Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 588
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SonOfSylvanus

Cool! Congrats. I can't wait for that first AI post/iTunes rip/DVD movie on my first Mac.

Which PB did you go for? Combo or SD? 4200RPM or 5400?

15" 1.25GHz completely stock except I downgraded the SuperDrive.

I can't wait to take it into school, but I'll need to get a case for it first. Perhaps next weekend when I have more money.
  • Reply 22 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I'm going to buy a nice padded sleeve for it. Probably this one because I already have a cool little slim, small-ish backpack that I totally dig (dark gray, trimmed in - you guessed it - orange).

I just don't want the PowerBook itself flopping around inside it, so I need to buy a padded, cushioned sleeve to actually slide the PowerBook into.

But it's kinda thin and longer (it's not your typical big, bulky and deep - front to back - backpack), so it'll perfectly hold the 15" PowerBook. And it's got about 412 zippers, pouches, pockets, hidden areas, etc. for a mouse, power supply, a cable or two, etc.

Best part? Wal-Mart, $7 on a recent "back to school" clearance sale (it was something like $21 only a few days earlier.

• Reply 23 of 588
    Sadly, my 15-inch PowerBook has gone back to Apple. My battery life was horrendous and it turned into an oven after it was on for an hour and a half. It could flip it over and fry and egg on it. Since I purchased it through the Apple Store for Education, Apple said I could either get a replacement battery or return it. I was going to get the replacement battery, but then after a co-worker complained hers came with a broken latch, I decided to return it. I should wait until Apple gets the kinks worked out of the assembly line. The co-worker is going to return hers and downgrade to a 12-inch SD model. I might go that route too, and get the 20-inch display for when I'm here at the house. Sort of the pscates idea. I'm still not sure yet.

I liked the 15-inch. Maybe the 1Ghz model doesn't have as many problems? I don't know. Now that I'm back to square one, I go back and forth. Given the problems I have had over the last two years with the 15-inch models, I'm really conflicted. Although I must say this Ti867 I bought in March to tide me over has worked great. Fans are noisy at times, but that doesn't really bother me, and it doesn't run hot. For some reason, the Ti's screen feels more square than the aluminum 15-inch (perception).
  • Reply 24 of 588
    See? I'm sorry, but there's DEFINITELY something up with the new PowerBooks. No, not every one. But do you all recall an Apple product launch (since the second Jobs era) that has seemed to sprout so many little issues?

Again, I'm not talking heat or whatever. I'm talking serious, no-two-ways-about-it, "this is WRONG" type of stuff: latches, white spots, battery problems, etc.

It took so long for these things to arrive and it just seems that there are 3 or 4 recurring issues that I've seen talked about all over the 'net.

Odd.

Someone linked to a site that was apparently some internal Apple tracking file of their "known issues".

Just makes me want to wait a bit longer, to see what's what. I mean, I'm not there on money yet anyway, so this all kinda works out nicely I guess.

Believe me...I have NO patience and practically ZERO tolerance for dropping a couple of grand on something and have it all fücked up 3 or 4 different ways. I'd be livid.

I'd lose my mind if I had to - after getting everything installed, configured, set-up, dialed-in, etc. - pack my new PowerBook back up and send it back and quibbledick back and forth with Apple and/or some retailer.

No thanks...
  • Reply 25 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I'd lose my mind if I had to - after getting everything installed, configured, set-up, dialed-in, etc. - pack my new PowerBook back up and send it back

Welcome to my world. I get all the software installed and configured the way I want it...then have to send it back is a major buzzkill. Your observations seem right on about issues with the 15-inch. Which, having had previous problems with the 15-inch, I've somewhat eliminated getting a 15-inch all together. It's either the 12- or the 17-inch; I just have to decide whether I want to have the portability and the screen at home; or the 17-inch widescreen everywhere I go. I have the weekend to think it over. I need to do something. I'm not a fan of the Ti either. _ DH _
  • Reply 26 of 588
    just curious, is the 17 the same as the 15 except for the size? if so, are the 17 having these problems too?
  • Reply 27 of 588
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Quote:

The co-worker is going to return hers and downgrade to a 12-inch SD model.

I don't consider the 12" to be a downgrade. Especially rev B.
  • Reply 28 of 588
    While I wish I had some more time with this machine before I posted anything, here goes my first impressions.

Display: zero problems. VERY bright (haven't had it above 50% all day). No stuck pixels of any color. No white spots (I can't entirely tell what the issue is, but I've been assured that if I'm not seeing anything on a pure white screen, there is no issue).

Latch: 100% fine.

Hardware: seems fine. Installed the second 512 stick no problem (except finding a (*$&!! phillips screwdriver small enough!).

Battery: I charged the battery (started above 80%) when I first opened her up, and got a total of 2:45 off that charge. No intense work on that, though. Right now I'm bringing it back up to 100%, and I'll run it to sleep and report back.

Heat: It's hot, but remember, I'm coming off a Pismo. As others have mentioned, the heat is localized on the back underside 1/3, and back top 1/5 or so (keyboard is not hot).

