Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 221 of 588
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Wow. My father is looking to replace his old Compaq laptop with a PowerBook. He wanted to get a TiBook, but I told him he'd be better of waiting for one of the new AlBooks. After hearing about all the problems you guys are having, I think getting an old TiBook isn't a bad idea. I think the 1GHz model with SuperDrive is selling for $2000 now, a real steal.
  • Reply 222 of 588
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Had the new top-end 15, but we all know how that went: shitty battery life and it turned into a torch. Sadly, I called Apple about the issue, Apple said it was a problem, returned it. Got a credit. Waited about a week and half. Purchased a 17-inch Powerbook...you know the new 1.33 one. It's great...BUT! It too turns into a torch at times, and I cannot stand to work on it after it gets hot. The palm area gets hot, and I'm just beside myself on what to do. I was contemplating returning it on Monday, but here it is coming into Thursday, and I just haven't made my mind up on whether or not I'm just not used to the heat, or whether or not the heat will deter my attitude in using it because it's too uncomfortable when it turns into a torch.

Meanwhile, I really don't want to return it and get a G5, because my master plan wasn't to get a G5 until they hit 3 GHz. Besides, I'm not really a desktop person anymore, ever since getting my first portable, the Ti400. It's like that old saying, "Once you go black you'll never go back." That saying also applies to using the 17-inch and then returning to the 15-inch Ti867 I still have. What a difference. I'm used to the 17's widescreen display, and I'm also used to the very nice keyboard. If I could only get over the fact that it gets hot on the palm rest, I would be happier than a pig in mud. I kind of want to what to see if Panther does something abou the heat on this thing, but I'm not too sure that's a smart move since I have until Sunday to return it to the Apple Store.
  • Reply 223 of 588
    I originally was concerned about battery life in my new 1.25 15" Alu book. Since upgrading to 10.2.8, battery life has increased to over 3 hours. I have had no problems with the latch, white spots, heat, or any of the other issues in the thread.

IMO, this is an excellent revision. No calls to Apple Care, no problems. Thumbs up for me.
  • Reply 224 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I was watching that stupid show "Becker" last night for some reason? Has anyone see the one where he is having a day where everything goes right for him, but he won't believe it? Anyway....

Macbippy is trying to time-line the screen issue with powerbooks by analyzing the s/n of machines. Some of you may want to participate:

http://www.hardmac.com/niouzcontenu....2003-10-16#803

The other news I had was that my machine is back to being repaired in Houston:

Let's hope that they found a permanent fix to the spots issue. I completely put the PB out of my mind, and I wasn't expecting it to be back in repair until next week, so maybe I will have it "early".

Anyway, back to Becker. My point in bringing this up was that I have had a seemingly horrible week: two of three kids throwing up, me getting sick, my wife working late every night, then going on a business trip today, and then last night, our "good" car started making horrible noises. The rental place only had a small car and a pickup truck, and I had to pay for the rental. And I have been stuck using my wife's 12" iBook to write exams and so on, in addition to using a Solaris box at work, and synching three times, twice a day to my linux box at home.

Today, my kids are great, acting great, I feel good, VW is going to pay for the HUGE repair to my car, and the small car turned out to be a new Beetle. Kind of fun to drive for a day or two, the kids love it. My wife is looking forward to driving it tomorrow. A small problem that I was having in my research has found a solution. And it looks like my PB will be fixed and back soon.

Oh, and soccer practice was cancelled tonight.
  • Reply 225 of 588
    Apprarently the parts have arrived and my PB is under repair. Hopefully it will be back tomorrow . . . without any white spots (please!) and a new logic board.

-N
  • Reply 226 of 588
    OK, cave, it's a race now.

Seriously, I hope our fix is real surgery and not a band-aid. We will find out soon, and over a couple weeks as the spots (hopefully) don't re-appear!
  • Reply 227 of 588
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

Apprarently the parts have arrived and my PB is under repair. Hopefully it will be back tomorrow . . . without any white spots (please!) and a new logic board.

-N

My dealer called me this morning also saying the display had arrived. They already changed the displays and are saying that the new one is perfect. Well, I will believe it when I see it.

By the way, the dealer also told me that the display part numbers are now showing "in stock" status. This probably means that the powerbooks that people have been waiting for are shipping also.
  • Reply 228 of 588
    Mine is now "ready to ship", as of noon today PST. I hope that means that it was actually shipped today (I'm finding that the repairstatus updates run about four hours behind events). It would be really nice to get it tomorrow, but Monday would be fine, too.
  • Reply 229 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by machem

Mine is now "ready to ship", as of noon today PST. I hope that means that it was actually shipped today (I'm finding that the repairstatus updates run about four hours behind events). It would be really nice to get it tomorrow, but Monday would be fine, too.

Well, you've pulled ahead of me, even though they've had my unit longer (since 10/10). Mine is still "Return to repair." No hope that I'll get it back tomorrow. Oh, well.
  • Reply 230 of 588
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    How long does it take for some repair status to start showing up?

I keep checking the repair status page and my case is there, but clicking on the Case No. or Dispatch yields a page with nothing there. I called for repair on 10/10, and I sent the notebook on 10/14 (tuesday). I know I'm probably not being very patient. But I at least want some indication that it arrived!

I want my mac back!

And unlike some here, I don't even have an older less cool mac that I can fall back on :-(

-Spyky
  • Reply 231 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neandertal

Well, you've pulled ahead of me, even though they've had my unit longer (since 10/10). Mine is still "Return to repair." No hope that I'll get it back tomorrow. Oh, well.

