Obligatory Matrix Revolutions SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• Reply 21 of 102
    gambitgambit Posts: 475member
    Yea, it seemed to me that once the code was imprinted unto Neo, the Core wiped it from Neo and then was able to wipe it from everybody Smith had copied himself to because they knew what they were looking for.

Yea, at the end, the Matrix still exists, but instead of trying to deal with the anomolies (that is, those that reject the Matrix), the Architect had decided to let those go. I can see the humans rebuilding Zion, spreading from there, and eventually the humans and the machines coexisting. That's what the machines wanted in the first place, and they even came up with a brilliant plan to coexist without taking over what the humans had created. It was the humans who rejected the plan and then scorched the skies. The machines retaliated by overpowering them and eventually creating the Matrix.

Still saddened by the end though there is great hope left for rebuilding both civilizations.
  • Reply 22 of 102
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    One other thing, what was the deal with Smith calling the oracle mom? I assume the oracle called him a bastard because she knew he took over her body, but that doesn't explain smith calling her mom. I also assume then Serrif (oracle's bodyguard) was temporarily taken over by Smith too. I guess I totally don't understand how Neo sees things by their energy or whatever, so he should've been able to see trinity in the ship when she was lying on the ground then right? I am sure the more I think about it I will have more questions.
  • Reply 23 of 102
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    BTW, the notion of being an "ammo boy" for those robo-gunfighter thingies is just insane. What kinda nut is going to wait in a shelter and then run out in the middle of a combat zone pushing a cart of ammo when somebody calls in a "reload"? Yeah, it's about sheer bravery for a cause, but damn, if that is an unnecessarily perilous reality to keep your robots armed...
  • Reply 24 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubs23

I guess I totally don't understand how Neo sees things by their energy or whatever, so he should've been able to see trinity in the ship when she was lying on the ground then right? I am sure the more I think about it I will have more questions.

The only thing I come up with is that she had very little life left in her at that point, hence her energy signature would be faint to Neo. However, that is inconsistent with him not being aware that she was fatally wounded until she clarified her condition. [camera pulls back to reveal her impaled pretty heinously] I found that scene kind of humorous in a sick way. Like, "Oh gee, how did I miss that. You got 4 rods sticking through you." Anyways, if her energy signs were faint, Neo should have caught onto that right away that there was something seriously wrong when he finally located her. So yes, I do think you identified a juicy lapse in movie logic in that scene.
  • Reply 25 of 102
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

The only thing I come up with is that she had very little life left in her at that point, hence her energy signature would be faint to Neo. However, that is inconsistent with him not being aware that she was fatally wounded until she clarified her condition. [camera pulls back to reveal her impaled pretty heinously] I found that scene kind of humorous in a sick way. Like, "Oh gee, how did I miss that. You got 4 rods sticking through you." Anyways, if her energy signs were faint, Neo should have caught onto that right away that there was something seriously wrong when he finally located her. So yes, I do think you identified a juicy lapse in movie logic in that scene.

There were no energy signs coming from her at all. She wasn't a machine.
  • Reply 26 of 102
    I thought the premise was that he could see energy in general, whether it be life energy in organic beings or conventional energy in machines.
  • Reply 27 of 102
    No, he was only connected to the machines. That's how he was able to feel the squiddies and destroy them, and that's how he was able to see Smith in Bane.
  • Reply 28 of 102
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    If I am not completely mistaken, Neo can see the blueish-green matrix *and* the energy (yellowish-golden). However, he can see the matrix only when he is inside the matrix (makes sense, huh? *g*).

The first time Trinity was dying they were both inside the matrix if I recall right (she promised him not to go inside but then later did after the demolition crew failed to shut down the power grid).

At the moment they visit machine city, they are outside the matrix and he cannot reanimate her.
  • Reply 29 of 102
    Neo and Smith are seemingly connected in a similar way as the architect and the oracle. Both are pairs of diametrically opposed characters but both are linked.