Keyboard: I really like this keyboard. The action is very nice. The lack of flex with respect to the Tis and earlier PBs is apparent, and welcome. Trackpad is taking some getting used to, but the Pismo has a veritable speedbump for a button compared to this machine.

Airport: working off a 1st Gen base station; reception is at least as good as it was with my Pismo. More fluctuation in signal, however.

I'm going to try and restore my Pismo files now. Hopefully that won't take the age of the universe!
  • Reply 29 of 588
    Well everyone, I'd just like to say that my new 15" PB is everything I had hoped for and more. Furthermore, I have not found a single flaw in it, and believe me I've looked. I've put every color background I can find on it and can't find a single bad pixel or white out area. I have watched a movie on it and it looked incredibly sharp. The heat isn't near the issue all the dramatic people seem to make it out to be. Yes, it's warm. Will it burn you? Hell no. The migration from my 600 MHz iBook was a snap as well with the help of .Mac and iSync. I had also read in another thread about holding my iBook's T key down while turning it on with it connected to my new PB with a firewire. It was a breeze getting my stuff from one to the other. I hope you all look forward to getting PB's and if mine is an indication of what everyone else's will be like, I think you'll all be VERY pleased with them.
  • Reply 30 of 588
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I've always heard it's a good idea to 'calibrate' a new battery by charging it to full first, then immediately draining it down until the unit shuts off.

Supposed to increase battery life short, and long, term.

So I heard.
  • Reply 31 of 588
    Well its interesting and reassuring to read these first impressions guys... here's mine and a request for a little advice

Got mine about a week ago - 1.25 SupaDrive model - what can I say its an amazing machine - the best Mac I have ever used! however I think I have been unlucky and got one with some white spots on the screen, plus battery life is a drag! (yes I have done the PMU reset and all the other recommended procedures but i still can't get much more then 2 hours out of it)

Good points:

1. Screen Brightness

2. Keyboard - the illumination is very cool and the overall quality is top notch

3. performance - its really fast! Digital performer screams on it even with heavy software synths etc...

4. Quiet yes this baby is very quiet - it can get a little warm but that's no biggie since the bits that warm up are not the palm rests or the keyboard and thankfully the fan only kicks in when the machine is being seriously stressed and then stops quickly.

5. Look and feel of the thing is phenomenal its so beautiful and well built - its the Mercedes Benz of laptops!

6. I have not had any issues with the latch or pixels or any other issue apart from the white spots.

Bad points:

1. White spots - grrr very annoying - three of those one which is quite notable - looks like a finger smudge on the screen approx. 10mm wide - shows really well when over a light colored background.

2. Battery life - this is not good and i need decent battery performance - don't know what to do...

I wonder what do you people suggest I do about my problematic screen - is it worth calling apple up about this and demanding a replacement? has anyone received a replacement for such a problem - I'm getting attached to my new friend now and i need to decide soon, before it gets too hard to say goodbye ...
  • Reply 32 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by rashumon

Well its interesting and reassuring to read these first impressions guys... here's mine and a request for a little advice

Got mine about a week ago - 1.25 SupaDrive model - what can I say its an amazing machine - the best Mac I have ever used! however I think I have been unlucky and got one with some white spots on the screen, plus battery life is a drag! (yes I have done the PMU reset and all the other recommended procedures but i still can't get much more then 2 hours out of it)

Good points:

1. Screen Brightness

2. Keyboard - the illumination is very cool and the overall quality is top notch

3. performance - its really fast! Digital performer screams on it even with heavy software synths etc...

4. Quiet yes this baby is very quiet - it can get a little warm but that's no biggie since the bits that warm up are not the palm rests or the keyboard and thankfully the fan only kicks in when the machine is being seriously stressed and then stops quickly.

5. Look and feel of the thing is phenomenal its so beautiful and well built - its the Mercedes Benz of laptops!

6. I have not had any issues with the latch or pixels or any other issue apart from the white spots.

Bad points:

1. White spots - grrr very annoying - three of those one which is quite notable - looks like a finger smudge on the screen approx. 10mm wide - shows really well when over a light colored background.

2. Battery life - this is not good and i need decent battery performance - don't know what to do...

I wonder what do you people suggest I do about my problematic screen - is it worth calling apple up about this and demanding a replacement? has anyone received a replacement for such a problem - I'm getting attached to my new friend now and i need to decide soon, before it gets too hard to say goodbye ...

Hmmm.....let me put it to you this way.

As you say, this machine is the "Mercedes Benz" of laptops right? OK. So you go and fork out good money for your Mercedes and you notice that there is a large tear in the leather of the back seat or a decent scratch in the paintwork or a rattle in the engine etc (you get my drift) do you go on and hope it goes away or ignore it, remembering you've paid good $$$ for this. Something that irks you every day that you drive the car. Weeks and months of saving, doing without things so you can have this Mercedes, not to mention the 6 month delay in getting the colour you wanted!!!

Send it back and get a unit that is worth the $$ you paid for!! After all, this ain't PC dollars we are paying here. If Apple want to charge us premium dollars, they can give me a premium product.....nothing second rate cos my money ain't.
  • Reply 33 of 588
    People, as I said earlier: things might be changing.

