baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

Name one.

Browser Cookies.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    macs have spyware?

cookies are a different story... they run through a browser... so you can just turn them off... is there an application that runs without the user knowing about it that collects advertising information?
  • Reply 63 of 82
    Cookies are spyware.. can't deny it... macs are vunerable to some things...
  • Reply 64 of 82
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Name one.

Spyware includes any keyloggers, any remote monitoring/access software that can be surreptitiously installed, any software that sends info without your express orders, etc.

You cannot seriously say this type of software is absent on the Mac platform unless your blood kool-aid content is 90%.
  • Reply 65 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Browser Cookies.

Nope. That's not spyware.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Cookies are spyware.. can't deny it... macs are vunerable to some things...

No, they're not.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Spyware includes any keyloggers, any remote monitoring/access software that can be surreptitiously installed, any software that sends info without your express orders, etc.

Name one.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:

Name one.

There's a Mac version of SubSeven floating around. What the hell are you trying to prove?

Any remote monitoring software, like Aquamon can be used as spyware even.
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Cookies can be spyware, spybot picks them up as spyware... and they contain info about what you do on your computer... seems like spying to me.
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:

Originally posted by scavanger

Cookies can be spyware, spybot picks them up as spyware... and they contain info about what you do on your computer... seems like spying to me.

And if you close your browser, what happens? If you don't go to a site that can read the cookies? Nothing.

I don't know what spybot is, but I'd imagine it looks at ALL the cookies on your system. But guess what? No server on the internet can do that. If I were to look at your cookies, I could tell where you've been, but to a server DOES NOT have access to the cookies on your system, unless it set them.
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:

There's a Mac version of SubSeven floating around. What the hell are you trying to prove?

Any remote monitoring software, like Aquamon can be used as spyware even.

Nothing. I'm just trying to get you to actually answer a question rather than patronize and pontificate at will.

So, you say that there is spyware on Macs and your best answer is that some software CAN be used as spyware? Hell, Apple Remote Desktop could be spyware then. Nice one.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    Quote:

Nothing. I'm just trying to get you to actually answer a question rather than patronize and pontificate at will.

So, you say that there is spyware on Macs and your best answer is that some software CAN be used as spyware? Hell, Apple Remote Desktop could be spyware then. Nice one.

What about SubSeven? I'm not the one making the dubious claim here. What the hell is wrong with you?
  • Reply 73 of 82
    Quote:

What about SubSeven? I'm not the one making the dubious claim here. What the hell is wrong with you?

Wrong with me? You accuse me of "having 90% kool aid for blood" because I stated that there's no spyware on the Mac and there's something wrong with ME? You take things a little too personally, especially when someone actually tries to make you answer a question instead of letting you just get out of it because you're bombastic.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

And if you close your browser, what happens? If you don't go to a site that can read the cookies? Nothing.

Argh... On a PC... if you close Kazaa, what happens? If you don't use it? Nothing.

IT IS STILL SPYWARE.

Edit: Boy this thread has derailed. What about iTunes? Perhaps it's time for a good old locking. Especially with the quick fire (bombastic) attacks flying back and forth.

• Reply 75 of 82
    Quote:

Argh... On a PC... if you close Kazaa, what happens? If you don't use it? Nothing.

IT IS STILL SPYWARE.

Not the same. Cookies are not spyware. And that's all I'm saying on the issue. Go look up how cookies can and can't be used and when you know, we'll talk.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:

Wrong with me? You accuse me of "having 90% kool aid for blood" because I stated that there's no spyware on the Mac and there's something wrong with ME? You take things a little too personally, especially when someone actually tries to make you answer a question instead of letting you just get out of it because you're bombastic.

I didn't "name one" because I could have named quite a bit more than that. You're making an impossible claim and believing it, and you're calling me bombastic? I gave you two answers, both valid. You dismissed one as circumstantial and ignored the other completely.

I'm pompous because you won't admit your own mistake?
  • Reply 77 of 82
    Quote:

IT IS STILL SPYWARE.

LimeWire too. The authors readily admit to it, but won't tell us exactly what info they gather and send to marketers for profit.

And of course there are any number console apps that you can probably download from freshmeat.net or elsewhere that fit the bill too. And even legitimate non-spyware apps distributed as source code can be tainted by malicious code.

Saying there's no spyware on Mac OS is just naive and simply incorrect for even the narrowest definition of the term.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:

LimeWire too. The authors readily admit to it, but won't tell us exactly what info they gather and send to marketers for profit.

And of course there are any number console apps that you can probably download from freshmeat.net or elsewhere that fit the bill too. And even legitimate non-spyware apps distributed as source code can be tainted by malicious code.

Saying there's no spyware on Mac OS is just naive and simply incorrect for even the narrowest definition of the term.

Holy shit, Eugene! You're right! If just found that if I type "sudo netstat" in the terminal, I see all kinds of information! Just imagine if someone got access to my computer and did that! Like hacking into it... oh, wait, that's being hacked. Not the same as spyware.

Spyware, since you insist on being blind to the definition, is software that is installed on a user's system, as a result of their installing some other software. Why would I install sub7 on my computer or anything that comes with it? Sure, I could get hacked and it could be installed, but that's not the same.
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:

Holy shit, Eugene! You're right! If just found that if I type "sudo netstat" in the terminal, I see all kinds of information! Just imagine if someone got access to my computer and did that! Like hacking into it... oh, wait, that's being hacked. Not the same as spyware.

Spyware, since you insist on being blind to the definition, is software that is installed on a user's system, as a result of their installing some other software. Why would I install sub7 on my computer or anything that comes with it? Sure, I could get hacked and it could be installed, but that's not the same.

At least you know what you're getting with netstat, and you're not sending it across the network, like LimeWire and other p2p apps. But sure, netstat can be used against you if you don't know it's being used.

Also, do you know how frickin' easy it is to create a .pkg which includes an app such as SubSeven? PackageMaker + a StartupItem script anybody? Quit being so stubborn.
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Quote:

Also, do you know how frickin' easy it is to create a .pkg which includes an app such as SubSeven? PackageMaker + a StartupItem script anybody? Quit being so stubborn.

So, we went from your saying that there IS spyware on the Mac, to do you know how easy it is to make? Whatever.

I've taken this thread OT enough as it is. If you want to continue, maybe we can use the multiple threads asking this very question?

Here

or

Here

For example. You'll notice, of course, that you're opinion is in the minority in those threads and you've been conspicuously silent in them.