Official! New iPods!!!!

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Yup -- the point about the 15GB being only $50 more is well-taken. However, if you're a consumer, $50 is $50. If a dad's out shopping for his 12-year-old, he's going to choose the model that's $50 more, not $100 more. But it does make me wonder -- I guess the miniaturization process is that costly? I'm curious to see this colored anodized aluminum in person, too.
  • Reply 42 of 110
    homhom Posts: 1,098member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 3.1416

Yes, in a vacuum $249 isn't unreasonable. But it's not in a vacuum; the 15 GB model is only $50 more, so I don't see why anybody would buy the mini. Yeah, it's tiny and cute, but so was the Cube.

No, it's not a vacuum. For $219 you can get thisPOS Rio that is only 1.5GB or you cen get this over priced 256 MB player. Rio will go the way of the dodo in a few months.
  • Reply 43 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebrie

These are totally different products. the iPod Mini goes after the flash market. It's like comparing $/ghz with Mac vs PC.

What is this "flash market" exactly, though? Who is in it that would buy a $249 iPod Mini yet couldn't be sold on getting another 11 GB of storage for 50 bucks?

What demographic is Apple going after here? The Asian market sounds plausible, but they wouldn't make this the topper of a MWSF keynote if it were just for Japan.

I'm really torn on this one... one second I think it's great, the next I think it sucks. \
  • Reply 44 of 110
    imantaimanta Posts: 29member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Carson O'Genic

You can say that about everything Apple or any other tech firm produces. All this whining reminds me of when the iPod first came out. "Its' just an mp3 player with a hard drive and it costs so much!" Well, did you see the sales chart have you read all the press? Sales are climbing and now they offer more choice and a greater range of prices. If you want a $99 iPod you can wait a few years while the rest of us have fun with our iPods.

Actually, this isn't what I said... the statement I was making was related to the price "ranges" between a mini and regular. I can pay 50 bucks more for the latest and greatest 15GB iPod, so why go for the 4GB version? In terms of size, it really isn't as dramatic as everyone is making it out to be. The colors are awesome, but are they worth it? Lastly, this doesn't really seem like price differentation when the iPods themselves are separated by 100 dollar increments.

Just as an additional note, don't assume we won't buy one because the price is high, it has never stopped me before.. after all it is still Apple :-)
  • Reply 45 of 110
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tetzel1517

What is this "flash market" exactly, though? Who is in it that would buy a $249 iPod Mini yet couldn't be sold on getting another 11 GB of storage for 50 bucks?

Probably for running, exercising, etc. The mini is roughly 40% less in weight and volume than a 40GB iPod. If I were in the market, I'd buy a mini: 1000 songs at any given time is fine for me.
  • Reply 46 of 110
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

There are no moving parts. (Not counting the scroll wheel) If I encounter those conditions I would use a flash player instead of my iPod.

Does this mini iPod have a moving scroll wheel? I thought it was still solid state touch pad but with clickable buttons tucked underneath.
  • Reply 47 of 110
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Originally posted by shatteringglass

It all depends on what is worth more to you. 9GB or $50. I'll pick the 9GB.

An interesting comment, looks like Apple found a sneaky but successful way to do two things here.

1.) If people would rather have the 9 GB they will have to shell out $50 more than they would for the smaller iPod...but they will still be buying an Apple product and spending $300.

2.) Some people just WILL NOT spend $300 on a music player and maybe this new iPod will be more reasonable, at least in the minds of some budget tight people and the 9 GB of storage is not an issue with them. Some people I'm sure care not about the storage as strongly as they do the bottom line, and $50 is a nice chunk of savings....also take into account the fact that this iPod is $230 for education.

Apple is leading in market share in the MP3 player market while having offered very expensive players. There is no need to hurry and sacrifice profit at this point in order to bolster an already outrageous market share. Nobody is coming close to catching up with the current iPods, now the small, colorful, cheap MP3 player market just got a new kid on the block...and it's badass. Apple will undoubtedly lower prices as it sees fit and I think they have secured themselves for a long, long time into the future as the leader in the MP3 player/computer music market. Great job Steve Jobs
  • Reply 48 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Does this mini iPod have a moving scroll wheel? I thought it was still solid state touch pad but with clickable buttons tucked underneath.

The scroll wheel is solid state. You push the sides to click the buttons.
  • Reply 49 of 110
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The market is very complex. Some want small size.... others don't care about size (within reason). Some want enormous capacity, others want less. People and their needs are not the same. When you use your own wants as a basis you'll either fall into the Yes or No camp.

One question: Any info on which hard drive is being used. I suspect it is a Toshiba 1 inch. The Rio introduced today seems to use a 1 1/2 inch drive based on the size of the player.
  • Reply 50 of 110
    jginsbujginsbu Posts: 135member
    $229 for education.

