Future Apple Tablet

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
From the mind of Robert X. Gringley comes the following:

Quote:

Apple Computer has been decidedly absent from the tablet game. In part, this has to do with the failure of the Newton, which will always be associated in the mind of Steve Jobs with his former friend and nemesis John Sculley. "Real computers have keyboards," Steve has said a zillion times, and he'll mean it right up to the moment he changes his mind.

That moment appears to be coming soon.

Quanta, the Taiwanese company that makes many Apple notebooks, has been apparently switching its production to the new tablets, or at least that has been reported in the Taipei press since early this year. If this is the case that Apple is introducing such a machine as early as January, how is it likely to be different from the Windows-based tablet machines that have so far failed to excite buyers? And why, in the face of such lackluster sales, has Microsoft done another rev of its tablet operating system? What is it about this product niche that makes it so attractive to vendors despite more than a decade of failure?

The complete article here.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I don't buy it for one single second.

I'll eat a rotten egg and wash it down with sour milk if this actually pans out.

"Hey, let's make a niche product for a niche market for a niche platform! No one's asking for it, so it'll be great!"

And before anyone dings me with "hey pscates, I work in [fill in the blank] and I'D like one...", realize something: you're in the fringe minority. Learn to accept it.

And what you (or I, for that matter) would like ain't necessarily on Apple's roadmap.

It would be seen as a gimmicky toy to most. Priced out of reach for the rest (and anyone who'd probably like one). It's Apple. Do you honestly imagine them doing one for less than $1,199?

I don't know. I just can't see it. It would have to be really, really cool and special and have an extra added "OHMIGOSH!" feature or two to even make a slight dent or impact to the masses. What's 1% of 3% anyway?
  • Reply 2 of 40
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Doesn't quanta make computers for Dell and Gateway?
  • Reply 3 of 40
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    That article was a bit old. Had read it.

While there is admittedly a "wow" factor in regards to a tablet, it just ain't going to happen.

Sorry.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Here's what AtAT had to say about it if few weeks ago.

/shameless AtAT plug
  • Reply 5 of 40
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Doesn't quanta make computers for Dell and Gateway?

Yes, ...and Apple
  • Reply 6 of 40
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    5 days.

Correction: 3 1/2 days.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Likelihood of different events on the 6th:

Updated PMs 2/3

Signal from the american rover on Mars: 1/2

Steve resigning: 1/20

Apple buying Disney: 1/50

MiniPod: 1/100

WoMDs found in Iraq: 1/500

iBox: 1/10000

Second coming of Christ: 1/500000

Tablet: 1/1000000
  • Reply 8 of 40
    5 days?

More like 3 days.

This show seems like it is going to be pretty software heavy.

Not that that is bad mind you.

But it will disappoint many here.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    It's funny...it almost seems TOO quiet.

Usually, by this point, aren't we all ridiculously torqued up and breathless with anticipation?

Just seems a little more low-key than usual.

I think it'll be a good show, even if it is "only software". It's software that I use, and enjoy, all the time.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Beyond the rumor sites. Way beyond.

• Reply 11 of 40
    geddoegeddoe Posts: 45member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Usually, by this point, aren't we all ridiculously torqued up and breathless with anticipation?

Just seems a little more low-key than usual.

From the hardware side most things have been fairly recently updated. Only Xserve is overdue for an update and that doesn't need to happen at a Macworld.
  • Reply 12 of 40
    If something big is going to happen, Apple has kept some pretty airtight security on it.

Just hard to believe a 20th anniversary would come and go without something.

\
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Yeah, that's kinda what I was talking about. I realize the hardware has indeed been updated recently (most everything: iBooks, PowerBooks, iMacs and eMacs...G5 is kinda due, isn't it?).

But no matter what, the days leading up to the SF Expo are always bouncing with debate, mockups, "what if..." talk, etc.

Just doesn't seem to be much this year.

And yes...20th anniversary. It'll be SO odd if they don't do something to commemorate that. Could be a cool, one-off product (like the TAM) or, even better, a week of glorious, butt-kicking discounts at their online and retail stores.

Kinda a "hey, thanks for 20 years of talking us up, switching your buddies and family members, carrying our marketing water, staying faithful, putting up with PC-geeks making fun of you, answering stupid questions from Mac-ignorant co-workers and seeing us through some rough waters. Thanks to you, we rock. And now go enjoy 84% all software and hardware today and tomorrow!"

• Reply 14 of 40
    Anyone have a link for the feed yet?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    I suspect the people in the know at Apple are really having a good laugh reading about all the renewed rumors such as an iBox, a Tablet, a miniPod, etc. If the past is any indication, SJ is going to show something "completely different" then anyone expects.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Hi Steve
  • Reply 17 of 40
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    While it has become fashionable to put-down Tablet rumours, you just know the same people would be cooing and drooling over it 2 minutes after it was released

They couldn't build a Newton II fast enough, even the original one is still more useful than todays PDAs.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

While it has become fashionable to put-down Tablet rumours...

Then I must be mr. Smarty Pants

Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat

...you just know the same people would be cooing and drooling over it 2 minutes after it was released

They couldn't build a Newton II fast enough, even the original one is still more useful than todays PDAs.

I agree completly but it would be very bad economy for Apple. BUT I DESERVE IT (and so do Fran)
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat While it has become fashionable to put-down Tablet rumours, you just know the same people would be cooing and drooling over it 2 minutes after it was released

I can't speak for any other "putter-downers", but I honestly don't - and never have - long for a tablet or anything of the sort from Apple, so no...I doubt I'd be cooing or drooling. I'd probably go "well that's cool...too bad is shares the fate of the G4 Cube..." and get back to my PowerBook or iMac.

If you want to see me coo or drool over something, they could drop the eMac to about $499 so I could buy all my friends and family one.

Or start making stuff in translucent orange again...iWhore that I can be.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    blackcatblackcat Posts: 697member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I agree completly but it would be very bad economy for Apple. BUT I DESERVE IT (and so do Fran)

Metoo

Cube aside (and only the price was wrong) they know what to do. I think Ives could weave his magic and create a device as desirable as the iPod. Jobs mantra of "PDAs don't sell" is getting weak now Palm has got it's price/performance sorted. At least in Europe mobiles are throw away things you upgrade annually for free whereas you keep buying PDAs as features improve.

All the pieces are there - iSync, Addressbook, ARD, Ink, iCal even mobile Quicktime - I think it's a case of when not if.