The relationship between Neo and Smith is less obvious as it seems in the beginning. After Neo gets shot and only moments later jumps through Smith (in Part 1), they share a connection where Neo gains some super-human capabilities (his Superman thing) and Smith gains some biological traits: as he reveals in part 3, he knows about the finiteness of life, he detaches from his control program (part 2, where he sends his earplug to Neo) and tries to win power for himself.

The oracle seems to be the chaotic counterpart to the very rational and unemotional architect. Where he devises a Matrix based on formulas, she is the one who introduces emotion (love) as the anomaly. With love comes suffering and this is what is needed to keep the humans inside the Matrix from commiting suicide like they did in the first, perfect Matrix.

Either the architect *and* the oracle are programs with a higher status (let's say kernel programs) or they are both humans, since in the last minutes of part 3, they obviously talk about changing the Matrix parameters and letting humans escape if they so wish. The relationship between those two and the machines is unclear to me - originally it was inferred the Matrix was invented by the machines.

As the little child is a program, one would assume the last scene to be part of the matrix. However, the weather clears up which would mean it is part of the real world (humans created the bad weather artificially to starve the solar-powered machines, whereas inside the matrix, the weather is mostly normal).

The subway station and trainman seemed artificial to me - it just did not make too much sense. Why is Neo trapped there and not just unconcious? If programs can interact with humans in the subway, the subway must be part of the Matrix, right?
  • Reply 30 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Smircle

Neo and Smith are seemingly connected in a similar way as the architect and the oracle. Both are pairs of diametrically opposed characters but both are linked.

The relationship between Neo and Smith is less obvious as it seems in the beginning. After Neo gets shot and only moments later jumps through Smith (in Part 1), they share a connection where Neo gains some super-human capabilities (his Superman thing) and Smith gains some biological traits: as he reveals in part 3, he knows about the finiteness of life, he detaches from his control program (part 2, where he sends his earplug to Neo) and tries to win power for himself.

The oracle seems to be the chaotic counterpart to the very rational and unemotional architect. Where he devises a Matrix based on formulas, she is the one who introduces emotion (love) as the anomaly. With love comes suffering and this is what is needed to keep the humans inside the Matrix from commiting suicide like they did in the first, perfect Matrix.

Either the architect *and* the oracle are programs with a higher status (let's say kernel programs) or they are both humans, since in the last minutes of part 3, they obviously talk about changing the Matrix parameters and letting humans escape if they so wish. The relationship between those two and the machines is unclear to me - originally it was inferred the Matrix was invented by the machines.

As the little child is a program, one would assume the last scene to be part of the matrix. However, the weather clears up which would mean it is part of the real world (humans created the bad weather artificially to starve the solar-powered machines, whereas inside the matrix, the weather is mostly normal).

The subway station and trainman seemed artificial to me - it just did not make too much sense. Why is Neo trapped there and not just unconcious? If programs can interact with humans in the subway, the subway must be part of the Matrix, right?

Neo and Smith are opposites, as said in the movie. They are the results of an unbalanced equation in the matrix. As one gets stronger, the other does too. However, if one dies/ceases to exist the other must also cease to exist. So, in terms of only Neo (Smith not in the picture), the equation is unbalanced. If you add Smith into the equation, then it is theoretically balanced. So, if you thought enough about that equation in the beginning of the movie, you would know that in order for Smith to be defeated, Neo had to die. There was NO way around it.

The idea of the 5 previous versions of "The One" still makes sense. The reason this time was different is because Smith and Neo both grew so powerful. Neo did not return to the source. Although we can't really say what would have happened to Smith if he had.

The weather clearing up at the end could definately be the matrix. Neo and Smith were fighting in that huge rain storm remember? Smith seemed to have gained control of most of the matrix, so that could have been his doing.

They really left the movie open at the end though. Obviously the equation will someday become unbalanced again. But what then?
  • Reply 31 of 102
    The trainman and subway station were not part of the matrix per se, but they were not part of the real world.