Mine SHIPPED! I'm almost as happy as when it originally shipped on the 23rd of Sept. I could have it tomorrow, but I hate to jinx it by saying (typing) it. Too late, I guess. All my AppleCare returns have been very fast, so I'm hoping...

Spyky, if you look at my data, you can see that mine showed up on the repair status Monday, and I sent it in Friday. That should count as at least two business days, as AB works on the weekend. I'd think it would show up tomorrow. No doubt they are really busy.

Check out the Case No. History. Interesting ("Capture"; "pooling" --- this term was mentioned by some Apple Store employees).

Anyway.

• Reply 232 of 588
    Well this is truly amazing. I am on my THIRD Powerbook in as many weeks due to severe white spot issues (I got my second exchanged yesterday) and I can see them beginning to develop AGAIN!!! I am gonna call Apple and raise a little hell about this. I don't mind having to swap it out once or twice, but this is getting out of hand. I put down over $2000 for a Powerbook, and as a college student, I don't usually put down $2000 on something unless its worth it. And I'm not being overly picky, I can deal with slight white spots, but 8 on my first one, 4 very bright ones on the second one...we'll see how bad this one gets. I'll call Apple and maybe they can appease me with a free wireless mouse or something...but they need to do something about this. I might just wait until it is resolved and get it repaired under AppleCare. ARG!!!
  • Reply 233 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by filmmaker2002

Well this is truly amazing. I am on my THIRD Powerbook in as many weeks due to severe white spot issues (I got my second exchanged yesterday) and I can see them beginning to develop AGAIN!!! I am gonna call Apple and raise a little hell about this. I don't mind having to swap it out once or twice, but this is getting out of hand. I put down over $2000 for a Powerbook, and as a college student, I don't usually put down $2000 on something unless its worth it. And I'm not being overly picky, I can deal with slight white spots, but 8 on my first one, 4 very bright ones on the second one...we'll see how bad this one gets. I'll call Apple and maybe they can appease me with a free wireless mouse or something...but they need to do something about this. I might just wait until it is resolved and get it repaired under AppleCare. ARG!!!

Ugh. That is a dragopolis. It is also why I was happy for a repair, instead of an exchange. Gawd I hope that whatever they did was a real fix.

Is there anyway to tell your manufacture date?
  • Reply 234 of 588
    I'm considering returning my 17-inch because after a while it gets really hot and is uncomfortable to use. I'm I nuts? (I know I'm opening myself up with that question!)
  • Reply 235 of 588
    Quote:

Mine SHIPPED! I'm almost as happy as when it originally shipped on the 23rd of Sept. I could have it tomorrow, but I hate to jinx it by saying (typing) it. Too late, I guess. All my AppleCare returns have been very fast, so I'm hoping...

I'm back in the game! Mine is supposed to arrive today. However, I'm not hopeful given my remote location and the fact that it's Airborne doing the shipping . . .
  • Reply 236 of 588
    I saw this interesting tidbit on www.macintouch.com:

Quote:

Michael Deverich

The diamond pattern looks to me like the suction cups a mechanical arm might use during manufacturing the LCD.

Makes sense to me. It seems like manufacturers are no different than any other process --- things must be relearned.

I have no idea when my machine is coming --- the repair status page doesn't offer any shipping/tracking info.
  • Reply 237 of 588
    spykyspyky Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Well I broke down and called Apple Support today to ask the status. It seems that the online status isn't working for me. When I say that it shows nothing, I mean nothing. There is a bar that says status but nothing below it. As it turns out, my notebook got there Wednesday and is aparently waiting on an LCD. I hope that doesn't take to long. It looks like yours took 2 days. It's been two days since they received mine already, although I suppose the status might be a bit delayed.

You know, it is really annoying when things like status or tracking numbers just don't work. I like to compulsively check the status, and I can't do that if I have to call all the time! Grrrr. Reminds me of Airborne!

-Spyky
  • Reply 238 of 588
    Mine is here. Looks great, as it should. Some notes:

Apple put in a new Samsung screen.

By pushing on the back of the screen, I can see some of the same pressure points as before, namely #1 and #2 in that "whitespots.jpg" background image posted at http://macfixit.com. They are not nearly as pronounced as they were before (I can barely see the effect at circle 1). I want to stress that only areas 1 and 2 show such pressure points. I had all five show up before.

White spots are gone (they'd better be, eh?). I checked with the spot-checker background and the LCD tester. I am of course skeptical, and will check daily for at least a month until I'm convinced they aren't coming back.

The return trip was 16 hours, door-to-door. Not bad. My 'book is none the worse for wear: no scratches or other problems. My HD was untouched, save for the fact that the powermanager was reset (my date was 1969, etc).

I'll post if anything changes or shows up.
  • Reply 239 of 588
    hey, i might be a little off topic, but i am wondering if this is a problem or if it's just my energy settings... my screen brightness keeps changing, and it is annoying as hell. mostly it just keeps getting dimmer after some use. i understand the logic of this while i am on battery power, but it happens somewhat when i have it plugged in as well.
  • Reply 240 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by mac's girl

hey, i might be a little off topic, but i am wondering if this is a problem or if it's just my energy settings... my screen brightness keeps changing, and it is annoying as hell. mostly it just keeps getting dimmer after some use. i understand the logic of this while i am on battery power, but it happens somewhat when i have it plugged in as well.

Are your light conditions changing? The new PBs have a light-sensing feature that tries to automagically adjust screen brightness for you. Open "Displays" and you will find a button for this. Uncheck it if it bugs you. I've come to appreciate it, but it is disconcerting at first.