This is REAL treason Ann Coulter: Someone is going to Jail or worse!

Comments

• Reply 401 of 494
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    Quote:

Originally posted by segovius

Ok, it's starting to look lke we need a Panther-style countdown to a massive distraction - the only card junior has left in his deck.

I'd say Bush needs an international incident within the month. My money's on Syria.

• Reply 402 of 494
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    Slime, Give False Numbers, then Defend:

Quote:

Novak cited "two administration officials" in his column. They may work in the White House, but they also may work in other places. There are tens of thousands of "senior administration officials." The only suggestion that White House aides leaked the covert agent's name comes from another "senior administration official," who told The Washington Post that "two top White House officials" leaked the agent's name to at least six (unnamed) journalists.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Conten...3/222esfxg.asp

WeeklyStandard.

Quote:

Ok, it's starting to look lke we need a Panther-style countdown to a massive distraction - the only card junior has left in his deck.

I'd say Bush needs an international incident within the month. My money's on Syria.

TOTALLY!

They do seem to be in a Syria sort of mode lately. Not that it matters. Syira could be acting like mother theresa(when she was alive) right now and it would not matter. They are on the Paul wolfiwitz list..

So bombs away......
  • Reply 403 of 494
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    This should be watched tonight...

truth, war and consequences

FRONTLINE traces the roots of the Iraqi war back to the days immediately following September 11, when Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld ordered the creation of a special intelligence operation to quietly begin looking for evidence that would justify the war. The intelligence reports soon became a part of a continuing struggle between civilians in the Pentagon on one side and the CIA, State Department, and uniformed military on the other-a struggle that would lead to inadequate planning for the aftermath of the war, continuing violence, and mounting political problems for the president.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/truth/

I don't know if anyone who thinks PBS is liberal will watch it... but they're probably watching the oh so informative Hannity or O'Reilly around that time. That's the "Iraq is going well, and took part in 9/11 and they have WMD that could have be used against us here in the US at any moment" channel.
  • Reply 404 of 494
    Moveon.org has a way you can help President Bush narrow down the list of suspects in the Valerie Plame case. Take a look. Lend him a hand.

-- Josh Marshall

Check it out.

(Mr. Bush i'm looking in your direction...)

http://www.moveon.org/affidavit/?id=...E5BJCr71IcVtzA
  • Reply 405 of 494
    Joshua Marshall ROASTS Bob Nofacts with Bob's OWN words:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/

Quote:

Oh, now that?s very interesting.

Let?s go back and do a little more Bob Novak exegesis.

As we?ve noted before, one of the best pieces of evidence that Novak (and thus his sources) knew Valerie Plame was a clandestine employee of the

CIA was that he said as much in his original column. There he called her a ?CIA operative.?

People who follow the intel world say that phrase is almost always meant to refer to a clandestine agent or someone in the field, rather than an analyst.

Now, since the story blew up a week and a half ago, Novak has been telling people that this reference was just some sort of slip-up, that in this case he meant ?operative? only in the generic sense of a ?hack? or a ?fixer.? On Meet the Press Novak said he uses ?the word too much [and] if somebody did a Nexus search of my columns, they'd find an overuse of ?operative.??

Well, Novak does seem to use the word operative a lot. But as one of my readers pointed out to me this evening, ?operative? can mean all sorts of things in different contexts. The question is how Novak uses it in this particular context. Following up on my reader?s suggestion I did a Nexis search to see all the times Novak used the phrases ?CIA operative? or ?agency operative.?

This was a quick search. But I came up with six examples. And in each case Novak used the phrase to refer to someone working in a clandestine capacity.

Here they are ?

On December 3rd 2001 Novak reported on the surprise and even outrage among CIA veterans that Mike Spann?s identity had been revealed even in death. Spann was the agent killed at the uprising at Mazar-i-Sharif Thus Novak: ?Exposure of CIA operative Johnny (Mike) Spann's identity as the first American killed in Afghanistan is viewed by surprised intelligence insiders as an effort by Director George Tenet to boost the embattled CIA's prestige.?

On November 1st, 2001 Novak described the Agency?s handling of the late Afghan resistance commander Abdul Haq. Thus Novak: ?the CIA was keeping in close touch with Haq's friends but providing more criticism than help. The Afghan freedom fighter who was honored by Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher during the war against the Soviets became "Hollywood Haq" to the CIA. He was described by the agency's operatives as ?unruly and immature.??

