Semi-Perpetual NFL Picks Thread

Comments

• Reply 101 of 202
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    Amazing game last night . . .it makes me want to look past teh miserableness of Indianapolis as a city . . and the fact that I can't help but think Baltimore Colts, and actually start liking this team

I only saw the last 4 minutes but apparently that was all I needed to see . . . and OTime . ..

Looked like the Colts had the Defense figured out more than just beaten . . . seemed like they figured out the rythm of the line and the line-backers as well as simply tiring out the secondary

now, as far as that "Leaping" call . . . I don't know?! it looked more like "Prancing" then "Leaping" . . . with a touch of the 'Frolic" too . ..
  • Reply 102 of 202
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pfflam

Looked like the Colts had the Defense figured out more than just beaten . . . seemed like they figured out the rythm of the line and the line-backers as well as simply tiring out the secondary

The Bucs are heavily based on the Cover 2 defense, which requires the linebackers to sit back and protect against the pass inside. The Colts countered them with Williams running up the gut on consecutive downs. That forced the linebackers to come up to the line. Every time the linebackers backed up the line, Manning threw right down the middle.

Eventually, the Bucs were forced out of the Cover 2, and then Manning had a heyday with jumbled up match-ups which left the Bucs free safeties on Marvin Harrison and such.

Obviously Gruden and the defensive coordinator are going to plug things up by next week...
  • Reply 103 of 202
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    The Buccs defense doesn't work against Indy because Peyton Manning has more control of the offense than any QB in the league. They go up to the line of scrimmage with three plays called and, based on the defense that Manning sees, he audibles into one of those three. Peyton Manning is the best signal caller of the last few decades. Expect to see the Buccs' defense bounce back next week against Washington as the exploits Manning took advantage of are unlikely easily repeated with other QBs.
  • Reply 104 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by Cake

Of course it's in the rule book Mr. Troll.

Did you see the replay?

It was bad officiating.

No actually it specifically states that what he did was not allowed by the rules. Since when is it bad officiating to follow the rules? Question the rule, not the call.
  • Reply 105 of 202
    I looked up the rules but right now I'm a dolt (not a volt or bolt or even a Colt) and can't make sense of them:

here's my question: what are the NFL rules for acquiring new players mid season?
  • Reply 106 of 202
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by EMGeneratr

No actually it specifically states that what he did was not allowed by the rules. Since when is it bad officiating to follow the rules? Question the rule, not the call.

as madden said on his web page at espn, simeon rice did not use anyone beneath him to help block the field goal. and he landed on his feet, so player injury was not an issue either. and both of those are the intent of the rule. BUT the referee has to call what he sees, and he saw an infraction to the letter of the rule (even if it wasn't in the spirit). heck, according to the rule, if rice had just been lined up at the line of scrimmage, he could have landed on whomever he wanted... it was the four yard running start that really gave the ref something to notice and watch.

plus, it's not like that was the only bad call on special teams that night. the "rolling into the kicker" was just as laughable on the drive before.

in the end, i stand by my belief that the bucs were just gassed. michaels and madden pointed out who simeon rice couldn't even move on the last touchdown pass peyton threw. he just stood there, tank on empty. plus, it helped that maanning/harrison could victimize wansley as bad as they could.

looks like alstott is out for the season with neck injury that will require surgery. he wasn't doing much fo rushing anyway, but sometimes he would do tons of damage on a screen pass or blocking. and gruden still hasn't found a way to make that o-line anything more than adequate.
  • Reply 107 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

I think the ting that really made the call . . . mainly by drawing attention to himself, was when Rice lifted up both knees as he was hanging in the air . . . so he came down, at least partially, like a cannon-ball dive
  • Reply 108 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

as madden said on his web page at espn, simeon rice did not use anyone beneath him to help block the field goal. and he landed on his feet, so player injury was not an issue either. and both of those are the intent of the rule. BUT the referee has to call what he sees, and he saw an infraction to the letter of the rule (even if it wasn't in the spirit). heck, according to the rule, if rice had just been lined up at the line of scrimmage, he could have landed on whomever he wanted... it was the four yard running start that really gave the ref something to notice and watch.

plus, it's not like that was the only bad call on special teams that night. the "rolling into the kicker" was just as laughable on the drive before.

in the end, i stand by my belief that the bucs were just gassed. michaels and madden pointed out who simeon rice couldn't even move on the last touchdown pass peyton threw. he just stood there, tank on empty. plus, it helped that maanning/harrison could victimize wansley as bad as they could.

looks like alstott is out for the season with neck injury that will require surgery. he wasn't doing much fo rushing anyway, but sometimes he would do tons of damage on a screen pass or blocking. and gruden still hasn't found a way to make that o-line anything more than adequate.

