General consensus of current G5 owners

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    yea there's one by me in someplace called SoHo

Also they got one in Datavision that I glanced at briefly. I dunno it's weird I don't want to go near one till I get my dual at work.

One: cuz if I play with one it will make the wait even harder,

and Two: I want to be completely amazed when I get it and open it.
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by opuscroakus

Does anyone know of or have a G5 that has the (legal) beta of Panther running on it?

Ok, I can't say much about it, but I can say that it is VERY FAST, VERY STABLE, and you will love it!! I have had my G5 1.8 for just over a week, and other than the fact that the ethernet port is dead, the machine is running wonderfully. I did install Panther on it and it works great. **Speculation Spot** I would guess that Panther is not far off from going gold master.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by joe_it

Ok, I can't say much about it, but I can say that it is VERY FAST, VERY STABLE, and you will love it!! I have had my G5 1.8 for just over a week, and other than the fact that the ethernet port is dead, the machine is running wonderfully. I did install Panther on it and it works great. **Speculation Spot** I would guess that Panther is not far off from going gold master.

Cool...ethernet ports aren't important anyways. \
  • Reply 24 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by joe_it

Ok, I can't say much about it, but I can say that it is VERY FAST, VERY STABLE, and you will love it!!

Quote:

Originally posted by Ti Fighter

yeay!! <dances on table>

• Reply 25 of 33
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

Cool...ethernet ports aren't important anyways. \

For once you made me laugh.

I went to the Walnut Creek store to check out the G5's. My friend who has a dual 1.25 G4 said that the 1.8 G5 feels a bit faster then his. The case's quality and aesthetics are amazing. Durable, sleek, high quality - it all has this power essence. Even the sound coming out of it has a "power" quality to it. Looking through the holes I could see the fans spinning, placing my hear next to them I could hear a soothing hummm, different from any other fan sound I've heard before. It's a sound that does not annoy you, much like a panther purring in it's sleep.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    1.8 stock

Overall, a very good purchase. I'm quite happy.

Machine runs very quiet.

Sitting in a silent room with just it on... it makes a slight hum. I'd venture to say that it's even quieter than my dual USB iBook (first gen 500 mhz)

One complaint... stock RAM is low and vid card is iffy. Framerates on UT2K3 to me are sub-par. Running at 1024 with 32 bit color, high world and texture detail and normal model detail I get a very large range of framerates. Offhand I'd say between 20 and 40 at most. Decent, but certain "jumps" seem to be due to a lack of RAM.

Overall I'm giddy. If you have the cash get one.

Now!
  • Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

!! are you serious !! I thought people were saying window resizing was still a problem even on the dual 2ghz.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time believing that too.

Window resizing on the g5 at the SoHo Apple store is terrible (well, just not markedly improved from what we're used to on g4-based machines). I tried iTunes (not good), Safari (really not good), and iPhoto (forget about it).

I'm still holding out hope that Apple computer will soon make an OS and a computer that can effectively re-size (the largely text-based) iTunes....\
  • Reply 28 of 33
    I love my 1.8. No problems at all. Works fast, no sound from the fans (unless you pull off the cover!).

Couldn't be happier with my machine, unless it came with a two button mouse. Don't get me started.

Just made my first video on it last night. Didn't even break a sweat.

Get one.
  • Reply 29 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by neurokid

can effectively re-size (the largely text-based) iTunes....

...except that it's far more complicated than that.

From a discussion a few weeks ago about window resizing:

Quote:

Originally posted by costique

1. My iTunes window has 4 list views (in the browser mode), the top view with the timer/frequency-amplitude graph. It has texture, 3 standard semaphore widgets and 1 standard resize widget. It has a translucent shadow.

2. Each of the list views is NSTableView. NSTableViews work with data sources, that is, there are several methods you define which get called for every NSCell in the view. NSCell is the intersection of a column and a row in an NSTableView. The song list in my config has 6 columns and 15 rows, plus the header. It amounts to approximately > 100 NSCells.

3. Every time you resize the window by 1 pixel, you get at least 3 application-wide notifications sent one after another. They are slow. Much slower than just calling a function in C.

4. For every live resize cycle the graphic subsystem draws > 100 NSCells, each of which contains anti-aliased text, which may generally reflow. The text has to be laid out and anti-aliased again.

5. The top view changes its position and has to be drawn again. So is the window title.

All this is drawn into the window's backing store. AFAIK, none of these can be done in a graphic accelerator. The CPU is busy laying out Unicode glyphs in a sophisticated manner and smoothing their shape, drawing NSCells' interior, calculating their relative sizes, etc.

6. Compositing all this stuff is reasonably fast if you have Quartz Extreme. To recompute and redraw the window shadow and resize the metal texture will add to CPU load if you don't have QE.

7. I am not sure about this, really, but to ensure smooth redrawing without flicker you have to sync with vertical screen refresh frequency. If so, there may be additional delays to smooth the process.

I am not trying to say that window resizing must be slow. I was only trying to explain what happens behind the scenes. Remember that you cannot say the window is resized until it is fully redrawn, that is, all the steps are completed. This is an issue with Mac OS X structure. If Apple engineers manage to make it faster than in Windows on similar hardware, you will owe them a standing ovation.

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!
  • Reply 30 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

...except that it's far more complicated than that.

From a discussion a few weeks ago about window resizing:

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

My head hurts after reading that! All I know is that scrolling is smooth and window resizing seems to work just fine on my 1.8..

Joe
  • Reply 31 of 33
    he-he this is silly, how can we have one person saying that on a dual 2ghz at the apple store, window resizing is not much improved and then others saying its awsome on a 1.8!
  • Reply 32 of 33
    Quote:

he-he this is silly, how can we have one person saying that on a dual 2ghz at the apple store, window resizing is not much improved and then others saying its awsome on a 1.8!

I wonder if some people weren't trying the 1.6 with 256MB of RAM. I have the 1.8 which I have upgraded to 2.5 GB of RAM. That could have something to do with my increased performance, but that is not under any type of load. In addition, people might also be looking at a machine with X number of applications open.

These tests were not done under controlled conditions so I would venture to say that we are not comparing an "Apples to Apples" scenario here. Lets wait to see 2 computers, 1.6 and 2Ghz taken out of the box and connected to the network. (side by side) Again, you are talking some different specs but it would let you know what you could expect when you purchase the base model..

Joe
  • Reply 33 of 33
    Hopefully I am happy with G5.