Next iTunes To Have Mixing Capability?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    Dj mixing is neat....if you're a DJ.

personally, i'd be much more enthusiastic about the addition of basic CD label printing from itunes. that's something i can use with each and every disc i burn....
  • Reply 22 of 47
    I don't really care about DJ mixing in my iPod, but it would be nice if they fleshed out the crossfade controls a little from the automatic cross they have now.

What I would REALLY like to see is built in Key Correction pitch control, THAT would be excellent! even if it only could manipulate the pitch by a value of -50%-+50% it'd still be totally awesome.

Then add the ability for pitch controls on the iPod and I'm totally stoked.

turn my powerbook into the transcribing machine!

There may be merit in this mixing thing, seeing as how BPM has been a category for organization for a while now, But I don't know, I really just want pitch controls.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I can't imagine that many consumers caring about mixing songs from within iTunes. It makes me wonder if Apple will release the following for free:

iTune 5.0

iPhoto 3.0

iMovie 4.0

While selling a new iLife 2.0 bundle for $100 dollars consisting of the following apps:

iTunes Pro 5.0

iPhoto Pro 3.0

iMovie Pro 4.0

iDVD Pro 4.0

The pro versions will have more capabilities than there lite free counter-parts (such as the iTunes DJ mixing functions). This would be similiar to Apple's Quicktime pricing stucture. The lite free version could be upgraded to the pro version of $29.99 for each one of the iApps. This way Apple can make more money off of its software.

Just my two cents.
  • Reply 24 of 47
    A DJ function within iPod software would be great for DJ's and many others who want to manipulate their music.

If you know DJ's as well as I do, you would know just how many records and CD's these people buy every week. Hunting old records and collecting songs are avocations for these people, often traveling to other cities in their quest.

They are a profitable niche for sure and a worthy target market that influence a great number of potential buyers, especially the prime 14 to 28 ages.

Apple would have a winner here and they know it, especially as a building block for more sophisticated software down the road for the high end market. Wouldn't hurt at all to make a few bucks as development proceeds to the final professional grade product while also driving iPods sales along the way.

• Reply 25 of 47
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Fake!

Good thing, too. Announcing that new feature in iTunes would have been similar to Apple only offering one genre of music on in the iTunes Music Store or the streaming radio channels. That's just not something Apple would want to do--give entire segments of the consumer population the brush-off.

Of course, if SJ did make an announcement like that, I'm sure a lot of people within range of the reality distortion field would eat it up. "The iTunes programmers and I think this DJing feature is really cool, and we know you will too."
  • Reply 26 of 47
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mlnjr

That's just not something Apple would want to do--give entire segments of the consumer population the brush-off.

Making a product that doesn't benefit YOU isn't giving you the "brush off", it's satisfying demand. Bloody trolls.

Barto
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Your argument about me being a bloody troll would hold a little more water if every post in this thread disagreed with me.

Who said I'm the only person in the world who wouldn't benefit from that feature? I certainly didn't. Wrong Robot made a similar comment ("I don't really care about DJ mixing in my iPod") as did koffedrnkr ("DJ mixing is neat... if you're a DJ.") Seems to me that people aren't going to care about that "new" feature if they're not currently waiting for Apple to add that feature at long last. Nowhere did I imply (or did I meant to imply, anyway) that I was only looking out for myself and Apple should do the same for me.

And you are incorrect: Only carrying one genre of music in the iTunes Music Store would indeed be a brush-off to the millions of people in the world who don't like, say, polka music. Apple is too consumer-savvy to make a misstep like that, however. Similarly, Apple isn't likely to include those faked DJing features in the next iTunes simply because there just isn't enough universal consumer demand for it. Nothing on the level of the demand for the ability to create/buy compressed digital music files or work with digital photography or video, anyway. See my point?
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Quote:

And you are incorrect: Only carrying one genre of music in the iTunes Music Store would indeed be a brush-off to the millions of people in the world who don't like, say, polka music. Apple is too consumer-savvy to make a misstep like that, however. Similarly, Apple isn't likely to include those faked DJing features in the next iTunes simply because there just isn't enough universal consumer demand for it. Nothing on the level of the demand for the ability to create/buy compressed digital music files or work with digital photography or video, anyway. See my point?