If the letter of the rule doesn't fit with the spirit of the rule, then shouldn't they change it until it does? Technically it was a good call because the rule is there, and according to the wording it was a penalty. I'll give them this one...

But you're right there were some others that were just bad. And there was no reason for some of them.

I figured after a few of those big bursts from Pittman they'd use him more anyway. I guess he'll get his chance now.
  • Reply 109 of 202
    I'll give them the penalty because The Bucs NEVER should have let the Colts back into the game.
  • Reply 110 of 202
    Panthers @ Colts

Colts are riding high right now, and the Panthers will come back down to earth.

Bears @ Saints

Bears win against the Raiders was nothing.

Texans @ Titans

Obvious reasons.

Chiefs @ Packers

Packers are still tough at Lambeau. Dante Hall won't get a punt in his direction.

Dolphins @ Jaguars

Run, Ricky, run.

Giants @ Patriots

Did the Giants sign a replacement kicker yet?

Raiders @ Browns

Raiders can't lose to crap teams twice in two weeks, an they?

Eagles @ Cowboys

The Eagles are playing for their lives...

Buccaneers @ Redskins

Spurrier's going to have Ramsey pass the ball...a lot. Bucs will pick him off...a lot.

Ravens @ Cardinals

Cardinals are crap.

Bills @ Jets

Jets are crap.

Steelers @ Broncos

Pretty even, so Broncos get homefield advantage. Plus, Steelers played like crap last week.

49ers @ Seahawks

Sharpiegate 2002, the Niners just aren't very good.

Falcons @ Rams

Still no Vick.
  • Reply 111 of 202
    Panthers @ Colts

What the heck . . . they probably wont win but somehow the Colts, who look very very good may be a little cocky

Bears @ Saints

O think that they may actually get to be a decent team once they start using Stewart like a running QB . . and Urlacher . . . .besides, the injuries: I heard that the Saints were in deep injury wise

Texans @ Titans

Titans might get upset here . . . but Mcnair is really good and their D looks tough too

Chiefs @ Packers

I'm deep in cheesehead land now (and by the way its really pretty great here in Wisconsin) so I want every team to beat the Packers . . . but they looked mean last weak and this might be an upset game . . .Also, I think that the Chiefs have gotten lucky (by signing Hall that is) in several games, even though they are a good team

Dolphins @ Jaguars

Rumor has it that they have a good runner who they abuse thouroughly . . . but the season is young and so is he

Giants @ Patriots

Patriots got lusky and the Giants have been unlucky

Raiders @ Browns

If Holcomb starts they may not win but Couch is hot

Eagles @ Cowboys

I detest the Cowboys and I have ever since the days of Tony Dorset . . .they are like cheesy fuzzy erotica as upposed to real hardcore

Buccaneers @ Redskins

This will be a close game they are really well matched . . . statistically they are almost the same . . . but the Bucs might be realizing that they are not guaranteed a playoff spot if they slack so they will come back with a vengeance this week

Ravens @ Cardinals

Cardinals are birds that live in the Midwest from Missouri up to Canada as well as much of the East coast . . . they die in the heat

apparently

Bills @ Jets

WHat heppened to the Jets?

Steelers @ Broncos

What can I say . . . I actually think that they will probably lose but when they find their rythm they can be tough and with Plummer out of the game it will be a good game . . . I want to be able to watch it it would be fun to see Portis match up against their Linebackers . . . Kendrell Bell and Porter and Farior and Jason Gildon

49ers @ Seahawks

GOO Seahawks . . .

Shaun Alexander can run like hell . . . . if he isn't being beaten soundly that is . . . .

Falcons @ Rams

But really, who knows and who cares ?!?! . .
  • Reply 112 of 202
    Panthers @ Colts

Colts at home, undefeated. panthers have come a long way, but i don't think they have an offense that can keep up with manning and company if it gets to be a track meet.

