That Red motherboard on Ebay...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    jet powersjet powers Posts: 288member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

As for the apparent revelation that apple was messing around with DDR before the release of the DigAudio G4, I am not surprised, in fact i'd go so far to say that they we're 'messing around' with DDR since its inception - but never included it on the board for one of the two following reasons - 1. too expensive, or 2. they couldn't get it too work well enough to release it..

<hr></blockquote>

There is a simpler reason: Motorola's cpu doesn't support DDR, ergo Apple never bothered to incorporate into their products.

ting5

[ 07-10-2002: Message edited by: Yet Another Registration ]</p>
  • Reply 22 of 34
    synapsesynapse Posts: 12member
    I dont know if this has been mentioned or not, but that red MOBO would have to be on the left side of the case, not the right side like the current cases have. Just my 2¢
  • Reply 23 of 34
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    [quote]Originally posted by Agent Cooper:

<strong>No, it takes time to perfect the mainboard architecture, remember firewire was around in proto boards for a LOONG time before its debut on the B&W Yosemite G3.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks for clearing that up for me, people. I don't know enough about motherboards to tell that my sight.

I'm not trying to nit-pick or anything, Agent Cooper, but IIRC, FireWire was available as a BTO option on the beige Gossamer G3s. I guess you're talking about it being standard on all machines and that it's not a huge time difference, but it would place FireWire's availabilty about 6 months earlier.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    You're absolutely right, I had overlooked the BTO on the Gossamer G3s, but you're also correct in that I was refering to it as a standard fixure.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    They did not offer FireWire as a BTO option on Beige G3s. It would have been via PCI card. Since I bought one of thes machines, I clearly remember not seeing an option for it...otherwise I would have selected that option.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Having overlooked it initially, and having been corrected, and now re-corrected, I cannot personally confirm nor deny the BTO option of Firewire on Gossamer G3s.

as I said, I was refering to the presesnce of FW on Prototype boards as a standard feature long before it was intially released - making an analogy to the presence of DDR slots on the Red MLB which appears to have been fabbed pre-digital audio.

So much confusion...
  • Reply 27 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>They did not offer FireWire as a BTO option on Beige G3s. It would have been via PCI card. Since I bought one of thes machines, I clearly remember not seeing an option for it...otherwise I would have selected that option.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Apple did offer a PCI-based FireWire card as a BTO option before the Blue & White G3s. It supported the original FireWire spec at 100 and 200 Mbps.
  • Reply 28 of 34

<strong>They did not offer FireWire as a BTO option on Beige G3s. It would have been via PCI card. Since I bought one of thes machines, I clearly remember not seeing an option for it...otherwise I would have selected that option.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I bought one too, but it was a long time ago, so I could be thinking of something else. Sorry to have sidetracked the converstaion, folks.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    I dont see a modem. All current macs (with the exception of the Server G4 and XServe) have modems. That said, i tlooks like a pre-XServe Server G4.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by Andrew Chernosky:

<strong>I dont see a modem. All current macs (with the exception of the Server G4 and XServe) have modems. That said, i tlooks like a pre-XServe Server G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

On current towers, the modem is not attached to the mobo (as evident by the fact that it is a BTO option). The modem would be mounted on the back of the case, just above the mobo with a cable attaching it.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    [quote]Originally posted by King Chung Huang:

<strong>

Apple did offer a PCI-based FireWire card as a BTO option before the Blue & White G3s. It supported the original FireWire spec at 100 and 200 Mbps.</strong><hr></blockquote>

They did? I definitely don't remember seeing it as an option in November 1997. And I've never seen anybody talk about them before.
  • Reply 32 of 34

<strong>

They did? I definitely don't remember seeing it as an option in November 1997. And I've never seen anybody talk about them before.</strong><hr></blockquote>

FireWire wasn't a real big deal back then. It wasn't widespread enough for people to talk about. Or at least that's my interpretation.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    maybe apple skips that audio amplifier on the mobo of the next powermac ...
  • Reply 34 of 34
    [quote]Originally posted by berlinchris:

<strong>maybe apple skips that audio amplifier on the mobo of the next powermac ...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I doubt they'd drop a feature like that. If they droped the Digital Audio amplifier, then they'd have to drop the digital audio port off the back of the case - which would mean they'd no longer support the apple pro speakers they've hyped up so much.

The only possibility i can think of would be that they consolodated the digital audio amp hardware to take up less space and ergo make it less apparent. I definitely don't see anything on this board that resembles the Digital Auidio Amp hardware that is on the Current boards - if they've come up with new hardware or shrunk the existing hardware, i wouldn't know to recognize it.