There are literally hundreds of features in Mac OS X that appeal only to a select crowd (X11, developer tools, even applications like Address Book and Mail). Including them isn't "brushing off" anyone. You DON'T have to just include features with huge popular appeal.

Barto
  • Reply 29 of 47
    True, X11 and the developer tools only appeal to certain ubergeeks and not the masses. That's a good point there. But I'll go out on a limb and say Apple gives everyone Address Book and Mail probably because organizing addresses, sending and receiving e-mail are kind of popular activities and not some passing fad based on the popularity of a music genre. I invite you to tell me that DJing is more popular than sending e-mail. Your argument isn't all that strong, and it's not helped by breaking out the Fark/Slashdot/wherever STFU cliché either.

Don't you think Apple has done some market research? Why include that DJing feature if the only people (as made clear ad nauseam in this thread) who are going to care about it are DJs? Fans of that kind of music, anyway... That Karaoke feature that used to be in iTunes a few revisions ago was kind of cool for the novelty factor, but do you think it mattered to people who filled their iTunes libraries with classical music or who swear by the Blues category in the streaming radio stations? I don't think so. Where'd that feature go?

You don't like the "brushing off" idea, then fine. Let's not say that Apple would be brushing off entire segments of consumers by including the DJing tools. Let's instead say it this way: Too many people won't care.
  • Reply 30 of 47
    Who are you to decide what has mass appeal and what doesn't?

Barto
  • Reply 31 of 47
    You didn't give me a lot to go on in that post, but I'll reply anyway: Who is any member on this board who speculates about what Apple might or might not do? Oooh, how dare they!

I don't have to decide what has mass appeal and what doesn't. Apple does a good enough job of paying attention to those trends based on the decisions consumers like you and me make, and I can say with some degree of certainty that a vast number of iTunes users would have no use for DJing tools so Apple would be wasting time and money including a feature like that. That's not to say that there aren't DJing fans out there, or that DJing fans wouldn't be thrilled if Apple included a feature like that. I'm just saying that the number of consumers who would benefit from that feature probably isn't large enough to warrant including it. Yes, electronic music is one of the genres represented in the iTunes Music Store and in the streaming radio channels, but it isn't the only one (and judging by the list of top-selling songs and albums on the iTMS, it's certainly not the most popular genre either. But let's give everyone DJ tools and watch those Electronic titles shoot to the top, right?)

Unless anyone here would care to enlighten me and tell me that the features would be desirable to nearly all iTunes users. I'm prepared to eat my hat on this one. Barto, I'll buy you a beer if similar DJ tools ever end up in iTunes as part of some Apple update.

What if there were no iTunes radio stations to begin with, and at MWSF Steve announced the streaming radio stations as a new feature BUT said Apple would be introducing them one genre at a time? What if that first genre happened to be drum and bass or whatever variety of techno? Hell, what if it were native American tribal chants or something? Not to offend any native Americans or fans of that genre of music here, but don't you think a lot--even the majority--of iTunes users would feel left out if Apple did that? Fortunately, we all know Apple wouldn't do something like that. The decision makers at Apple are smarter than that.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Just because DJing doesn't work with all music genres doesn't make it a bad thing to include. Hell, how many people listen to iTunes radio stations? How many people use Exchange compatibility in Mail?

If it only is good for a few people, and doesn't detract from the experience of the rest, it's still a good thing. Whether Apple would include it or not is another matter, and maybe you are right and hardly anyone likes mixing music. It's not like Apple makes and sells their own consumer oriented mixing program.

