Cancelled my dual G5 order. Another month delay!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So my dual was supposed to ship yesterday. Day comes and goes, no product, no update. I figure i'll just check on the status today. I call up my order and now where it said 9/23 there's a 10/29.

A MONTH, AGAIN!

Sorry, this time they went too far. I called them up and ask what is going on with my order. The gal on the phone says she has no idea, but that the new ship date is accurate. I tell her if that?s the best they can do, cancel my order because there?s no reason I should think this new date is any more solid than the last two I?ve gotten from Apple. She says she?ll talk to her supervisor. When she makes it back, it amounts to there?s nothing really they can do, and she has no idea why the order was delayed. I tell her to cancel my order, and hang up.

Now I?m screwed. I?ve got backup services that are supposed to go live soon (as in I?ll be charging for them) and no machine to work with. I decide a G5 was great, but not worth the wait and decide to just pick up a dual G4 instead. So I call up my local Apple Store.

The conversation went like this.

Me: do you have any duals in stock?

Them: yeah, we just got 12 in yesterday

Me: what about G5?s, do you have any of those in stock? (thinking a 1.8 would be nice too)

Them: yeah, I just said we have 12 in stock as of last night.

So, my order placed back in July is delayed until October, and they have Dual G5?s in stock 30 minutes away. I told him to hold one and went down and pick up my new G5 with a 23? Cinema display. Today was a good day. Moral of the story? I?m never preordering anything from Apple again. Way too much work and most of the time it?s as fast or faster to pick it up from an Apple store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Jeez-louise, that sucks! Well, it turns out good, of course, but leading UP to that is awful.

I have NEVER, EVER had a good, hassle-free experience ordering online (not just Apple, but any mail order, etc.).

It's a constant cluster-f*** of people not having a clue, getting 3 different stories depending on who I talk to, broken promises, delays, etc.

They'll gladly TAKE your money, won't they? But try and cancel or whatever and you open up this logistical pain-in-the-butt that I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.

Ordered my tangerine iMac DV from MacWarehouse a few years ago. OMG!!! What a zoo. Never again. Accessories and peripherals, from various catalogs? Same thing.

I bought my current iMac at the San Diego Apple Store and something tells me I'll be making the 2-hour schlep down to Atlanta to get my PowerBook too. But that's okay.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    So the Apple online store had none in stock, but the local Apple store had 12 in stock? Man that IS weird. Stuff like that shouldn't happen, but probably happened because Apple wants to promote the G5s in the local stores where people will buy more accessories.

On the bright side, you at least got the machine. Of course, the waiting and the hassle does really suck.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I ended up buying a 1.8 because I was really not interested in waiting an extra month for the 2x2. I think the 2x2 is the best deal (if it does indeed exist,) but in the end spending another $600 + waiting another month just didn't seem worth it.\
  • Reply 4 of 33
    What date did you pre-order on?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    I'm eyeing my alleged 9/25 ship date for my new 12" PowerBook with growing suspicion, but since I want a bigger drive installed (80GB instead of 40GB), I don't think going to a brick-and-mortar store will help. They'd simply have to turn around and have to place an order through (I would imagine) pretty much the same system that processes online orders.

As for my dual G5... I have an order in at a local Mac reseller (MacEdge, same town I live in) to get the first G5 that they receive. Unlike alcimedes, my nearest Apple Store (about 20 miles from home) doesn't have dual G5s yet, but they told me I should call back tonight or tomorrow. If the Apple Store gets their duals first, I'll just cancel my MacEdge order and go to the Apple Store.

Who knows? I might have a new dual G5 as soon as tonight.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I am happy to have order my dual to a local mac reseller and not to the Apple store.

I expect that you appreciate your new dualie alcimedes and that you will grant us your first impressions.

What amount of Ram did you have in your new beast ?
  • Reply 7 of 33
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

So my dual was supposed to ship yesterday. Day comes and goes, no product, no update. I figure i'll just check on the status today. I call up my order and now where it said 9/23 there's a 10/29.

Since you got your machine I can tell you this...

Same thing happened to me yesterday - almost. I got the "10/29" date on the page, with no email or anything. Since I had ordered right after the WWDC Keynote on 6/23, and already had the one delay from Aug 29 to Sept 23 ship date, I was ready to blow a hose.

Literally less than 30 minutes later, the web page said "Shipped".

That was yesterday, and FedEx Ground has it in San Jose already, from Sacramento, for delivery today.