When Apple drops its PB prices, something has to give. If something goes up, something is bound to come down ... Apple's new market expansion policy has arrived !
  • Reply 34 of 588
    Well that's horseshit. Their prices are the the SAME (we're not talking about the 17" model, which dropped $300. BTW, I'm not hearing stories about it, so...

What prices were dropped?

And I'm sorry: even if they WERE, that doesn't - and shouldn't - suddenly mean that you roll the dice with your $2599 and get a sub-par product. As someone stated above, you pay a premium with Apple gear. And I don't mind because it is a superior product. What I do mind is saving and saving and forking it over and finding that the latch doesn't hold, there are white spots over the screen, etc.

That isn't acceptable AT ALL and only a complete idiot would accept that as "oh well, that's just the price of doing business...".

For $2599, it had better be PERFECT...or as damn close to perfect as something like a man-made tech device can get (no funky latch, no screwed-up screen, etc.).
  • Reply 35 of 588
    Quote:

"Well that's horseshit....only a complete idiot would accept...".

"Always be kind."

-Henry James
  • Reply 36 of 588
    HEAT?! Bring on the heat...it's freezing here in Milwaukee, and I could use a lap warmer . Anyway, I too am getting rather concerned. I am on the phone with Apple now waiting to cancel my order (some guy at MacNN got a free wireless keyboard after threatening to cancel his order) and go to my Apple store and get a stock 15" 1.25Ghz...I don't want both RAM slots occupied, but if it means getting a perfect powerbook, so be it. That and I need to return the printer and iPod I got with the edu rebate and repurchase it.
  • Reply 37 of 588
    rashumon,

Call up Apple or go to where you purchased your laptop. Apple has been replacing PowerBooks with white spots on the screen. I haven't had the problem personally (knock on wood) but in other threads people have said they've been getting replacement laptops.

Don't settle for less than perfect, as has been mentioned before.

Also, someone said they don't remember any releases as problem-plagued as the new PowerBooks. I say, harken back to 2001, when the original PowerBook G4s were released. Remember the DVD problems EVERYONE had? I would imagine almost all of the first batch had the DVD problem due to misaligned of the optical drive at the factory.

That being said, I'm psyched that I received a PB in mint condition.
  • Reply 38 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nessie "Always be kind."

-Henry James

a) It IS horseshit to expect that paying a gob of money for something should result in a defective, sub-par product...and that we shouldn't be too put off by that. What isn't clear about this? Would you do this in real life? Didn't think so.

b) I wasn't referring to anyone here as an "idiot" at all. I said anyone who thinks or believes "a" above is an idiot. That MIGHT be people here, but I'd like to think it's not. But I'm sure, out in the world, there may be those types. And they would be idiots. That's an idiotic way to think and go through life (blithely accepting every screwjob that comes your way).

c) I'm very kind. I'll look through my Bartlett's Quote book today to find something to counter with...

[Edit: delete the rest...it was just too hastily snide mean...been a weird morning...sorry...nothing like waking up to a Saturday and hearing bad news at 8am]
  • Reply 39 of 588
    Well, here's my 15" AlBook experience:

Wanted to buy in person as I do with any rev. A purchase. Unitek offered $100 off for a cash purchase and 1 GB of RAM for $165, so I headed there. Got the machine home (should have checked it there) and the latch was completely broken. Couldn't get the lid to stayed closed even once. To make matters worse the RAM they sold me was bad and I was getting KPs every five minutes.

Took it back next day, and made them give me a new PB with new RAM. I insisted on being in their repair room the whole time to watch them take a new Powerbook and new RAM out of their sealed containers. Unitek can be pretty slimy, and they did NOT want me watching the replacement process. Good thing I did.

Anyway, second machine is perfect. No problems of any kind. Noticeably faster than my 1 GHz TiBook, especially in DVD authoring and Warcraft III. Internal bluetooth to my 3650 rocks also. Build quality is outstanding and in my opinion makes the TiBook sitting next to it look suddenly cheap and plastic.

If anyone in the LA area wants to pick up my loaded, mint TiBook with unregistered AppleCare, send me a PM.
  • Reply 40 of 588
    Quote:

See? I'm sorry, but there's DEFINITELY something up with the new PowerBooks. No, not every one. But do you all recall an Apple product launch (since the second Jobs era) that has seemed to sprout so many little issues? ....

How about the earlier Ti PBs that batteries falling out, CDs and DVDs that couldn't eject or that were scratched on the way in and out? How about the notorious chipping paint on Ti? How about the hinge problems on the Ti? How about heat issues with the 12" PB? How about airport reception on the Ti PB?

Overall this has been a very clean launch of a new product. The problems found are not pleasant for the purchaser but Apple seems to be quickly replacing those units. More important, these little problems are fixable unlike the Ti airport reception issue and the Ti battery issue.

I've already ordered a 15" Al PB. It should ship next week. When it arrives I'll check the latch and the display and if there is a problem I'll send it back but I am confident that I will eventually get a good one and I'll be quite happy with that.