Fück, that's right, they do.

While the mixing featured in the may be/maybe not real picture is a different type, it's got the same huge target market. This wouldn't be just for DJs, but all the technically savvy people who enjoy music, and find it fun to make music of their own.

Yours sincerely (you tool),

Barto
  • Reply 33 of 47
    I did not read the whole post but I think its fake because:

iTunes is NOT a pro app. I view mixing as pro. I doubt this would be the only pro feature they would add. I also think Apple would do it sexier than this.. Also if Apple was going to add pro capabilities to iTunes I`m sure they would go for a better form of mixing than this..
  • Reply 34 of 47
    The mixing in the screenshots is not pro mixing... by any stretch of the imagination. It looks to me like it's a neat feature for tech savvy iTunes users who want to muck around with their music... just for fun. The programming effort involved in the feature wouldn't be extravagant.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Right thats what I was saying Barto, but really mixing of any kind takes iTunes closer to a pro app than it is now, no?

Also I can't really see the screen shot as the site is down that it was from. But I remember reading this thread a couple of days ago and glancing at the thumbnail so I dont really have much to go on anyways.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Just to recap, you've called me a bloody troll, a tool and you've told me to shut the ?uck up. I'm sure you're somebody's hero.

"Hell, how many people listen to iTunes radio stations? How many people use Exchange compatibility in Mail?"

Not a scientific poll by any means, but let's ask the oracle at Google about that:

Results for "iTunes radio stations" (those three words together) about 114.

Results for "Microsoft Exchange" (those two words together) about 1,720,000.

Results for "Microsoft Exchange" Apple Mail (narrowing it down for perspective): about 47,800.

Results for "iTunes DJ" (just those two words together): about 87.

::unsubscribes from thread::
  • Reply 37 of 47
    Quote:

Results for "iTunes DJ" (just those two words together): about 87.

Hey Enlightened One, Devout Leader, Son of God, All Who is Good, that's because the feature doesn't exist yet. If you search for "Mac OS X" "nuclear reactor", you get 344 results. You prove nothing.

Barto
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Huh. I thought I'd unsubscribed from the thread. Just as well... I'm less tired of it than I thought.

"If you search for "Mac OS X" "nuclear reactor", you get 344 results. You prove nothing."

Actually, I (you, that is, and thank you for it) prove quite well that there are more references to pages talking about Mac OS X and nuclear reactors together than there are references to iTunes and DJs (as indexed by Google, anyway.) About four times as many. How that helps your argument, I'm not sure. If there's a huge contingent of people, an untapped market, anxious for Apple to add DJ features like the ones previously mentioned into iTunes, they apparently have not figured out how to write about it on the web yet. Unless, in your world, fewer references to something on the web translates to more popularity or brand recognition or whatever.

I'm not going to resort to name-calling. That's weak. I'm sure you're a decent guy, but you're awfully upset about me not wanting the same features that you want in iTunes. "Making a product that doesn't benefit YOU isn't giving you the "brush off", it's satisfying demand." Well, I got news for you Barto: Seems like iTunes without DJing tools doesn't benefit you as much as it could, but for right now the demand for features like that probably isn't significant enough for Apple to include them. I may be wrong, and I'll be the first to admit it after MWSF or whenever.
  • Reply 39 of 47
    The lack of people yelling and screaming for DJ tools doesn't mean there isn't a market. You still prove nothing.
  • Reply 40 of 47
    Apple wouldn't get a big name DJ to endorse any computer based mixing Technology outside of the Stanton Final Scratch which still requires Turntables. Most good DJ's are hardcore Vinyl addicts. CD Decks are having a hard time even getting endorse but larger names.

Also, not everyone should be a DJ. If you can't beatmix by your ear, you shouldn't get a computer program to do it. DJ'ing is just as much of a musical skill as playing the guitar.

Apple doesn't need to get into the DJ Technology Business.