Panther 7B** Builds Discussion (images on page 2 & 5)

Comments

• Reply 1121 of 1176
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yes. works fine both directions.
  • Reply 1122 of 1176
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    how did you install it? the cd it came with?

I have the 1.1 CD will that make a difference?
  • Reply 1123 of 1176
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    version 1.1, worked just fine from the .dmg i made from the original.
  • Reply 1124 of 1176
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JDraden

-Caps Lock will turn itself on sometimes at login, but the "Caps Lock" light on the keyboard will not indicate it. If the button is pushed twice, it will operate as normal.

-Folders may not show updated files when their content is changed until after a restart.

um, these two problems alone seem kinda serious.
  • Reply 1125 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

um, these two problems alone seem kinda serious.

agreed, as are some of the other bugs I mentioned. out of all of these, the only one I can recreate regularly is the "Preview" bug, and the "finder crashes.." bug. Many of these other bugs just come out of nowhere and there may be so many specific factors involved that they are difficult to troubleshoot..

Like the "Finder windows won't update" bug appeared when I was scanning some documents into Photoshop and then saving them into my [user]>Pictures folder. I would save them with Photoshop, but the files weren't where I saved them. I did a "search" for them and the "search results" window displayed the files, and it said they were where they were supposed to be. I had to drag the files out of the "search results" window onto the desktop, and back into my home folder for them to show up!
  • Reply 1126 of 1176
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    I've noticed that the keyboad doesn't light up and the screen doesn't dim after putting the laptop (a new 15") to sleep. I have to log in and log back out for the backlighting effect to become opperable again. :/
  • Reply 1127 of 1176
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Norum

...As you go, your text insertion point curseor (the blinking line) gets farther and farther ahead of where the text actually is. This makes it *REALLY* hard to select and edit text.

This sounds almost exactly the same as a Bug that used to appear in Mozilla and Netscape. I think it still does, to some degree, on the Camino build I've got. Very annoying.
  • Reply 1128 of 1176
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    ****ing dipshit pirates. What part of "it's not out yet and if you're not a developer, you don't get to ask technical support questions about it" do you not understand.

Anyone downloading this and putting this on their machine - unless they're cautious and fairly savvy about the OS and Macs in general - is an absolute pinhead.

Can't you wait 10 more days?

(the above is to anyone a) unclear on Brad's rule b) installs a shitty pre-release version of Panther on their Cube or Strawberry iMac and all hell breaks loose and they want to whine here about it c) anyone else I deem worthy of dipshit status as the day goes on.

• Reply 1129 of 1176
    i've found some strange things in mac os x 10.3 (7b85):

- itunes doesn't support fast user switching. if you switch to another user the sound continues playing. if you you try to launch itunes from the user you switched to it says that you can't launch itunes because another user already launched it! that's crazy stuff! maybe this is the reason they will soon release itunes 5.

- mac help crashes if you resize the column width in the search results window. this is not always reproduceable...sometimes you have first to select a search result.

- if you play a movie in column view in the finder and you try to resize the window the movie sometimes moves to strange places.

- if you play a movie in column view in the finder you can't grab the horizontal scrollbar. you can only scroll the content with the widgets.

- exposé screws up slider windows if you launch expose exactly at the moment when the slider window is supposed to slide out of its parent window.

- if you launch a program and while it is opening (hopping in the dock) you launch exposé the new window won't be included in the exposé fuctionality. you can't select the newly opened window and the names of the moused over exposé windows will overlay your new opened window.

- if you don't set a screensaver but you say that you require a password after sleep, panther just puts in a black sceensaver with a password prompt instead of going directly to the login window. you always have to select 'switch user'. it would be more logic to show the login window after sleep because if i select switch user from the password prompt it will 'turn' me to the login window and if i chose there to login to my account it 'turns' me back to the black screen with the password prompt and i have to reenter my password. maybe i'm to severe but how it is made for the moment isn't good.
  • Reply 1130 of 1176
    More 7B85 fun

-calculator in advanced mode

Enter 10E123

Damn where did the 'EE' key go?

Hint

Calculate 1^0.5
  • Reply 1131 of 1176
    Labels created in OS 9 show up in Panther. I have a folder I labeled YEARS ago before the OS X PB came out and I never changed it. It's just an old folder of research stuff. In Panther, it's label is there. Interesting...
  • Reply 1132 of 1176
    Expose: you can use the arrow keys to navigate the windows. Cool.
  • Reply 1133 of 1176
    As far as I recall Expose uses the F9, F10 and F11 keys, how does this work with Powerbooks that use those for keyboard lighting control?
  • Reply 1134 of 1176
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

As far as I recall Expose uses the F9, F10 and F11 keys, how does this work with Powerbooks that use those for keyboard lighting control?

Just as F1-F7 I guess: hold down the fn key.
  • Reply 1135 of 1176
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Only a weekish to go folks, I cant wait.. I wonder if the thread will make 200000 views before it hits..

Any differences in ichat recently?
  • Reply 1136 of 1176
    Exposé can be configured you know. To use any key.
  • Reply 1137 of 1176
    How 'bout this for a bug?

Play any media file in column view with preview ON.

Then try to select multiple icons on the desktop.

The select box will automagically extend from the right edge of the screen to the position of your pointer, and you can't actually select anything. Pretty annoying bug, can reproduce constantly.

Also, constant kernel panics on a new 12" PBG4/1GHz, even after a clean install w/o any additional software/kexts. Don't know if it's a problem with my particular machine.
  • Reply 1138 of 1176
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rawhead

How 'bout this for a bug?

Play any media file in column view with preview ON.

Then try to select multiple icons on the desktop.

The select box will automagically extend from the right edge of the screen to the position of your pointer, and you can't actually select anything. Pretty annoying bug, can reproduce constantly.

Thanks for pointing that out. I just reproduced the bug as well. You can still shift-click or command-click to select multiple icons, but you can't band-select. In fact, even just clicking on the desktop while a movie is playing will flash the image of the selection box, anchored at the right edge of the screen. In fact, that happens in Finder windows as well, not just the desktop, but it only happens in icon view, not list or column view.
  • Reply 1139 of 1176
    cowerdcowerd Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Also, constant kernel panics on a new 12" PBG4/1GHz, even after a clean install w/o any additional software/kexts. Don't know if it's a problem with my particular machine.

This usually points to a hardware problem. Check your RAM.
  • Reply 1140 of 1176
    Ya know... besides from a few third party programs crashing every now and then my 7B85 installation (I won't say where I got it from) runs great. Luca:: In the Finder I can band-select just fine....this is if you mean drawing a box around icons to select them... Also sometimes I have kernal panics... but that's because of the programs I have on here.... In fact ever since I installed 7B85 I've been running faster in many senses... I've been hearing rumors that it is and isn't the GM.... GM or not this'll hold me until I get the official copy...

Panther is great. éxpose rox! Like many others have said here... I'm additcted to it! ^_^