I guess they would be akin to the training programs that zionites use, it is just linked too the matrix directly.
  • Reply 32 of 102
    Quote:

The subway/trainman thing wasn't too well expressed. AFAICT, the station is outside the Matrix or a part of it where only the trainman can access or allow those exiles who are to leave(?).

The Matrix at the end has changed for the programs, too, I think. Exiles can be there freely and do as they wish (the little girl created super-sunrise). Before, the girl had to leave (or be deleted) because she had no purpose.

I dug the film all-in-all.
  • Reply 33 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by jfried

Neo and Smith are opposites, as said in the movie. They are the results of an unbalanced equation in the matrix. As one gets stronger, the other does too. However, if one dies/ceases to exist the other must also cease to exist. So, in terms of only Neo (Smith not in the picture), the equation is unbalanced.

But Smith calls the Oracle "mother", so she had part in his creation.

And it is pretty clear from the architects' monologue that the oracle is *his* opposite, she is the source of the imbalance.
  • Reply 34 of 102
    TV SERIES!!!!

I really think the Warchowski bros have created such a rich universe with the matrix that it could spawn a good tv series.

First, you would think that they have several matrices running at the same time since they appearantly start from scratch from time to time. (Don't you think a computer intelligence would keep a backup ) And they suggested that the internal matrix timeline may go all the way back to the middle ages since werewolf and ghost programs were created. So I'm picturing several independent matrices at different stages of history.

As for Revolutions-

I agree that the ending suggested that only those people who have the "splinter in their minds" and instinctively want to escape the matrix will be let go. I don't think there would be enough resources to support all the people in the matrix if they were freed, so in some ways it is a symbiotic relationship.

Also, there would appear to be many advantages to being grown in the matrix as opposed to natural birth. Being able to learn anything via a brain upload would provide great advantages over the old fashioned way. I imagine some sort of cultural schizm would exist between the homegrown and matrixgrown humans. Yet more interesting material for a TV series.
  • Reply 35 of 102
    My take on all of this:

Quote:

For every superhero there are supervillains, as was pointed out in Unbreakable. Sherlock had his Moriarty, Superman had his Lex Luthor, Batman had his Joker, and Neo had his Smith. They shared a connection only because they were on the same path, just the opposite ends of the spectrum. This was coined as such: Neo is the anomoly, while Smith is the negative anomoly; they're both the remainders in an unbalanced equation. That's the link they share: one is trying to save the world while the other is trying to take it over. Ironically, it's Neo who has to save both the machines and the humans from a computer-created program.

In the first Matrix, Smith likened the humans to a virus, and at the end, it is Smith who became the virus, spreading everywhere, and taking over the Matrix.

Their only real link is that one is the bad guy and the other is the good guy. Again, you can't have good without bad and vice versa.

Almost like Anakin bringing balance to the Force: how he did this was to become father to Luke and then become the ultimate bad guy, opposite of Luke. Anakin and Luke then balanced out Force because they were on opposite ends of the same path.

Quote:

I'm not certain this is true. I'm pretty certain that the reason Neo is able to do what he could do is because he was just that good. Neo was the ultimate One, and while there had been previous Ones before him, they didn't have the power (possibly motivated by love) that Neo had. Even the Architect was surprised by Neo's abilities. (You could see this during their meeting at the end of Reloaded both in the Architect's reactions and in the reactions of the previous Ones before Neo on the screen.)

Even the Merv was surprised to see Neo as powerful as he was. No, Neo didn't get his powers from Smith, he was just THE One.

Smith, on the other hand, became a rogue program BECAUSE of Neo. That's what his speech in Reloaded was about: he was created to police the Matrix until Neo destroyed him. Afterwords, Smith couldn't let himself be deleted and gave himself his own agenda, his on purpose, and that was to kill Neo and take over the Matrix, setting himself to be opposite of Neo.

To a program (and everyone in the Matrix movies, really), purpose is everything: it's their reason for existing. Since Neo took that away from Smith, Smith made it his job to make sure he never became obsolete again.