Bears @ Saints

god, this is going to be an ugly, ugly game. evenly matched, let's go with the homies.

Texans @ Titans

i like the texans, but they don't stand a chance against mcnair et al. at home.

Chiefs @ Packers

packers will be juiced after knocking off the 'hawks last week, and with a chance to knock off another unbeaten. i'll go with favre again.

Dolphins @ Jaguars

dolphins try again to get people to forget week one.

Giants @ Patriots

no idea. let's try the pats at home.

Raiders @ Browns

raiders will somehow make tim couch look awful, and therefore bench him for next week.

Eagles @ Cowboys

i still do not believe that the cowboys are for real.

Buccaneers @ Redskins

bucs win on the road, but not at home. go figure.

Ravens @ Cardinals

how bad can the cards get? pretty damn bad. watch jamal get 400 yds.

Bills @ Jets

my upset special. jets can't just keep losing... can they?

Steelers @ Broncos

Steelers make EVERY quarterback look like elway in his prime. let's go, broncos.

49ers @ Seahawks

'hawks needed the packers to bring them back down to earth. should be plenty ready for the niners and good ol' dennis erickson's return.

Falcons @ Rams

Watch the Falcons go undefeated as soon as Vick gets healthy. pity that isn't this week.
  • Reply 113 of 202
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I went 10 - 4 last week bringing my season total to 20 - 8.

Panthers @ Colts

Too bad the Panthers have to play the Colts this week. They are a powerhouse...just not enough to stop Manning.

Bears @ Saints

McAllister rushes for 150 yards.

Texans @ Titans

I'm tempted to pick the Texans here but the Titans are brutal at home.

Chiefs @ Packers

The Chiefs slaughter the old man and his cheeseheads.

Dolphins @ Jaguars

Jags get a karmatic stomping for beating up on my poor Chargers.

Giants @ Patriots

Even with all the injuries the Pats still have a stifling defense.

Raiders @ Browns

**** the raiders.

Eagles @ Cowboys

McNabb IS overrated.

Buccaneers @ Redskins

No KJ. No Alstott. No win.

Ravens @ Cardinals

Ravens outpeck the Cardinals.

Bills @ Jets

C-mart has a decent day rushing but the Bills pull it out in a close, low scoring game.

Steelers @ Broncos

I hate the Broncos but those bastards are going to win this one.

49ers @ Seahawks

Niners blow.

Falcons @ Rams

This will be a shootout that the Rams end up winning thanks to Mr. Clutch Isaac Bruce.
  • Reply 114 of 202
    crap... they're showing the bears vs. saints for the early game in my area. how the hell did they sell out the superdome to justify a blackout lift?!?

guess i need to find something else to do this early afternoon. ugh.
  • Reply 115 of 202
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

crap... they're showing the bears vs. saints for the early game in my area. how the hell did they sell out the superdome to justify a blackout lift?!?

guess i need to find something else to do this early afternoon. ugh.

same here!!!

and its the Packer's game i actually wanted to watch
  • Reply 116 of 202
    oh goody. saints lead the bears 6 to 3 going into halftime. what a wild game!

groan...
  • Reply 117 of 202
    Oakland

Buffalo

Philly
  • Reply 118 of 202
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Chiefs.

Monday Night Football next week may prove interesting. If they beat the Raiders in Oakland, it'll be a while before they ever lose. Buffalo and Cleveland at home, Bungals in Cincinnati.

Yeah, 10-0 will be fun.
  • Reply 119 of 202
    well, f*ck me. just got back and am checking the box scores. the cowboys, chiefs and panthers are all for real.

by the way, i trust everyone has noticed that my upset specials do pretty well, huh? i have accurately picked both arizona over green bay and now the jets over the bills.

sweet.

p.s. thank you, bucs, for acting like the super bowl champs. i realized earlier that they are six point (and seven hundred penalties) away from being undefeated. they need more folks to recover from injuries, but the end of the season could be strong.

and yes, the chiefs and vermeil look magical. i swear, they are gettin his place ready in canton, if it wasn't there already. this may be a team of destiny in the making.
  • Reply 120 of 202
    /me throws Garrison Hearst under the bus