This is the most ambiguous reference. But I think it?s pretty clear here that Novak is referring to people in the field, i.e., operatives, not analysts back at Langley.

On September 23rd, 2001, Novak discussed the long decline of the CIA, particularly its human intelligence (HUMINT) and operational capacities. He made particular reference to the tenure of Stansfield Turner as DCI. Thus Novak: ?Appalled by the CIA's operatives in Central America, he issued the now-famous order against hiring unsavory local agents. There went any serious effort at espionage.? Again, that ain?t a reference to analysts.

On July 5th, 1999, Novak reviewed Bill Buckley?s new book on Joe McCarthy and in the course of that review he noted how Buckley had ?honed his craft well in chronicling the fictional adventures of his CIA operative, Blackford Oakes.? Now, the Blackford Oakes spy novels are ? well, spy novels. So this one?s pretty clear.

On September 22nd, 1997 Novak noted to the role of ?Bob,? someone whom he referred to as an ?undercover CIA agent? who got pulled into the Roger Tamraz phase of the campaign finance scandal. Later in the same column Novak referred to ?Bob? as a ?CIA operative.? Ergo, ?undercover CIA agent? equals ?CIA operative.?

On September 18th, 1997 Novak referred to this same ?Bob? on CNN as an ?an undercover CIA operative.?

I also did a quick search for Novak?s references to ?CIA analyst? or ?agency analyst? I found three --- each clearly referring to people who were in fact analysts.

I don?t think requires too much commentary, does it?

Clearly, Novak knows the meaning of the phrase ?CIA operative? and he uses it advisedly. In the last decade he?s never used the phrase to mean anything but clandestine agents.

Let?s cut the mumbo-jumbo: past evidence suggests that Novak only uses this phrase to refer to clandestine agents. In this case, when he has every reason to run away from that meaning of the phrase, he suddenly runs away from that meaning. Especially with all the other evidence at hand, that just defies credibility. Everything points to the conclusion that Novak did know. That would mean, necessarily, that his sources knew too.

The ?we didn?t know? cover story just doesn?t wash.

Lies and the lying liars that say them....
  • Reply 406 of 494
    He seems to have problems finding things...osama, saddam, traitors in his white house.

• Reply 407 of 494
    hehe...that's BRILLIANT.
  • Reply 408 of 494
    chu_bakka, thanks for the heads up on frontline...

very intrested...

looks like everyone has been had. even the neo-cons via chalibi...
  • Reply 409 of 494
    They Said it:

http://www.buzzflash.com/analysis/03/10/ana03003.html

Quote:

SEN. BILL FRIST (R-TN)

"The reason we have this whole special counsel entity is to remove conflict of interest. It's important, if you're looking at the executive side, not to have the Department of Justice investigating the executive side."

- Chattanooga Free Press, 3/21/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN. ARLEN SPECTER (R-PA)

"The fundamental purpose of appointing an independent counsel was to have someone in charge who was not allied with the administration, not beholden to the administration, and not motivated in any way to favor the administration."

- Congressional Record, 9/16/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN ORRIN HATCH (R-UT)

"Both prudence and the American people's ability to have confidence that the investigation remains free of a conflict of interest warrants the appointment of an independent counsel."

- Congressional Record, 3/14/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

"To the extent that any prosecutor is accountable to the executive branch, there inevitably will be pressure not to investigate and prosecute aggressively scandals at the highest levels of government - an inherent conflict of interest."

- The Independent Counsel Statute and Questions about Its Future, Law & Contemporary Problems (Winter 1999): academic article on Independent Counsel Statute

SEN. TRENT LOTT (R-MS)

"Where you have the possibility of the appearance of conflict of interest within the administration, you should go to independent counsel."

- Face the Nation, 03/02/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

Senator Lott said that an independent counsel is warranted where there are "allegations of illegal activity by high up officials that meet certain criteria in the administration, or conversely, where there is the appearance of the potential of conflict of interests from the attorney general, Justice Department with administration officials."

- Press Conference, 3/6/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN. JOHN ASHCROFT (R-MO)

"A single allegation can be most worthy of a special prosecutor. If you're abusing government property, if you're abusing your status in office, it can be a single fact that makes the difference on that."

