guess I'd give more credence to the 7460 showing soon, with the 7500 coming 6 months later.
  • Reply 47 of 105
    MacBidouille also supports the 7460 theory, and claims that Apple will be using a proprietary ASIC to get the most out of the new DDR system. Maybe SYN or powerdoc can verify my translation.
  • Reply 48 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by Dead Member:

<strong>MacBidouille also supports the 7460 theory, and claims that Apple will be using a proprietary ASIC to get the most out of the new DDR system. Maybe SYN or powerdoc can verify my translation.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's exactly what they're saying.
  • Reply 49 of 105
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    river deepens = DDR

Path Widens = 166 Mhz FSB

Mountain pass melts = DDR on board controller?? RIO?
  • Reply 50 of 105
    When did MOTO remove the 7500 from their processor progression chart?
  • Reply 51 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by Bigc:

<strong>river deepens = DDR

Mountain pass melts = DDR on board controller?? RIO?</strong><hr></blockquote>

i don't know, i'd think it was more like this...

river deepens = deeper pipeline (as has been hinted at by many sources)

path widens = 64 bit

mountain pass melts = who knows...
  • Reply 52 of 105
    sliceslice Posts: 10member

<strong>When did MOTO remove the 7500 from their processor progression chart?</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's been over a year now. I think this is a clear

indication about what's been going.
  • Reply 53 of 105
    so apples had at least a year
  • Reply 54 of 105
    aphelionaphelion Posts: 736member
    [quote]Originally posted by torifile:

<strong>Silly people. Apple is buying Moto's semiconductor division on the first of the month, to be announced at the shareholders meeting mid-July. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Well since an announcement of such a major purchase would typically cause a significant drop in AAPL shares, it might explain the top executive's sell off of Apple stock. Also the news of 1 GHz upgrades being available in the aftermarket might be a result of Moto dumping existing stocks of G4's into that market.
  • Reply 55 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

mountain pass melts = who knows...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Processors running hotter?
  • Reply 56 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by Aphelion:

<strong>

Well since an announcement of such a major purchase would typically cause a significant drop in AAPL shares, it might explain the top executive's sell off of Apple stock. Also the news of 1 GHz upgrades being available in the aftermarket might be a result of Moto dumping existing stocks of G4's into that market.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I thought they exercised options that came up. If you don't sell them you have to pay taxes on the gain anyway, so you have to sell some to pay the taxes or spend your own money!!!!
  • Reply 57 of 105
    [quote]Originally posted by BobtheTomato:

<strong>

Processors running hotter?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh goodie a puzzle game for mac OS X.

Mountain pass 1 gb/s bandwidth??
  • Reply 58 of 105

river deepens = DDR

Mountain pass melts = DDR on board controller?? RIO?<hr></blockquote>

Angels sing!

Then AI boards b!tch and moan, because it still doesn't beat Intel/AMD or slice bread or use random computer TLAs that everybody else has.

Heck, I'd be happy. I don't even have a real computer. To post on these boards, I have to beep spastically into my telephone.
  • Reply 59 of 105
    Good beeper ya got.
  • Reply 60 of 105
    Mountain Pass = El Capitan?