Don't forget how much of the market is students.
  • Reply 51 of 110
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Let's go through Joe Consumer's thought process:[list=a][*]"I have this trip I'd like to go on. I need to put my 150 mp3s on a player. Huh. I wonder what players are out there."[*]Joe goes to Google, and types in "portable mp3 player."[*]He sees an ad for iPod on some mp3 site with a bunch of listings for other (under $250 players) and thinks, "I've heard about that iPod. I'll check it out."[*]He clicks, and discovers at Apple's web site that the iPod mini can hold 1,000 songs for $249.[*]"Huh," he thinks, "I don't know that I want to pay THAT much. That other site had some for $179, and those models would still leave some room for expansion when I get more songs. I'll try back there."[*]Apple lost a sale.[/list=a]

They're ALL portable music players folks. People FIRST look at price, then style, then features. Unfortunately, Apple is marketing the iPod mini in the wrong order.
  • Reply 52 of 110
    You have to figure in a couple things here:

-The 4GB Rio that was announced today is the same price

-They will be giving away all those songs through the Pepsi promotion which will probably boost iPod sales

-They are betting on people following the "$50 for almost 4x the capacity" in order to sell more of the expensive ones

I think they will lower the prices once the Pepsi promo is over.

On a side not: Please, let those colors be nicer in real life. They look awfully girly on the website.
  • Reply 53 of 110
    Quote:

Originally posted by CosmoNut

Let's go through Joe Consumer's thought process:[list=a][*]"I have this trip I'd like to go on. I need to put my 150 mp3s on a player. Huh. I wonder what players are out there.[*]Joe goes to Google, and types in "portable mp3 player."[*]He sees an ad for iPod on some mp3 site with a bunch of listings for other (under $250 players) and thinks, "I've heard about that iPod. I'll check it out."[*]He clicks, and discovers at Apple's web site that the iPod mini can hold 1,000 songs for $249.[*]"Huh," he thinks, "I don't know that I want to pay THAT much. That other site had some for $179, and those models would still leave some room for expansion when I get more songs. I'll try back there."[*]Apple lost a sale.[/list=a]

They're ALL portable music players folks. People FIRST look at price, then style, then features. Unfortunately, Apple is marketing the iPod mini in the wrong order.

Wait, show me that $179 MP3 player that will hold 150 songs.
  • Reply 54 of 110
    Looking at the iPod mini price issue from a different angle for a moment.

With all the rumors of $99 iPods following very good Christmas sales perhaps Apple are reacting to events a bit and a) want to cash in on the iPods must have status b) purposely maintained the price a bit higher than expected in order to reiterate the quality of the brand and the product - that is to keep it desirable. Did anyone else notice the "so what" attitude of the audience at the expo to the M$ offer of a free office X upgrade to Office 2004, clever market saturation on their part perhaps but not likely to create a lot of desire. Apple's new iPod mini has provoked in most people that same old feeling that Apple products always do - desire and resentment at the price. This way at least they can reduce the price a bit in a few months (and don't forget also that the dollar is on the floor right now so that affects things too) but when they do they will already have enough mind-share in terms of quality and desire. The momentum in this market is all with Apple, after all.
  • Reply 55 of 110
    Quote:

Apple is leading in market share in the MP3 player market while having offered very expensive players. There is no need to hurry and sacrifice profit at this point in order to bolster an already outrageous market share.

You rarely get a second chance to squeeze out the competition.

$249 gives the competition some room to live in. $200 is big psychological barrier, price-wise. True, the sub-$200 MP3 players are crap, and anyone with even two connected brain cells will realize that an extra $50 gets you way more in value, but I suspect that a certain segment of the target demographic just won't spend more than $200, and the pricing of the mini-iPod doesn't get to that segment. This gives the competitors another 6-12 months to get their act together, as opposed to $199, which would crush the rebellion with one swift stroke!

(Sorry, the new "Star Wars" title effect is getting to me )
  • Reply 56 of 110
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The price obviously prevents the new miniPods from cannibalizing the sales of the regular iPods. The only questions are: do you want color? how important is the smaller size to you? is saving $50 worth it?

I think the price can drop if needed. Of course, I've said that before, and I've always been wrong with regard to Apple, save a modest price break or two. What's more likely is that as the iPod HD volumes increase, the miniPod Flash memory will increase, and this model will be bumped into a lower cost bracket with another at $250 taking its place.
  • Reply 57 of 110
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Where the heck are all you people coming up with this notion that Apple will lower the price?

And even if they do, it's more likely to happen a year from now...not likely after some Pepsi promotion a month away.

I think Apple lost a chance at going for the jugular. Will it sell? Yes, and probably briskly...but breaking the psychological $200 barrier ($199) would have opened the floodgates.
  • Reply 58 of 110
    For $269, I can get the 20Gb Rio Karma. Why I should I pay $20 less for 16Gb less?
  • Reply 59 of 110
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    Quote:

People FIRST look at price, then style, then features.

If that was the case I don't think Apple would have sold 2 million iPods.

Quote:

the miniPod Flash memory will increase

Huh? The iPod Mini has a HD not flash memory.
  • Reply 60 of 110
    CNBC is gushing all over the new iPod mini. Their analyst just said that Apple owned the MP3 market and people should start selling their competitor's stock.