- Evans and Novak, 10/4/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN. ROBERT BENNETT (R-UT)

"The reason we have an independent counsel operation is because the Attorney General is indeed subject to pressure from the White House."

- Congressional Record, 3/19/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN. CHUCK HAGEL (R-NE)

"Criminal investigations should be taken out of politics. Prosecuting wrongdoing should be done without regard to politics. The Attorney General needs to appoint an independent counsel now."

- Congressional Record, 3/17/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

SEN. FRED THOMPSON (R-TN)

"Throughout our history in this country, when we've had problems in the White House, when people who are close to the president had problems, we've just about always had somebody independent come in and take a look at it."

- Meet the Press, 12/7/97: regarding campaign finance investigation

"It is very difficult if not impossible for the Attorney General and the Justice Department to investigate the president and other high- ranking government officials in the executive branch of government without an obvious conflict of interest."

- Government Affairs Committee Hearing, 3/17/99: regarding the reauthorization of the Independent Counsel Act

• Reply 410 of 494
  • Reply 411 of 494
    Quote:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Representative John Conyers, Jr., the Ranking Member, on the House Judiciary Committee sent the following letter to Senior White House Advisor, Karl Rove, asking for his resignation:

October 7, 2003

Dear Mr. Rove:

I write to ask you to resign from the White House staff. Recent press reports have indicated that, while you may or may not have been the source of the Robert Novak column which revealed the status and name of a covert operative, the wife of Ambassador Joseph Wilson, you were involved in a subsequent effort to push this classified information to other reporters and give it even wider currency. This itself may be a federal crime, but regardless of that fact, your actions are morally indefensible.

In my view, it is shameful and unethical that an Administration that promised to govern with "honor and integrity" and "change the tone" in Washington has now engaged in an orchestrated campaign to smear and intimidate truth-telling critics, placing them in possible physical harm and impairing the efforts and operations of the CIA.

Recent reports indicate that you told the journalist, Chris Matthews, and perhaps others, that Mr. Wilson's wife and her undercover status were "fair game." Evan Thomas and Michael Isikoff, Newsweek, Oct. 13, 2003. Since these initial allegations have arisen, neither the White House nor your office have denied your involvement in furthering the leak.

Repeated press inquiries into this matter have been rebuffed with technical jargon and narrow legalisms, instead of broader ethical issues. Indeed, in the same article it appears a White House source acknowledged that you contacted Matthews and other journalists, indicating that "it was reasonable to discuss who sent Wilson to Niger."

It should be noted that these actions may well have violated 18 U.S.C. § 793, which prohibits the willful or grossly negligent distribution of national defense information that could possibly be used against the United States. The law states that even if you lawfully knew of

Mr. Wilson's wife's status, you were obliged to come forward and report the press leak to the proper authorities - not inflame the situation by encouraging further dissemination. 18 U.S.C. § 793(f). Larger than whether any one statute can be read to find criminal responsibility is the issue of whether officials of your stature will be allowed to use their influence to intimidate whistle-blowers.

Over three decades ago, our nation was scarred by an Administration that would stop at nothing to smear and intimidate its critics. I do not believe the Nation will countenance a repeat of such activities. For your role in this campaign, I would ask that you resign immediately.

Sincerely,

John Conyers, Jr.

Ranking Minority Member

cc: The Honorable F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr.

Chairman

Committee on the Judiciary

• Reply 412 of 494
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    keyboard12, that's a great letter and effectively makes my point. At this point, is there any legitimate defense for Rove?
  • Reply 413 of 494
    If i were to advise K-A-R-L, i would tell him it does not look good. I would also tell him his best defense would be a good offense. Meaning i would ask him if he would be willing to sign an afadavit stating that he had no part in the leak OR did not push this information.

At that point there would be a long pause by him.

He couldn't do it even if he wanted to since he may not have been the original leaker he DEFINATELY pushed the story afterwards which as conyers mentioned is not a thing that commands Honesty or Integrity.There are at least 7 people that could call him on it.

His best bet might be to delay and ignore (i am including the white house) as long as possible. There is still a year away from the election and this man is half bush JUNIOR's brain. Its one thing to rely on other people for the "politics" of the country over the next year (mr cheney i am looking in your direction) but come Jan. of next year, bush has to start the relection machine.

