So who likes panther???

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    I like it and I think it is wroth the money.

But it is not groundbreaking or anything.

Expose is by far the best feature.

The speed gains are good, but do not rock the world.

All in all, get it for sure, but do not expect a whole new system.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rbfoye

I like it and I think it is wroth the money.

But it is not groundbreaking or anything.

Expose is by far the best feature.

The speed gains are good, but do not rock the world.

All in all, get it for sure, but do not expect a whole new system.

i hve 10.1 so i will be expecting a big difference
  • Reply 23 of 57
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

10.1...man that was slow. Panther should be a revelation.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    algolalgol Posts: 833member
    Panther is by far the most stable, fastest, and feature full version of any OS ever made. I checked in the terminal, and I noticed that iTunes does not take up much of the CPU while playing music anymore. In 10.2.8 it would take around 11% now it takes about 4%. I checked and it is the same with all apps. Somehow apple has found a way to make all apps use less CPU which makes everything seem faster. Also don't ask me how but I can open mail, address book, safari, ichat, and itunes at the same time and it takes about as long as it used to take to open itunes for the first time after a restart. Oh and it starts up a lot faster. I didn't time it but it is a lot faster. I dual G5 2Ghz probably starts up in like 10 seconds now. lol OS 10.3 Kicks major Windows Ass
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nano

It will be a huge difference from 10.1.

get it ASAP and you will have a new MAC!!!!
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Well expose alone is worth the upgrade price of panther, if they just added expose to jaguar and repackaged it as panther I still would have bought it.

When working on webpages or programming I always have like 5 photoshop windows open and like 15 PHP scripts and 4 web pages its much easier to get through them all with expose than the dock..
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by admactanium

anyone else having an issue with the mouse tracking settings not staying put? i put it on the fastest setting and as soon as i quit out of preferences it goes back to default.

[edit] oh, i found out it's conflicting with usb overdrive's mouse speed settings. [/edit]

Since you have a Microsoft Mouse, there are issues with the 5.0 version of their driver. Best is to use the 3.x version, which works perfectly with Panther. Read the reviews on versiontracker as they describe these bugs.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    One fix nobody's mentioned that really bothered me in Jaguar has finally be fixed in Panther: In column / list view in the finder, if you create a new folder, Jaguar would automatically deselect it. You would have to select it again just to change the name. Well thankfully, Panther finally fixed this and makes it work like in OS 9: A new folder stays highlighted so you can edit the name. Finally.

Also, I really like the new Disk Utility app and most of the preference panes. The organization is much better, although I need to get used to where everthing is.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    ragexragex Posts: 126member
    I love it so far, no issues.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Of course, there are a couple of things that aren't so great - like the fact that you still can't adjust the column widths in the Save/Open dialog boxes (so long file name get chopped in the middle)

Sure you can.

The columns can be changed to nearly any width, just drag the little || icon at the bottom of each column. They resize individually.

Also, the open/save windows themselves are resizable, which gives you more room and more columns.

No, resized columns are not remembered, but the window size is, on a per-application basis.

Are running Panther? Or did you just miss this?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    panther is very cool so far, but i have a couple of minor issues since i installed it. msn messenger keeps quitting for no reason, even after i re-installed it too. does anyone else here use msn messenger who can report on how it is working for them under 10.3? AOL has also become unstable. oddly, when i installed panther from the up-to-date discs, i wanted to do a clean install, but it never gave me that option. just did an upgrade.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    I have to say that I find it alot smoother.....Snappier? as well!

My only qualm, and I'm not too sure if it's the 1.25 PB of mine, but airport reception seems really crappy. I have AE on the PB and a graphite basestation, and I get only 2 or 3 bars of reception. I've reseated the AE card and antenna. Don't know what else to do. Anyone else have Airport issues?

Other than that, Panther feels like it's one of those OS's that you find more and more little details the more you use it.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    I like Panther a lot, but I have some GUI issues with it. Stablity and feature-wise, it's a pretty rock solid OS.

Here's the interface Glitches that I found to be annoying etc.

http://homepage.mac.com/justspaztik/panthergui

Yes, I realize I am picky, but I think that Apple would make an even better experience if they cleaned up some of the old interface elements still stuck in the OS.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    My iMac (17" 1 Gig, 768 Mg Ram) set up is fairly simple. Ran Disk Utility (Repair Permissions) before and after installation. No non-Apple apps other then Virex. No network, etc. I just did a simple install. Everything came out fine. All my files were saved and no crashes or slowdowns. Much faster then Jaguar. There's a new logo for internet connect. Also the flag on the toolbar!
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Only problem iv had so far is bit torrent, after i go to download it unexpedally quits on me. i did fresh install, so i dunno.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I'm loving it! If Apple keeps this up, it might be years before I can justify a new computer though. It's like having a new iMac with this upgrade.

BTW, Spaztik, in your web page, you mention you're looking for a way to turn off Fast User Switching? You can turn that off with a checkbox in the Accounts System Preference pane. Or did you just mean the icon thing in the upper right?
  • Reply 37 of 57
    jwilljwill Posts: 209member
    I like Panther. I'm not gonna chant for joy, but there are a few things I like.

- Expose of course. I can easily access the Finder using F11, and switch windows using F9 (or that secret blob.. )

- The new Finder. Yeah, a lot of people don't like the brushed metal plague, but I actually like brushed metal, because it makes the Finder windows have draggable borders. I love plastic buttons too!

- .Zip compression. I went over this a little with my brother today. He's the one who told me that it actually is better than .sit in some sense. I stuffed my pictures folder (15.5 MB) and zipped it with the built-in zip compression. The stuffit file was 5.5 MB and the zip file was 3.1! Well, it looks like I'll be using .zip from now on.

- Faster feeling of the computer. I swear my computer never turned off faster. Hmm..it also drops sheets a little faster too, and I think there's a faster feeling overall, but I'm too slow to recognize.

I think whether it's worth its money or not is a dispute, but I'm not gonna say it was a waste, because I will benefit from the new features eventually.
  • Reply 38 of 57
    2 things.

1) If i could marry exposé i would. (really no joshing)

2) i am copying 4 gigs of musics over the network from my other machine and i like the fact i can flick on expose and see at a glance how close the thermoter in the file copy dialog is done.since its current burried behind 10 windows.

simple but neat.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 570member
    A few things I'm not cool with -

I used to click on white space in a finder window in list view to deselect a file. Now clicking anywhere on the same horizontal level as a file selects it, which is annoying.

Also it's no longer possible to select mulitple files in list view by clicking and dragging a selection box over them.. I'm sure this was possible in Jaguar, or am I confused..?

I find the highlighted file title is too bold when selected.

There's just too much brushed metal taking over my desktop. The best directory improvement is the 'Save as' window from an app. I rather then entire Finder was more like this with less embellishment. Finally it's possible to view by date etc, but it still always seems to default to 'by name', and if you then click on 'by date' it lists the OLDEST first which is plain DUMB - does anyone know otherwise?

Oh, and I don't like the way labelled files look in list view, it's very distracting and plain ugly.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Also it's no longer possible to select mulitple files in list view by clicking and dragging a selection box over them.. I'm sure this was possible in Jaguar, or am I confused..?

Click-drag through the white area around the text (filenames, dates, etc).