Quote:

I don't agree with this exactly, either. See, the Matrix is composed of checks and balances, and the only reason the first Matrix did not work is because this didn't exist in it: life was perfect in every way, which to the human psyche just doesn't compute. Knowing his limitations, the Architect, the CREATOR of the Matrix (he IS a program), knew he had to come up with his exact opposite, and the end result was the creation of the Oracle. It was she who figured out that human life couldn't fit into perfect equations, but inadvertantly realized that the machines could not live the way they were living forever. I'm pretty sure she was the first to realize that humans need machines and machines need humans, and not in the way the world was currently existing.

Quote:

The Oracle and Architect are not kernal programs; their presence in the Matrix are the physical embodiments of what they really are: the original programmers. Again, though they may have programmed the Matrix (which was coded by the Architect with input from the Oracle), it was necessary for their collaboration to make the Matrix work. Again, their connection is that they're the exact opposites on the same path.

Quote:

The last scene WAS in the Matrix. The real-world is crumbling and falling apart, though I can't imagine it would be like that for TOO much longer. It really is a matter of time before the humans and machines come together to rebuild. Regardless, the last scene in the Matrix with the weather clearing up was the Matrix, probably the Architect, removing the changes Smith had made. Remember, Smith took over the ENTIRE Matrix. There was no one left that wasn't Smith, including the humans and the programs that governed the Matrix.

And again, that super-sunset was created by the little girl, who was a program written by two other programs and personified in that little girl, originally planned for deletion. Perhaps a better program was written to govern the weather; regardless, she was going to be deleted but the ones who programmed her (her "parents") had too deep a connection to allow that to happen.

Which brings me to my next point.....

Quote:

The Subway IS part of the Matrix. it's a program the Merovingian wrote as a placeholder for programs that are not yet deleted. The best analogy is like Mac OS's Trash. You can put files in there, but unless you Empty the trash, the files will remain in limbo: useless, but not gone.

lol Any other questions?

Edited to clarify some points.
  • Reply 36 of 102
    nwhyseenwhysee Posts: 151member
    ^^Awesome use of Mac lingo in that post^^
  • Reply 37 of 102
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    wow. the movie didn't suck.

i'm happy.
  • Reply 38 of 102
    I was just reading all of the scathing reviews by the critics towards Revolutions, and then it hit me: the third film was a hard one to swallow. It really is. I'm thinking it's a hard one to like because it doesn't give you all of the answers and the ending is very bitter-sweet.

Most people are used to movies gift-wrapped and handed to them, and I find most people can't stand most movies with open-endings or endings with some loose ends and unanswered questions.

Personally, that's why I liked Revolutions, because there really was no clean way to end it..... but that doesn't mean I didn't find the way it ended tough to take.
  • Reply 39 of 102
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sam pitt

I was just reading all of the scathing reviews by the critics towards Revolutions, and then it hit me: the third film was a hard one to swallow. It really is. I'm thinking it's a hard one to like because it doesn't give you all of the answers and the ending is very bitter-sweet.

Most people are used to movies gift-wrapped and handed to them, and I find most people can't stand most movies with open-endings or endings with some loose ends and unanswered questions.

Personally, that's why I liked Revolutions, because there really was no clean way to end it..... but that doesn't mean I didn't find the way it ended tough to take.

Good point, it is not very common of movies these days to have any main protagonist die. let alone two.

The more I think about revolutions, the more I like the ending. it was not the doozy I was hoping for, but it was satisfying in its own ways.

all in all, the 3 movies are excellent, true triumphs in film making.
  • Reply 40 of 102
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    first off, Neo didn't die.

secondly, it would have been way cooler for them to do a LeBrea (sp?) Tarpit style ending to take care of agent Smith.

instead of Neo getting infected then having the architect find the "cure", it would have been much cooler to have Neo stuck for eternity fighting Agent Smith. as long as he's fighting, agent Smith is occupied and everyone is safe.

if Neo stops, Smith gets out and can infect everyone.