This is where K-A-R-L will be missed MOST. Don't get me wrong, come hell or highwater (fired or put in jail) K-A-R-L will still be supplying politcal advice to Bush JUNIOR (even if its from a jail cell on devil's island) because Bush JUNIOR knows he would not be anything without K-A-R-L's work. (and his daddy's) He needs him so he needs him along as long as possible. So as his daddy would say, "Stay the Course.."

maybe this is making sense after all...
  • Reply 414 of 494
    Somone posted this in another forum

Quote:

Psst! John Conyers wife is now fair game. Pass it on!

• Reply 415 of 494
    The Washington Post does their duty again. Most of the rest of the media still asleep at the wheel...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Oct11.html

Quote:

That same week, two top White House officials disclosed Plame's identity to least six Washington journalists, an administration official told The Post for an article published Sept. 28. The source elaborated on the conversations last week, saying that officials brought up Plame as part of their broader case against Wilson.

"It was unsolicited," the source said. "They were pushing back. They used everything they had."

• Reply 416 of 494
    They ain't going to find him.

The can't find saddam hussein.

The can't find ossama bin laden.

How can they find the leaker?

...They ain't going to look for him...

That sonofabitch is the safest person in the world.

I can promise you that.

---James Carville on last nights episode of K-Street.
  • Reply 417 of 494
    Whispers or Truth?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/0...0whisplead.htm

Wilson adds ammo to hit war credibility gap

Just as former Ambassador Joseph Wilson's story that Bushies blew his CIA wife's cover to get back at his criticism of the war in Iraq was getting old, he has stumbled on new ammo to hit the administration's credibility. Wilson tells us he plans to circulate the text of a briefing by analyst Sam Gardiner that suggests the White House and Pentagon made up or distorted over 50 war stories. You know some tall tales, like the Pvt. Jessica Lynch story. But there's more, says Gardiner, a war gamer who has taught at the National War College. Like how defense officials said the first Iraqi unit marines encountered, the 51st Mechanized Infantry Division, had surrendered four days before it actually did. And he says Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Richard Myers gave bad or deliberately incomplete info on several topics. Sure, propaganda has always been used in war to deceive and demoralize the enemy. But these guys went way overboard, Gardiner says. "Never before have so many stories been created to sell a war," he insists. "And they probably didn't need it."

The PDFs on the same page. What's up with those?

Pentagon war story credibility briefing:

Pages (PDF) 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-56
  • Reply 418 of 494
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

They ain't going to find him.

The can't find saddam hussein.

The can't find ossama bin laden.

How can they find the leaker?

...They ain't going to look for him...

That sonofabitch is the safest person in the world.

I can promise you that.

---James Carville on last nights episode of K-Street.

god i love carville! i'd like to hang out at that house for a while.

it'd be like appleoutsider all day!
  • Reply 419 of 494
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

Whispers or Truth?

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/0...0whisplead.htm

Wilson adds ammo to hit war credibility gap

Just as former Ambassador Joseph Wilson's story that Bushies blew his CIA wife's cover to get back at his criticism of the war in Iraq was getting old, he has stumbled on new ammo to hit the administration's credibility. Wilson tells us he plans to circulate the text of a briefing by analyst Sam Gardiner that suggests the White House and Pentagon made up or distorted over 50 war stories. You know some tall tales, like the Pvt. Jessica Lynch story. But there's more, says Gardiner, a war gamer who has taught at the National War College. Like how defense officials said the first Iraqi unit marines encountered, the 51st Mechanized Infantry Division, had surrendered four days before it actually did. And he says Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Richard Myers gave bad or deliberately incomplete info on several topics. Sure, propaganda has always been used in war to deceive and demoralize the enemy. But these guys went way overboard, Gardiner says. "Never before have so many stories been created to sell a war," he insists. "And they probably didn't need it."

The PDFs on the same page. What's up with those?

Pentagon war story credibility briefing:

Pages (PDF) 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-56

I'm looking forward to going through these.
  • Reply 420 of 494
    Man o Man! In my book carville is a god. I'd work for him cleaning toilets if he asked.

i just noticed that the "War Room" is out on dvd. I must pick up that inspirational piece of art...

Giant,

yes. I'm super workn right now otherwise i'de be going thru the PDFs. i want to know exactly who the guy is that wrote them. Is he above board in the military circles?

this thing could get explosive. I mean i already heard the J lynch thing was staged to make us look better but other parts?

Hmm....