So odds are there is a glitch that the system reschedules a ship date when it reaches a certain time, and then the fact that it has shipped has to be added manually. Poor design.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    OMG this thing rules.

i'll try to do photos tomorrow.

edit: cleaned up due to pet peeves.
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

i'll try and do photos tomorrow.

Aaaagh! Pet peeve! I think you meant "try to do".

Anyway, congrats!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anonymous Karma

Aaaagh! Pet peeve! I think you meant "try to do".

Anyway, congrats!

Thank God this bugs somebody else too. I was going to correct it but restrained myself at the last minute. Glad you weren't able to.

Anyway, back OT?

Alcimedes, looking forward to your full review. Congrats!
  • Reply 11 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I think it's a Minnesota thing, maybe. Kind of like pronouncing the state "Minna-SODA," which is the only time Minnesotans ever say the word "soda" anyway (it's pop, not soda here).

Enjoy your new machine Alcimedes!
  • Reply 12 of 33
    I alwase had the impression whenever you order something from apple it takes a really long time, I really don't know why this is

just called macmall, they say that all their back orders for the dual will be filled and shipped out by this comming tuesday. I think he said they are getting a shipment tomorrow and then on tuesday. same for the new 12 powerbook btw.

got my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

I think it's a Minnesota thing, maybe. Kind of like pronouncing the state "Minna-SODA," which is the only time Minnesotans ever say the word "soda" anyway (it's pop, not soda here).

Kinda like saying "Megamall" too.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Moral of the story? I?m never preordering anything from Apple again. Way too much work and most of the time it?s as fast or faster to pick it up from an Apple store.

Funny thing is virtually every time I've preordered anything from anyone I've ended up with it later than people who didn't bother and just went down to their local store. Something is seriously wrong with most companies and how they handle preorders.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    Ok, first impressions. I?ll try and do more tomorrow after I?ve actually had a chance to use it, and follow up with something in a week or so if there?s anything new. All I can really talk about now is hardware etc, haven?t had a chance to run it with truly taxxing applications.

The hardware is great. Completely amazing. Great lines, great look. Feels great, something that doesn?t really matter, but is a nice plus anyway.

Machine was a snap to take apart. I bought it with the standard 512MB of RAM, and had an additional 2GB waiting to go in the machine. It took me 10 seconds to get the machine apart and the fans out. Very slick system with the fans, BTW. They slide in and out like nothing, although I wasn?t as impressed with the plastic guide rails, metal would have been a nicer touch. I had it running with the side off for a bit, but with my desk setup, I ended up with it facing the wrong way to leave the insides exposed, so put the metal side back on. (top that off with the fact I?m trying to clean up my office, and that?s just fine)

The only thing I had on hand to test out the processors was SETI. IIRC, it took my 800Mhz Ti about 17+ hours to complete one unit. The G5 was finishing them in 2.2 hours each. I?ll bring a camera to work tomorrow and take photos, and if people have things they want me to run let me know.
  • Reply 16 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Never pre-order. This is my gold key
  • Reply 17 of 33
    only reason I did was I did not want the gimped retail 9800 version. Sucks butt cheeks they don't offer them as a seperate part. I know they did with the geforce3 and geforce 4 but not taking a chance. Sounds like the levels are reaching peak. If third parties and apple stores are getting them must be something holding the dam custom ones up
  • Reply 18 of 33
    As someone who got the missed date email on Monday, I am pleased to say mine is on the way. I really do think the new emails with far off dates are automatic when your day comes and the system sees your order hasn'y shipped yet.

But it also seems like LOTS of machines are shipping this week. Apple seems to be busting ass to get machines out. The problem is that they should have been shipping at this momentum last week so as to not miss all those 9/22 and 9/23 dates. You'd think they could have been a little more forthcoming with the forecasts, and before the last scheduled ship date as well.

I think most of us would have been a lot less frustrated/angry/homicidal if Apple had been up front about missed deadlines, and offered some explanations!
  • Reply 19 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by Elderloc

If third parties and apple stores are getting them must be something holding the dam custom ones up

Rumor has it that 1 Gig Memory Modules and 250GB Hard Drives are causing delays.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LudwigVan

Kinda like saying "Megamall" too.

What? I haven't heard many people call it the "Megamall." I just call it the Mall of America. Everyone makes a big deal of it though... I don't get it. It's basically four or five malls connected together with a lame amusement park in the middle.

Also I don't like how both the Apple stores in Minnesota are in the south metro! Why can't they also have one in downtown Minneapolis or St. Paul, or in some direction other than south? It doesn't seem to make sense to me.