Quality control issues with new PowerBooks...particularly the 15"?

Comments

• Reply 241 of 588
    Mine is back, as well. Looks and runs great, so far.
  • Reply 242 of 588
    thanks machem.

feeling only very slightly stupid now, i did manage to change the settings and now the display doesnt get brighter/dimmer on me constantly-- what a pleasure! i never knew it had this (annoying) feature.

please keep us posted on how your newly repaired screen turns out in the coming days. i also need a repair (i also have a fair number of dead pixels in addition to the white spots) and i've decided i want the same machine not a new one. (i think ive become attached to this neat little sucker. )
  • Reply 243 of 588
    eds66eds66 Posts: 119member
    Well guys, got my Powerbook back from the dealer. The screen looks good...for now. No dreaded white spots, and I have not found any dead/stuck pixels yet. By the way, the dealer did not have to send the computer to Apple. Apple sent them the new screen and the service tech replaced the screen in-house. I talked to the technician for a while, and he said that the screen replacement procedure is pretty simple and does not take more than 45 minutes.
  • Reply 244 of 588
    666666 Posts: 134member
    SHIZNIT!!! Just noticed my first white spot. gonna give it a while and see what happens, but this is disheartening! I can't be without this powerbook now, i luv it 2 much!!
  • Reply 245 of 588
    Keeping my fingers crossed and knocking on wood...I received my 15" 1.25 on 10/1 and still no white spots...I feel bad for those of you that this is occuring to...especially those that have it occur several days after using it...

It's really too bad that this is happening...especially to switchers...
  • Reply 246 of 588
    Well, I got my FOURTH Powerbook today (Apple will be hearing from me) after my thrid one had a screw lodged in the rear casing and of course dreaded white spots. According to the guy at the store, Apple will be recalling the 15" screens and replacing them for customers who want a replacement. Apparantley, Apple is well aware of the situation and is addressing it hopefully...
  • Reply 247 of 588
    Yay guys! YAY!

At last I can write in this forum as a fully fledged (first-time) mac user. But I'm disappointed: I have two clustered dead pixels slap-bang in the centre of my screen.

I expect pretty much perfection after such a massive investment in Apple stuff (around £1350 - and I am a student. That was literally three months of full-time summer-job wages).

And now I am now fully expecting white spots...
  • Reply 248 of 588
    The new screen has so far not shown any sign of developing white spots. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.
  • Reply 249 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    I just found a stuck-white pixel. This is the sixth Apple portable I've owned, and the first time I've had any defective pixels. I knew that this would happen after the white spot repair.

Oh well, it's not that bad, and certainly not as bad as the spots.
  • Reply 250 of 588
    well i've finally come of age.....i have the white spots. it took a couple weeks, but they are finally here. guess i should just get in line huh?
  • Reply 251 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by booyaka

well i've finally come of age.....i have the white spots. it took a couple weeks, but they are finally here. guess i should just get in line huh?

How many do you have and where are they located?
  • Reply 252 of 588
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've been out of the loop for the past four days or so...does anyone know if Apple has said anything about this stuff? Or is everyone simply subject to luck-of-the-draw and so forth when purchasing a new PowerBook (the 15" one, anyway).

Surely this isn't how it's going to be.

I'd be curious to see some sort of internal Apple list or document showing the number of complaints/returns/exchanges/repairs they've had to deal with in the past month on this new PowerBook.
  • Reply 253 of 588
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

I've been out of the loop for the past four days or so...does anyone know if Apple has said anything about this stuff?

Apple has said nothing about this. There is definitely a manufacturing problem with the 15" powerbook, which results in unusually high number of defective machines. And Apple is well aware of this.

The white spot issue does not seem to affect the other powerbooks, as similar reports for the 12" and 17" are almost nonexistent. Kind of paradox, since the manufacturing process should be the same. Perhaps it has to do with the particular plant(s) in which the 15" powerbooks are assembled.

There are people reporting that there are significant delays in their orders for these powerbooks. For some, this is an indication that Apple tries to temporarily limit shipments (just to limit the number of returned defective machines) until they figure out what is going on and find a permanent fix.
  • Reply 254 of 588
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    interesting. i'll have to contact my dad (he got one a while back) and see if he's having any white spot issues.

anyone know approx. what percentage of people are having the white spot problem? i know it always seems like a lot more than it really is.
  • Reply 255 of 588
    my powerbook is back at last for the second time. Latch now works, screen now looks good - time will tell.

I'm interested to know other people's startup times. Mine takes 50 spins of the spokes before the progress bar appears, which seems like a very long time. Is it likely to improve with Panther (which, incidentally, I was approved the Up-To-Date upgrade despite buying the machine on September 21st)
  • Reply 256 of 588
    cj3209cj3209 Posts: 158member
    I've heard that the PB checks up on RAM at Start-Up so if you have a good amount of RAM, it'll take some time. In any case, I rarely shut down my PB, preferring to go into SLEEP mode.

• Reply 257 of 588
    So is apple likely to replace my screen if I have just one white spot, dead center in the screen? I'm going to go ape-shit if I ship it out for a week and get it back unrepaired!
  • Reply 258 of 588
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

So is apple likely to replace my screen if I have just one white spot, dead center in the screen? I'm going to go ape-shit if I ship it out for a week and get it back unrepaired!

I think it's whether it has the spots, not how many. Depending upon who you talk to at which time, they will either hint at a systematic problem, come right out and tell you there is a problem and they are committed to fixing it, or act like they have never heard the words "white" and "spots" in the same sentence before. Par for the course, for Apple, I guess. When I called, I got a guy who was clearly a fan, a geek, and really interested in talking about Macs and so on. He didn't tell me Steve's home phone number, but he knew that I wasn't joe sixpack who was having trouble finding the "Start" button, either.

I've tried to be very zen about the whole thing and think long-term. I am checking my display every day, however.
  • Reply 259 of 588
    I only have the standard 512mb
  • Reply 260 of 588
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nick DTM

i dunno, when i called they didnt ask me how many spots i had. they just told me it would be repaired (i am waiting another week or so to see if any new problems come up). but i have enough dead pixels to qualify for a new screen anyway.